NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

27 minutes ago, Ike said:

Yet still no Fire Emblem profile pictures. :cry:

I was definitely surprised when none were added when Three Hopes was released. Nintendo seemed to be dishing out new pictures for some of their big releases, with Kirby, Mario Kart and Xenoblade getting the treatment. Seems weird that they skipped over FE.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was definitely surprised when none were added when Three Hopes was released. Nintendo seemed to be dishing out new pictures for some of their big releases, with Kirby, Mario Kart and Xenoblade getting the treatment. Seems weird that they skipped over FE.

I'm gonna guess that it's because it's an Intelligent Systems IP?

Masahiro Sakurai has launched a YouTube Channel about creating games:

• Thanks 3

Wow! That's super cool! And he's doing it on his own dime as a non-profit venture too.  I love game dev channels like this! :D

Props to Nintendo for allowing him to use their assets and show internal development documentation too!

Mr Sakurai? You have earned yourself a sub :peace:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

"Make your own Smash Bros".

Bonus points if it's titled "How To: Smash Bros" :laughing:

• Haha 2

Nintendo has joined Microsoft in responding to this week's shock PlayStation 5 price hike, and said it had "no plans" to similarly bump up the Nintendo Switch's cost.

In a statement issued to Eurogamer this morning, Nintendo confirmed it had "no plans to increase the trade price of its hardware".

The response goes further than that of Microsoft's, which last night noted Sony's dramatic decision by simply stating it was keen to "offer our fans great gaming options", before reiterating the Xbox Series X and S's launch price point.

Here's that statement in full:

"As our president Mr Furukawa stated at the 82nd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in June:

"'While we cannot comment on pricing strategies, we currently do not have any plans to change the price of our hardware due to inflation or increased procurement costs in each country. We will determine our future pricing strategies through careful and continued deliberations.'

"While the final price to consumers is always determined by retailers, as Mr Furukawa stated, Nintendo has no plans to increase the trade price of its hardware."

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-responds-to-playstation-price-hike

I mean, of course not. It hasn't had a price drop in yonks! Raising it now would be beyond dumb, especially with it still churning out healthy profits.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Regardless, they made a statement so I thought I'd post it.

Don't mistake me, I'm not whining about you posting news. That's fine. Just stating what I think of it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, of course not. It hasn't had a price drop in yonks! Raising it now would be beyond dumb, especially with it still churning out healthy profits.

I initially thought the same as you but I guess it is worth them reiterating. I heard this statement before the PS5 price increase, and even then a lot of people were citing the VR Facebook thing (Oculus?) which had just gone up in price. With that and now the PS5 I guess it is worth stating for the general public that Switch isn't increasing in price when a lot of popular tech seems to be. 

We got a newly updated WW sales list for all 1st party Switch titles that have sold more than 1 million…

Nintendo-Million-Sellers-as-of-June-30-2

Notable highlights include Bayonetta 2 (which has now hit the 1 million mark!) and Link’s Awakening, which is now the 2nd best selling 2D Zelda title of all time (behind only the original NES LOZ).

• Thanks 2

So, it's that time again.

We didn't get a traditional Direct in June, instead we've seen Nintendo's plans split across multiple Directs throughout the summer to success, but now we're one day away from September kicking off - a month I think most are half expecting a Direct to show up in - the "leakers" are here to "leak" without skipping a beat. 

stitch-lilo-and-stitch.gif

From VGC:

A Nintendo Direct presentation focused on Zelda announcements will reportedly be held in September.

That’s according to GamesBeat managing editor Mike Minotti and Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb, who were speaking on a podcast this week.

“To be clear guys, the one thing we are very, very sure is being announced at this Direct are the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess ports for Switch,” Minotti said.

“Yeah, I think there’s going to be a lot of Zelda stuff at this thing,” Grubb said. “I think this is like a Zelda blowout for Nintendo.

“100% there’s a Nintendo Direct in September, it’s that simple. There is still some uncertainty about whether this will be a general [Direct], maybe a Mini, there was some talk of it being a Partner Direct”.

Grubb added: “If they’re going to have Zelda stuff there, this is not a Partner Direct, and those are the things that we’ve been hearing. The specifics that were name-dropped were Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD ports to the Switch.

“Which, again, even had we not heard that, I would be speculating that that would be happening right now while we wait for the run-up to Breath of the Wild 2. And yet we have heard that, and we’ve heard other things, again Metroid Prime remaster, that sounds like it’s got to be announced at something like this.

“And then third parties will be showing up,” he continued. “I’ve heard some of that as well, it’s not super exciting the things I’ve heard. To me it sounds like at least a Mini Direct, but if it’s going to have the name of the next Zelda, which seems like a distinct possibility, that sounds like a big general Direct.”

Grubb said he’d heard from “a pretty good source” that the event will take place during the week beginning September 12.

Twilight Princess and Wind Waker were already given the HD treatment on Wii U and are now among just a handful of Nintendo’s last-gen games that haven’t been ported to Switch.

