NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

25 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Geez, I wake up this morning and I have a whole bunch of stuff to read (which I don't have the time for). 

And on top of that you’re busy celebrating the 80th anniversary of our beloved princess and former Queen Beatrix, you busy lad!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, markderoos said:

And on top of that you’re busy celebrating the 80th anniversary of our beloved princess and former Queen Beatrix, you busy lad!

She will always be my Queen!

• Thanks 1

Speaking to Japanese financial outlet Nikkei, (link in Japanese), Tatsumi Kimishima revealed that he wants to continue support for the Switch beyond 5/6 years to up to a decade. 

I think that this is probably as a result of the 3DS’s prolonged success since its 2011 launch, and with the 3DS being sold as the budget option to play Nintendo games now that the Switch is out, I believe that the Switch will eventually become the budget option to whatever Nintendo has in store next (the Super Switch, I guess?).

Edited by Julius Caesar

17 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Speaking to Japanese financial outlet Nikkei, (link in Japanese), Tatsumi Kimishima revealed that he wants to continue support for the Switch beyond 5/6 years to up to a decade. 

I think that this is probably as a result of the 3DS’s prolonged success since its 2011 launch, and with the 3DS being sold as the budget option to play Nintendo games now that the Switch is out, I believe that the Switch will eventually become the budget option to whatever Nintendo has in store next (the Super Switch, I guess?).

I'd be very happy with that. For the past year or so anytime I've listened to gaming podcasts i've noticed that a lot of them seem to want the 3DS to be killed off and seem bothered that Nintendo are still releasing games for it but I feel the total opposite. I think its great that it gets supported after all these years and is a great budget handheld now. If in 6/7 years time the Switch is in the same situation I think that would be a good thing.

13 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I'd be very happy with that. For the past year or so anytime I've listened to gaming podcasts i've noticed that a lot of them seem to want the 3DS to be killed off and seem bothered that Nintendo are still releasing games for it but I feel the total opposite. I think its great that it gets supported after all these years and is a great budget handheld now. If in 6/7 years time the Switch is in the same situation I think that would be a good thing.

I couldn’t agree more.

In addition, it just shows a lot of respect to their existing customers: not everyone has the disposable income to make the jump to Switch within two years of launch (heck, I haven’t made the jump yet). It also makes the Nintendo brand as a whole something that parents/guardians might find easier to invest in with continued support of a now budget option, and will continue to help to introduce plenty of people to Nintendo’s IPs, much like their jump into the mobile game space has.

17 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I couldn’t agree more.

In addition, it just shows a lot of respect to their existing customers: not everyone has the disposable income to make the jump to Switch within two years of launch (heck, I haven’t made the jump yet). It also makes the Nintendo brand as a whole something that parents/guardians might find easier to invest in with continued support of a now budget option, and will continue to help to introduce plenty of people to Nintendo’s IPs, much like their jump into the mobile game space has.

Yeah completely agree. For example I didn't get my Xbox 360 until early 2010, which was a good 5 years into that consoles life cycle. Not only was it still going strong at that point, it still had some of its best years ahead of it. In the end it was supported for more then a decade, which was fantastic. I like that Nintendo are going this route with longer support and it seems to be working out well with the 3DS.

I was pretty disappointed at the prospect of games like Samus Returns coming out exclusively on 3DS, mainly because I didn't think I'd be able to readjust to using such a small handheld but i've enjoyed playing the 3DS over the last year just as much as I would have if the Switch wasn't around. 

I don't think people will have the same feelings with the Switch though, I think it's going to be more of an eco-system that a traditional console or handheld, so even if they release a higher spec version in a few years then it'll still support original Switch games in the same way the 3DS supported DS games.

18 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Yeah completely agree. For example I didn't get my Xbox 360 until early 2010, which was a good 5 years into that consoles life cycle. Not only was it still going strong at that point, it still had some of its best years ahead of it. In the end it was supported for more then a decade, which was fantastic. I like that Nintendo are going this route with longer support and it seems to be working out well with the 3DS.

Shame they fucked us so hard on the Wii U then innit ;)

It's swings and roundabouts. You can say they were doing this with 3DS but why not with Wii U? It's all just business really - the Switch is doing well so why wouldn't you look to support a successful looking venture long-term?

They supported the Wii U, a commercial failure, for four years. I got my money's worth, there were lots of amazing games on the console.

Pleased to hear they're planning to support the Switch for a long time though.

14 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Shame they fucked us so hard on the Wii U then innit ;)

It's swings and roundabouts. You can say they were doing this with 3DS but why not with Wii U? It's all just business really - the Switch is doing well so why wouldn't you look to support a successful looking venture long-term?

