NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Honestly I haven't felt this rejuvenated for gaming in years thanks to the Steam Deck. I know it's been joked that I'm mentioning it too much (because apparently being excited for something on here is something to be mocked) but the simple reason for that is that I am loving the device.
Well I'm not going to mock sad people - that would be cruel.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think you're right on the money with all of your points here. Hardware is now at a level where a handheld and mobile device can give console gaming experiences. I am sad to see the death of the dedicated handheld though. There were a lot of great games created on the limited hardware they had to work with.

It'll also be interesting to see what kind of competition we get from the PC market as well. SteamOS has been designed so it can be used on more than just the Steam Decks and we have already seen Windows devices for years like the Aya series but the big difference is that you need a company like Steam who can design these high end devices then swallow the costs to get it out at a better cost. The difference between similarly specced Deck and Aya can be around £800-£1000. For whats in the Deck it is a very cheap device.

I see it's that time of year again where the Switch Pro rumours start circulating.

Over the past couple of weeks there have been things like a rise in the components Nintendo are ordering, trademarks being filed, old hardware YouTube trailers being made private and analysts/insiders saying something is going on. Yesterday, there was a Chinese leaker you apparently leaked the Splatoon 3 Switch model and has also stated that a new Switch model is on the way. His info comes from a production facility in China, which isn't too unbelievable when you consider consoles in the past have been leaked from such facilities.

Given how Nintendo, like many other companies, are already struggling to make a standard product due to the lack of parts available, I find it strange that they would push for a new model at the moment, especially when the standard Switch is selling just fine. 

That being said, the hardware is showing its age now and I certainly wouldn't mind a new Switch. I don't mean a stop gap or Pro or whatever they want to call it. I'm talking about a proper hardware upgrade. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

It'll be appearing on retailers' websites or systems any minute now.

Along with Metroid Prime Trilogy HD as a launch title.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Along with Metroid Prime Trilogy HD as a launch title.

I still can't believe that Mother 3 is going to be added to NSO exclusively for the Switch Pro.

Nintend'oh

Edited by Julius

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

I still can't believe that Mother 3 is going to be added to NSO exclusively for the Switch Pro.

Nintendo'h

And even then, only for those that have gone through Reggie's book with a fine-tooth comb to puzzle out the download code.

3 hours ago, bob said:

£33 for a 512Gb, or £200 for 1Tb?

Oh, well that sucks. The 1TB one was at 88 quid last night...

1TB card arrived on Saturday from the deal @Dcubed posted. Spent half a day copying the data over. I was eying up the 512GB but the upgrade didn't seem worth it. 1TB provided some nice peace of mind not needing to worry about cleaning out the fridge.

y4myFzk40VTgnCVkNZBm7CnqSMYvj1ZUtfkFnkF2

On a somewhat related note. Anyone know if I can delete demo & their saves safely if I've already copied the save to the final game?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

On a somewhat related note. Anyone know if I can delete demo & their saves safely if I've already copied the save to the final game?

I've deleted every demo and their saves once I got the full game and made a save on that once I continued from the demo data and have had no issues so far.

I suppose it means that if I go for a second playthrough, I'll have to start from the beginning, but that's kind of the point?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ike said:

1TB card arrived on Saturday from the deal @Dcubed posted. Spent half a day copying the data over. I was eying up the 512GB but the upgrade didn't seem worth it. 1TB provided some nice peace of mind not needing to worry about cleaning out the fridge.

y4myFzk40VTgnCVkNZBm7CnqSMYvj1ZUtfkFnkF2

Congrats on your new and improved fridge! And yes, it is totally safe to delete demos after you have already moved the save over to the full game.

• Thanks 1

Nintendo Switch Online app has updated. You can send friend requests via the app now. You can also generate a QR code or URL to make it easier for people to add you.

You can now send friend requests via friend code.
  Note: Users must use a Nintendo Switch console to respond to friend requests.
・ You can now copy your friend code as a URL and/or save it as a QR Code. You can receive friend requests from anyone with whom you share the URL or QR Code.

