NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

How to Create Groups of Software

Note

• The All Software menu and groups are only available when more than 12 software titles have been downloaded to the Nintendo Switch console.
  • Up to 100 groups can be created with a max of 200 titles per group.
  • The same software can be added to multiple groups.

What to do

1. Make sure your Nintendo Switch console has been updated to version 14.0.0 or later.
  2. From the HOME Menu, scroll all the way to the right and select All Software.
  3. Press the L Button to view your software by group.ss_gp_switch_appgroups01.jpg
  4. The first time you create a group, you’ll get a popup where you can select Create Group.
  • After the first group has been created, you can press the + Button to create a new group.ss_gp_switch_appgroups02.jpg
    5. Tick all software titles that you want to add to the group, then select Next.ss_gp_switch_appgroups03.jpg
    6. Rearrange the software titles as desired, then select Next.ss_gp_switch_appgroups04.jpg
  1. 7. Enter a name for the group, then select OK.ss_gp_switch_appgroups04.jpg
    8. The new group will be added to the list of groups.ss_gp_switch_appgroups06.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/How-to-Create-Groups-of-Software-2188248.html

Easy as that according to nintendo.co.uk.

13 minutes ago, Julius said:

The only real issue I have with how they're handling things this time around is that you can't get the Groups on the home screen, so hopefully the option to do that and/or pin them to the home screen comes down the road. But still, progress is progress!

See you all in 2024 for themes? :p

Just play your dang Switch...!!

• Haha 1

This morning I decided to clean up the memory on my Switch and delete a bunch of saved data. Is there no way to select multiple things and bin them all? Having to select each bit of data one by one,  delete them and then wait for the list of games to load back up is a stupidly slow process. I cleaned it up a bit but sacked it off before getting through the whole list due to how slow it was.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This morning I decided to clean up the memory on my Switch and delete a bunch of saved data. Is there no way to select multiple things and bin them all? Having to select each bit of data one by one,  delete them and then wait for the list of games to load back up is a stupidly slow process. I cleaned it up a bit but sacked it off before getting through the whole list due to how slow it was.

No, I don't think there is.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

No, I don't think there is.

Bah! Well that's disappointing to hear. :( 

Come on, we just got folders, don't expect miracles just yet! 

Apart from that, isn't it redundant to delete save data? Isn't that about the smallest amount of data the Switch stores? 

I personally keep save data and archive the software instead.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Apart from that, isn't it redundant to delete save data? Isn't that about the smallest amount of data the Switch stores? 

Depends on the game and how many you've played. I didn't clear the whole thing and already got a couple of gigs of space back. I'm just running on what Nintendo gave me as I don't use any extra storage. Not that I need the extra space. I always delete a game once i'm done and I tend not to play multiple titles at the same time. It was just a question of me doing a bit of Switch housekeeping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This morning I decided to clean up the memory on my Switch and delete a bunch of saved data. Is there no way to select multiple things and bin them all?

You can multi-archive if that's any help.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I always delete a game once i'm done and I tend not to play multiple titles at the same time. It was just a question of me doing a bit of Switch housekeeping.

Ruthless! Well, maybe you should be better at keeping on top of deleting and you wouldn't be in this situation. ;) 

Had to remove some stuff recently myself to make room for the Kirby demo which I deleted after playing (among other stuff) to make room for the Mario Kart update, FAR: Lone Sails, Bastian, Gris. My way of doing it is to sweep through and delete demos or free-to-play games that I'm not sticking with. I've an SD card in there so my fridge capacity will be larger than yours but still needs managing. As time goes on, I find myself prioritising my interest in eShop games by their filesize. :blush: As you mention, it doesn't take long to claim back a decent whack of space... because so many of those games could be better compressed/ optimised to cut down on their allocation. 

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Come on, we just got folders, don't expect miracles just yet! 

Folders count as a miracle for Nintendo! :D

I've done one group so far. Unplayed. Here's what I found for it:
- The Bridge
- Doom 3 
- Possibly Doom 2 but I cannot remember if I've played it on Switch or not. :woops: 
- SteamWorld Heist
- Down in Bermuda
- Paratopic

I've had the first four of them for years and the other two for multiple eShop sales (if not years...!). :shakehead Reckon I could come up with more if I had a proper look. Some point and click games I got for a quid or so each and can't remember if I've played them all or not. 

7 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Ruthless! Well, maybe you should be better at keeping on top of deleting and you wouldn't be in this situation. ;) 

Indeed. This is the first time i've gone into the backend and checked it out. There was loads of saved data for demos, betas etc. just sat there. 

New mission on the NSO app: Try Super Metroid (on the SNES app). Well, you know what? I was gonna because I've been playing and loving Axiom Verge.