Based on what he’s heard about the Direct, Minotti said everything outside of the Twilight Princess and Wind Waker announcements is speculation.

“The Metroid Prime things seems like it should be happening. It’s a lot of remasters to announce in one thing, but maybe that will be a little bit of a theme here.”

Metroid Prime’s long-expected Nintendo Switch remaster will finally release at the end of this year, Grubb recently claimed.

He stated on a Giant Bomb show in June that he’d been told “pretty definitively” that the title would arrive in time for Prime’s 20th anniversary this November.

I feel like September's going to be a looooooong month. 

• Like 1

Yadda yadda yadda, broken clock, yadda yadda.

Sooner or later Metroid Prime HD will happen. I can guarantee that it'll inevitably happen... In the next 10 years.

I know the Zelda stuff is rumoured but is a Prime remake a rumour or something that's been confirmed but no details? I can't recall. 

Just now, Julius said:

“100% there’s a Nintendo Direct in September, it’s that simple. There is still some uncertainty about whether this will be a general [Direct], maybe a Mini, there was some talk of it being a Partner Direct”.

"100% there's a coin flip in September, it's that simple. There is still some uncertainty about whether this will be Heads, maybe Tails, there was some talk of it landing on its edges"

Just now, Ashley said:

is a Prime remake a rumour or something that's been confirmed but no details? I can't recall. 

It's been rumoured for a long time, plenty of leakers are certain it exists. Allegedly.

For me, it sounds as real as Starfox Grand Prix. The more they talk about it coming out on the Prime anniversary, the more I disbelieve its whole existence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I know the Zelda stuff is rumoured but is a Prime remake a rumour or something that's been confirmed but no details? I can't recall. 

Still a rumour that went from Nintendo is sitting on a completed port of the Trilogy to Metroid Prime getting a HD remaster as an individual release.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

It's a rumour that's been around for years, nothing concrete or official from Nintendo. I think it's been around since the first year of the Switch as a remake rumour because of Prime 4 being announced at the Switch's first E3 in 2017, and it's never gone away. Heck, I'm sure just a straight port was being talked about back when Eurogamer were reporting GameCube Virtual Console before the Switch was revealed back in 2016! 

When Prime 4 moved over to Retro I seem to remember there was a lot of talk about Retro making a port of Prime for Switch as their kind of audition to get Prime 4? But yeah, just rumours, turned back up in June this year from Grubb again. 

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The more they talk about it coming out on the Prime anniversary, the more I disbelieve its whole existence.

For me, even with COVID being a factor, considering that Nintendo did essentially nothing for Zelda last year (and most of their other IP for that matter), if anything happens with Metroid I think it's less a case of it being for an anniversary and more just, hey, empty slot, what have we got that's been in the slow cooker. 

It's frustrating to say the least. I have genuine issues with leakers who ruin announcements for devs (like Schreier), but in the same vein, I'm tired of the nonstop "leak" culture which means we're in a permanent state of ultra-awareness for announcements and such. It just creates more tension with devs - which is so stupidly backwards, if you think about it they never really got the benefit of social media because rumour and leak culture has been a constant - and, well, as if the human race's collective attention span wasn't shot already :nono: 

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

"100% there's a coin flip in September, it's that simple. There is still some uncertainty about whether this will be Heads, maybe Tails, there was some talk of it landing on its edges"

amen-gif.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

On 31/08/2022 at 10:28 PM, Julius said:

It's frustrating to say the least. I have genuine issues with leakers who ruin announcements for devs (like Schreier), but in the same vein, I'm tired of the nonstop "leak" culture which means we're in a permanent state of ultra-awareness for announcements and such. It just creates more tension with devs - which is so stupidly backwards, if you think about it they never really got the benefit of social media because rumour and leak culture has been a constant - and, well, as if the human race's collective attention span wasn't shot already

I agree.  I enjoy speculation and discussion about what could be released.  It’s the “leaks” for the big surprises that frustrate me.  What does it gain the leakers?  Just attention really.  It spoils things for developers, who are already under enough pressure it seems.

My girlfriend moved in at the start of July. Since then, I've finally started playing the Switch in handheld mode. But the joycon grips are murdering my hands. Any suggestions on grips or larger sized joycons?

I'm thinking about buying the Hori Split Pad Pros.

1 hour ago, FalcoLombardi said:

I'm thinking about buying the Hori Split Pad Pros.

I have these and they're pretty comfortable. Definitely a lot more ergonomic. The only thing to consider is they don't have rumble, batteries and NFC. So your Switch depletes faster. Also you can't scan amiibo.  They don't look that great either although the new ones are prettier than the Daemon X Machina version I have. There is a new set out that also comes with a wired inbetween bit so you can use them as a wired controller as well:

550x442.jpg

They also announced a Split Pad Fit, but that looks smaller so I think the Pro is better if you're looking for something bigger.

Edited by Dufniall
  • Like 1