Handy, but a tad bit too late.

• Thanks 2

Well, it's already that time again: here are the results from Nintendo's latest quarterly report, for the period ending 30th June 2022. This is typically a bit of a quieter one, but there are still some interesting points to take away. 

The Big Takeaways

• 3.43 million Switch units have been sold in the last quarter, bringing the Switch's total haul to 111.08 million units to date. This quarter represents a noticeable decline from last year's 4.45 million units sold for the same period, however Nintendo has cited that this is a result of the semiconductor shortage. The forecast for this financial year currently remains at 21 million units.
  • A few major titles launched this quarter, so we have some figures for those: Nintendo Switch Sports has sold 4.84 million units worldwide in its first 10 weeks since release; and Mario Strikes: Battle League has sold 1.91 million units. While Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes was released this quarter, due to the nature of it being published in Japan by Koei Tecmo and in the rest of the world by Nintendo, a sales update for it has not been included in Nintendo's quarterly report, meaning that so far only data for the Japanese market has been shared as of Koei Tecmo's latest quarterly report (held towards the end of July) - hopefully we'll get an update on this from Koei Tecmo if and when it overcomes any major sales thresholds. 
  • Having debuted at the tail end of last quarter, Kirby and the Forgotten Land sold an additional 1.88 million units this quarter to bring its total sales to 4.53 million units to date. This means that it has already sold more than the third and fourth best-selling Kirby titles combined, and is likely to surpass the best-selling Kirby title - Kirby's Dream Land at 5.1 million units - in the next quarter. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe rounds out the million-sellers of this quarter with another 1.48 million units sold. 
  • Surprisingly, Pokémon Legends: Arceus has still not cracked into the Top 10 Best-sellers list, not even featuring in this quarter's million-sellers list. With the release of Pokémon Scarlet & Violet in November, it seems like if it is going to break into the Top 10 Best-sellers, it will need to do so by the end of Nintendo's next quarterly report (ending 30th September) which will be dropping in early October. 
  • Advances Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp is mentioned in the quarterly report and remains on the list of titles with a date which is TBA. 

Top 10 Best-selling Switch titles as of 30th June 2022

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 46.82 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 39,38 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 28.82 million
  4.  The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 27.14 million
  5. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield - 24.50 million
  6. Super Mario Odyssey - 23.93 million
  7. Super Mario Party - 18.06 million
  8. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Pokémon Shining Pearl - 14.79 million
  9. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu!/Pokémon Let's Go Eevee!  - 14.66 million
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 14.54 million
Edited by Julius

The most interesting part of these sales is the pretty large drop-off in software sales within the US...

FZOEci5acAA5Uak?format=jpg&name=medium

People are starting to get tired of the current Switch hardware... Nintendo had better not be considering waiting much longer before announcing that successor...

Isn't lower software sales something that is being seen across the industry? I know Sony's numbers also indicated this, although I imagine it's more worrying for them given they have a newer platform on the market.

I'm certainly ready for a new Switch. I'm hoping they don't bother with a Pro model and just give us their next proper console, instead of things like the Lite and OLED.

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Isn't lower software sales something that is being seen across the industry? I know Sony's numbers also indicated this, although I imagine it's more worrying for them given they have a newer platform on the market.

I'm certainly ready for a new Switch. I'm hoping they don't bother with a Pro model and just give us their next proper console, instead of things like the Lite and OLED.

Yes, Sony have also experienced a significant software sales dropoff, but it's especially worrying for Nintendo when you consider how much stronger the Switch's software lineup is in Q1/Q2 2022 compared to Q1/Q2 2021...

