NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

1 hour ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I figured it was because it's 2022 now haha. But yeah, the Pokémon split sounds reasonable too.

But this is a list of games most played in 2021 so 21 would make sense. 

But yeah those pesky Pokémon are probably to be proscribed.

I've been playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond this past week and kind of feel like I made the wrong decision between getting that and Sword/Shield. It's fine and I expect I'll finish it but its a bit more basic than I was expecting (given that its a remake of an earlier game that shouldn't really have surprised me) and I'm getting a bit bored. I also thought I remembered a lot more variety to the Pokemon you find in these earlier games. I'm 4 gym badges in now (I think) and I'm using basically the same team of Pokemon I found near the beginning as that's all that seems to appear.

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I've been playing Pokemon Brilliant Diamond this past week and kind of feel like I made the wrong decision between getting that and Sword/Shield. It's fine and I expect I'll finish it but its a bit more basic than I was expecting (given that its a remake of an earlier game that shouldn't really have surprised me) and I'm getting a bit bored. I also thought I remembered a lot more variety to the Pokemon you find in these earlier games. I'm 4 gym badges in now (I think) and I'm using basically the same team of Pokemon I found near the beginning as that's all that seems to appear.

When you played the original games, was it Diamond/Pearl or Platinum?

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

When you played the original games, was it Diamond/Pearl or Platinum?

I think I played Diamond originally if I remember right. I didn't complete it back then though.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think I played Diamond originally if I remember right. I didn't complete it back then though.

Well yeah, it's pretty much the same then.

For what it's worth, the Grand Underground has a bunch of Pokémon that you can't get normally.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Has there been any word or rumblings about other Ace Attorney games being ported to the Switch? It’d be nice to get Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies etc.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Has there been any word or rumblings about other Ace Attorney games being ported to the Switch? It’d be nice to get Apollo Justice, Dual Destinies etc.

That's a big shrug on that front.

That said, there are ioS versions of those games, so it wouldn't be difficult to port them.

Just depends on if Capcom feel like it.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That's a big shrug on that front.

That said, there are ioS versions of those games, so it wouldn't be difficult to port them.

Just depends on if Capcom feel like it.

Yeah I have them on Android. Ace Attorney has always been one of my big weaknesses so I tend to buy them on most platforms so it’d be nice to get them all in one place.

On 03/01/2022 at 6:47 PM, Dcubed said:

It's because of Pokemon Sword/Shield and Let's Go being split into 2 SKUs.  It is actually 20 games still.

FIFA brings it down to 19.

• Haha 1

On 12/01/2022 at 1:22 PM, Happenstance said:

Sword and Shield is a big disappointment too. Seriously. Similar to you, I had Diamond on DS but never finished it and didn't play Pokémon again until Switch because hey, every Nintendo series seemed to be knocking out of the park so Pokémon might well be traditional to a fault, but having not played it for so long it would still be great to get back to, right? WRONG. :nono: 

You should have gone with Link's Awakening, or even Skyward Sword if you haven't played it on Wii. Next time compile a better list of options! There are trillions of games on Switch for crying out loud. :p 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Sword and Shield is a big disappointment too. Seriously. Similar to you, I had Diamond on DS but never finished it and didn't play Pokémon again until Switch because hey, every Nintendo series seemed to be knocking out of the park so Pokémon might well be traditional to a fault, but having not played it for so long it would still be great to get back to, right? WRONG. :nono: 

You should have gone with Link's Awakening, or even Skyward Sword if you haven't played it on Wii. Next time compile a better list of options! There are trillions of games on Switch for crying out loud. :p 

My problem is that loads of the games on Switch I would rather play elsewhere on a more powerful console/pc. My list was pretty much the only games that interested me.

• Sad 1

If you are an NSO subscriber, there is a Terreria trial that runs from the 26th of January until the 1st of February

• Like 2

This one slipped under my radar somehow, but the 3rd entry in Nintendo's Ask The Developer interview series (Basically the new Iwata Asks) is out now! This time it's about Big Brain Academy Switch!

https://www.nintendo.com.au/news-and-articles/ask-the-developer-vol-3-big-brain-academy-brain-vs-brain

Here's the previous two entries in case you missed them...

