NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

As unlikely as it is, Game Boy and Game Boy Colour games on Switch would be pretty great! And as even more unlikely as it is, Pokemon RBY/GSC being included would be even more great. But yeah I think for Pokemon, if they bring ever Gen 1+2 to Switch at all, it will be a separate thing. Hopefully with online trading/battles/home compatibility included.

4 hours ago, Ike said:

VGC also claim there's going to be a Direct this month, so I figured it must just be that time of year again where people make fairly obvious "leaks".

"Also according to our sources, several spooky-themed activities will reportedly take place across the country at the tail end of October, as well as some Christmas-related events throughout all of December."

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Ike said:

VGC also claim there's going to be a Direct this month

Nintendo putting out a general Direct for the past five years in September might have tipped them off 

• Haha 2

The first price cut to the base Switch model has arrived, over four and a half years after release.

Down to £259.99 / €299.99. 

E_J6X71WQAQeNYn?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now do the games!

Joking aside, I wonder if we'll get a "Switch Selects" kind of thing at some point. 

• Haha 1

20 quid, they're spoiling us.

This is more about making it still a relevant option when there's an OLED model available.

21 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

20 quid, they're spoiling us.

This is more about making it still a relevant option when there's an OLED model available.

Pretty much.

Like it or not, the Switch is still flying off the shelves. It'd be silly to do a Gamecube style price slash when it still sells so well.

Even though it’s a small EU-only price drop that is related to a favourable currency exchange? It’s still significant to see this price drop actually happen.

We’re finally coming to the end stage of the Switch’s lifecycle if Nintendo are finally willing to do a price drop (More than 4.5 years after release!!).  I suspect that Nintendo will discontinue the current model soon after Xmas and keep just Switch Lite and Switch OLED going.

Then at E3 2022, we’ll finally get confirmation of Switch 2 and a call for 3rd party developers to start porting their games over; with a formal unveil of the console & its launch window lineup later that year (probably September 2022), and a release in March 2023 (1 year, 5 months after the release of Switch OLED and 6 years after the Switch’s original release).

Splatoon 3 and Pokémon Legends Arceus will be their big games of 2022; while BOTW2 will get a full unveil at E3 2022.  Flanked by a couple of smaller titles (ALA Advance Wars Reboot Camp or Wario Ware GIT - My money’s on a new Rhythm Heaven game; going by the myriad of wink-wink-nudge-nudge cameos seen in Wario Ware GIT), probably another Kirby title and something like Tomodachi Life 3, add on the start of Switch’s Nintendo Selects line and that’ll keep Switch trucking along nicely for the rest of the year.

BOTW2 will be a cross-gen launch title releasing in March 2023 (just like the original).  Switch 2’s launch window will consist of Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Mario Kart 9, Xenoblade 3 and Next Level Games’ next title; with 3D Mario and Pokémon Let’s Go Johto capping off Xmas 2023.

Edited by Dcubed

50 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pretty much.

Like it or not, the Switch is still flying off the shelves. It'd be silly to do a Gamecube style price slash when it still sells so well.

I don't want a GameCube style price drop, but I do want a GameCube style handle. Best Nintendo console feature. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

BOTW2 will be a cross-gen launch title releasing in March 2023 (just like the original).  Switch 2’s launch window will consist of Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Mario Kart 9, Xenoblade 3 and Next Level Games’ next title; with 3D Mario and Pokémon Let’s Go Johto capping off Xmas 2023.

You mean Mario Kart 10: :heh:

Sorry to remind you of MK Tour, I know how much you hate it. :hehe:
It's actually improved quite a bit since the horizontal mode update. :woops:

But yeah, that would certainly be an impressive launch line-up for Switch 2. :cool:

• Haha 1

A new system update, 13.0.0, has been released for the Switch. Adds Bluetooth support for headphones (although microphones are not support so no voice chat over Bluetooth), and it limits the number of connected controllers to 2.

It also adds the option to update the LAN port of the Switch OLED via firmware. It also adds an option to download in sleep mode over LAN. Not sure if this also works when using an adapter or only with the integrated LAN port on the OLED.

Further, the system now shows if you are on a wifi 2.4 or 5.0GHz connection.