As much as I wish they'd supported the Wii U a little while longer, it was completely understandable that they didn't considering the sales it had. But looking back to their more successful console,the Wii, I felt like they abandoned it by the end of 2010. From there it was just a waiting game for Skyward Sword which only came out as late as it did due to several delays. It's weird to think the Wii came and went during the 360's lifetime and the 360 was still having a healthy amount of releases longer after. At least now it seems they will not completely move on once 4-5 years has passed :)

• Like 1

I know this is random as hell, but I really hope that Nintendo are working on a new Star Fox for Switch!

I loved SFZero to pieces and I just want more! It’s a real shame that they didn’t have time to add more on-rails levels and I really want to see them continue on from where it left off!

The last few years have been amazing for Star Fox fans, with both SFZ and SF2 seeing release.  I just hope that they don’t give up all the momentum the series currently has! Continue Fox’s comeback Nintendo! (And give us a story/new set of villains/new worlds that aren’t another retelling for SF/SF64! Just carry on with the story that you rebooted in SFZ!)

• Thanks 1

Star Fox has recieved a lot of negative feedback however so I’m afraid the franchise is getting a bit tainted. Same with Star Fox Adventures when that came out.

Most critics and gamers seem to just want the franchise to remain true to how it was on SNES and N64.

Personally, I didn’t really mind some of the gameplay mechanics being experimental, or felt shoehorned in to show of dual screen or motion controls for example. And with Adventures I really liked the freshness.

Even Guard left me wanting more.

I hope they don’t loose their desire to expand the SF Universe after the recent backlash. And I wish they would try the same with other IP. The worlds of F-Zero, Kid Icarus and Punch-Out!! Have so many excellent characters in it that beg for some more attention :)

To me, Starfox Zero was a backwards step from Assault. Zero was too obsessed with remaking 64 to be much good. It just felt so dated. 

In my country they have finally increased the worth of things you can buy and not have to pay a lot of different taxes (it will be official soon). It went from 50KM (22-23 pounds) to 300KM (130-140 pounds) so I will not have to wait for sales on eshop to get games.

"Small" step for UK, but a huge step for me :D.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This purported LinkedIn listing has Bandai Namco working on two projects exclusively for the Switch: Ridge Racer 8 and an unannounced IP which is a first-person shooter adventure.

linkedin-646x825.jpg

Some have taken this to mean that they're working on Metroid Prime 4, which would tie in nicely with the supposed leak from a few months ago which detailed that they were working on MP4, but I think it being slated as being for an unannounced IP goes some way towards debunking that particular line of thought. Either way, if this turns out to be accurate, I'm happy to see Nintendo continuing to strengthen its relationship with third parties that they have already developed some good games with.

Namco have been the rumoured developer of MP4 for some time, so this leak is probably true.

Cant exactly say I’m enthused by the idea.  Namco have done some great work as a co-developer on Nintendo’s games (like in Mario Kart 8), but when they take the reigns as the primary developer (like in Star Fox Assault), not so much; and Namco appear to be the primary developer here...

Not to mention that Namco have no real expertise in this kind of game (unlike with Pokken, where it was made by the Tekken team and was obviously a fighting game, the team’s speciality); leaving me with little reason to assume that it’s gonna turn out well...

Not exactly feeling confident in the game at this point.  It’s no surprise that Nintendo didn’t want to say who was making the game...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FalcoLombardi said:

I do not own a Switch, but I do own a 128 GB micro SD card, a Switch screen protector, and a Switch carrying case.

Almost there! ;)

It's basically the same if you're good at pretending and make all the right noises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bob said:

It's basically the same if you're good at pretending and make all the right noises.

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-E

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

How are people finding FIFA?  It's on sale at the minute so I might pick it up.

It’s the first FIFA since the N64 days that I’ve tried but I found it extremely overwhelming with al these modes and options. But I guess if you’ve recently enjoyed a FIFA game on XBox, PC or Playstation, €30,- is well worth it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, V. Amoleo said:

How are people finding FIFA?  It's on sale at the minute so I might pick it up.

I got it for Xmas and i've been really enjoying it. It's a huge improvement over the one on Wii U, online is much more stable and the career mode is a lot less cumbersome. As markderoos said it can be a bit overwhelming seeing all the different modes but it just means there are a lot of options for how to play, personally i've barely touched the Ultimate Team mode but have got pretty much daily play out of the career and online seasons modes, whereas my brother is the complete opposite and has barely touched anything but UT.

• Thanks 2

When asked about how their games are faring on the Nintendo Switch in an interview with EDGE, Square Enix president and CEO Yosuke Matsuda responded that:

They haven’t done badly! Obviously it only came out last March, so it hasn’t been long, but of all the publishers who are working on Switch we’ve done quite a few things. It’s a very attractive platform – there are a lot of people within the company that are looking to make games for Switch.

I can't wait to see what else SE has planned for Switch, especially after the success of Project Octopath Traveller. Hopefully they'll be 100% on board when Nintendo decides that it's time to get the good ol' Virtual Console up and running on Switch :D