NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

That’s not the official translation, it’s a fan translation of the Japanese Q&A session.

Wait for the official English transcript before dissecting Furukawa’s statement here.

Edited by Dcubed

I figured it was only a matter of time before being told my post was unworthy of being posted. 

We await the official translation...

Well I hope they did say the following because it would be amusingly candid about how in the past they've dropped some consoles like a hot potato after a few years. 

Unlike the past, we continue to have a large variety of games scheduled to be released, even beyond five years of release.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Well I hope they did say the following because it would be amusingly candid about how in the past they've dropped some consoles like a hot potato after a few years. 

Nah, I'm pretty sure that the official English transcript will be totally different to the fan translation and talk about how they're actually pulling the plug on game development and that Nintendo are shutting down :p

• Haha 1

I'd probably buy that if Pro Controllers weren't so massively overpriced.

Makes me appreciate that good-as-new 30 quid one I got a few years back.

In today's episode of The Switch is Killing It!!, the Switch continues killing it: its lifetime sales in the States has now surpassed those of the PS4 in the same territory. 

This shouldn't be too surprising given the EoY report from earlier this week (107m Switch units vs 117m PS4 units), but still, it's pretty wild! 

• Thanks 2

Pretty tame questions from the investors. I liked it better during the Wii U era when they were all in a state of panic and you would get bits of news from these things. :D 

I did like Furukawa's answer about the subscription service. The Missions & Rewards feature is something i've enjoyed participating in. I make sure to grab a bunch of platinum coins each week and buy new icon pictures and frames with the coins I earn. I just wish they weren't constantly getting cycled, essentially using the FOMO tactic. I'd prefer if they were available all the time and then people can earn them without any fear of missing out. There's a weird balance to it all because you may be running short on coins and want to purchase the latest icons but the following month may feature icons from a game you really love and you could end up missing out on a lot of them due to lack of currency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I did like Furukawa's answer about the subscription service. The Missions & Rewards feature is something i've enjoyed participating in. I make sure to grab a bunch of platinum coins each week and buy new icon pictures and frames with the coins I earn. I just wish they weren't constantly getting cycled, essentially using the FOMO tactic. I'd prefer if they were available all the time and then people can earn them without any fear of missing out. There's a weird balance to it all because you may be running short on coins and want to purchase the latest icons but the following month may feature icons from a game you really love and you could end up missing out on a lot of them due to lack of currency.

See? I thought it was a cool idea, until I realised two things.

1. They don't do any meaningful missions beyond "Boot up game" for the NSO library. It would've been fun if they did a few more alongside it. For example, as well as "Boot up Super Mario Bros" they could've also done something like "Complete World 2-4" Not sure how feasible that would be though, but it would encourage people to actually play those games.

2. None of the backgrounds or frames can be used for Mii icons. If I can't use my "French girls" Mii pose, why even bother?

That said, I did actually redeem some Animal Crossing icons this week. My Animal Crossing town has all the Gators, might as well get the corresponding icons as well.

Edited by Glen-i

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

… surprise surprise! It’s substantially different from the earlier fan-translation.  And this is why I told you to hold out for the official translation before analysing it @Ronnie.

Substantially different?

The messaging is practically identical, almost word for word at times.

What is weird though is that two sentences from the non-official translation don't seem to exist anywhere on the official one.

Please note that portions of this content have been edited or revised to improve readability.

Probably edited out? They do call it a summary after all.

31 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Fall Guys is going free to play and is coming to Switch

It's taken all this time for them to make it free? :p I was actually willing to buy it as a full game so I'll be happy to try it for nothing.

Spose that means battle pass, then? Any news on that?

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Fall Guys is going free to play and is coming to Switch

Does this still have a good number of players? I was interested in this when it was announced all those years ago :p but I wonder if it still has those numbers playing. It is gonna be free though so may as well download it.

That's why it's free. I mean it's really just a small game, so it's over really. probly still get it though

UM, SEASON 1…?

With so many new players soon to be invited into the Blunderdome, our June launch will kick off with a brand new season to make it a proper welcoming celebration! Get ready to step into a giant arena to compete in the Free for All.

Alongside new levels, costumes and ever-evolving gameplay, cross-platform play and cross-progression means new challengers, new friends and new squadmates. Keep a lookout for a whole host of details as we get closer to June 21.

AND A SEASON PASS?

Beginning with the new, improved, spectacular Season 1, the Season Pass is a supercharged version of our free progression path that can be purchased with Show-Bucks, our new in-game currency. The Season Pass grants you the ability to earn new costumes and other unlockables. And remember - all Legacy Pack recipients will receive the first Season Pass free of charge!

There will be 100 levels to unlock in the Season Pass at launch, alongside the ability to unlock the next Season Pass if you max out the current one! For anyone who doesn’t pick up a Season Pass, there will continue to be a free progression path available to everyone, and Kudos will carry over from the previous version for all players.

PRE-REGISTER FOR EXCLUSIVE REWARDS!

Goodies. You want ‘em, we got ‘em. Head over to our pre-registration page today and sign up for more information on the upcoming Free for All launch to unlock a stack of rewards. How many goodies get unlocked depends on how many people sign up, so make sure to tell all your friends and help us unlock a new nameplate, bonus kudos, the burger pattern, the muscleman emote and the Melonhead costume!

If you have pre-registered, you’re registered to be awarded any of the unlocked reward milestones! All unlocked milestone rewards will be auto-granted to the Epic Account you used to pre-register (unlocked milestone rewards will be awarded to players by 11:59 PM UTC on June 27th, 2022). Get your friends to pre-register, we can reach the milestones together! For more information, please visit the Fall Guys Free for All Pre-Registration page.

https://www.fallguys.com/en-US/news/fall-guys-is-going-free-on-june-21-launching-on-playstation-nintendo-switch-xbox-and-the-epic-games-store

Answers some of my questions. 

• Thanks 1

Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund (aka the Public Investment Fund, or PIF) has claimed a $3 billion / 5% stake in Nintendo. Hoo boy. 

The tweet mentions Capcom, but they've also claimed a huge stake in SNK previously too. 

Some choice quotes to give greater insight from the Bloomberg article on the subject: 

[...]

The PIF, as the $500 billion fund is known, said the Nintendo purchase was made for investment purposes, according to a filing to Japan's Finance Ministry. That is the same reason it has given with previous investments and the holding is set to make the Saudi fund Nintendo's fifth-largest shareholder, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

[...]

"Saudi Arabia has been beefing up efforts to create its own content industry, and this series of investments in Japanese game companies is likely a way for them to learn from Japan," said Hideki Yasuda, a senior analyst at Toyo Securities.

Nowhere near as aggressive as they were when acquiring stakes in SNK (where they were majority owner before scooping up almost all of the other shares in the company), so I doubt a complete takeover is on the cards -- likely just diversifying in the face of a future without oil. It also doesn't necessarily mean Nintendo had any say in this transaction, what with them being publicly traded. 

But still, diversifying with the bloodstained hands of a murderous and backwards family (and state). It's not exactly a great look. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund has claimed a $3 billion / 5% stake in Nintendo. Hoo boy. 

b9e20f81f521888299944c7f08d9e191.gif

Sad to see but not unexpected. They've been recently buying stock in other gaming companies and Nintendo is no different, what with them being a public company and all.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's got to the point where it's next to impossible to avoid making some nasty piece of work that bit richer. These guys literally have blood on their hands and will now get wealthier with investments such as these. 

It will be interesting to see how people react to this. Places like Era were wanting people to boycott SNK after large investments were made. I wonder if they will be vocal now that the Saudis have a stake in Nintendo.

Reminds me of the Toon fans when Man City was bought. They complained about oil/blood money ruining the sport but all that was forgotten when they got bought up with blood money. :D 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It will be interesting to see how people react to this. Places like Era were wanting people to boycott SNK after large investments were made. I wonder if they will be vocal now that the Saudis have a stake in Nintendo.

Definitely not. It was easy for the majority of users there to shout about SNK, because they had no interest in their games. Nintendo is a whole different matter.

You'll still get some people there singing the same tune, but they'll be people who had no interest in Ninty's output in the first place. Era likes to pretend they're above console warring, but it's still there, just disguised as other issues.

• Like 3

And this is why Nintendo have recently been performing Share buybacks, an upcoming 10:1 stock split, and a purchase of SRD over the past few weeks/months.

Thankfully they have enough treasury shares to ward off would-be hostile takeovers, but they would do well to continue clawing back control over their own company with share buybacks and with formally acquiring long-term partners... especially as industry consolidation continues.

Edited by Dcubed

I think they do a decent job given their vehicle appears to be made out of macaroons