NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I can't really think of much from a hardware point of view I'd like improved. Maybe smaller bezels I guess, obviously better joy-con quality. The battery (on the newer models at last) is very impressive and I can't see them altering the physical size of the thing. Maybe a front facing camera is likely with the whole increased interactivity part.

I would happily pay several hundred pounds for a Switch with hard wired joy con that don't drift, the internals could otherwise be the same as the base model and I would probably still buy it.
Ideally if they are releasing a new model though I would like it to utilise a more powerful SOC and have less of a bezel on the display - the size and resolution at the moment are absolutely fine, the design of the system could just do with slimming down a bit. 
But yeah, improved build quality is my main hope.
Just pay £50 for a far better controller than the shitty joycons, i.e. the Pro controller.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, killthenet said:
I would happily pay several hundred pounds for a Switch with hard wired joy con that don't drift, the internals could otherwise be the same as the base model and I would probably still buy it.
Ideally if they are releasing a new model though I would like it to utilise a more powerful SOC and have less of a bezel on the display - the size and resolution at the moment are absolutely fine, the design of the system could just do with slimming down a bit. 
But yeah, improved build quality is my main hope.

Just pay £50 for a far better controller than the shitty joycons, i.e. the Pro controller.

Apart from ergonomics, just as shitty.

Always feels shitty rewarding these companies by buying an upgraded console because they original one they released was defective. Same kind of thing with the 360 and red ring.

Always feels shitty rewarding these companies by buying an upgraded console because they original one they released was defective. Same kind of thing with the 360 and red ring.
The thing with the joycons though is you can send the controllers in for free and they send them back fixed. It's not great but there's literally no reason for anyone to put up with them being defective. And the rest of the Switch is a very nice console, one that I was happy to get at launch.

If your Switch is defective you can make it un-defective by getting them to fix your joy con for free. 

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
9 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The thing with the joycons though is you can send the controllers in for free and they send them back fixed. It's not great but there's literally no reason for anyone to put up with them being defective. And the rest of the Switch is a very nice console, one that I was happy to get at launch.

Luckily mine seems to have been fine since launch so I e never really had to look into it so it’s good that they do it for free.

12 hours ago, ArtMediocre said:

To be honest, I just think people do this just to watch ResetEra have a meltdown :p 

If I was some well-known insider, that's exactly why I would do it.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Gotta agree with @Sheikah there. Wish I got one earlier. Now I can actually play Smash without a GameCube controller.

• Like 1

I have a pro controller, never play docked without it, but I play handheld quite a lot too and the joy cons are a constant pain. It isn't just the drifting issues, they often disconnect from the console and need to be unclicked and clicked back in - this has happened with every pair I've ever had, even after repairs.

And yeah, you can get send them off for repair but it's inconvenient to be without the option to play in handheld mode for a couple of weeks and when they come back they're still quite a flimsy product - in all my years as a Nintendo gamer I've never had to send anything else in for repair, all their other systems lasted years before anything minor went wrong with them 

One of my Pro Controllers suffers from stick drift. Granted it's not as bad as the Joy-Cons and is temporarily fixable, it's still annoying. The issue is that it's really easy for dust to get into and underneath the sticks. Probably not an issue for people who clean a lot :D But yeah... not an issue on past hardware, is an issue with the Switch to compound the Joy-Con issues. 
Great pad, good weight, good rumble, good build quality (for the most part) but the drifting and the shitty D-Pad kind of kill it for me. Infinitely better than the Joy-Cons, but I'd be up for a revision with a new console launching.

Hope it's true to be honest, and glad that I held off on a Lite or better battery model. 

Wishlist would definitely be a better screen (doesn't have to be 1080p, happy with 720), smaller bezels, better Joy-Con and a slightly improved CPU/GPU. Not expecting close to PS4, but ironing out some frame dips and making more consistent 1080p docked and / or 60 FPS more common across different games would be nice. 

I love the Joy-con design... on paper.  But sadly, it just doesn't work in the real world.

If it actually functioned as advertised, it would be an amazing controller.  Unfortuntely that's just not the case in reality.

The Bluetooth chip inside it is so hilariously weak that it loses signal from just your own bloody hands covering it up! And let's not even get into the drifting control sticks issue that literally makes games unplayable.

It's the worst built controller that Nintendo has ever made; and when that includes the N64 controller and its broken analog stick design? Yeah, that's saying something! The concept is amazing, but sadly the build quality is so unbelievably shoddy that it literally all falls apart at the seams.

Fixing the Joy-cons absolutely NEEDS to be Nintendo's top priority with any Switch redesign or successor.