Curious to test out the Bluetooth headphone option, if it's any good or lags like mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Holy fuck!! Actual features!? BLUETOOTH HEADPHONE SUPPORT!?!? 

Fucking FINALLY!! Only took them almost 5 years to enable what should’ve been there from day 1!

Just gave it a try… Doesn’t seem to support Bluetooth APTx unfortunately, so it is kinda laggy.

Quality is alright, nothing exceptional; pretty much your bog standard Bluetooth audio.

Seems to work pretty seamlessly, which is nice.  It gracefully handles connecting and disconnecting like you would expect from a modern device (and it falls back on the Switch’s speakers/TV speakers without any issues when you turn off the Bluetooth headset).

I wouldn’t recommend using Bluetooth with rhythm games or fast paced action games, as the lag will probably annoy you and mess up your gameplay (I gave it a try with Project Diva Megamix, which was No Bueno), but otherwise? Yeah, it’ll do in a pinch.  Nice feature, well implemented.  Only took them almost 5 years to do it! But at least it’s finally here.

Come to think of it… I wonder if Switch OLED might actually have APTx support… I can’t imagine that Nintendo put out this update for anything other than to prepare for Switch OLED; so I wouldn’t be too surprised if it had a better wireless (WIFI/Bluetooth) module than the current model; maybe even Bluetooth 5.0 support… If that's the case, Switch OLED might actually be worth upgrading to after all!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Yup.  It's standard Bluetooth only.  No APTx support.  Hopefully Switch OLED (and indeed Switch 2) comes with APTx support...

Edit: After a bit of experimenting, it looks like the audio quality drops when you start using wireless controllers... I noticed a significant drop in audio quality when removing the Joycons from the Switch and using them seperately...

Edit 2:  Seems that the drop in quality kicks in when two controllers are connected. It seems to maintain the full audio quality when using just one controller (i.e a single Joycon or a Pro Controller); but two controllers are just too much for the available bandwidth, and the audio quality gets sacrificed in response.

So it seems that the Switch dynamically adjusts the Bluetooth audio bandwidth in accordance with how you use seperate controllers.  Very interesting!

Edited by Dcubed

In light of that and the earlier comment that it only supports up to 2 controllers does that mean two pairs of Joy-Con won't work with it. Just out of curiosity. 

3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

In light of that and the earlier comment that it only supports up to 2 controllers does that mean two pairs of Joy-Con won't work with it. Just out of curiosity. 

No. Two pairs of Joycons will not work when using Bluetooth audio (each Joycon requires its own BT connection; so two pairs of Joycons would be 4x BT connections).  The console simply won't allow you to connect any more controllers (a message pops up on the screen saying that a max of 2 wireless controllers can be connected while using BT audio).

You can use two Pro Controllers wirelessly or two individual Joycons disconnected from the Switch.  If you want to use more controllers alongside BT audio? They must be wired connections.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Anyone here wondering what the "Update Dock" option in Settings is all about?

It's exclusive to the Switch OLED dock; you can't update the standard one (I've already tried lol).  Can't imagine that it would be anything major, but maybe it'll end up getting some extra blinky lights or improved HDMI CECH support (I never use that though because it's garbage lol).

• Thanks 1

Don’t forget to do the pointless update controllers thing everyone! :heh: 

Seriously, what does that actually do? Be good if it magically fixed Joy-Con drift. :laughing:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:
It's standard Bluetooth only.  No APTx support.

What a monkey paw wish.

On 15/09/2021 at 1:41 PM, Glen-i said:

Anyone here wondering what the "Update Dock" option in Settings is all about?

I’m sure I read it was for the Switch OLED model because it has the Ethernet adapter built in. So it’s probably for that. 

Is Diablo 3 Eternal Collection (with Ganondorf armor set) worth about 25 pounds (it is a second hand game)? I will not get it much cheaper here.

1 hour ago, Kounan said:

Is Diablo 3 Eternal Collection (with Ganondorf armor set) worth about 25 pounds (it is a second hand game)? I will not get it much cheaper here.

Yes, you probably won't get it much cheaper than that, especially for a physical game.

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Yes, you probably won't get it much cheaper than that, especially for a physical game.

Thx, now I can answer the guy :D