Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Despite saying I wouldn’t buy the game again after these years, as already own it on Wii U, I picked it up on the recent eshop sale a few weeks back and I’m glad I did, I’m playing it pretty much every day since. It holds up so well it’s probably the best Mario Kart

It's also absolutely stunning, I remember being blown away by the visuals on Wii U, they looked like a step above everything else at the time and it's still gorgeous these days. Better in fact with the resolution bump to 1080p.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What else is there to say really? It’s absolutely bananas!

Stupidly insane sales!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still amazed by the sales of Animal Crossing. I’m sure it’s down to the pandemic and everyone being stuck inside but it’s still amazing numbers. 
Glad there’s some interest in more people getting MK too. Hope you guys will join in the league when @Glen-i gets it up and running again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's entirely down to the pandemic, Animal Crossing has been steadily picking up pace as a franchise so I fully expected this one to be the best selling entry but to sell 30 million in less than a year is absolutely outrageous - the kinds of figures that only GTA and CoD can manage - to do it when it's exclusive to one platform is practically unheard of.

If it is ever going to surpass MK8 Deluxe though I think it would have overtaken it in that last quarter, it's too consistent a seller to expect AC to have the legs to out do it but the fact it's even a possibility is insane. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just noticed that switch can do VR. ( i probly did'nt really like labo ) anyone got VR  games. There's no VR selection on switch eshop for them. So i am just wondering what are the VR games like or if anyone plays them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

i just noticed that switch can do VR. ( i probly did'nt really like labo ) anyone got VR  games. There's no VR selection on switch eshop for them. So i am just wondering what are the VR games like or if anyone plays them ?

Pretty much all "VR games" are the ones that come with the labo kit. There are a handful of games outside of that that can use the kit, but you can't play the full game that way (nor would you want to). From the top of my head I think that's Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, and Zelda Breath of the Wild. Perhaps a few others.

If you want VR you'd better look elsewhere.

Edited by Sméagol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the best way to experience Nintendo in VR is through VRchat or Pavlov on the PC :p Kinda silly, but I've (kind of) played through the entire beginning of Breath of the Wild in VRchat, and it worked really well. Guardians in VR are terrifying, even if they're just the destroyed ones without legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/02/pokemon_rumble_developer_ambrella_has_been_acquired_and_dissolved_by_creatures_inc
 

Nintendo’s consolidation efforts continue!

Who’s next? (My money is on HAL)

Yeah, I think HAL is a great shout.

I'm all for companies locking down and acquiring studios they already have strong partnerships with. I think it makes much more sense that way, seeing as they will have the benefit of knowing the value and expectations of their relationship beforehand. 

That's the underlying reason that I'm still a little hesitant when it comes to some of Xbox's acquisitions. What have we seen from how their first parties are handled to suggest that these other studios will actually run well under them? 

Whereas obviously here and with many of Nintendo's other acquisitions, they have that working relationship already, and it just provides them both with a bit more security. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah, I think HAL is a great shout.

I'm all for companies locking down and acquiring studios they already have strong partnerships with. I think it makes much more sense that way, seeing as they will have the benefit of knowing the value and expectations of their relationship beforehand. 

That's the underlying reason that I'm still a little hesitant when it comes to some of Xbox's acquisitions. What have we seen from how their first parties are handled to suggest that these other studios will actually run well under them? 

Whereas obviously here and with many of Nintendo's other acquisitions, they have that working relationship already, and it just provides them both with a bit more security. 

The market is funny now. Small studios are getting eaten up all over the place. It's a worrying trend, but a necessary one if Nintendo, Sony and MS want to shield themselves from other players like Google, (oops) Amazon and Tencent trying to get some of their pie. 

Nintendo would do right to fully acquire or take majority stakes in trusted second and third party developers. Hopefully they'll retain a good degree of independence, while getting more support and bigger projects in return. Sharing the load around a little might actually be in (what seems to be a slightly struggling) NPD's favour. 

The industry is definitely changing though. After the indie revolution of the previous gen, I'm interested to see where we'll be in 5 years time, though I do think it's absolutely vital for the long-term sustainability of the entire industry that there are a wide-range of small and medium sized developers for the indie and ever-decreasing AA market. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ike said:

Creatures Inc aren't Nintendo.

99% of Ambrella's output has been Pokemon spin-offs. I think it makes sense.

99% of Ambrella's output have also been total rubbish.

Anyone who read my Pokémon Spin-off thread will already know my feelings about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

99% of Ambrella's output have also been total rubbish.

Anyone who read my Pokémon Spin-off thread will already know my feelings about them.

I mean, yeah. Hey You, Pikachu! was pretty ahead of it's time though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ike said:

Creatures Inc aren't Nintendo.

99% of Ambrella's output has been Pokemon spin-offs. I think it makes sense.

Yeah, I know that they technically aren’t; but they might as well be.

It’s one Nintendo 2nd party satellite absorbing another 2nd party satellite.  It counts :p 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ike said:

I mean, yeah. Hey You, Pikachu! was pretty ahead of it's time though.

In avoiding the UK? Yes, absolutely. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yeah, I know that they technically aren’t; but they might as well be.

It’s one Nintendo 2nd party satellite absorbing another 2nd party satellite.  It counts :p 

There's no technically about it, they aren't. Don't twist it to suit. :heh:

It would also mean Nintendo owns the majority of The Pokemon Company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Glen-i said:

99% of Ambrella's output have also been total rubbish.

Anyone who read my Pokémon Spin-off thread will already know my feelings about them.

I agree, the rumble games are SO simple that about the only thing I like about them is the low poly character designs (for the most part)

If they didn't have the Pokémon name, no-one would remember these games.

 

And after all these years I still don't know how The Pokémon Company/Nintendo/Creatures/GameFreak works, sounds like a right mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I agree, the rumble games are SO simple that about the only thing I like about them is the low poly character designs (for the most part)

If they didn't have the Pokémon name, no-one would remember these games.

 

And after all these years I still don't know how The Pokémon Company/Nintendo/Creatures/GameFreak works, sounds like a right mess. 

It's ok, you can just assume everything is made by Nintendo. @Glen-i will arrive shortly after to correct you, so you never have to worry about which is correct.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crash bandicoot 4 is coming to the switch (and PS5 and XSX/S) March 21st March 12th. Just announced

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

Crash bandicoot 4 is coming to the switch (and PS5 and XSX/S) March 21st, just announced

March 12th.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To everyone who hasn't played Crash 4 yet because they've been waiting for it to come to Switch... get ready for the TRUE Dark Souls of platformers!

 

Still a really great game though, but the box gems are rather evil!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crash in Smash seems a lot more likely now.

I've thought for quite a while that that would hinge on whether Crash 4 gets ported to Switch or not.

Now I'm at the point where I'd be more surprised if it didn't happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites