NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Said to myself I'd get the next Fire Emblem--I expected them to be churned out faster--so it could well be this one so bring it or get Three Houses back in stock.

Spoiler

M0fORHQ.jpeg

Lol! Nintendo Switch Hair! :laughing: 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:
  Super Ultra Mega FE Leak Spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

M0fORHQ.jpeg

Lol! Nintendo Switch Hair! :laughing: 

Wow, I can't believed Nintendo sold out to a brand for in-game advertising! 

Spoiler

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9521d0ae659dbb28e1c3

:p

• Haha 1

Spoiler

There are modern-ass lamps on the table. If this ends up being somehow true, it looks more like a spinoff than anything else.

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:
  The supposed pic (Reveal hidden contents)

There are modern-ass lamps on the table. If this ends up being somehow true, it looks more like a spinoff than anything else.

So what you're saying is we're getting Tokyo Mirage Sessions 2?

smt5_p7_nahobino_02.jpg

I can see the inspiration now!

• Haha 1

More than 25 million Switch units sold in Japan now:

Crazy stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More rumours have been going around about this upcoming week having a Direct, and apparently it will be more akin to the Direct Mini: Partners Showcases we saw back in 2020, with a focus on third party titles. 

And from the VGC article:

The Nintendo Direct expected to take place next week will reportedly focus on third-party games.

That’s according to experienced journalist Nacho Requena, editor of Spanish games magazine Manual, who told viewers during a Twitch stream on Friday that he’d been told to expect new announcements from major publishers.

“We should have a Nintendo Direct this coming Tuesday,” Requena said during the live stream, translated by VGC. “This will be mainly focused on third-party games – that’s what I’ve been told to expect."

“I’ve also been told that some Persona game will be present, though I don’t know which game,” they added. “I’ve also been told there will be another game that has been available for some time on other platforms… it’s been available for four years now.”

Requena’s ‘four-year-old’ port claim would fit with a previous claim that Rockstar was planning to bring Red Dead Redemption 2 – released in 2018 – to Switch.

Man, I would love to see the potential mess that is Red Dead Redemption 2 on Switch :D

How would you all feel about it if we do get a third party focused Direct rather than a more traditional E3/June styled Direct? It would make sense to me that the claims of a Direct happening started so early if it's a third party showcase rather than one with Nintendo front and centre (because third parties leak like crazy, but Nintendo is pretty airtight), and though I'd be a bit gutted, it sounds like it might bring the goods on the third party front, at least more so than the 2020 Partners Showcases did. Do I dare starting hoping for the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters to finally come to Switch/console? 

Probably not :p

Edited by Julius

After reading the rumours, I watched a couple of the Partner Directs yesterday evening as I couldn't remember what was shown in any of them. They were a bit of a mixed bag and a lot of the games shown seemed like filler or kinda just came and went without any fanfare.

Red Dead on the the Switch would be a novelty, just like The Witcher 3. 

With every other console getting the Persona games, you would think this would be the time to show off the Switch versions. 

If a native port of Red Dead is coming to Switch I'd be very surprised, wouldn't have thought Rockstar would be willing to put in the time and money to get it running at a passable frame rate and resolution - surely it's just a cloud version?

Are there any figures on how successful the cloud versions have been? I'd assume it's still a significant investment to do one, even if they're using current streaming infrastructure, so I'm curious to know what sort of return devs and publishers expect when releasing their games that way

41 minutes ago, Julius said:

How would you all feel about it if we do get a third party focused Direct rather than a more traditional E3/June styled Direct?

Disappointed. :blank:

Probably wouldn't even bother to watch actually, as any third party stuff I'd want would definitely be getting played on PC.

Not bought many third party games on Switch, but I now regret pretty much all of those purchases. So yeah, it's Nintendo games only for me on Switch from now on. Well, if they ever get around to making something original/appealing again. :hmm:

Wouldn't be surprised with a third party Direct, fingers crossed that includes Mario + Rabbids 2.

Usually their June Direct is for new game announcements but there isn't much need for that atm.

Nintendo are stacked this year for their own games, Mario Strikers and Fire Emblem Warriors just came out, Xenoblade and Splatoon 3 round the corner, then Pokemon and Advance Wars (?) coming out. Plus stuff like Zelda, Bayonetta etc.

50 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Not bought many third party games on Switch, but I now regret pretty much all of those purchases. So yeah, it's Nintendo games only for me on Switch from now on. Well, if they ever get around to making something original/appealing again. :hmm:

I think that's how a lot of us on here feel. Most of us have a PC or another console and so when 3rd party offerings are shown for Switch they are either late ports or worse versions. There's also the Switch Tax to pay as well. It baffles me that this is still a thing 5 years on. ::shrug: 

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's also the Switch Tax to pay as well. It baffles me that this is still a thing 5 years on. ::shrug: 

Yeah, I mean back when Switch first released Nintendo at least had something pretty unique in terms of providing a way to play more home console-esque experiences on the go, which helped to justify the Switch Tax. But now, with the likes of Steam Deck and game steaming on basically any mobile device, that USP for the Switch is completely gone. There absolutely is no way that any multiplatform game releasing today should be most expensive on Switch! :o

Will be interesting to see just how much longer that trend continues, now that there is more competition in the portable market again.

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Julius said:

More rumours have been going around about this upcoming week having a Direct, and apparently it will be more akin to the Direct Mini: Partners Showcases we saw back in 2020, with a focus on third party titles. 

Checking this list and my appetite is far from whet:
https://www.nintendo.com/third-party-partners/

How would you all feel about it if we do get a third party focused Direct rather than a more traditional E3/June styled Direct?

Hungry Mickey Mouse GIF - Hungry Mickey Mouse Goofy - Discover & Share GIFs

Man, I would love to see the potential mess that is Red Dead Redemption 2 on Switch :D

How would you all feel about it if we do get a third party focused Direct rather than a more traditional E3/June styled Direct? It would make sense to me that the claims of a Direct happening started so early if it's a third party showcase rather than one with Nintendo front and centre (because third parties leak like crazy, but Nintendo is pretty airtight), and though I'd be a bit gutted, it sounds like it might bring the goods on the third party front, at least more so than the 2020 Partners Showcases did. Do I dare starting hoping for the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters to finally come to Switch/console? 

Probably not :p

Haha, I'm good with whatever. More power to them for doing something different to their usual June routine. With Red Dead Redemptsh apparently fair game, what about the table tennis game or Body Harvest?

Would be nice to see some more stuff coming from S-E. I could whip up a list that they won't adhere to. :laughing: 

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Disappointed. :blank:

Probably wouldn't even bother to watch actually, as any third party stuff I'd want would definitely be getting played on PC.

I've regretted some Nintendo purchases on Switch which is a weird one for me. :hmm: The Switch tax on third-party games is rotten--even when something's on sale, it's already been going for pennies elsewhere. 

I'm happy for Nintendo to do whatever works for them but it looks like that means they're going to be playing it safe until profits nosedive.

• Like 1

I guess it's that time of year again. Jeff Grubb has said he's heard that Metroid Prime: Definitive Edition will be one of Nintendo's big holiday games this year.

These insiders gotta be right about this at some point, right? :p 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

An article popped up on GameSpot yesterday afternoon that discusses the recent Nintendo Direct and the Steam Deck. 

"Hope it comes to Switch." We've all seen or said or thought this countless times while finding interesting and experimental PC games that would feel great on a handheld. And developers have obliged us, transforming the Switch into a flourishing home for smaller, less hardware-intensive games. The one drawback has typically been the wait, as these games often would hit PC first and come to Switch months or even years later. That's still the case today, which is why owning a Steam Deck has made recent Nintendo Direct presentations feel a lot less exciting for me than they used to be.

Since the earliest days of Nintendo Direct, I've loved the presentation style. Video game announcements and trailers wrapped up in a quick, snappy, visually appealing package. It's no wonder that they've become the standard for the industry as more publishers move away from live events. But the star of the show has always been the games themselves. And when most of those games are also appearing on a handheld PC that looks and feels a lot like a Switch, and they're often coming to PC earlier and/or cheaper, it's hard to get too excited.

Take today's Nintendo Direct Mini, for example. Some of the games shown, like Nier Automata or Portal: Companion Collection, are already available on Steam, making the Switch version the late-comer. (Right now the Portal bundle on Steam is $3 while the newly launched Portal: Companion Collection on Switch is $20. This is partly due to the Steam Summer Sale, but that's another point in Steam's favor--these deep discounts are much more common on Valve's store.) Meanwhile, surprise drops like Little Noah: Scion of Paradise surprise-dropped on Steam right alongside the Switch. Even the big finish, the announcement that Persona 5 Royal is finally coming to the Switch, was slightly undercut by the announcement weeks ago that it's coming to PC and Xbox Game Pass.

It used to be that when I saw a great-looking indie game like Rogue Legacy 2 or Vampire Survivors, I would watch a Nintendo Direct with rapt anticipation hoping to see that they were coming to my handheld of choice. Now I have them both and I've been enjoying them for weeks on my Steam Deck. I don't need to "hope it comes to Switch" anymore, because I already have a device that, with its access to the vast PC games library that often gets games first, renders that hope irrelevant.

This isn't to say that the Nintendo Direct wasn't entertaining and full of great games. Nintendo is a big publisher, and lots of developers like to show off their wares on a Nintendo Direct first. There were plenty of games I wasn't even aware of that were shown at today's Direct. I'm just coming to terms with the fact that Steam Deck has rendered Switch an exclusives-only console--for everything else, I'll likely play on Steam Deck sooner and/or cheaper.

That's because, even for the games released simultaneously across PC and Switch, I have more confidence in my Steam library remaining with me. I would like to think that Nintendo has learned its lesson and is planning the Switch library to be forward-compatible to the next one, but there's no guarantee. Not to mention, Steam often gets more-aggressive sale prices than those on Switch, so by simply waiting a little while I can probably get the same games, on a similar device, for cheaper. More so, the Steam Deck often offers better performance, along with all of Steam's community hooks, tools like mods, and features like achievements. Game updates and patches often come to Steam before they come to Switch. And if I ever do graduate to a desktop gaming PC, I know my full library will follow me there.

