NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I really feel like the Switch is starting to ruin other consoles for me.. :red:

I love everything so far and will no doubt appreciate the console even more when more games are released and the Virtual Console finally makes an appearance :hehe: The versatility, which I'm sure will be even further highlighted by the release of ARMS next month, is helping to give me this strange feeling that the Nintendo Switch has the potential to be my favourite system of all time.. though it is very early days, at this point :heh:

Playing exclusively with Joy-Con and no intention of purchasing a Pro Controller is also having an effect on how controllers on other systems feel to me. While my very first thought in early March was of the analogue sticks on the Joy-Con controllers feeling highly compromised for portability, I'm genuinely in love with these little controllers now :love: Analogue sticks on other controllers now feel strangely huge, almost as if there's too much travel in them. It's a strange sensation after all these years of a more traditional input!

I know we are in similar situations, but I completely agree!

My Xbox One is now just the Netflix machine; the only game I was consistently playing on it was The Division, but now that I can't keep playing whenever and wherever I want, it's lost all appeal to me. I can safely say I won't be buying another home console in the traditional sense, only if it offers Switch like versatility :)

Saw a friend last night who bought BOTW on his Wii U; he says he's able to squeeze in a few 40 minute play sessions here and there when he can and has only done 2 divine beasts so far, whereas I've clocked up 120 hours on the thing, and I'd say at least 90 of those are in undocked mode!

I know we are in similar situations, but I completely agree!

My Xbox One is now just the Netflix machine; the only game I was consistently playing on it was The Division, but now that I can't keep playing whenever and wherever I want, it's lost all appeal to me. I can safely say I won't be buying another home console in the traditional sense, only if it offers Switch like versatility :)

Saw a friend last night who bought BOTW on his Wii U; he says he's able to squeeze in a few 40 minute play sessions here and there when he can and has only done 2 divine beasts so far, whereas I've clocked up 120 hours on the thing, and I'd say at least 90 of those are in undocked mode!

Haha.. yeh, for those of us with young children the Switch is a Godsend : peace:

I don't have an XBOX One (and have never had any interest in picking one up) but my PS4 is mainly used to watch YouTube, All 4 and BBC iPlayer.

I'm currently playing The Evil Within on PS4 but I'm not enjoying it very much :hmm: In fact, it further highlights my general lack of enthusiasm for a lot of third party software and gives me a feeling that this could end up being my final PlayStation :blank:

I no longer feel like I have time to spread myself across several platforms and be able to fully appreciate each game without that nagging feeling of needing to push onto something else to fight the backlog.

Nintendo Switch is now my main focus and I hope it will be able to satisfy my gaming tastes for the foreseeable future :smile:

Unfortunately since my main burst of enthusiasm for the Switch it has become relegated to the occasional quick play. I'm sure that will change again when more games start coming out for it but just going on my initial impressions I would never choose to buy a heavy story game or something graphically impressive on it over my PC or PS4.

The Switch concept is great, but the console itself is nothing special. Zelda is, but the Switch itself isn't. There's no chance it'll replace/spoil my PS4 as the main console, but it is great for my daily commute.

Edited by Kav

Once Fifa (with ultimate team) launches on Switch I won't play our PS4 anymore. I take the Switch to bed at night and have a quick blast on Tetris in the morning before I get up. I also play it a lot when I'm cooking and of course on the toilet.

I'm starting to really like the look of Arms. They seem to have taken Wii Boxing and made a fully fledged fighting game using the game dynamics. Hopefully this means they will do a proper golf game too.

Haha.. yeh, for those of us with young children the Switch is a Godsend : peace:

I don't have an XBOX One (and have never had any interest in picking one up) but my PS4 is mainly used to watch YouTube, All 4 and BBC iPlayer.

I'm currently playing The Evil Within on PS4 but I'm not enjoying it very much :hmm: In fact, it further highlights my general lack of enthusiasm for a lot of third party software and gives me a feeling that this could end up being my final PlayStation :blank:

I no longer feel like I have time to spread myself across several platforms and be able to fully appreciate each game without that nagging feeling of needing to push onto something else to fight the backlog.

Nintendo Switch is now my main focus and I hope it will be able to satisfy my gaming tastes for the foreseeable future :smile:

Yeah this is how I feel, I've sold my VITA, reset up my ps3 to play the last few games on that, sell it, if it wasn't for PSVR and Batt;efront 2 I'd probably sell the PS4 too. The way my life is now and where my gaming tastes lie, the Vita and PS4 have been pretty much a compete waste of money, VITA especially, PS4 less so. And I still find the VR exciting.

Hyrbid, Nintendo focussing on one console, my desire to play classics get me excited for Virtual Console on it. This is still probably too much for the time I actually have.

They sort the services out, the online out, and it'll be perfect for me!

