NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Good business sense? Getting the consumer excited? It sounds like its once again a case of Nintendo trying to spin what is already a simple solution into something that it need not be. Just let players copy their saves onto an online server. It's that simple. 

If this doesn't launch with their online setup next year then I have little hope that it will ever be an option.

@dazzybee has your Switch been located yet?

He's basically admitting there that they nixed local save backups in order to prevent piracy (which makes sense, seeing as how the 3DS and Wii U were initially hacked thanks to save hacks and web browser exploits - both of which were nixed from Switch).

The obvious answer to the problem is cloud saves; but that probably won't come until the paid service launches (cloud saves come with a cost on their end after all).

Edited by Dcubed

Then they should really look into making better security for their devices. I mean, both the other consoles have web browsers and aren't plagued with piracy issues. The PS4 even allows for saved data to be copied onto a USB device. I think Microsoft dropped this support on the One,  but they had cloud saves ready for the player to use, just like they done during the 360 era.

It just comes off as Nintendo being incompetent and once again late to the party when it comes to online features.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I would say it's baffling as to why we haven't got a cloud save option but it just goes hand in hand with the rest of Nintendo's very basic online setup. While stuff like messaging and party chat may be seen as fluff by many, the option to backup ones save should have been there on day one.

Good business sense? Getting the consumer excited? It sounds like its once again a case of Nintendo trying to spin what is already a simple solution into something that it need not be. Just let players copy their saves onto an online server. It's that simple. 

If this doesn't launch with their online setup next year then I have little hope that it will ever be an option.

@dazzybee has your Switch been located yet?

YES!!!!!! I got an email from the airport this morning saying they have it!! So fucking happy!! My hori stand was here too when I came back to taunt me, but now I can't wait to try some vertical Namco games!

• Like 14

1 minute ago, dazzybee said:

YES!!!!!! I got an email from the airport this morning saying they have it!! So fucking happy!! My hori stand was here too when I came back to taunt me, but now I can't wait to try some vertical Namco games!

Great stuff! Crisis averted. :bouncy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Then they should really look into making better security for their devices. I mean, both the other consoles have web browsers and aren't plagued with piracy issues. The PS4 even allows for saved data to be copied onto a USB device. I think Microsoft dropped this support on the One,  but they had cloud saves ready for the player to use, just like they done during the 360 era.

It just comes off as Nintendo being incompetent and once again late to the party when it comes to online features.

Yeah, it is ridiculous. The fact there still ins't a proper account system like the others is baffling too. The switch, however much I think is utterly incredible, is bizarrely gimped. No additional services, where's this video recording, themes, cloud saves, ability do have more switches and download games to, virtual bloody console etc? I wonder if the success means they're not rushing it, they don't need to, and almost want to use the extra features as sales weapons.

10 minutes ago, dazzybee said:

Really happy for you mate! Congrats, glad to know the staff knows proper customer service. 

Nintendo really needs to fix cloud saves as soon as possible... I've lost over 105 hours of Zelda playtime, and I keep seeing more people who has similar problems. Seeing as this is a portable console, there is a higher risk of the system getting lost or stolen. If they don't have a way to back up save files, they are basically asking for negative customer experiences. Get your sh*t together Nintendo. 

• Like 1

The lack of cloud saves is ridiculous. The lack of any info on when data backup will be an option again is ridiculous. 

I genuinely believe Nintendo launched the switch not even concerned about the lack of of ability to back up data. It screams of Nintendo seeing it as not a major issue so the gamer can go without. 

I just wish the media called them out of more on this. When Reggie gave that BS quote the media should of came back up at him telling him what a pathetic answer that was. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, liger05 said:

I just wish the media called them out of more on this. 

I totally agree and it's one of my biggest pet peeves in the gaming industry. However, the companies have to play nice in order to get the interviews in the first place. If they start asking questions that are not rehearsed and putting PR people on the spot then they won't get any more time with these people. No interviews means no clicks for their sites. There are a few journalists who do ask some hard hitting questions, though. David Jenkins, who writes for Metro, in the past has done some great interviews with various people who work in the industry and he's quite open about what he says. It's very refreshing to see someone who doesn't play the rules. In some of his interviews you can really se he has the person he's interviewing on the ropes and the spin that comes out of said person is hilarious. :D

Last page people are asking why SF isn't being supported - this page people are talking about the Switch's still sub-par online features. Can't help but wonder if those two things might go hand in hand, especially with something like SF where people are more likely to play each other online than offline these days...

(Tho Switch's portability is good for local, as was said with Wii U both should be easy options)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, liger05 said:

The lack of cloud saves is ridiculous. The lack of any info on when data backup will be an option again is ridiculous. 

I genuinely believe Nintendo launched the switch not even concerned about the lack of of ability to back up data. It screams of Nintendo seeing it as not a major issue so the gamer can go without. 

I vaguely remember at one of the investors meetings a couple of years back, that they mentioned cloud saves for the NX. I always assumed that would be up and ready by the time the console came out but for some reason it isn't

Nice to see, but I can't justify a purchase if it doesn't have the original music.  The new soundtrack is terrible.

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Nice to see, but I can't justify a purchase if it doesn't have the original music.  The new soundtrack is terrible.

I don't mind it so much, although I do prefer the original there were a few songs on the new soundtrack i actually preferred. Regardless of what soundtrack they use, as I already own the game on Steam, 360 and my Wii U and this point so i doubt I'll buy it a 4th time. Even if its one of my favourite games.

Saw you online last night @dazzybee, welcome back. I still don't get how you could just leave your Switch on a plane though. Given how awful the online and save system is, my 140 hour Zelda save file would take precedent over anything else, car keys, phone, girlfriend. That's the first thing I'd make sure was with me and I'd be cradling it until I got back to my front door.

