NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I defy anyone who thinks they can find a worse Switch icon then this.

2738.png

I swear to all that is holy, I didn't just type an "F" with large font size and faff around with the font colour.

That's an icon for a game on the Switch! And it's driving me mad!

• Haha 2

I take your F and raise you a...

9127.png

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

• Haha 3

Better quote this for the new page...

59 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Holy shit! I just found the best website on the internet (outside of N-Europe).  Presenting...

https://www.switchiconshowdown.com/

Switch Icon Showdown! The ultimate compendium of great and awful Switch Menu Icons, in a fight to the death for ultimate supremecy and crapency!

This is the best thing ever.  I LOVE that this is a thing :laughing:

(indeed... decent second-best website)

- - - - -

As for the icons above...

At least the "F" is centered...

Aside from that, yeah... bland Switch icon.

As for the "C" icon... well, it gets points for the spiral background, but the font/colour could be a lot better.

Maybe that's the point? Perhaps these Switch icons are there to stand out, and become all the more memorable for it. ::shrug:

"For all the solid Switch icons, which don't get a mention, the more egregious examples, garner all the attention." ;) 

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

This series is going places...

5800.png

NIJqrQi.jpg

HerSAuf.png

I can't wait for 4!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 3

That's not Leon Kennedy, SHUT UP!

9189.png

I'd put it down to coincidence if it wasn't for the fact that it came out January, this year!

• Haha 1

Argh!!! This one is so upsetting...

9435.png

SO close to being an AMAZING Switch icon...

If only it had a title... (Gekisou! Benza Race -Toilet Shooting Star- if you're curious)

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I defy anyone who thinks they can find a worse Switch icon then this.

2738.png

I swear to all that is holy, I didn't just type an "F" with large font size and faff around with the font colour.

That's an icon for a game on the Switch! And it's driving me mad!

Maybe they're just grading their own game for you?

• Haha 1

Looking through all of these icons, and the sheer amount of ones with no title on them are astonishing.

Luckily, you'd never see that kind of slapdash approach with Ninty IP's. Just look at Pokémon. They range from...

Spoiler

3080.png 7071.png 3342.png

"Functional" to "Drop dead gorgeous"

Say what you will about them, but they'll always have the title on them, and it's that kind of standard I've come to expect fro

8350.png

jim-carrey-oh-come-on.gif

So yeah, I never downloaded Pokémon Unite, can you tell? Can you also tell that it's a mobile phone game ported to the Switch? Because Pokémon Quest and Pokémon Cafe Mix have no problem with this.

You know what's even worse, the icon for this game has changed quite often. The one I posted above is the fourth one. Here are the other 4(!?) icons in chronological order.

6137.png 7013.png 8111.png 8974.png

patrick-stewart-facepalm-gif.gif

I can't think of a single game on Switch that has updated it's icon to REMOVE THE BLOODY LOGO! The first icon was perfectly fine, not the prettiest one, but it served the purpose.
The current one on the right could be literally any Pokémon game, for all I know! Those are the same base Pokémon models that almost every Pokémon game uses.
Pokémon Quest has a better icon, and that game is ugly as sin!

It's shambolic, and I expect better from TPC.

• Haha 2

If others are curious and/or oblivious:

He's a composer at Nintendo and has worked on Mario, Mario Kart and 2D Legend of Zelda. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Information on a new mode coming next week where you can create your own stages. From 7:20. They are also changing the season pass to a "Fame Pass" which is basically cheaper and shorter to complete. Reckon I'll have a bash at making a level. Couldn't be much less chaotic than what's on offer already. :grin: 

Jump to 52:20 if the timestamp doesn't work for you, but Wayforward are working on a Switch exclusive game due to be announced later this year! :D

Seems like there's a good chance that the Nintendo/Wayforward partnership will be extending beyond just AW 1+2! Which is awesome!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Jump to 52:20 if the timestamp doesn't work for you, but Wayforward are working on a Switch exclusive game due to be announced later this year! :D

Seems like there's a good chance that the Nintendo/Wayforward partnership will be extending beyond just AW 1+2! Which is awesome!

At last. The world has been crying out for more Bakugan!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Wayforward are working on a Switch exclusive game due to be announced later this year! :D

Mach Rider: Suited and Re-Booted :cool:

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/05/advance-wars-switch-director-would-love-to-work-on-kuru-kuru-kururin

Not quite the game I was expecting them to pick, but cool nonetheless.  I'd be down for a new Kurukuru Kururin!

The original interview was with MinnMaxx, who deserve some more love, so check them out if you want to watch the interview :p

"How are you so confident pronouncing Kurukuru Kururin?"

busts out some Japanese 

:laughing:

Still need to play Kurukuru Kururin...