Vol 1: Game Builder Garage: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/July/Ask-the-Developer-Vol-1-Game-Builder-Garage-2000494.html

Vol 2: Nintendo Switch OLED Model: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/ask-the-developer-vol-2-nintendo-switch-oled-model-part-1/

• Like 2

Pokemon Sword just came up as an Amazon bundle deal so I've just ordered it. We'll see if I enjoy this one more (sorry @darksnowman I know you still wanted me to go with the Zeldas lol)

• Confused 1

On 19/01/2022 at 4:13 PM, Helmsly said:

If you are an NSO subscriber, there is a Terreria trial that runs from the 26th of January until the 1st of February

Thanks for the heads up--I triggered a free week of NSO to give it a go but it wasn't long before I was availing of having access to the SNES app once again. What with DKC 3, LTTP, SMW, F-Zero and all at my fingertips it's impossible not to... :blush: 

Terraria seems all right like but I managed to get stuck in the dark almost immediately in the tutorial! Did a normal "journey" after that and explored a bit. Not really sure what you're meant to be at in it. 

On 25/01/2022 at 1:52 PM, Happenstance said:

Pokemon Sword just came up as an Amazon bundle deal so I've just ordered it. We'll see if I enjoy this one more (sorry @darksnowman I know you still wanted me to go with the Zeldas lol)

No skin off my nose, buddy. Your time and money. I just gave you my opinion on how you could best use both. Hope you get some enjoyment out of Sword. :peace: 

Playstation finally comes to Switch!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

Nintendo's Q3 earnings report has dropped, covering the period of 1st October 2021 to 31st December 2021. 

The Big Takeaways

- 10.67 million hardware units sold this quarter between the Switch, Switch Lite, and Switch OLED, which brings the total number of Switch consoles sold up to 18.95 million units sold for the financial year. Of these, 3.99 million units sold were for the newly released OLED model. This brings the overall lifetime sales of the Switch past the 100 million units sold mark for the very first time, to 103.54 million units sold. 

- this makes it official: the Nintendo Switch has flown past the total lifetime sales of the Wii (101.63 million units sold), making it the best-selling Nintendo home console. This has also seen it overtake the sales of the original PlayStation (102.5 million units sold), putting it at fifth on the all-time best-selling list of consoles. Next on its hit list is the PlayStation 4 (116.4 million units sold) and the original Game Boy (118.69 million units sold), both of which it will likely overtake by the end of the next financial year (ending March 2023). After that, the Switch will find itself in no-man's land, chasing the sales number of the Nintendo DS (154.9 million units sold) and the PS2 (157.68 million units sold). 

- a reminder that the annual projection for console sales of the Switch were lowered last quarter from 25.5 million units to 24 million units, and then last month was revised down to 23 million. For reference, the Switch sold 4.73 million units in Q4 of its Nintendo's last financial year, so it's going to be a tight one. 

- Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield are now the second best-selling set of Pokémon games at 23.9 million units sold, having overtaken the combined sales of Gold & Silver (23.7 million units sold - had it down as 23.1 million before, but this report from 2010 is apparently more trustworthy than wherever the 23.1 million figure came from). For reference, the best-selling set of Pokémon games to date is Red/Green/Blue (31.38 million units sold), but it's highly unlikely that Sword/Shield will come close to surpassing those sales. 

- Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl debuted in November and have already sold 13.97 million units, just barely shy of the lifetime total for Let's Go Pikachu!/Eevee! at 14.33 million units sold. This means it debuts at #9 on the List of Top 10 best-selling first party Switch titles, and makes it the best launch for a Pokémon remake to date. For reference, on the Switch the Let's Go games sold 10 million units and Sword/Shield sold 16.06 million units in a similar timeframe, and back on the 3DS, Sun/Moon sold 14.61 million in its first quarter. 