Second priority is packing in an Active Stylus in the box.  Gimme that proper DS/Wii U style Touchscreen gameplay back again!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

“Improved Interactivity” sounds like it comes with an Active Stylus!

That didn’t dawn on me but you’re most probably right!

I’ve been thinking about what I’d want from a new switch, but outside of an improved battery life (which the newer models have anyway) I can’t think of much. I’m assuming Nintendo are working on better joycons regardless of a new switch model because that’s a pretty big issue the switch has.

A minor thing is that the little stand in the back of the switch could be better :confused:

3 hours ago, Sheikah said:
3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Nope.

Yup.

Same drift, plus you got a useless d-pad.

4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I can't really think of much from a hardware point of view I'd like improved. Maybe smaller bezels I guess, obviously better joy-con quality. The battery (on the newer models at last) is very impressive and I can't see them altering the physical size of the thing. Maybe a front facing camera is likely with the whole increased interactivity part.

Bluetooth. 

Yup.
Same drift, plus you got a useless d-pad.
But a better battery, proper control layout, and decent build quality. Not arsed about the D pad personally. At least you do have a D pad though and not 4 distinct buttons.

And the drift rate must be lower on them, you don't hear about issues anywhere near as much as the joycons.

10 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

But a better battery, proper control layout, and decent build quality. Not arsed about the D pad personally. At least you do have a D pad though and not 4 distinct buttons.

And the drift rate must be lower on them, you don't hear about issues anywhere near as much as the joycons.

I dunno about battery, but that's not a concern of mine. The layout falls under ergonomics to me, which I already mentioned. No. The build quality is shit. The shittest in Nintendo history. It's not quite as bad as the XBox elite controller which litterally falls apart after not that much use.. But the drift is bad. Really bad. This is on top of the shitty d-pad which was shit right from the start, at least I got some mileage out of the stick. It's better than 4 separate buttons? Yeah, in theory.

I should have returned it a long time ago, but I'm lazy, and it would leave me without a controller. Because even in this state, I still prefer it over the joy-cons. Drift occasionally decreases, and it depends on the game and context if the d-pad is going to be an issue. But make no mistake, the controller is objectively shit. I'm avoiding playing certain games because of it.

Edited by Sméagol

I dunno about battery, but that's not a concern of mine. The layout falls under ergonomics to me, which I already mentioned. No. The build quality is shit. The shittest in Nintendo history. It's not quite as bad as the XBox elite controller which litterally falls apart after not that much use.. But the drift is bad. Really bad. This is on top of the shitty d-pad which was shit right from the start, at least I got some mileage out of the stick. It's better than 4 separate buttons? Yeah, in theory. I should have returned it a long time ago, but I'm lazy, and it would leave me without a controller. Because even in this state, I still prefer it over the joy-cons. Drift occasionally decreases, and it depends on the game and context if the d-pad is going to be an issue. But make no mistake, the controller is objectively shit. I'm avoiding playing certain games because of it.

Well the battery comment was more to disprove your point that it's only better ergonomically, because battery life doesn't fall under ergonomics.

As said though there's literally no reason to suffer drift. Send to Nintendo and they repair drift on their controllers for free.

A lot of people seem to suffer from it and never actually try address it. It's somewhat frustrating because you see people complain about it, then maybe a year later they'll make the same complaint.

Obviously it's Nintendo's fault but their customer service is pretty good.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Well the battery comment was more to disprove your point that it's only better ergonomically, because battery life doesn't fall under ergonomics.

As said though there's literally no reason to suffer drift. Send to Nintendo and they repair drift on their controllers for free.

A lot of people seem to suffer from it and never actually try address it. It's somewhat frustrating because you see people complain about it, then maybe a year later they'll make the same complaint.

Obviously it's Nintendo's fault but their customer service is pretty good.

Fine. Battery is better (I'll take your word for it). Build quality is still shit though.

6 hours ago, Sheikah said:

I thought this only applied to Europe and not the UK?

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I thought this only applied to Europe and not the UK?

Yeah.  AFAIK, Nintendo UK are not repairing drifting Joy-Cons for free outside of their warrenty period (unlike NOA)

Yeah.  AFAIK, Nintendo UK are not repairing drifting Joy-Cons for free outside of their warrenty period (unlike NOA)
Well they repaired mine for free. It's worth ringing up to see if they will.

Make it bigger! Can't play in handheld for more than an hour without getting hand cramp.

Just now, LazyBoy said:

Make it bigger!

tenor.gif

Anyways, buy the Skull & Co Grip and you'll never get cramps again.