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury: February 12, 2021

Bravely Default 2: February 26, 2021

Monster Hunter Rise: 26 March 2021

New Pokémon Snap: April 30, 2021

Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir + Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind: May 14, 2021

Miitopia: May 21, 2021

DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power: June 4, 2021

Game Builder Garage: June 11, 2021

Mario Golf: Super Rush: June 25, 2021

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD: July 16, 2021

Minecraft Dungeons: Ultimate Edition: July 28, 2021

Pokémon Legends: Arceus: January 28, 2022

Triangle Strategy: March 4, 2022

Kirby and the Forgotten Land: March 25, 2022

Nintendo Switch Sports: April 29, 2022

Mario Strikers: Battle League: June 10, 2022

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes: June 24, 2022

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak: June 29, 2022

Live A Live: July 22, 2022

Xenoblade Chronicles 3: July 29, 2022

3rd party software isn't managing to pick up the slack, indicating that people are spending their money elsewhere.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:
  1. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu!/Pokémon Let's Go Eevee!  - 14.66 million
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - 14.54 million

Come on Ring Fit, that ninth spot's there for the taking! 

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Come on Ring Fit, that ninth spot's there for the taking! 

It'll manage it.  The legs are too strong not to.

Scarlet/Violet will knock it back down to 10th though... though it may well still beat out BD/SP when all is said & done.

Just now, Dcubed said:

It'll manage it.  The legs are too strong not to.

Ring Fit does not skip legs day confirmed.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Legends Arceus got Sun/Moon'd... hard.  Thanks Scarlet/Violet!

Yeah, unfortunately so. A record-breaking initial few weeks of sale, in January no less for a series typically launching in November, is nothing short of remarkable, but the combination of a lack of a reason to return (very minor updates, unlikely to get a major update with Scarlet & Violet on the horizon, and lack of multiplayer features) and selling after Christmas just two months after the most recent Pokémon games really put this game in a poor position from the start. 

Again: still sold great, any many would be jealous of these sales. But for the first "open world" Pokémon game? It's very strange how that game was marketed and released. 

Also the Sun & Moon sales fiasco still bums me out. It's a very linear and easy game but was an excellent celebration of Pokémon, it more than deserved more time to reach the 20+ million mark as Sword & Shield has since. 

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, if I were Sony, even their hardware sales would be a slight bit concerning to me too. Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but I genuinely think the struggle to get stock on shelves has had this weird side effect where now that there is some stock available pretty consistently (I've seen the Horizon Forbidden West bundle available a whole lot, maybe even more so than the standalone console SKUs), no-one is really aware of it? They're also just struggling to consistently launch first party titles on the thing (for the life of me I can't remember getting anything from them as of late), but I think the latter part of this year, between TLOU Part I and Ragnarök, as well as people saving for Black Friday/Christmas/etc. should see the tide turn there. Hopefully. Maybe. 

I find myself still in such a weird spot with the Switch and the idea of a successor myself, though maybe that's because I haven't played my Switch as much I would like? I don't know if I'm looking back on the days of the DS a bit too fondly but I just haven't felt like Nintendo have got their hooks into me personally with the Switch software, and so the only reason I actually care for the Switch successor at this point is just because I don't want to play a scuffed version of the Untitled sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild ::shrug:

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

The most interesting part of these sales is the pretty large drop-off in software sales within the US...

FZOEci5acAA5Uak?format=jpg&name=medium

People are starting to get tired of the current Switch hardware... Nintendo had better not be considering waiting much longer before announcing that successor...

That's a good spot, and I think it's very interesting that every region is comparable except for The Americas, but if anything I think that suggests that there are other socioeconomic and geopolitical factors at play rather than it being down to the games or people growing tired of hardware. 

I'm more surprised that on the whole the numbers are as comparable as they are with little deviation, because I do think it's worth considering that last year Nintendo had seven different million-sellers for the same period, three of which were new debuts (New Pokémon Snap - 2.07 million; Mario Golf: Super Rush - 1.34 million; Miitopia - 1.04 million), one of which was a hangover from the previous quarter (Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 1.09 million), and while the usual suspects were still going strong, this was back when Animal Crossing was also still in the mix (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 1.69 million; Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1.26 million; Ring Fit Adventure - 1.15 million) where it's not present here. That slack has clearly been picked up this year in places by games not mentioned in today's report (third- party and indies I guess?). 