Additionally, instead of a new round of Mario Galaxy icons, it's been swapped out for Splatoon 2.

• Thanks 1

If you are a heavy screen shotter or capture lots of video they can add up over time too. I tend to move all my videos and photos over to my Mac when I can and then delete them off the SD card. I think I saved a good 5-8GB deleting last years lot off the card.

Has anyone else found that since the latest Switch update there seems to be a slight delay when undocking and docking the Switch now? It used to be pretty instant but now there seems to be a slight delay (maybe like a second or two) especially when docking for the picture to come back up on my tele. It's not a big deal but I just feel it's not as quick.

I hope they design the new building to be at least less square. 

They should look at the new Lego Headquarters in Billund, Denmark, to draw some inspiration. 

releasedateroundupapril22banner.620x0.webp

Release date roundup 23/04/2022

Release dates have been revealed for the following titles...

• Sonic Origins - June 23, 2022
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - July 29, 2022
  • Splatoon 3 - September 9, 2022

Check out the press releases and trailers in the article.

(trying this out as a new format, three articles in one, this may work for times when there are lots of release dates)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/04/2022 at 8:05 AM, MindFreak said:

I hope they design the new building to be at least less square. 

They should look at the new Lego Headquarters in Billund, Denmark, to draw some inspiration. 

No! Keep as is but make it purple and put a big handle on it 

Miyamoto hacked the NoA Twitter account just to confirm the delay of Illumination's Mario movie:

As a wise Shigeru Miyamoto once said, and I quote:

Shigeru-miyamoto-john-lamparski@2000x127

A delayed film could eventually be good, but it's also probably an Avatar sequel – the blue people, not the weird monk kid with the blue arrow tattoos. A rushed film could be pretty bad, probably. I wouldn't really know, I don't make films. 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 7

Please tell me that's a genuine quote. That would be awesome he used The Last Airbender in it.

• Haha 1

Nintendo is expecting to report an overall decrease in Switch hardware sales of 10% as a result of the ongoing components shortage, ahead of their end of year report. From Nikkei:

Nintendo expects to sell only about 20 million Switch game consoles in the current fiscal year, a 10% decrease from fiscal 2021, despite strong demand, Nikkei has learned, as a semiconductor shortage and disruptions to logistics networks hamper production.

The figure is a 30% decrease from fiscal year 2020, when sales of the Switch hit a peak at 28.83 million units.

The number of Switches sold in fiscal 2021 is estimated at 23 million units, a 20% decrease from the previous year. That fiscal year, Nintendo initially planned to produce a record 30 million of the consoles, but the global chip shortage made it difficult to procure microcontrollers and other products, and the company lowered its production forecast in the fall.

The handheld Switch has been on the market for six years, but demand remains solid. The new model launched in October features screens with improved color reproduction and continues to be in short supply at some stores.

The Kyoto-based company would like to start increasing production, but the prolonged chip shortage and global supply chain disruptions exacerbated by Russia's invasion of Ukraine will impact production.

No surprise there. I still think there's some logic in the speculation that the direction that the Switch OLED eventually took was as a result of these shortages, and while it does seem to be slowly improving, it makes it even tougher than usual to predict Nintendo's plans for the Switch successor and it's rollout. 

Edited by Julius

30 minutes ago, Julius said:

Nintendo is expecting to report an overall decrease in Switch hardware sales of 10% as a result of the ongoing components shortage,

Tell me how much the AW 1+2: Re-Boot Camp delay is expected to impact Nintendo's sales forecast without telling me how much the AW 1+2: Re-Boot Camp delay is expected to impact Nintendo's sales forecast. ;)

:indeed: 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Julius said:

I still think there's some logic in the speculation that the direction that the Switch OLED eventually took was as a result of these shortages

Yeah I 100% think that's the reason for the OLED.

Heads up, the audiobook version of Reggie's book is now out on Audible (the hardback version is out next week; still have it on pre-order).

IGN have published an article about the growing concern in regards to the treatment of contract workers over at NoA.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-america-contractors-full-time-complaints-report

These reports started surfacing a few weeks back and IGN have looked into it further, which is surprising given they rarely do actual journalism. :D 

Whilst some large companies do operate like this, that doesn't mean say that it should be the norm. People should be treated with respect and fairly, regardless if they are contract/agency workers or not.

Reggie gives his thoughts on the issue.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/05/reggie-talks-about-noa-union-issues-this-isnt-the-nintendo-that-i-left

Reading stories like this, as well as the countless others that do the rounds these days, really saddens me. You would think that the whole pandemic would have brought humanity together a little, with people being more humble and caring but this clearly isn't the case. If anything I'd say things seem to be going in the opposite direction. :(