NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

There's three versions, two of which is full of preloaded microtransaction rubbish. This game is getting a lot of grief for having such predatory in-game currency.

Edited by Ronnie

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

There's three versions, two of which is full of preloaded microtransaction rubbish. This game is getting a lot of grief for having such predatory in-game currency.

Yup. Absolutely shocking. More outlets should be calling them out on this. What makes it worse is that the base game is a buggy mess, with audio issues happening and saves corrupting. These issues aren't only on the Switch version but everyone other version as well.

Enjoyed this little treat from Jim F'n Sterling, son.

Stay well clear of this game. 2K should be ashamed of this bullshit. Anyone who buys this is complicit in swinging the industry further and further to microtransaction bullshittery.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dazzybee said:

Like SGC said, the downloaded games won't mean anything traded in, better selling it on eBay and adding these to the value I reckon.

I do have a lot of games on the Wii U but I Assume I would need to delete my account before I sell it and the games would then become unplayable as they are linked to the account. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to go about preparing the system to sell.

9 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Stay well clear of this game. 2K should be ashamed of this bullshit. Anyone who buys this is complicit in swinging the industry further and further to microtransaction bullshittery.

Yup. Absolutely disgusting. These things should not be in a fully priced game. Jim doing good work again.

Digital Foundry put Doom on Switch through it's paces.

EDIT: Video has been removed due to DF jumping the gun and breaking the embargo

Key points:

• They're impressed, but it's 30fps
  • Port by Panic Button, who are also doing the Rocket League Switch port
  • Most ambitious cross platform Switch port yet
  • "Utterly insane, how did they do that?"
  • Post Process Pipeline mostly intact Depth of field reduced but not removed
  •  Resolution is lower on Switch
  •  Reduced Textures
Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 1

Looks really really good.  So that's probably running in 720p in docked mode? Very very impressive!

Lets just hope for gyro aiming...

On 9/20/2017 at 10:15 PM, Nicktendo said:

Sorry for going off topic from the title of the thread but this is very relevant to the conversation about this game. Have you seen what has happened with the The Sixth Axis review? The reviewer gave the game a 3/10 due to all the microtransaction garbage. Later on the score from the review disappeared and this statement was made.

Update: In discussion with 2K Games, we’ve temporarily removed the score pending a statement with regard to our criticisms, at which point it will be reinstated. Additionally, a draft conclusion was posted that incorrectly characterised our score as a protest vote, and has been reworded to reflect that our criticisms are rooted in the effect that VC and microtransactions have on the gameplay.

No other outlet has been asked to alter or remove their score. The reviewer had this to say on Gaf.

Hello. Reviewer here. After review went live I've had no direct contact with 2K, instead their PR is chatting with my editor. All I know is that 2K are to issue a statement of some sort regarding issues raised in the review. Of course the real issue is what updates the 2K18's VC system gets. 

Just think of this as a review now in progress. If things remain unchanged so will my opinion.

I'm not in direct contact with their PR department. Going through the site editor instead. Obviously ruffled quite a few feathers.

No doubt 2K threaten to blacklist the site if the review score wasn't taken down or adjusted. Absolutely shocking stuff.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Thanks 2

Disgusting. Absolutely foul.

As the Jimquisition vid posted above shows, a lot of Steam Reviews are calling them out on this scummy practice. One can dream that it makes some difference...

The reviewer has posted a bit more about the situation.

I'm going to step in real quick before bed.

So at TSA we're all just guys who do the video game stuff outside our day jobs. While some of us have some media training the site doesn't generate the kind of cash that allows us to do this full time. We're no IGN, Kotaku or Eurogamer.

That said I will support my editor's decision precisely because no one here including myself knows what has been said between the parties involved. 

Have blacklists been threatened? I don't know.

Will the review score change? I don't know. Though my personal position is if the game doesn't ease up on the VC then it won't.

Honestly while the aim was to help highlight the issue, like Kotaku and Jim Sterling have, I don't think anyone at TSA thought it would get this much attention. 

Just like you we're waiting on a statement from 2K. Just like you we don't know what will be said or what changes will be announced, if any. Right now I can't shed anymore light on the situation.

• Thanks 1

Rolling Stone spoke to Bethesda about Doom and discovered that the game will be targeting 720p in both docked and handheld modes, although I expect the game will still run at a variable resolution as it does on other platforms, it will run closer to that 720p target when docked. 

1 minute ago, Charlie said:

That does look cool. How does it compare to other projectors in terms of specs?

No idea, this was the first Switch projector I've seen and I don't know enough about regular projectors to be able to compare. From what I can gather, if you point a projector up at the moon and can still watch the movie clearly then its a good one.

• Like 1

Ultra Street Fighter 2 sold more in its release weekend in the UK (Nintendo's weakest market), than the latest big Marvel v Capcom game on PS4/XBO. Very embarrassing for Capcom, who laughed off porting it to the Switch when asked a while back. Joke's on them.

Edited by Ronnie

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Ultra Street Fighter 2 sold more in its release weekend in the UK (Nintendo's weakest market), than the latest big Marvel v Capcom game on PS4/XBO. Very embarrassing for Capcom, who laughed off porting it to the Switch when asked a while back. Joke's on them.

I doubt a Switch version would have made much of a difference. The game had bomba written all over it. As I said in the Pokken thread ( the topic is also being discussed in there ) the game is coming out post Tekken 7 and Injustice 2, both of which raised the bar for fighters in terms of content, especially the latter. MvC:I looked bare bones and rushed in comparison.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

A Switch version would have likely sold more than the other two platforms, maybe even combined. People are hungry for games to play on their new toy, releasing games for a new platform in its 6-12 months would be smart.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I doubt a Switch version would have made much of a difference. The game had bomba written all over it. As I said in the Pokken thread ( the topic is also being discussed in there ) the game is coming out post Tekken 7 and Injustice 2, both of which raised the bar for fighters in terms of content, especially the latter. MvC:I looked bare bones and rushed in comparison.

Just another example of Capcom doing things wrong. You have the SFV debacle and now this. 

Just now, Ronnie said:

A Switch version would have likely sold more than the other two platforms, maybe even combined. People are hungry for games to play on their new toy, releasing games for a new platform in its 6-12 months would be smart.

It would have been going up against Pokken, which wouldn't be a good idea. I mean, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 was released this week on the Switch, a game many were looking forward to, but that failed to make the charts. Not to mention things like Thimbleweed Park and Steamworld Dig 2 also were released this week. People only have so much money and time.

I agree that releasing games in the first 6 months of a new console does work wonders ( this is probably why Street Fighter II sold so well )  but given the amount of games now on the Switch at the moment, as well as the bad reputation MvC:I had before release, I doubt that the Switch version would have fared much better. 

2 minutes ago, liger05 said:

Just another example of Capcom doing things wrong. You have the SFV debacle and now this. 

Exactly. They've completely lost the plot when it comes to their fighters. They keep pushing them as GaaS instead of building a solid foundation. They should have learnt lessons from what they done with SFV but clearly they didnt.

Yeah to be fair, I bought street fighter and enjoyed it, but I was desparate for more to play on my Switch. 

If it was released now, I definitely don't think I'd have bothered picking it up with all the other stuff I've got to play.