• Like 5

So.. my Fiancée likes platformer games like yoshi and poochy on 3ds, the kirby robot one as well... So she quite fancied the idea of getting a 3ds.. so I am looking at the new 2ds XL.. but I already own a 3ds xl, and would rather like a switch. So I was just curious, what games are there on the switch that could maybe help me justify an extra couple of hundred on the hardware? I'm also interested in games that might be good for us to play together... I'm guessing that the shortages at the moment make a price cut unlikely for the time being! :(

29 minutes ago, Pestneb said:

So.. my Fiancée likes platformer games like yoshi and poochy on 3ds, the kirby robot one as well... So she quite fancied the idea of getting a 3ds.. so I am looking at the new 2ds XL.. but I already own a 3ds xl, and would rather like a switch. So I was just curious, what games are there on the switch that could maybe help me justify an extra couple of hundred on the hardware? I'm also interested in games that might be good for us to play together... I'm guessing that the shortages at the moment make a price cut unlikely for the time being! :(

In terms of games that would interest your fiancée, there's not a lot out there at the moment. Platformers are in short supply and its a genre I'm really missing on the Switch. There are one or two indie games that may help scratch that itch but these aren't the same as playing Nintendo's own offerings.

Next year will have Kirby and Yoshi platformers released on the platform, so there is those to look forward to.

There are plenty of local play opportunities to be had on the Switch, though. So it could be a good invest for the games that offer that.

Theres also a little game called Splatoon 2 but if I remember correctly you didn't really like the first game. :D

A price cut isn't happening any time soon. Stock is short and the demand is still there.

• Like 1

Sonic Mania is out this week, Mario Odyssey in October. Don't need much more than that. :p

Shovel Knight and Monster Boy are on the eShop as well.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In terms of games that would interest your fiancée, there's not a lot out there at the moment. Platformers are in short supply and its a genre I'm really missing on the Switch. There are one or two indie games that may help scratch that itch but these aren't the same as playing Nintendo's own offerings.

Next year will have Kirby and Yoshi platformers released on the platform, so there is those to look forward to.

There are plenty of local play opportunities to be had on the Switch, though. So it could be a good invest for the games that offer that.

Theres also a little game called Splatoon 2 but if I remember correctly you didn't really like the first game. :D

A price cut isn't happening any time soon. Stock is short and the demand is still there.

True! I don't have a switch so game announcements aren't sticking too well!
Well.. does splatoon 2 have local co-op at all? if it does I may very well get it, if not it sadly is likely to drop down the list (Priority to games that interest both of us really.. plus for the time being splatoon is scratching that itch for me!)

If I get one I suspect it will be next year, if she is interested of course... so Kirby and Yoshi may be out by then, plus who knows, maybe a price cut? (that's mainly wishful thinking.. I think the Wii U was out two years before retailers tried to reduce their inventory and gave a few nice deals!)

If not new 2ds it will be!

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

Sonic Mania is out this week, Mario Odyssey in October. Don't need much more than that. :p

Shovel Knight and Monster Boy are on the eShop as well.

For me there are a few games, but I'll also be getting a number of new demands on my income so gaming is definitely going to take a hit... just the last couple of years it's slowed right down to a trickle - I have never been so grateful for a backlog as I am right now!!!! :D

It's funny to think of just how much of a multiplayer powerhouse the Switch has already turned into!

But at the same time, it's really slim pickings if you're looking for a  substantial single player experience.  There's only one single game that fits the bill (BOTW) and though it it's very substantial, if it doesn't click with you (which it doesn't for me, at all.), there's practically nothing right now unless you count late ports and Wonderboy (as great as it is, I wouldn't really say it's all that substantial though).

Luckily we've got Sonic Mania next week, Mario + Rabbids at the end of the month and Mario Odyssey in about 3 months time, so not too long to go until there's something else (no, I still don't think that Xenoblade 2 is coming out this year, I refuse to believe :p )

I've actually been playing my 3DS more than my Switch recently.  It's lineup this year is pretty killer (and that's not counting the backlog!).  Switch will get there eventually no doubt (remember the early days of the 3DS? I certainly do!), but I get the feeling that it's gonna take longer for the software schedule to catch up compared to the 3DS' early days; especially with how the major 3rd parties are still slow on the uptake and how long HD games take to make.

I'm the same, Dcubed. It's hard to pull away from my 2DS at the moment. There's so many quality titles to catch up on and the recent releases have all been top notch, single player experiences. Something, as you pointed out, the Switch is really lacking at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pestneb said:

I recommend Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.  It's expensive, not lengthy and you can't comb the levels as much as in the typical Nintendo game, but in terms of how it looks, sounds and plays, the quality is right up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grazza said:

I recommend Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap.  It's expensive, not lengthy and you can't comb the levels as much as in the typical Nintendo game, but in terms of how it looks, sounds and plays, the quality is right up there.

As much as I enjoyed the game, I have a hard time recommending it to people, especially to casual players. It can be brutal at times and very obscure. 

• Like 1

@Dcubed, some of his family and me have been playing JackBox Party Games, mostly Quiplash, which is an utter riot if you have at least 4 people around.

The basic premise is that you're given prompts which you have to think of witty quips for and you're given points on how many of the others (Or even people watching you live stream) vote for.

Naturally, hilarity ensues. Especially when great minds think alike...

DHi1o7VUQAAoXuz.jpg:large

My answer was the one on the right, and no-one voted for mine!

The game's great! I'm thinking it might be fun to live stream a few games in the future and have some N-Europers be part of the audience and vote, etc.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 4:51 PM, Pestneb said:

Snipperclips, great little game to play together!