It's weird because, the feeling I get at least, is that it's just been a quiet quarter by comparison across the board compared with last year, to be honest, like @Hero-of-Time mentioned. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the only runaway success that's third-party that I can think of which released this last quarter?  Anecdotally, that's also the only new game I bought in Q2; I feel like we're firmly in backlog-tackling country, and have been for these last few months. 

56 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Yes, Sony have also experienced a significant software sales dropoff, but it's especially worrying for Nintendo when you consider how much stronger the Switch's software lineup is in Q1/Q2 2022 compared to Q1/Q2 2021...

3rd party software isn't managing to pick up the slack, indicating that people are spending their money elsewhere.

Again, the crazy part to me is that there's even a comparison to be made, let alone that the figures are so similar outside of The Americas, because I had felt that this last quarter was a pretty quiet one. I'm not sure if it's so much an indication that their money is being spent elsewhere, so much as there's been a lot of stuff going on in the world the last six months, and people tend to clutch their purse strings when there's a reason to be anxious. 

33 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I need to get back to playing Ring Fit Adventure. I never did reach the end and see the credits.

I don't know, Ring Fit strikes me as the kind of game where you're better off not seeing the credits. 

Good Ending (footage of someone who has seen the credits in Ring Fit on their morning jog):

giphy-20.gif?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1

Due to your newfound, Ring Fit-instilled strength, you are a danger to others, and a simple hug can crush those you love. You may or may not find yourself enlisted into a team where your leader occasionally smirks and teases saying the word "Assemble" a lot. You will never again know human touch. 

Bad Ending:

dead.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 2

Related news...

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xenoblade-chronicles-3-is-the-biggest-xeno-game-launch-in-the-uk-so-far-uk-boxed-charts

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was the best-selling boxed video game in the UK last week, according to charts company GfK.

The game very narrowly beat Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to become the biggest launch in the Xeno series so far, according to data shared by GfK boss Dorian Bloch to GamesIndustry.biz.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 beat its predecessor by just a handful of units in terms of week one physical sales. In fact, all three Xenoblade games on the Nintendo Switch sold roughly the same amount of units at launch, with Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition the No.3 biggest launch.

[...]

Falling to second place this week is Horizon: Forbidden West, but sales for the PlayStation game still rose 118% week-on-week, again driven by a hardware bundle featuring the game.

Also new in the charts this week is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge at No.8. Published by Merge Games, the boxed version sold best on Nintendo Switch, representing 67% of sales.

Finally, Digimon Survive comes in at No.10.

Last week's new release, Live A Live for Nintendo Switch, falls from No.6 to No.23 after a 64% drop in sales week-on-week.

01 (NE) XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 3 (NINTENDO)
02 (01) HORIZON: FORBIDDEN WEST (SONY INTERACTIVE ENT.)
03 (03) LEGO STAR WARS: THE SKYWALKER SAGA (WB GAMES)
04 (02) NINTENDO SWITCH SPORTS (NINTENDO)
05 (04) MARIO KART 8 DELUXE (NINTENDO)
06 (05) F1 2022 (EA SPORTS)
07 (07) MINECRAFT (NINTENDO)
08 (NE) TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: SHREDDER'S REVENGE (MERGE GAMES)
09 (08) ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS (NINTENDO)
10 (NE) DIGIMON SURVIVE (BANDAI NAMCO ENTERTAINMENT)

Disappointing result for Xenoblade 3 here in the UK, pretty much on par with XB2 and XB:DE at retail at least; so, basically no notable growth over its predecessors.  Hopefully it fares better elsewhere (no doubt that France will be where it really rakes in the big series growth in particular).

Surprisingly good results for Shredder's Revenge (physical) and Digimon Survive (of all things!) though.  Also, that's a pretty good 2nd week for Live A Live; RPGs normally have a much bigger 2nd week drop-off than 64%; I reckon that it'll handidly hit the millie WW when all is said and done :)

Edited by Dcubed