NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

12 million for Ring Fit is insane, deserves it though. Really clever idea.

MK8D becoming the best selling Nintendo game of all time is just a matter of well, time.

It blows my mind that they could be at 110 million Switches sold by the end of March. Only Nintendo, as a company, can go from the Wii U... to outselling the PS4.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Only Nintendo, as a company, can go from the Wii U... to outselling the PS4.

Nintendo being the only company to release the Wii U means they have the advantage of being the only company able to go from the Wii U to anything really 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Nintendo being the only company to release the Wii U means they have the advantage of being the only company able to go from the Wii U to anything really 😋

Hey now, Sega also had the opportunity to go from the Sega Saturn to "anything" as well.

:(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Only Nintendo, as a company, can go from the Wii U... to outselling the PS4.

Well, from the Wii U and 3DS. You can't just ignore the larger chunk of Nintendo's console sales prior to the Switch.

The 3DS released before the Wii U, and isn't a console, but I didn't mean it to be a watertight statement anyway. Just crazy how much they bounced back from one of their biggest failures to one of their biggest successes.

I don't think they'll reach the goal of 24 million Switches before March. There isn't really any system sellers on the horison, except perhaps Pokémon Legends Arceus.

There's a LOT to unpack with these numbers.  But needless to say, I think it's very possible that Switch will manage to outsell the original GB/GBC when all is said and done (DS is impossible though).

One thing that really surprised me though is this chart (lovingly stolen from the Install Base forums)...

2021-11-04-8-57-26.jpg

Switch is far behind the Wii in the US, but it's being offset by its success in Japan (and in Europe Switch is just barely squeaking out ahead of the Wii).  Very interesting to see how Switch is underperforming in the US relative to its success in other regions (that's not to say it isn't still a huge success in the US, it's just well behind in comparison to the other regions).

Also Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has finally outsold Mario Kart Wii without the original Wii U MK8 SKU; making it the undisputed king of the Mario Kart series now (and it's still going!).  The Evil has finally been defeated :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The 3DS released before the Wii U, and isn't a console

What do you think it is if not a console? A butterfly?

The 3DS is a games console and the Switch is its successor (as well as also being the Wii U's successor). 

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

I don't think they'll reach the goal of 24 million Switches before March. There isn't really any system sellers on the horison, except perhaps Pokémon Legends Arceus.

It's entirely possible that it will fall just short (20 to 22 million maybe), but there are remakes of the Pokémon Diamond and Pearl out in just two weeks too, and mainline Pokémon is always a system seller. Mainline Pokémon games releasing two months apart like this has never happened before, one being remakes of the fourth best-selling pair of Pokémon games and the other one being much closer to an open world Pokémon game than we've seen before, releasing in consecutive quarters, and not to mention the fact that they're bookending the Black Friday and Christmas period, where the majority of console sales go down anyways? 

I think they'll be fine. I'd argue the second half of their last financial year only had two massive games too, neither of which were ever going to do Pokémon numbers when it comes to software, being Age of Calamity and 3D World + Bowser's Fury.

It's worth remembering too that these projected sales are almost always low balling things so that they can turn around to investors and say they outdid themselves. Will be an interesting one to watch for sure! 

Edited by Julius

Nintendo being the only company to release the Wii U means they have the advantage of being the only company able to go from the Wii U to anything really

Also to qualify for what he's saying you'd first of all have to release a home console close to the level of failure as the Wii U, which out of the 3 still going only Nintendo have done...

Good job you added "home" console in there, otherwise the Vita (lol) would say hi. :laughing::laughing:

Also, some weird post deleting going on here?

Edited by Ronnie

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Good job you added "home" console in there, otherwise the Vita (lol) would say hi. :laughing::laughing:

Your posts are getting deleted intentionally. There's nothing weird about it. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Your posts are getting deleted intentionally. There's nothing weird about it. 

They're not mutually exclusive.

"What do you think it is if not a console? A butterfly?" or Sheikah's usual console warring, is acceptable but ":blank:" is worthy of deletion, ok.

Edited by Ronnie

So what you're saying is if we delete "home" then Sony have in fact done what you claimed nobody else could do?

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:
13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

So what you're saying is if we delete "home" then Sony have in fact done what you claimed nobody else could do?

Sony didn't transition from the Vita to the PS4. Nintendo did go from the Wii U to the Switch.

Sony didn't transition from the Vita to the PS4. Nintendo did go from the Wii U to the Switch.

But then your general point (from what I can tell) is that only Nintendo can go from a colossal failure to such a success with a home console. And my point was that we will never know that, it's a meaningless boast, because only Nintendo (out of the current 3) have had such a disaster of a home console to follow up from.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They're not mutually exclusive.

"What do you think it is if not a console? A butterfly?" or Sheikah's usual console warring, is acceptable but ":blank:" is worthy of deletion, ok.

They were not deleted by me I will point out. 

But in this case you're doing your thing of semantic gymnastics to try and defend a perceived slight of Nintendo that you just can't let stand. You know full well the situation with the switch is unique because Nintendo combined their home and portable consoles for the first time. 

Nobody is denying Nintendo has done very well with the Switch. You made a statement and if you wish to stick to it that's fine, but if people then comment upon it you need to put more work into it otherwise you just come across as someone with an axe to grind. 

2 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

But then your general point (from what I can tell) is that only Nintendo can go from a colossal failure to such a success with a home console. And my point was that we will never know that, it's a meaningless boast, because only Nintendo (out of the current 3) have had such a disaster of a home console to follow up from.

This is an interesting point. As far as I remember, Nintendo are the only ones that have ever had a flop on the scale of the WiiU and still stayed in the console making business.

Sega are the primo example for what normally happens when a console mega flops.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I'm not boasting. Not everything is a console war. I made a casual and uncontroversial post about Nintendo being up and down, that's all.

Yeah the other manufacturers have all had set backs/poor launches (PS3/Xbox One) but managed to come back and still do well within that generation. The Wii U never managed to turn around (and nor did the GameCube really but I think it did a bit better).

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

But in this case you're doing your thing of semantic gymnastics to try and defend a perceived slight of Nintendo that you just can't let stand.

You're accusing me of semantic gymnastics? What perceived slight? What can't I let stand? What am I defending? I suggested how crazy it was they as a company are so up and down, simple.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm not boasting. Not everything is a console war. I made a casual and uncontroversial post about Nintendo being up and down, that's all.

"Not everything is a console war" from the same guy who earlier said "only Nintendo could...".

I can't tell if you genuinely can't see it or if you're being intentionally obtuse. 

(This post will do as my response to your previous question btw)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was more the fact that you were ignoring the 3DS to make your point seem more grand then it actually was.

Switch doesn't have dedicated portable sales backing it up. So it's not quite the same situation as the WiiU.

Just now, Ashley said:

"Not everything is a console war" from the same guy who earlier said "only Nintendo could...".

I can't tell if you genuinely can't see it or if you're being intentionally obtuse. 

instead of cherrypicking the three words "only Nintendo could" why not mention the context of the quote. You know, where I brought up the company's biggest failure in a thread about the predictable Switch high sales.

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was more the fact that you were ignoring the 3DS to make your point seem more grand then it actually was.

Switch doesn't have dedicated portable sales backing it up. So it's not quite the same situation as the WiiU.

I didn't spend the day researching and drawing up a watertight foolproof post. All I said was Nintendo went from a huge failure to a huge success. It wasn't meant to be nitpicked and analysed as much as it is. But sure, the 3DS (which released before the Wii U) adds a bit more nuance to the situation, of course. They're still a very up and down company, which comes with trying to innovate all the time I guess.

Edited by Ronnie