NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

8 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
14 hours ago, Jonnas said:
The eShop for both the Wii U and 3DS will officially close down in March 2023, leaving us unable to purchase further games. And if you don't have a joined Nintendo account, the ability to add funds to those systems will cease even earlier (August this year, I believe).
Any previously bought game will still be available for a good while, at least.

Anyone know what happens to credit left on your account after that point? Pay for the office bubbly perhaps?

It's attached to your account as long as you also you merged your accounts when they introduced the NNID on the 3DS

That's pretty insane that it's five years old now and has shown no signs of slowing down and is, by Nintendos admission, not near the end of its life. Lets hope for another great run of (maybe) 5 years. Bring on some new games Nintendo.

I'm amazed at how well my launch unit has held up too, besides getting the joy cons repaired and some slight reduction in battery life it's still in great working order - very impressive given how many hundreds (or thousands) of hours I've used it for.

Surely when they do eventually release the Switch 2 it'll be a success right? I know Nintendo have a pattern of one success followed by a flop going on their recent consoles but if it retains the same ecosystem and concept, there's too much momentum for it to flop isn't there? 5 years into the Wii's life it was very noticably on the decline, looking dated next to the HD consoles from Sony and Microsoft, but even the release of the PS4 and Series X doesn't seem to have slowed the juggernaut down very much

• Like 1

That's pretty insane that it's five years old now and has shown no signs of slowing down and is, by Nintendos admission, not near the end of its life. Lets hope for another great run of (maybe) 5 years. Bring on some new games Nintendo.
I can't be alone in hoping that the Switch doesn't last another 5 years, and hoping that the successor comes along sooner rather than later? After revisiting Breath of the Wild not long ago it felt noticeably more choppy than many more recent games I've become accustomed to. I'd love to see a more powerful Switch successor.

I think they'll support it for another 5 years, at least, but I'd be surprised if the successor isn't out before then. 

Plus Ubisoft will keep releasing Just Dance for another 10

• Haha 1

Maybe they know that the tech they need will not be ready in a few years, so they are waiting for that (of course with these sales it is hard to stop producing it).

5 hours ago, killthenet said:

Surely when they do eventually release the Switch 2 it'll be a success right? I know Nintendo have a pattern of one success followed by a flop going on their recent consoles but if it retains the same ecosystem and concept, there's too much momentum for it to flop isn't there?

If the portable aspect doesn't cancel out the potential flop induced by the home console side of it... then Nintendo could well be doomed.

• Sad 1

BTW, this is a really random observation that just hit me... But Switch really doesn't have a lot of high profile cancellations in general that we know about (outside of Namco's Metroid Prime 4 and Ridge Racer 8, if the rumours are to be believed; as well as Ubisoft's Steep). That's very unusual for a Nintendo platform in general, even including the successful ones!

Pretty much every previous Nintendo console and handheld has been a veritable graveyard of cancelled releases from 1st and 3rd party developers.  On NES you had the likes of Simcity, Earthbound Beginnings, Final Fantasy 4 etc; even Wii had a cancelled Pilotwings game, Kid Icarus, Rogue Leaders, Project Hammer/Wii Crush, Wii Motorsports, Star Fox, Pikmin 3 etc... Though I suppose if Retro's Metroid Prime 4 does indeed get pushed back to Switch 2 as I suspect, that could get added to the list...

Compared to Nintendo's history of cancelled games across all of their platforms? Switch's list does stand out as particularily small, especially considering the sheer size of its library!

I mean, I get that we're not privy to everything that's happening behind the scenes right now, and that we may well find out about more cancellations after the Switch gets replaced, but we'd normally have found out about a LOT more cancellations by this point!

Edited by Dcubed

Nintendo has pretty much stopped announcing games too early, which might be the principal factor. Maybe down the line we'll hear about some random Wario Land or Wave Race game that got scrapped halfway through development, but since they were never announced, they were never "cancelled" either.

Noteworthy that among the exceptions that were announced earlier than usual (BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3), includes the one game that you mentioned could be cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Nintendo has pretty much stopped announcing games too early, which might be the principal factor. Maybe down the line we'll hear about some random Wario Land or Wave Race game that got scrapped halfway through development, but since they were never announced, they were never "cancelled" either.

Yup, I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head. Nowadays with the frequent Directs, they've found a rhythm where they can hype us for what's in the pipeline for the immediate future rather than dangling a carrot to string us along for the next year-plus, so any "Project HAMMERs" they're working on right now won't be public knowledge until release is imminent. 

Like, for example, we don't know how Kirby games were floated and made it through prototyping only to be cancelled until The Forgotten Land ended up being the breakthrough idea, which was announced in September for release in (the following) March.

------------------------------------

Nintendo Switch Online app has been updated to version to version 2.0.0. Here's the patch notes:

・ The app’s overall design has been updated.
・ You can now see which of your friends are online.
・ You can change your online-status settings.
・ You can view your friend code.
・ Other minor changes have also been implemented.

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-switch-online-app-update-out-now-version-2-0-0-patch-notes/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

You can view your friend code

I knew that App was barebones, but "You can now check your own contact info" has to take the cake on the list of basic functions that should've been there from the start.