I really feel like the Switch is starting to ruin other consoles for me.. :red:

I love everything so far and will no doubt appreciate the console even more when more games are released and the Virtual Console finally makes an appearance :hehe: The versatility, which I'm sure will be even further highlighted by the release of ARMS next month, is helping to give me this strange feeling that the Nintendo Switch has the potential to be my favourite system of all time.. though it is very early days, at this point :heh:

Playing exclusively with Joy-Con and no intention of purchasing a Pro Controller is also having an effect on how controllers on other systems feel to me. While my very first thought in early March was of the analogue sticks on the Joy-Con controllers feeling highly compromised for portability, I'm genuinely in love with these little controllers now :love: Analogue sticks on other controllers now feel strangely huge, almost as if there's too much travel in them. It's a strange sensation after all these years of a more traditional input!

I completely agree re. the controllers. Going back to my Xbox the controller feels huge.

I do find it quite frustrating that Nintendo managed to switch around the main input button A/X (Xbox/PS4) to the right hand spot though.

I do find it quite frustrating that Nintendo managed to switch around the main input button A/X (Xbox/PS4) to the right hand spot though.

Other way around mate. Nintendo's way is the original, Xbox/Western Playstation was the one that mucked it up ;)

My PS4's been gathering dust for months. Playing Paper Mario on Wii U, Zelda and now MK8D on Switch has made me remember how much more special Nintendo games are, at least IMO. If the indie scene keeps developing on Switch I can see myself barely playing PS4 apart from a few exclusives. Might give Horizon a go at some point and the Wipeout remaster. If Sony reveal a big number of big VR games at E3 I may be tempted to pick one up, but I can't see them doing that sadly.

Also the Pro controller is the most comfortable I've ever played.

Other way around mate. Nintendo's way is the original, Xbox/Western Playstation was the one that mucked it up ;)

Regardless, it's no longer the standard. :)

The Switch concept is great, but the console itself is nothing special. Zelda is, but the Switch itself isn't. There's no chance it'll replace/spoil my PS4 as the main console, but it is great for my daily commute.

I totally get that and expect the PS4 to remain the most important console of the generation to most people :smile:

For me, though, everything seems to be clicking so far with the Switch and it's wonderful :love: I only expect it to get better!

I saw that earlier, it's nice that 8bitdo pads are supported on the Switch as an alternative to the Pro Controller. :)

But it's still not that Joy-Con with a D-Pad which I'll continue to clamour for until it's eventually released. ;)

I even mentioned it in a Nintendo Switch survey which was sent to me as part of My Nintendo the other day, did anyone else get one out of interest?

It's a good chance to voice any concerns you might have in addition to heaping praise where it is due of course. : peace:

I saw that earlier, it's nice that 8bitdo pads are supported on the Switch as an alternative to the Pro Controller. :)

But it's still not that Joy-Con with a D-Pad which I'll continue to clamour for until it's eventually released. ;)

I even mentioned it in a Nintendo Switch survey which was sent to me as part of My Nintendo the other day, did anyone else get one out of interest?

It's a good chance to voice any concerns you might have in addition to heaping praise where it is due of course. : peace:

There seem to be various surveys. I got a general one right after the launch, and one for buying Mario Kart.

Yikes

Hirokazu Hamamura, the former editor-in-chief at Weekly Famitsu and now president of the parent company Enterbrain and director of the Kadokawa Group responded to a Forbes Japan article and tweeted “I think the product shortage [of Nintendo Switch] will continue until the end of this year”.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/160980297739

Yeah this is how I feel, I've sold my VITA, reset up my ps3 to play the last few games on that, sell it, if it wasn't for PSVR and Batt;efront 2 I'd probably sell the PS4 too. The way my life is now and where my gaming tastes lie, the Vita and PS4 have been pretty much a compete waste of money, VITA especially, PS4 less so. And I still find the VR exciting.

Hyrbid, Nintendo focussing on one console, my desire to play classics get me excited for Virtual Console on it. This is still probably too much for the time I actually have.

They sort the services out, the online out, and it'll be perfect for me!

I'm still seeing my Xbox One and later on, Scorpio, as the console I play most on just because of the sheer amount of games and people to play with.

I have to say though - it comes down to games and not systems for me. I've got Deus Ex Mankind Divided on the go on the X1 but it just feels boring compared to Zelda which pulls me back in.

I'm still a sucker for Overwatch though and I'm sure Morrowind will pull me back in to ESO.

The portable element isn't a big deal for me but Nintendo just seem on fire with their actual games and ARMS looks great too.

NCsoft CEO Kim Taek-Jin just announced to gift all its employees a Nintendo Switch console and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. When talked to Korean media Gamefocus about this unexpected decision, Kim said that he enjoyed Breath of the Wild and shared his experience inside the company with the employees.

No wonder there's still a shortage of Switch consoles. :laughing:

How many units are we talking about here? :o

Someone on Gaf said that there are over 3000 employees at that company.

EDIT: A quick check of Wikipedia and it says there are 3100. Crazy.

That's almost £1million!? What a nice dude.

Struggling to upgrade FW on the SNES pad. The update button just stays greyed out.

Make sure you press the button combo first then plug it into the USB. I just did it now and it didn't work the first time (same issue as you) but it worked the second time.

Played some Puyo Puyo with it and it works great.

Edited by Ike