NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

SRD is a development company which has been closely involved for nearly four decades in developing Nintendo video game software.

Completion of the Acquisition (exclusive of treasury stock) will serve to strengthen the management base of SRD and secure the availability of software development resources for Nintendo, in addition to facilitating an anticipated improvement in software development efficiency.

The Acquisition is expected to close on April 1, 2022, pending satisfaction of all relevant terms and customary closing conditions. 

Nintendo acquires SRD Co., Ltd who they have worked with from the NES days all the way up to Game Builder Garage.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/220224e.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They're literally Nintendo's oldest development partner; dating all the way back to 1979.  They've provided programming support for basically every single EAD game ever made and have operated in the same building as EAD/EPD for the last 40 odd years (they also sell CAD software to outside companies).

This is a really interesting M&A because it is a purely protective one.  Nintendo are only buying them now in order to prevent any chance of an outside company getting their hands on them.  Proves that Nintendo are willing to go down the M&A route in response to what Microsoft, Tencent, Embracer, Sony etc are doing now in order to protect their most mission-critical partners.  Also proves that I was right and that they bought NLG in order to prevent anyone else from getting their hands on them.

The billion $ question now though is... How far are Nintendo willing to go with this? Intelligent Systems and HAL will almost certainly be next on their list (they're technically independent companies, like SRD were, despite basically being internal Nintendo studios in all but name); but will they extend to also complete M&A to protect companies like Camelot and Greezo? Mercurysteam? Vanpool? Indieszero? Tecmo-Koei?

How far will they go?

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

will they extend to also complete M&A to protect companies like Camelot and Greezo? Mercurysteam? Vanpool? Indieszero? Tecmo-Koei?

Dibs on AlphaDream! Oh... 
Supper Mario Broth - One of Luigi's animations in Mario ...

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Dibs on AlphaDream! Oh... 

To this day it still baffles me that they let the likes of CiNG and AlphaDream shut up shop.  

Missions and Rewards added to Nintendo Switch Online

Have you checked out the Nintendo Switch Online* section on your Nintendo Switch system lately? With the recent update, you can now earn My Nintendo™ Platinum Points** by using the Nintendo Switch Online service. You can then redeem your Platinum Points for exclusive rewards, including icon elements you can use to create a new look for your user icon!

Exclusive missions
NSO_missions-screenshot-EN

Visit the new Missions & Rewards section of the Nintendo Switch Online app on your Nintendo Switch System. You’ll find a list of missions you can complete simply by doing things you’re probably already doing with your Nintendo Switch Online membership, like playing online or trying out the library of classic games. Sound easy? It is!

Fun rewards
NSO_rewards-screen-EN

After you’ve completed one of these missions, just head back to the Nintendo Switch Online app to collect your Platinum Points, which you can redeem for digital wallpapers, physical items from the My Nintendo Store, and new member-exclusive icon elements you can collect and put together to create a new user icon.

Introducing icon elements!
NSO_icon-elements_EN

One of the new features in the latest update for the Nintendo Switch Online app is the ability to redeem Platinum Points for elements for your user icon. You can get frames, characters, or background elements to create your own user icon that can be seen by other Nintendo Switch players when you’re online. Each month will have a different theme and icon elements will be refreshed each week, so be sure to check the Nintendo Switch Online app on your Nintendo Switch system so you don’t miss any!

Available until 4/3:

Animal Crossing ™: New Horizons (March birthdays) and Super Mario Odyssey™
LHA-493-NSO_M_G_GameNews_march_0224-EN_v01

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2022/missions-and-rewards-added-to-nintendo-switch-online/

Posting here as I'm pretty sure we don't have a "General NSO Discussion" thread and this doesn't seem to apply only to Expansion Pack members. I didn't see anything about this on nintendo.co.uk but hopefully they bring it over!

Maybe folders... 

• Like 2

Oh, that's neat. Shame I'm never changing from my Mii's "Draw me like one of your French girls" pose.

Why mess with perfection?

It could use a nice frame, so hopefully, it comes over here.

EDIT: Oh wait, you can't use any element of these on a Mii avatar? Fail! Guess my profile pic gets no update then.

Edited by Glen-i

I was checking recently to see if they had any Xenoblade options so it would be nice if they add them through this. Hopefully it isn't too much busywork to unlock this stuff within the time limits.

Looks like I have two Animal Crossing birthdays coming up judging by the pic. Must get back to it... :indeed: 

EDIT: Missions & Rewards is on my NSO app on the Switch, so it's available on this side of the pond!

Edited by darksnowman
  • Thanks 1

It's a shame these things can't be used for better rewards, such as Nintendo Switch Online itself. 

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2022/missions-and-rewards-added-to-nintendo-switch-online/

Posting here as I'm pretty sure we don't have a "General NSO Discussion" thread and this doesn't seem to apply only to Expansion Pack members. I didn't see anything about this on nintendo.co.uk but hopefully they bring it over!