- Metroid Dread, sold 2.74 million units from it's launch in October through to the end of December. It will very likely overtake Metroid Prime as the best-selling title in the series by the end of the next quarter (2.84 million units sold). The other big title to launch this quarter, Mario Party Superstars, sold 5.43 million units. Elsewhere, a smaller title to debut this quarter, Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain sold 1.28 million units. 

- to update the sales numbers of the other titles released in 2022: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has sold 3.85 million units, Super Mario World + Bowser's Fury has sold 8.85 million units, New Pokémon Snap has sold 2.36 million units, Mario Golf: Super Rush has sold 2.26 million units, Miitopia has sold 1.63 million units, WarioWare: Get it Together! has sold 1.24 million units, and Game Builder Garage sold 1.01 million units. 

- another strong quarter for Ring Fit Adventure (1.32 million units sold) has given it lifetime sales of 13.53 million units sold, seeing it edge out Splatoon 2 to the #10 spot. 

- the lifetime sales of Luigi's Mansion 3 have now reached a whopping 11.04 million units sold! That's Next Level Games' first title to pass the tally of 10 million units sold. 

- the lifetime sales of Mario Kart 8 (Wii U and Switch) have surpassed 50 million units sold (8.46 million on Wii U, 43.35 million on Switch). Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 4.61 million units in this last quarter alone. 

Top 10 Best-selling Switch titles as of 31st December 2021

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 43.35 million

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 37.62 million

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 27.40 million

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 25.80 million

5. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield - 23.90 million

6. Super Mario Odyssey - 23.02 million

7. Super Mario Party - 17.39 million

8. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu!/Pokémon Let's Go Eevee! - 14.33 million

9. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Pokémon Shining Pearl - 13.97 million

10. Ring Fit Adventure - 13.53 million

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

As always, the software sales are staggering.

The hybrid just keeps going from strength to strength. Seeing as the sales are still stupidly strong, I don't see the need for Nintendo to rush out a new console. Same goes for a new version of Mario Kart.

PS4 will easily be surpassed. I still think it will take the crown from the PS2 as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

- the lifetime sales of Mario Kart 8 (Wii U and Switch) have surpassed 50 million units sold (8.46 million on Wii U, 43.35 million on Switch).

Do they do combined Wii U + Switch numbers for other games?

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Top 10 Best-selling Switch titles as of 31st December 2021

I own seven of these and several of the other honourable mentions you posted about. I'm such a sheep. :o 

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don't see the need for Nintendo to rush out a new console. Same goes for a new version of Mario Kart.

Yes, absolutely. It's incredible. There really is no need to move on from Switch any time soon. It might be cool if they do a DLC expansion for Mario Kart... I'd certainly consider making it the first DLC I buy. :laughing: I'm totally fine with them keeping MK9 on the back burner for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The hybrid just keeps going from strength to strength. Seeing as the sales are still stupidly strong, I don't see the need for Nintendo to rush out a new console. Same goes for a new version of Mario Kart.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you.

At this stage I don't see the need for a true Switch successor just yet considering that the Switch is probably going to end this financial year with 23+ million units sold, and let's not forget that in part that's reduced in part due to the chip shortage. I don't think it's crazy to imagine it doing some 20+ million units in the next financial year, either, and until it truly starts that downwards curve towards bottoming out, I just don't see why they'd chop the legs off the Switch from a business perspective. From a consumer and development perspective I think there's still a growing need for a more able console, so I'd gladly take a Pro model this year or next year and see a Switch 2 in 2024 or 2025. Mainly because I don't want any issues in forests in BotW2 :p

As well as the PS4 has done, the announcement of the PS5 completely killed it's momentum dead in its tracks. It wouldn't have been surprising if it slowed down, but it felt like it straight up stopped, to the point that it looks like it'll find it impossible to make it to 120 million units sold, despite it seeming like a lock-in just a couple of years ago.

I like seeing big numbers (even if it's to the benefit of massive companies I have no vested interest in), so I hope Nintendo are a bit smarter about how they handle the Switch's successor. 