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

It's my favourite time of the Financial Year once again, with Nintendo's earnings report for Q4 FY 2023 covering the period of 1st January 2023 - 31st March 2023 dropping today, meaning it's the end of the fiscal year and once again time for their annual report!

The Big Takeaways

• In terms of hardware, the Nintendo Switch across its different SKUs sold 3.07 million units in Q4 (1st January 2023 - 31st March 2023), bringing annual sales up to 17.97 million units sold for the fiscal year (1st April 2022 - 31st March 2023), meaning it missed it's projection of 18 million units sold for the fiscal year (previously revised from 21 million units). This gives the Switch a lifetime haul of 125.62 million units; in case you missed it last quarter, this means that the Switch is the third best-selling console of all-time, behind only the Nintendo DS (154.9 million units sold) and PlayStation 2 (157.68 million uniys sold).
  • For hardware, this marks the first fiscal year since FY20 (1st April 2019 - 31st March 2020) that the Switch has not surpassed the mark of 20 million units sold. 
  • Nintendo are projecting a continued drop-off in hardware sales, going into FY24 forecasting sales of 15 million hardware units for the Switch. This isn't surprising given how late we are now into the Switch's life cycle (somehow and some way, 2017 was 6 years ago!), but expect to see that number wind down over the next few years - especially with the Switch's successor likely to release within the next 18 to 24 months. 
  • In terms of software, the Nintendo Switch has now sold 1.036 billion units, with 213.82 million software units sold in the year (that's right - 20.6% of the Switch's lifetime software sales have taken place in the last 12 months!); this sees it extend its lead as the Nintendo platform with most software units sold to date (this was previously held by the Nintendo DS - 948.76 million software units sold).  
  • Per VGC, President Shuntaro Furukawa has confirmed that there will be NO new hardware releases from Nintendo within the next 12 months. Additionally, he seemed to hint that they aren't confident of hitting their FY24 projection of selling 15 million Switch units. 

Top 10 Best-selling Switch titles as of 31st March 2023 (new Top 10 entries in bold)

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 53.79M
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 42.21M
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 31.09M
  4. Breath of the Wild - 29.81M
  5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - 25.82M
  6. Super Mario Odyssey - 25.76M
  7. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - 22.10M
  8. Super Mario Party - 19.14M
  9. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 15.41M
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 15.38M

Sales figures for other titles of note released this Financial Year (FY23)

• Pokémon Legends Arceus - 14.83M
  • Splatoon 3 - 10.67M
  • Nintendo Switch Sports - 9.60M
  • Kirby & The Forgotten Land - 6.46M 
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2.54M
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - 1.86M
  • Fire Emblem Engage - 1.61M
  • Metroid Prime Remastered - 1.09M 
  • Bayonetta 3 - 1.07M
Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 3

I was interested to see how Bayonetta Origins sold but it was clearly too insignificant a number to make it into their report - a real shame as it's a fantastic game. 

On 03/05/2023 at 7:29 PM, Dcubed said:

Wayforward are working on a Switch exclusive game due to be announced later this year! :D

Remakes and reimaginings are WayForward's bread and butter. It's great that they might be picking up other Nintendo properties for their slick treatment.

My personal prediction: Startropics

• Like 1

A new line of pastel Joy-Cons are releasing June 30th:

Look lovely :peace:

• Like 1

Vanpool have shut down. Thanks to @markderoos for providing the link.

Unlike Alphadream, this one is quite surprising, as they helped HAL with Kirby and the Forgotten Land, as well as Returns to Dream Land Deluxe. They also worked on Paper Mario: Origami King.

Those games didn't exactly flop, so I'm baffled as to what happened.

It really bums me out in particular though, because they made Dillon's Rolling Western, which means they single handedly gave us the best Nintendo character designs in the past decade. (Don't argue, it's true, I defy anyone to prove me wrong)

I hope HAL or Nintendo absorb some of the staff, it'd be a shame to let them go to waste. And Dillon needs a Switch game still. Dead Heat Breakers was getting the series to hit it's stride. It can't end there.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Sad 2

Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed is headed to the Switch:

There's no release date yet, just a vague "end of the year" but I'm very happy to hear this news. The Youutbe description mentions how it runs on switch:

The team has been hard at work adapting the game for Switch. Performing at a dynamic resolution from a range of 720 (handheld mode) to 1080p at the maximum, 30fps (industry standard for Switch)

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

Oh, now this is interesting. A 2 year in the making video from DidYouKnowGaming looking into that notorious Star Fox Grand Prix rumour.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't actually recall this rumour but a Star Fox racing game could be fun