Well that's pretty neat, but...

3 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Maybe folders... 

...just give me some folders and themes please already, damn it Nintendo! 

3 hours ago, Cube said:

It's a shame these things can't be used for better rewards, such as Nintendo Switch Online itself. 

Tried to redeem some platinum points for these and it says you need to be an NSO member to proceed. :woops: And some of them are already set to expire in 6 days! I was intending to pony up for a year of online for the Mario Kart expansion but they might be forcing my hand here...

51 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Perhaps Switch 2 isn’t as far off from release as we thought?

Is the Breath of the Wild sequel set to be yet another Zelda game caught in the Venn diagram between generations? :blank:

33 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Is the Breath of the Wild sequel set to be yet another Zelda game caught in the Venn diagram between generations? :blank:

Defo.  Nintendo would be absolutely stupid not to push it back and repeat history.

For what it's worth, here are the specs for the Jetson Orin NX, which Switch 2's SOC seems to be based on...

Jetson Orin NX Module Technical Specifications

AI Performance 100 TOPS (INT8)
GPU NVIDIA Ampere architecture
with 1024 NVIDIA® CUDA® cores and 32 Tensor Cores
Max GPU Freq 1 GHz
CPU 8-core Arm® Cortex®-A78AE v8.2 64-bit CPU
2MB L2 + 4MB L3
CPU Max Freq 2 GHz
DL Accelerator 2x NVDLA v2.0
Vision Accelerator PVA v2.0
Memory 12GB 128-bit LPDDR5
102.4 GB/s
Storage Supports external NVMe
CSI Camera Up to 4 cameras (8 via virtual channels*)
8 lanes MIPI CSI-2
D-PHY 1.2 (20 Gbps)
Video Encode 1x 4K60 | 2x 4K30 | 6x 1080p60 | 14x 1080p30 (H.265)
Video Decode 1x 8K30 | 2x 4K60 | 6x 4K30 | 12x 1080p60 | 24x 1080p30 (H.265)
UPHY 3 x1 + 1 x4 PCIe Gen 4
3x USB 3.2 Gen2
Networking 1x GbE
Display 1x 8K60 multi-mode DP 1.4a (+MST)/eDP 1.4a/HDMI 2.1
Other I/O 3x USB 2.0
3x UART | 2x SPI | 4x I2C | 1x CAN | DMIC | DSPK | 2x I2S | 15x GPIOs
Power 10W | 15W | 25W
Mechanical 69.6mm x 45mm
260-pin SO-DIMM connector

Yum yum!

That list of words and numbers means nothing to me. The true test of power is if a Xenoblade game doesn't look like a mess when played in handheld mode. :p 

• Haha 3

In light of the coming closure, all I ask from a Switch 2 is that it somehow incorporates a second screen in order to be able to play DS, 3DS, and/or Wii U gamepad games. Even as re-releases, if need be.

Other than that, specs are irrelevant to me. Specs shmpecs, or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

In light of the coming closure, all I ask from a Switch 2 is that it somehow incorporates a second screen in order to be able to play DS, 3DS, and/or Wii U gamepad games. Even as re-releases, if need be.

Other than that, specs are irrelevant to me. Specs shmpecs, or something.

Yup. Every time I fire up the 3DS I remember just how good dual screen gaming is. Having something simple as a map or stats on a separate screen makes such a big difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The technology behind the Switch screen is different from 3/DS right? Because otherwise couldn't they just add games you play in portrait mode and use the bottom half?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

The technology behind the Switch screen is different from 3/DS right? Because otherwise couldn't they just add games you play in portrait mode and use the bottom half?

Yep, the touch screen is functionally different, so a lot of DS games that utilise it for anything more then simple and slow taps would be awful to play on the Switch.

That's why it works on the WiiU, but Ninty would be hesitant to do the same on the Switch.

1 hour ago, euroninfan said:

@Jonnas what closure ?

I'm assuming he's talking about the upcoming closure of the 3DS eShop.

Soon you won't be able to download anything from it.

Edited by Glen-i

2 hours ago, euroninfan said:

@Jonnas what closure ?

The eShop for both the Wii U and 3DS will officially close down in March 2023, leaving us unable to purchase further games. And if you don't have a joined Nintendo account, the ability to add funds to those systems will cease even earlier (August this year, I believe).

Any previously bought game will still be available for a good while, at least.

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Defo.  Nintendo would be absolutely stupid not to push it back and repeat history.

You heard the man, Nintendo! Push it! Flip it! Add waggle, stat!

The eShop for both the Wii U and 3DS will officially close down in March 2023, leaving us unable to purchase further games. And if you don't have a joined Nintendo account, the ability to add funds to those systems will cease even earlier (August this year, I believe).
Any previously bought game will still be available for a good while, at least.
Anyone know what happens to credit left on your account after that point? Pay for the office bubbly perhaps?