NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I'm desperate to play Breath of the Wild but I don't have anybody I can borrow/rent a Switch from. What would be the cheapest way for me to play it? I'm happy to buy a Switch and a copy of Zelda and then sell them on as soon as I've completed the game, so would buying the system second hand and selling it on be the best approach?

Not intended as a troll because Mario also looks great, albeit not as important to me, and other than the prospect of The Last of Us 2 and hinted FromSoftware projects, I have no urge to buy another PS4 after selling my last one a year ago.

Edited by dwarf

I'm desperate to play Breath of the Wild but I don't have anybody I can borrow/rent a Switch from. What would be the cheapest way for me to play it? I'm happy to buy a Switch and a copy of Zelda and then sell them on as soon as I've completed the game, so would buying the system second hand and selling it on be the best approach?

Not intended as a troll because Mario also looks great, albeit not as important to me, and other than the prospect of The Last of Us 2 and hinted FromSoftware projects, I have urge to buy another PS4 after selling my last one a year ago.

If you aren't bothered about taking the game on the go then I think the cheapest option would be to pick up a second hand Wii U and play that version. I originally played it on the Wii U and it's absolutely fine, so need to worry about it being a lesser version.

Oh really? I thought there were draw distance and frame rate issues but maybe I've misremembered.

Had forgotten about that option so thanks for pointing it out.

Oh really? I thought there were draw distance and frame rate issues but maybe I've misremembered.

Had forgotten about that option so thanks for pointing it out.

There are also frame rate, draw distance and pop up/in issues present in the Switch version. The frame rate seem to be a little better after patching, though. Honestly, after playing through both versions there's not that much difference between them that would warrant buying a new console if a cheaper alternative is an option.

The update has made the Pokkén Controller act as a Pro Controller :D

I was thinking of picking one of those up to act as a Virtual Console controller (NES SNES GBA).. Definitely tempted to do so now if it's working with Shovel Knight, etc.

Just found out that since the last OS update you can also like newsposts. It's a bit annoying you can't immediately go to the last news post in those channels though. Followed them all except New frontiers because I don't give a shit, and Mario, because I don't want to see anything else until I put the cartridge in my Switch.

I ordered another piece of the Switch jigsaw this evening in the form of an additional Joy-Con Grip for my second pair of Joy-Con :smile:

I don't feel like the Charging Grip would really benefit me so I saved some money by just ordering the standard version on ebay, the one that comes with the console and isn't officially sold separately!

This gives me 2 'traditional' controllers, handy for when FIFA 18 releases, which can also be split into 4 mini controllers for multiplayer mayhem :grin:

Are they wired or Bluetooth?

The Pokken controller is wired. It's a pretty lengthy wire, mind.

Wonder how much those go for now... That D-Pad is miles better than the Pro controller, on account that it, you know, actually works.

The Pokken controller is wired. It's a pretty lengthy wire, mind.

Wonder how much those go for now... That D-Pad is miles better than the Pro controller, on account that it, you know, actually works.

They are selling for £21 over on Amazon at the moment.

• Like 1

They look to be the pretty much the same.

I never bought them so I can't comment on the quality. I think @S\.C\.G have used them, though.

I don't know if it's just me or what, but ever since the 3.0.0 update on the Switch I have noticed a considerable, but not exceptionally so, performance enhancement of the Wii Fi signal being picked up.  My WiFi router is in the bedroom, and covers the whole house for everything bar the Switch, post-3.0.0. update and I can now get a 2-bar signal in my living room where I was getting 1 at best.

Anyone else had an improvement?  Nothing else has changed to affect the signal in my apartment.  Anyway, it's a welcome development.

I don't think there has been any change, must be something different on your end. I just tried to watch an eShop trailer in my bedroom where Switch usually struggles and it was still the same as ever. Hopefully it is something they can address in future though, otherwise I'll have to invest in a signal repeater. 

• Like 1

I'm a bit late but I had my first go on a Switch today and I was impressed. It seems a lot more premium than I was expecting (the bezel looked horrible in promo shots but it seems fine IRL) and the Joy-Cons are cute. Played some Mario Kart with a Joycon each. I like the double items and rumble :o

Great interview with Reggie (don't say that very often)

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/43yzpm/nintendo-explains-why-they-didnt-focus-on-indie-games-at-e3

Key points:

- Mentions Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon in the same sentence as 2018.
- A big game every month this year on Switch, with "more to be announced", (suggests more in 2017)
- Still committed to selling (shipping?) 13 million Switches in the first year
- Working hard to catch up with huge demand
- Wii U ports can't just be straight ports, they need added value/content for Nintendo to do re-release
- Third party partnerships like Mario + Rabbids or Link costume in Skyrim will continue as long as there's trust and respect between both parties
- E3 isn't the place for mobile, so more news coming soon. Animal Crossing still releasing this year, and like with Mario, FE, Pokemon, will help drive interest to core AC.
- AM2R fan game deemed a conflict of interest with their own commercial product (which makes sense given the upcoming Samus Returns
- E3 needs to re-evaluate how the show is organised if they want to continue selling public tickets

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 2

@dazzybeeI mainly lurk now. I had a bunch of you all on my friends list from the Mario Kart Leagues. Thank god for the friend suggestion update, inputting all those friend codes again would have been painful!

• Like 1

I feel like I just need to reiterate this every few weeks..

I love the Nintendo Switch :love:

• Like 7

M mate says his switch won't connect to the internet at all, it can see the router, but just won't make the connect. Resetting switch router and such has been done. Anyone hear of this?

1 hour ago, dazzybee said:

M mate says his switch won't connect to the internet at all, it can see the router, but just won't make the connect. Resetting switch router and such has been done. Anyone hear of this?

Tried toggling aeroplane mode on and off?

On 2017-6-23 at 2:45 PM, killthenet said:

I don't think there has been any change, must be something different on your end. I just tried to watch an eShop trailer in my bedroom where Switch usually struggles and it was still the same as ever. Hopefully it is something they can address in future though, otherwise I'll have to invest in a signal repeater. 

What download speed are you getting on your Switch?