NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Two sets of fans who spend way too much money collecting things just for the sake of it. Match made in heaven.

That roster is fucking quality! Holy crapola! :o 

Ludosity (Ittle Dew, Slap Fight) is making this too!?

You mean that this game… might actually be good!?

Edited by Dcubed

Whoever's idea it was to sidestep the thorny issue of beating up infants by making Reptar the Rugrats representation needs a raise! It's really clever!

But yeah, shockingly quality roster, a developer that has some actual experience with Smash clones and an art style that actually looks somewhat consistent? PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale may just have yet another game making it look like a complete joke!

Cautiously optimistic about this one.

Edited by Glen-i

That roster is sacrilegious until we see some Avatar representation. 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952f656d8805b677e48a

(someone better post the That's rough buddy gif :p)

32 minutes ago, Julius said:

Then you'll like the fact that a silhouetted version of the box art pretty much confirms that at least 2 Avatar characters are in. (Aang and Korra, if I'm getting their names right)

It also confirms Ren & Stimpy and CatDog.

24 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Then you'll like the fact that a silhouetted version of the box art pretty much confirms that at least 2 Avatar characters are in. (Aang and Korra, if I'm getting their names right)

It also confirms Ren & Stimpy and CatDog.

Ah okay, good to know! Though, it still kind of hurts. Avatar might have the most characters suited for a Smash-like out of all of the Nickelodeon IP's, and a massive variety of potential movesets that could come with that too, so going with the two main characters we've seen on-screen so far is a little lame ::shrug: Sokka and his boomerang? Appa (tbf his back could be a pretty cool stage as they fly around)? Uncle Iroh? Suki? 

Also, where the hell is Timmy Turner, and the Crimson Chin?! Really surprised they go with Danny Fenton from Danny Phantom when Timmy from Fairly Oddparents is probably the better known character from Butch Hartman's works. Guess it's probably just a case of a less complex moveset and animations for Danny than Timmy. 

Edited by Julius

15 minutes ago, Julius said:

Ah okay, good to know! Though, it still kind of hurts. Avatar might have the most characters suited for a Smash-like out of all of the Nickelodeon IP's, and a massive variety of potential movesets that could come with that too, so going with the two main characters we've seen on-screen so far is a little lame ::shrug: Sokka and his boomerang? Appa (tbf his back could be a pretty cool stage as they fly around)? Uncle Iroh? Suki? 

I mean, that's kinda similar to the same problem Smash has. It'd be weird if the main characters didn't get in. Of course, there's always exceptions (Min Min, Pyra, Reptar in this game), but generally, the main character has to be a priority, even if it is a bit boring.

Still, because of the characters not shown in the trailer, but are on the box art, there's a real possibility that this game is hiding a few more characters (unlockables or DLC).

Of course, this doesn't matter if the game is not good. Which is the problem with Cartoon Network's attempt at this. So if this is decent, that's a win in my books.

So, to expand a bit more on my thoughts... The roster just screams "passion project". Toast Man? Nigel "The Meme" Thornberry (when his show already has a Tarzan boy)? Reptar as the cleverest choice? Those are inspired picks for sure. The one that baffled me the most was Helga. The protagonist of "Hey Arnold" has a head shaped like a Rugby ball, by all means, cult series or not, he's marketable enough if you wanted someone from that show... but Helga? I have to assume she's the childhood crush of one of the developers or something.

Now, if we are going to see Avatar characters, that's something special. Aang and Korra sound like they have the same powers on paper, but their approach is very different. Aang has a lot of speed and aerial movement (think Pit or Meta-Knight), while Korra is a lot more aggressive and punchy (think Captain Falcon or Terry Bogard). I imagine they're saving a big trailer for those two. Plus, they'd be crazy not to include Zuko (calling it now, he'll be DLC).

8 hours ago, Julius said:

Also, where the hell is Timmy Turner, and the Crimson Chin?! Really surprised they go with Danny Fenton from Danny Phantom when Timmy from Fairly Oddparents is probably the better known character from Butch Hartman's works. Guess it's probably just a case of a less complex moveset and animations for Danny than Timmy. 

Jeez, it hasn't even been a day, and people are already talking about characters taking up slots...

I don't know 90% of that roster, and I don't care for 99% of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Jeez, it hasn't even been a day, and people are already talking about characters taking up slots...

Comes with the territory of being a Smash-like with popular IP's people grew up on :p 

It's less being concerned about the slots being taken up though, and more just genuine surprise. I'm sure Timmy Turner will turn up at some point, but it surprises me because Fairly Oddparents always seemed to be the more popular property of the two by some margin, that's all. It'd be like getting Fox McCloud but not Link in Smash Bros. 

