NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I'd rather have NSMBWii over NSMBU.  Wii is easily the best 2D Mario ever made, no contest.  The levels were personally designed by both Miyamoto and Tezuka and it really really shows!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I'd rather NSMBU+Luigi U, give me Nintendo-made Mario levels any day over the, let's face it, terrible 99% of Mario Maker.

At least half the appeal (and for a lot of people a lot more than that) is making those terrible levels. That's why I also want Mario Maker.

My interest in NSMBu is around.. 2%. Don't mind that one staying a Wiiu exclusive.

I mean there's a small chance I'd stil get it, it's a Mario Platformer after all, but that would depend on other releases around the time of its release.

I'll 100% get it and the more reason I dont have to ever switch on the Wii U again.

I want the HD Zeldas ported now.

I would most likely play it again if it did get ported (never got round to buying the Luigi DLC) but surely it would make more sense just to make a brand new one for Switch? I know it would cost a bit more but NSMBU seems to be universally seen as underwhelming as far as 2D Mario games go so I'd much rather have a new one.

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

I would most likely play it again if it did get ported (never got round to buying the Luigi DLC) but surely it would make more sense just to make a brand new one for Switch? I know it would cost a bit more but NSMBU seems to be universally seen as underwhelming as far as 2D Mario games go so I'd much rather have a new one.

I'm sure they're making a new one as well, it's just that porting games over requires a comparatively tiny fraction of the time/cost/reseouces so they might as well. The rest of the year could use maybe one more game in addition to Smash and Pokemon and a 2D Mario port would do nicely.

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I find your lack of faith in Mario Party disturbing 😋

I, on the other hand, have complete faith...
...in it causing arguments at the community centre.
Man, that game is going to cause some major upsets.

Rumour time!

(not that I particularly believe it/anything, but its something to talk about on a Sunday)

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Rumour time!

(not that I particularly believe it/anything, but its something to talk about on a Sunday)

Hasn't this guy been wrong on numerous occasions?

I don't see it, personally. While I'd day one it, it doesn't fit in line with Nintendo's ethos for the Switch which finds a nice compromise between price and power. I can't see them striving for 4K already when PS4 and Xbox One X have only just got there. Putting that much power in the machine would drive the price up a lot.

I can see them releasing a cheaper version, maybe without the dock, to support Pokemon and then a "New" beefier version at the 3-year anniversary, by which time the next editions of Sony and Microsoft's consoles will probably be on the market. 

Limiting Third Party games to a newer, more expensive model, sounds like a mistake.

So it begins... ;)

I reckon this new Switch will simply be called "Switch Plus" or "Switch +" which will be a two-fold meaning because in addition to the extra power, the "+" will mean something else...

...a D-Pad integrated into the left Joy-Con, properly this time with no limitations, this will either be part of an extra set in the box or you'll have the standard set and this'll be added in.

Surely this is likely? :D

While I can't say that I'd be too happy about buying a new Switch only two years after the original console launch, I can see some advantages...

• If it's easy to transfer, say... in a similar way to past consoles, just wirelessly transfer over and put your exisiting SD card in the new Switch, then that's great.
  • For those who have broken Switch consoles or ones which might be on the way out, this might address that to a degree even though it's an expensive option.
  • You've then got more Switch consoles on the market, factor in that the old Switches might get passed on to others as well.
  • Obviously more games will come out and older titles may be able to utlise the bump in performance.

Though I can also see disadvantages...

• Firstly, you will fragment the user base in some way if there are certain games which will ONLY run on "Switch +" and not the Switch, maybe some will run on both?
  • Only 128GB of internal storage? Certainly, that is a lot more than 32GB but... would it have cost much more to add in say... 256GB? Still... it's an upgrade.
  • If there are no other improvements then I can see it being a hard-sell to some, hance why I instantly thought of adding in that proper D-pad left joy-con.
  • If they can release this and sell it in 2019, then they will do it again in 2021... not necessarilly a bad thing but just be prepared for iteratively updated Switch consoles.

I'm sure there are plenty of other considerations but being that this is "just a rumour" for now, those are my kN-Ee-jerk reactions. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G

4K upscaling? On a Nintendo console? In 2018?

EDIT: Oh, right. Early 2019. Still...

BelovedGlassIndianglassfish.webp

The continued delusion that Nintendo would want to focus on a graphically powerful console will never not be funny. Switch is expensive enough as it is!

It ain't happening this gen. Stop making yourself look foolish, bored Twitter user.

Edited by Glen-i

I do think it’ll happen eventually, but not in early 2019.

Maybe in late 2019 - late 2020 though.  Depends on when PS5 launches (Nintendo does need to stay somewhat competitive in order to maintain the Switch’s image as a portable home console; instead of being a low powered handheld that can attach to a TV).

Edited by Dcubed

I'm not hoping this will happen by the way, my reactions are just kind of... "well, if it does happen then..." from that angle. ::shrug:

I'd be happier not having to buy a new Switch so early on, also I read that 4K stuff as... "It will look OK on a 4K TV" rather than being a huge selling point, I still like my 1080p TV. ;)

If they were to do this so early though, they would need more selling points and then a price reduction on the original model possibly.

It might be worth noting though that I just had a look at that Twitter link and it just came up with "sorry this page doesn't exist" make of that what you will.

Edited by S.C.G

I can't imagine them offering 'dynamic scaling up to 4K' for a start, the PS4 Pro can just barely render games in 4K using checkerboarding so for the Switch to offer 4K in any capacity (even just upscaling 1080p to 2160p) would be too much. Storage wise I don't think they'd offer more than 64GB on a 'plus' model, they seem happy enough for people to expand their storage with SD cards so why would they bother to increase the production cost significantly by offering more built in flash storage?

And while they have precedent with some games only working on newer models of systems (DSi & New 3DS) they have only ever introduced them after a significant length of time, right towards the end of the consoles life cycle. They haven't needed to make concessions to get big third party titles on the system, Doom Eternal is planned to release day and date, so I don't know why they would split the user base two years in. It's not like they're scrambling about for third party releases or struggling to shift hardware so it seems far too early for them to be revising the hardware. An announcement at E3 2020 with release in Late 2020 seems a more sensible prediction.

And that's before Marcus Sellars' patchy track record with 'rumours' is brought up. 

EDIT: Ha, he has taken it down now. I assume that will only spark more gossip among the rabid commenters on reddit and resetera.

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah I don't think that rumour is true really, but it's worth mulling over when/what the new version would be.  By this point in other handheld consoles Nintendo had issued a re-iteration, but I can't think of them doing so early in the life of a home console unless my memory has completely gone.

I'd be game for one with a better battery, dock and storage at this stage :p 

Yeah, I don't buy it at all. 4K? No chance in hell.  There may come a revision but that will mostly be design and memory, perhaps a better screen. Nothing that would split the player base.

Even though the New 3DS could handle games better, only very few games actually came out for it. It's just better business to release on the weaker model that everyone owns.

I almost stopped reading at 4K, that's where it loses all credibility. The PS4 Pro can barely do 4K properly, let alone something that fits in your pocket.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I almost stopped reading at 4K, that's where it loses all credibility. The PS4 Pro can barely do 4K properly, let alone something that fits in your pocket.

What forking pockets do you have?!?

Just now, Ashley said:

Take the joy con off. Figure of speech anyway

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Take the joy con off. Figure of speech anyway

It's still pretty large/misshapen for a pocket, but I know you weren't being literal ✌️

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Wow, I didn't even realise I posted...

Wait, that's not me!