Between this and the absence of a shopping cart on the Epic Games Store, there's a surprising lack of care for UIs in gaming.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I knew that App was barebones, but "You can now check your own contact info" has to take the cake on the list of basic functions that should've been there from the start.

Between this and the absence of a shopping cart on the Epic Games Store, there's a surprising lack of care for UIs in gaming.

But who doesn't remember their 16 number friend code off the top of their head? 

I guess their lack of care in UI/UX is because its a walled garden. Slightly less with Epic where there's some crossover with Steam (although I know they have exclusive stuff) but certainly with the console-specific stores you can't go anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Yeah, it's not great.

The only thing I use it for is the Animal Crossing section, which is surprisingly useful.

Despite the bar being so low it's basically lying on the ground, the Animal Crossing area in the app is pretty decent. Nook Points and the app-exclusive items, the catalog and access to a keyboard and reactions is really handy for online. 

I'm particularly enjoying the Island Newspaper at the moment.

uc?export=view&id=1byTnyP9qagngs4-ikvpJX

uc?export=view&id=1c-bBBfjkTqLt6M31rfmK6

I think it's just a nice little inclusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2022 at 1:02 PM, Dcubed said:

BTW, this is a really random observation that just hit me... But Switch really doesn't have a lot of high profile cancellations in general that we know about (outside of Namco's Metroid Prime 4 and Ridge Racer 8, if the rumours are to be believed; as well as Ubisoft's Steep). That's very unusual for a Nintendo platform in general, even including the successful ones!

Pretty much every previous Nintendo console and handheld has been a veritable graveyard of cancelled releases from 1st and 3rd party developers.  On NES you had the likes of Simcity, Earthbound Beginnings, Final Fantasy 4 etc; even Wii had a cancelled Pilotwings game, Kid Icarus, Rogue Leaders, Project Hammer/Wii Crush, Wii Motorsports, Star Fox, Pikmin 3 etc... Though I suppose if Retro's Metroid Prime 4 does indeed get pushed back to Switch 2 as I suspect, that could get added to the list...

Compared to Nintendo's history of cancelled games across all of their platforms? Switch's list does stand out as particularily small, especially considering the sheer size of its library!

I mean, I get that we're not privy to everything that's happening behind the scenes right now, and that we may well find out about more cancellations after the Switch gets replaced, but we'd normally have found out about a LOT more cancellations by this point!

I'm so sorry everyone :(

Dude, the game is not currently cancelled. And if it is, it's not your fault. 😋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

They finally did it :D

Spoiler

What to do

1. Make sure your Nintendo Switch system has been updated to version 14.0.0 or later.

2. From the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu, scroll all the way to the right and select All Software.

3. Press the L Button to view your software by groups.

4. The first time you create a group, you’ll get a popup where you can select Create New Group.

After the first group has been created, click the + Button to create a new group.

5. Check all software titles that you want to add to the new group, then press Next.

6. Re-arrange the software titles as desired, then press Next.

7. Enter a name for the group, then press OK.

8. The new group will be added to the list of Groups.

Seems to be folders in all but name and location, which is close enough for me! :bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

FOLDERS

Ver. 14.0.0 (Released March 21, 2022)

"Groups" feature was added to the All Software menu.

You can now create groups of software to help organize your software titles.

Making groups for different game genres, developers, or whatever you’d like to organize by may make it easier to find the application you want.

Up to 100 groups can be created with a max of 200 titles per group.

The button to proceed to the "All Software" screen is displayed only when there are 13 or more software title icons on the system.

For more information, see How to Create Groups of Software.

Bluetooth® Audio volume behavior was changed.

You can now adjust the volume of Bluetooth audio devices using either the Nintendo Switch™ console or through volume control buttons on the Bluetooth audio device.

The Bluetooth audio device must support AVRCP profiles for these changes to work.

The volume displayed on the console will reflect the Bluetooth audio volume when using the device’s control buttons.

The maximum volume output for some Bluetooth audio devices has been increased.

When first connecting a device, volume will be reduced to avoid sudden loudness.

For more information, see How to Pair and Manage Bluetooth Audio Devices.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 4

Thanks for the info, @Helmsly. I thought that overnight maintenance was just going to be the usual stability updates, perhaps Mario Kart related or just to get the next set of icons on the NSO app... certainly nothing like folders. :o There's a message from Amelia N. on the Switch news feed with an update button at the bottom.

Now that games can be grouped I'm not sure what I want to do with it anymore. :blush: A group of unplayed might be a good start.

• Like 1

I really wish you could leave blank spaces inside each folder like you can on 3DS and Wii U... Ruddy annoying that you can't do that in order to help seperate things...

But still! FOLDERS!!!!!!!!!! :D It only took 3,000 years, but we finally got there!

Edited by Dcubed

The only real issue I have with how they're handling things this time around is that you can't get the Groups on the home screen, so hopefully the option to do that and/or pin them to the home screen comes down the road. But still, progress is progress!

See you all in 2024 for themes? :p

• Haha 2