This all makes it even more vital for Nintendo to show off its first-party exclusives or secure more cool-looking indie exclusives like it did back in 2017 when it first launched (Golf Story or Battle Chef Brigade deserve sequels). I love Nintendo games; I always have. There's nothing quite like the pinpoint platforming of Mario, the epic fantasy grandeur of Zelda, or the eerie isolation of Metroid. Like all Nintendo platforms, the Switch will remain the sole repository for Nintendo's unique game design sensibilities. Nintendo's own games themselves will be enough to keep the Switch in my gaming rotation for the foreseeable future, and there are still third-party developers making exclusive Switch games like Dragon Quest Treasures or Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, besides. But Nintendo hasn't had a big summer showcase like many other publishers, and this presentation was squarely focused on third-parties.

The days of "hope it comes to Switch" may be over. After years of not being a PC gamer, Steam Deck has opened a new world of early access to games that I so often had to wait for a console port of previously. That means I can get it faster, cheaper, and more future-proofed on Steam. The Steam Deck won't ultimately be a Switch killer, but it has taken some of the luster out of what used to make Nintendo Directs feel so special for me.

The author of the article makes some interesting points, one of which RedShell recently made in another topic. The Switch has had the handheld market to itself for a long time but the Steam Deck offers a new level of competition in said market. Now, there's no way the Steam Deck is going to do anywhere near Switch numbers, especially when the device isn't readily available, but its arrival does highlight the aging hardware of the Switch and charging top dollar for games being ported that are years old.

I'm not a PC gamer at all and I doubt I ever will be, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how the Steam Deck does once they are able to produce them more freely. If you already have a large Steam library and you want the ability to play your games on the go, then I can see the appeal of the Steam Deck. I know @Happenstance seems to be enjoying his. :D 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not a PC gamer at all and I doubt I ever will be, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how the Steam Deck does once they are able to produce them more freely. If you already have a large Steam library and you want the ability to play your games on the go, then I can see the appeal of the Steam Deck. I know @Happenstance seems to be enjoying his. :D 

Honestly I haven't felt this rejuvenated for gaming in years thanks to the Steam Deck. I know it's been joked that I'm mentioning it too much (because apparently being excited for something on here is something to be mocked) but the simple reason for that is that I am loving the device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on how the Steam Deck does once they are able to produce them more freely.

Same.

It's a device I'm very interested in myself. A little too pricey for me right now, but maybe in a few years I'll be able to acquire an eventual successor.
A mate has one, and I've tried it...it's incredible.

The only problem: Now that there is a serious competitor in the handheld market...there's even less of a probability (down from 0.001%) that Sony will make a PSVita 2 :( 

Edited by drahkon
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Honestly I haven't felt this rejuvenated for gaming in years thanks to the Steam Deck. I know it's been joked that I'm mentioning it too much (because apparently being excited for something on here is something to be mocked) but the simple reason for that is that I am loving the device.

Hey, i've been enjoying reading your love of the SD. It's nice to see you into gaming again.

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

The only problem: Now that there is a serious competitor in the handheld market...there's even less of a probability (down from 0.001%) that Sony will make a PSVita 2 :( 

There was a discussion on a recent episode of Sacred Symbols about rumblings of Sony looking into another handheld device. I can't see it ever happening myself though. In todays market, it's really not needed.

• Like 1

I can't decide if I want or think there is a need for a new Sony handheld at this point. It kind of feels like the areas that the PSP and Vita excelled at (indies and random jrpgs) have found places to flourish elsewhere. Maybe if they did release something like the Steam Deck which was powerful enough to run your entire digital back catalogue then it could work. Maybe that is the future of handhelds now.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hey, i've been enjoying reading your love of the SD

Yup, don't stop sharing your joy @Happenstance:peace: 

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

In todays market, it's really not needed.

I'm not talking about the market. I'm talking about my life. I need a new PSVita :p 

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can't decide if I want or think there is a need for a new Sony handheld at this point. [...] Maybe if they did release something like the Steam Deck which was powerful enough to run your entire digital back catalogue then it could work.

Agreed. A handheld that could play digital PS4 titles and give access to PS5 remote play (and streaming of PS3 games) coud work.
I doubt that the market for that is big enough to warrant an investment from Sony, though. 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I can't decide if I want or think there is a need for a new Sony handheld at this point. It kind of feels like the areas that the PSP and Vita excelled at (indies and random jrpgs) have found places to flourish elsewhere. Maybe if they did release something like the Steam Deck which was powerful enough to run your entire digital back catalogue then it could work. Maybe that is the future of handhelds now.

I think you're right on the money with all of your points here. Hardware is now at a level where a handheld and mobile device can give console gaming experiences. I am sad to see the death of the dedicated handheld though. There were a lot of great games created on the limited hardware they had to work with.

• Like 3