NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Common sense won't get you far in the real world. 

Yes typically you would but that doesn't mean that statement can't also mean 3 years because you're choosing to use whole numbers rather than fractions. 

Anyway, I think that phrase really meant "it's not going to be out soon" more than anything else. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Common sense won't get you far in the real world. 

I think it would but ok.

And I would hope that the president of Nintendo of America has a bit more common sense than some random person off the street who wouldn't know to round up by 2 months instead of round down by nine.

1) I didn't say the president of Nintendo had no common sense

2) it's not "common sense" to round up, it's common practice

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24. 09. 2021. at 9:54 PM, Kounan said:

Thx, now I can answer the guy :D

And I've got the game. A bit late to the party, I know :D.

Nintendo also said they wanted the GameCube to last longer than a normal lifecycle and also denied the DS Lite (or was it 3DS XL?) literally days before announcing it so their statements are about as believable as those 1 megapixel UFO videos I find on YouTube in the early hours of the morning. 

The Gamecube sold 20 million units, I'm sure they wanted it to last much longer, but reality set in.

And product launches are planned months in advance, of course they were going to deny it prior to that.

I'm not saying trust them 100% on their statements about longer lifespans but it's something to keep in mind at least.

Anyone else planning on getting the GTA Remaster? I'm looking forward to replaying Vice City. Actually, I never completed it xD, but I had a lot of fun with it a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

Anyone else planning on getting the GTA Remaster? I'm looking forward to replaying Vice City. Actually, I never completed it xD, but I had a lot of fun with it a long time ago.

There is a thread for it by the way:

Have you been avoiding the Metroid Dread thread for fear of spoilers? Well, here's something that's almost entirely spoiler-free:

Metroid Dread  - The N-Europe Review

content-2-36571-metroiddreadsidebox.jpg

The only spoiler here is a very small part of the opening sequence. By reading this review, you will be more informed of the game's overall quality, without spoiling yourself of the game's more curious contents. It's practically magic! So feel free to read it during your free time: I promise the robots won't attack while you're doing so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Stumbled across this new release and it looks incredible - Like if Monkey Target, Pilotwings and the gliding levels from Spyro had a baby. To top it off it has a City Pop soundtrack! I've added it to my wish list and will pick it up soon, I'm just too swamped in games atm to justify another purchase!

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 3

Today's the 10 year anniversary of the very first Nintendo Direct! 

Leave it to Nintendo to change how an entire industry does things, whilst simultaneously setting fans on fire or having a company present stare thoughtfully at some fruit.

nintendo-directs.jpg?resize=1000,562&ssl

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

whilst simultaneously setting fans on fire

I'd appreciate it if they stopped that to be honest

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I'd appreciate it if they stopped that to be honest

Well, they better stop asking to localise Mother 3 then.

• Haha 1

Has it really been 10 years since the Non-specific Action Figure? Man, what a wild decade.

• Haha 1

It's still my favourite rendition of Call Me Maybe. God I was so hyped about the Wii U back then that I was genuinely so excited to get Wii Karaoke U.

It was great fun to be honest, hundreds, maybe even thousands(?) of songs on that service. Nintendo definitely doesn't feel the same since Iwata left but arguably have much more output and third party support. It was like a monkeys paw trade off to lose all personality in favour of great sales and lots of software. Obviously the latter is better but still, what I wouldn't do for more Non-specific Action Figure and Miiverse in my life. And that kick ass internet browser with the cosy red curtains! And Tokyo Mirage Sessions! Man, they barely appealed to anyone back then but fuck did they appeal to me. 

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Really leaning hard on Lara being a psychotic murderer in that promo image.

• Haha 3

Nikkei are reporting that Nintendo will be making 20% fewer Switch consoles due to the current chip shortage through to the end of the fiscal year in March. 

Nintendo will only be able to produce about 24 million units of its popular Switch game console in the fiscal year through March, 20% below an original plan, Nikkei has learned.

Its production has been held up by shortages of semiconductors and other electronic parts amid strong demand for Switch, including for its latest version released on Oct. 8.

Nintendo's trouble is a reminder of the far-reaching impact of the global supply crunch that has affected a wide range of industries from autos to electronics to machinery.

Not exactly the news I imagine they want coming out just days ahead of the next quarterly report and Investors Meeting, so I would have to imagine that we'll be hearing more about this there.

But it's not like 24 million isn't a pretty crazy number anyways, and it should more than comfortably cruise by the 100 million mark after the holiday period.

Edited by Julius

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

but it's not like 24 million isn't a crazy number anyways

Yeah, it's like oh no, they'll only be able to sell another 24 million units in the space of 12 months, five years after launch, the horror! 

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah, it's like oh no, they'll only be able to sell another 24 million units in the space of 12 months, five years after launch, the horror! 

crying-money.gif

• Haha 1

Nintendo's Q2 2021 earnings report is out, which covers the period from 1st July 2021 - 30th September 2021. 

The Big Takeaways

- 3.83 million units sold this quarter between the Switch (3.14 million units sold) and Switch Lite (6.8 million units sold), bringing the total for the midway point of this financial year up to 8.28 million units sold. This brings the overall lifetime tally for the Nintendo Switch to 92.87 million units sold. 

- as reported earlier this week, the projected number of Switch consoles to be sold for this financial year ending in March 2022 is now 24 million units. This is due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, which has seen Nintendo reduce their sales forecast from 25.5 million. 

- worth noting, the Nintendo Switch passed the lifetime sales of the PS3 last quarter, when lifetime sales were at 89.04 million units sold, compared with the approx. 87 million units sold for the PS3. The next console in its sights is the Wii, which it will likely surpass over the holiday season, standing at 101.63 million units sold. 

- in game sales news, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has finally overtaken Mario Kart Wii, with lifetime sales of 38.74 million units sold compared with its Wii counterpart's 37.38 million units sold. This makes it the best-selling Mario Kart title to date, and the third best-selling title in Nintendo history, behind Super Mario Bros. (approx. 40.24 million units sold) and Wii Sports (approx. 82.9 million units sold). It will more than likely have sailed by Super Mario Bros. by the end of the year. 

- Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield are within touching distance of becoming the second best-selling pair of Pokémon games, with 22.64 million units sold to date, just behind Pokémon Gold/Pokémon Silver at 23.1 million units sold. It will likely claim that second spot by the end of the year. 

- Ring Fit Adventure has sold 12.21 million units to date, which leaves it within touching distance of Splatoon 2, which is at 12.68 million units sold. Who would've thought that was on the cards when it first launched? 

- when it comes to titles that launched this year, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury unsurprisingly leads the way with 7.45 million units sold. It is followed by The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD at 3.6 million units sold (which made its debut this last quarter), New Pokémon Snap at 2.19 million units sold, Mario Golf: Super Rush at 1.94 million units sold, and Miitopia at 1.37 million units sold. 

Top 10 Best-selling Switch Games as of 31st October 2021

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 38.74 million

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 34.85 million

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 25.71 million

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 24.13 million

5. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield - 22.64 million

6. Super Mario Odyssey - 21.95 million

7. Super Mario Party - 16.48 million

8. Pokémon: Let's Go Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go Eevee! - 13.83 million

9. Splatoon 2 - 12.68 million

10. Ring Fit Adventure - 12.21 million

Edited by Julius