NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

The next system update has leaked and people are testing it now to see what it does.

• OS has been re-encrypted with new keys as per usual
  • Significant rework of the OS to support NSO and also Behind the scenes support for Online Save Data Backup
  • Significantly more telemetry behind the scenes
  • eShop overhaul to support subscription services
  • New profile icons (including Toad)

FJIMG_20180831_084514.jpg?width=716&heig

Save backups will be done in the + menu (where you can manually update games), which I like. Don't need to go digging into data management.

From the looks of it there still isn't things like folders or messaging being added to the system. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/08/2018 at 9:45 AM, Sheikah said:

But porting is clearly costing them just a fraction of the original cost of developing a game from scratch. This is basically why ports and remasters are usually always cheaper, while still making the developer a profit.

I think the difference May be that these games on PlayStation already sold big numbers first time around so we're already in profit. Because the Wii U failed so badly, these games were probably loss makers, so Nintendo has to charge full price just to get to a breakeven point. Hasn't MK on Switch sold more copies than actual Wii U's or something crazy like that?

No folders, no messaging, no new features, just Toad icons.

I has a sad :(

Edited by Dcubed

Is that a SNES controller? Doesn't really look like it but can't think what else it could be

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:
  • New profile icons (including Toad)

FJIMG_20180831_084514.jpg?width=716&heig

Bet you're happy about those at least. ;)

The profile icons are nice, but it would be way cooler if we could create custom ones via screenshots in the album. I'm sure they could somehow limit it to PEGI 12 games in order to avoid anything unsuitable being used, and it would allow for more personalised and unique icons.

j418IvU.jpg

:laughing:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Bet you're happy about those at least. ;)

The profile icons are nice, but it would be way cooler if we could create custom ones via screenshots in the album. I'm sure they could somehow limit it to PEGI 12 games in order to avoid anything unsuitable being used, and it would allow for more personalised and unique icons.

j418IvU.jpg

:laughing:

As much as I love Toad, i'd much rather have folders and a messaging system. :p 

Yeah, custom pics would be great. The PS4 has these and they only show up for those who you let see your real name. You can even use pics you find on the internet or have on your phone. It's great.

38 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As much as I love Toad, i'd much rather have folders and a messaging system. :p 

Hehehe. :hehe:

I'm not too fussed about folders, but definitely agree that some kind of messaging system is long overdue now. If it's not part of the next system update (which is looking to be the case) then I'm guessing it will be a feature of the updated online app once the paid service goes live next month. That, or it's something they can add to the Switch later on without the need for a firmware update. ::shrug:

I just cannot believe that Nintendo will start charging for online play but not provide some type of rudimentary communication feature, especially when it's something that existed on 3DS, Wii U and even Wii!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Hehehe. :hehe:

I'm not too fussed about folders, but definitely agree that some kind of messaging system is long overdue now. If it's not part of the next system update (which is looking to be the case) then I'm guessing it will be a feature of the updated online app once the paid service goes live next month. That, or it's something they can add to the Switch later on without the need for a firmware update. ::shrug:

I just cannot believe that Nintendo will start charging for online play but not provide some type of rudimentary communication feature, especially when it's something that existed on 3DS, Wii U and even Wii!

Oh they will have communication features...

... via the app :heh:

Edited by Dcubed

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They will have communication features...

Then they really need to get that app on the eShop, so people can also use it on their Switch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They will have communication features...

tenor.gif?itemid=9777832

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Weird 1

I think the difference May be that these games on PlayStation already sold big numbers first time around so we're already in profit. Because the Wii U failed so badly, these games were probably loss makers, so Nintendo has to charge full price just to get to a breakeven point. Hasn't MK on Switch sold more copies than actual Wii U's or something crazy like that?
Mario Kart 8 sold 8 million on Wii U, far more copies than your average game (even those that get remastered).

I am very interested in those retro controllers.

Yeah, no messaging is a big disappointment, but I'm not expecting it soon anyway at this point, so no surprise.

Alsy, why keep people saying they want folders? You can't use external files on your Switch anyway.. What you want is (customisable) catagories.

You don't want or need this:

Win+3.1+Windows+3.1+File+Manager.JPG

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

Alsy, why keep people saying they want folders? You can't use external files on your Switch anyway.. What you want is (customisable) catagories.

You don't want or need this:

Win+3.1+Windows+3.1+File+Manager.JPG

I don’t quite understand why you need to ask why people are asking for folders? They were available on both the 3DS and Wii U, and I think that they are also available elsewhere, so I would assume that that is why. 

I don’t see why you feel the need to tell people that what they want is technically not a folder, especially seeing as what you’re suggesting is not a folder in fact is. A folder, in the way that we’re referring to it here with regards to computers, is just a virtual location for documents, apps, data, et al, and they help with storing and organising these items. In actuality, the fundamental difference between the image of the folder that you posted and the image below — a video game folder — is that it has a (more complex) graphical user interface layered over it. 

maxresdefault.jpg

On a side note...isn’t the statement “(customisable) category” somewhat contradictory with regards to what a category is defined as being? Because if a category is defined as a class of items with similar characteristics, besides the fact that the items in question are games and are virtual, then surely customising how they are organised would logically contradict the definition of the word? You’d then just be organising them manually, with no particular regard for their characteristics besides your own preference...kind of like you do with a folder. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

I don’t quite understand why you need to ask why people are asking for folders?

I don't see why you feel the need to ask why he needs to ask why people are asking for folders?