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

Now, if we are going to see Avatar characters, that's something special. Aang and Korra sound like they have the same powers on paper, but their approach is very different. Aang has a lot of speed and aerial movement (think Pit or Meta-Knight), while Korra is a lot more aggressive and punchy (think Captain Falcon or Terry Bogard). I imagine they're saving a big trailer for those two. Plus, they'd be crazy not to include Zuko (calling it now, he'll be DLC).

I think they have to, they've thrown their weight behind the Avatarverse with their plans for Paramount+, it's a no-brainer (*flashbacks to how they treated Legend of Korra ensue*).

I'd be really curious to see how they incorporate the different elements, I'd love for it to be different stances for each, but we've seen them struggle to manage something like that even in dedicated games, so it'll probably just end up being attached to different specials I'd imagine. And yeah, agree with you on both fronts: Aang and Korra could be really unique from one another, and Zuko seems like a lock for DLC. Feel like they could do some awesome stuff with stages potentially too (Appa as a flying stage, Republic City...). And then there's the potential in track remixes too!

Trying to not get carried away with it, as obviously compared to Smash Bros. it doesn't have that massive backing, but I'm just hoping it's given the time and resources to live up to a fraction of the hype that something like this easily could. The fact that I completely forgot the Cartoon Network one even existed before @Glen-i mentioned it says it all, hope this doesn't just drop off the face of the planet a week after release. 

Edited by Julius

3 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The one that baffled me the most was Helga. The protagonist of "Hey Arnold" has a head shaped like a Rugby ball, by all means, cult series or not, he's marketable enough if you wanted someone from that show... but Helga? I have to assume she's the childhood crush of one of the developers or something.

I'm thinking that Helga might have been chosen over Arnold to bump up the amount of female characters in this game. That or someone on the development team suggested the idea that Helga would be more inclined to punch someone's face in. Which is right.

You're probably spot on about this being developed by at least some 90's Nick fans. There's some very deep cuts here and I've already seen an image showing that the SpongeBob characters reference a large amount of episodes from that show in their movesets.

Also, I swear Leonardo's spinning slash move is ripped straight from Turtles in Time. That might be a coincidence though.

Was never really into Nickelodeon. There was always something better on Cartoon Network. :p

Although I won't be buying it, this game is definitely great for fans of those shows though!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

Was never really into Nickelodeon. There was always something better on Cartoon Network. :p

Oh man, you're not alone there. I was always more of a Cartoon Network kid.

But they squandered their Smash Clone, so...

Some of us had to make do with BBC1, BBC2, ITV and S4C.

22 hours ago, Julius said:

This would be the only reason I’d get the game, love Avatar, there should be more games made of it. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Momo or bust!

36 minutes ago, bob said:

Truth. I used to watch Ren & Stimpy after 6pm on BBC 2 if I remember right.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Nice, I've accidentally tricked people into thinking my family had access to more channels when I was a kid!

Can anyone recommend any 3rd party docs?

Ones that aren't too expensive but also won't risk destroying my Switch in some way :p

Just realised the usb ports on mine are dead. I thought the USB Ethernet adapter I had was what was broken, but just realised my pro controller won't charge off the docs USB ports either. And remembered a while ago I tried to use a keyboard for chat in Monster Hunter that didn't work...again thought it was the keyboard :p

Suppose I could wait for the new dock coming with the OLED model but that will likely be over priced on its own. And will probably hold off getting a Switch OLED till BotW2 comes out as hoping they'll have a Zelda themed one to release with te game :)

@Mokong If your USB ports don't seem to be working on the dock, it might be worth disconnecting and reconnecting everything, though you probably have already, and if that doesn't work, try re-seating the Switch, as often I've had the USB ethernet adapter not work, or the charging cable not work, then after fiddling around with the connections, it's then fine again.

It's far from ideal, but I just think the Switch dock can be very temperamental, it's worth a try, and might save you from buying another dock.

The Switch can be odd when it comes to how the dock is powered on/off as well.

It might be worth persevering with the old dock, then maybe get the new dock when it's released, as it does look to be of better build quality.

I can't vouch for the quality/reliability of third-party docks, even though Nintendo's isn't great, I haven't heard of the official docks causing damage to the Switch at least.

• Like 1

Yeah I've messed with powering off disconnect everything, reseat connect turn on all in different orders, nothing worked :(

Not often that Nintendo actually respond to rumours and speculation; so you know that they really wanted to nip that report in the bud!

53 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Not often that Nintendo actually respond to rumours and speculation; so you know that they really wanted to nip that report in the bud!

Also read that it could have been due to profits and not disclosing the correct numbers to investors when it came to the OLED model. Apparently that could have left them in hot water if the profit margin was bigger and they didn’t say that. 

• Thanks 1