As for Mario Kart, I honestly don't know what to expect next. They've had so much time that it could be absolutely massive in scale at launch, or they could scale it back and have seasonal updates, or even go the route of microtransactions. I'd prefer the former, naturally, but they seriously could go wherever they want next. I still find it barmy that they didn't try to boost their books a bit by dropping an expansion to be honest.

It's out there, somewhere, just in a slow cooker :D

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

PS4 will easily be surpassed. I still think it will take the crown from the PS2 as well.

Yeah, PS4 will probably be surpassed by the end of 2022 I reckon, and I find it hard to disagree with you over it surpassing the PS2. Which would be bonkers. The launch aligned graph definitely shows that its on the right track:

FKqGZMmX0AIFvhM?format=jpg&name=large

Sell some 5 million units by the end of March to round off this FY at 108 million units sold, another 20 million or so in FY23, probably somewhere between 15 - 20 million in both FY24 and FY25, and then the slowed but consistent trickle of sales after the Switch successor launches. 

The only thing which could stop it I think are Nintendo themselves. 

20 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Do they do combined Wii U + Switch numbers for other games?

No they don't, just thought it was an interesting stat so thought I'd throw it in there :p

Animal Crossing is on track to outsell multi platform juggernaut Red Dead Redemption 2 within the next few quarters - utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Would be nice if BOTW could make it to the 30 million mark before the sequel comes out (entirely possible even if BOTW 2 comes out at the end of 2022), to see a Zelda game hit those sorts of numbers would crazy.

Edited by killthenet
  • Like 1

The software numbers are utterly ridiculous. It's even more impressive because outside of MK8 and Smash Ultimate, I don't consider any of those games to be even close to the best their respective series has to offer.

That Switch Effect is a powerful force. It can pretty much sell anything!

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Unsurprisingly, doesn't sound like Switch 2 is a thing any time soon.

Yeah, I'd say probably 2024 or 2025, and I'm still half expecting some kind of beefed up model at some point (chip shortage permitting) if that is going to be the case.

The Switch being halfway into its life can still be true without us waiting until 2027 for a Switch successor, they'll just continue to manufacture and sell it at a discount once the successor is released for a few years.

I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot a bit if we got one by the end of next year, seeing as they'll probably sell another 20 million Switch consoles in the next financial year. 

This from the earnings call unsurprisingly makes it sound like the next device will be backwards compatible and a continuation of what they've done with the Switch:

28 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Animal Crossing is on track to outsell multi platform juggernaut Red Dead Redemption 2 within the next few quarters - utterly, utterly ridiculous.

Would be nice if BOTW could make it to the 30 million mark before the sequel comes out (entirely possible even if BOTW 2 comes out at the end of 2022), to see a Zelda game hit those sorts of numbers would crazy.

Yeah, that's absolutely nuts. The numbers are insane as is, but stepping back and gaining some perspective on their software sales compared with the rest of the industry just shows how truly bonkers-good their games are selling. 

BotW making it past the 30 million mark would be insane too, but I agree with you that it's not impossible that it happens this year. I'd have to imagine once we start seeing more of BotW2 that we see a bump in sales for the first game.

Ideally for it to pass 30 million in 2022 I guess you'd probably want BotW2 next March so that it doesn't end up getting kicked to the curb during the Christmas period, but it's still totally possible. And naturally I hope that doesn't happen, I want BotW2 yesterday :laughing:

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The software numbers are utterly ridiculous. It's even more impressive because outside of MK8 and Smash Ultimate, I don't consider any of those games to be even close to the best their respective series has to offer.

That Switch Effect is a powerful force. It can pretty much sell anything!

It's funny you say that, because in a lot of other entertainment-focused industries, quality very rarely directly translates to great financial performance, such as in the film industry, where everything to break the $1 billion box office mark feeds heavily on CGI and action set-pieces. High quality output seems to be much more consistently recognised and, as such, rewarded in the gaming industry across all genres, I suppose in part down to the interactivity of the medium compared with the products from those other industries, but it's interesting to think about nonetheless!