Maybe he just wants another 10 page discussion on folders?! Gather[mention=448]Dazzybee[/mention],@Ronnie, etc, let's go. We're doing this.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The next system update has leaked and people are testing it now to see what it does.

From the looks of it there still isn't things like folders or messaging being added to the system. 

It's missing an important profile image:

RickTheHamster-Kirby.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

I don’t quite understand why you need to ask why people are asking for folders? They were available on both the 3DS and Wii U, and I think that they are also available elsewhere, so I would assume that that is why. 

First of all a disclaimer, I don't know the situation on the wiiu and 3ds. That said, we're talking a hypothetical feature on the Switch here. I've had a quick look at the Wiiu folders feature, and I'll get back to that.

I don’t see why you feel the need to tell people that what they want is technically not a folder, 

Yup that's funny, because after you make an in incorrect statement:

especially seeing as what you’re suggesting is not a folder in fact is. 

(No it's not)

A folder, in the way that we’re referring to it here with regards to computers, is just a virtual location for documents, apps, data, et al, and they help with storing and organising these items.

You give the actual explanation yourself.

A folder, is just a list of data locations. So is a catagory. The actual folders, are just a visual representation of this, complete with its own limiations and peculiarities, and I argue you don't need this visualisation in the form of folders at all. You may want this when they introduce media playback capabilities as a new feature (not going to happen), in order to better visualise catagories and all the associated files, but the situation on Switch currently is very simple. There are 3 things to worry about: games (original data + any updates), savefiles, and your screenshots and videos. All are accesible in the menu options. Without any folder visualisation. Now it would be incredibly handy to be able to sort and filter these games and media, we all agree. Do you need visual folders for that? No. Just name a catagory, and for each game you can assign one or multiple catagories.

To give you an idea of what I mean, look at the Netflix homepage. Organized like that, but in the Switch menu style.

To get back to the Wiiu style, I may be wrong, but it seems limited as you can only put a game in one folder at a time (again, correct me if I'm wrong). That's not what I want, and it's frankly a stupid limitation of a simplified folder system. Which again, is just simply the visual represenation. Because the WiiU is a console, so it's hard to offer the same features as the ultimate folder systems, the operating systems like Windows like in the picture. Would you actually want that? Or need that? Putting folders into folders, copying files into other folders because they may belong to different catagories. Different lists, same data locations. Maybe the Playstation is better in this regard, I don't know, but the Playstation also has media playback, so actually has more use for it.

So if I have two catagories, named "online multiplayer", and "party games", amongst others, then when Smash Brothers comes out, I don't want to faff around with the analogue stick and physically move the icon towards a folder twice, I just want to click the icon, say "hey, you belong to this catagory and also this one", using a dropdown box or something. The catagories acting more like attributes of the game.

TLDR

What people mean by folders and what I mean by catagories, are technically the same: a list of datalocations. It's just the visual representation in the form of a folder system is unnecessary and cumbersome for a simple system like the Switch.

On a side note...isn’t the statement “(customisable) category” somewhat contradictory with regards to what a category is defined as being? Because if a category is defined as a class of items with similar characteristics, besides the fact that the items in question are games and are virtual, then surely customising how they are organised would logically contradict the definition of the word? You’d then just be organising them manually, with no particular regard for their characteristics besides your own preference...kind of like you do with a folder. 

It's not, since it's not unthinkable that if they ever decide to introduce catagories, they'll just give you some default ones without the option to create your own.

2 hours ago, bob said:

I don't see why you feel the need to ask why he needs to ask why people are asking for folders?

Maybe he just wants another 10 page discussion on folders?! Gather[mention=448]Dazzybee[/mention],@Ronnie, etc, let's go. We're doing this.

@Julius Caesar, see what you have done.

Edited by Sméagol

Folders are a basic feature of any OS.

Or something like that. I recall a certain poster getting very angry about this a few years ago on the PS4 thread :D

• Haha 1

In my defence it took Playstation three years to add folders on PS4 :heh: and that home screen really needed them with all the apps and bloatware

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took the Wii U nearly the same as well if I recall correctly. Guess it's not seen as a priority but I'm sure it'll come. 

Rick first though please. 

• Haha 2

Took the Wii U one year 10 months to add them, but you could customise your home screen and move stuff around at will there so not quite as needed as PS4/Switch.

So going by the Wii U, we have four months to wait, going by PS4, a year and a half. Hopefully closer to the former, but I can't say I'm that desperate for them.

Edited by Ronnie

So one years difference in essence. 

But yeah, they're pretty much at the bottom of my list. I've never actually used folders on any console. 

I used it on PS4 for PS+ games (that I ended up never playing) and Wii U and 3DS for Virtual Console, but yeah otherwise I'm not too fussed on Switch, the OS is so clean I don't think it's massively needed.

I see there's a few people mentioning a Direct that could be hitting this week. I hope so. As much as I enjoy indie games I could do with a Direct that shows off a few big titles. Maybe it's  time to finally reveal the NSMB and Metroid Prime Trilogy ports?

Also, I see that Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was put up on the PSN page. When that got announced for mobile phones I suspected a Switch version would hit eventually. With it being teased for a PS4 release I would be very surprised if it did also make over to the Switch. Given the numbers that Octopath has done, S-E would be foolish not to bring it over as there is clearly a market for JRPGs on Nintendo's hybrid.

• Thanks 1

There's usually a Direct in September I think so I certainly wouldn't be surprised. NSMBU Deluxe seems a good bet, I'll double dip if they included some decent extra content. I remember Kimishima saying that these Wii U ports need to offer something new and not just be a carbon copy of the original so hopefully it's something good.