Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Psst, rumours swirling round the toilet bowl suggest that we’re getting

Flush overflow (Hide contents)

Mario & Rabbids 2

announced this E3...

You didn’t hear it from me ;) 

Predicted it on the podcast so won't be particularly surprised.. or excited :heh:

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

A game that pleases @nekunando? Is it one where the quicker you trade it in the better your score?

You get bonus points if you complete the trade-in transaction online before you have even received the game.

• Haha 3

Kingdom Come Deliverance has been announced for Switch. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out because it was terribly optimised for PC, PS4 and Xbox.

Also, it's pretty much unplayable without a mod they lets you save the game when you want to (you either have to travel to a bed or drink a magic potion).

Bad Nintendo.

Spoiler

They've done goofed ahead of Ubisoft's conference later today and put up the page on their official site for Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, releasing 2022. Will never be able to unsee a Star with a Rabbit's face. 

hero?v=2021061209

Team up with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Rabbid Peach, Rabbid Luigi, and their friends on a galactic journey to defeat a malevolent entity and save your Spark companions. Explore planets throughout the galaxy as you uncover mysterious secrets and compelling quests!

• Build your dream team with three heroes from an eclectic roster of nine.
• Take down all new bosses, along with some familiar enemies throughout the galaxy.
• Rescue the adorable Sparks throughout the galaxy, who provide distinct powers that will help you in battle.
• Unleash your heroes' skills but be strategic as you dash your enemies, team jump on your allies, and hide behind covers.

Seriously that Rabbid-faced Star is hurting my eyes!

Took the topic down as while it's out there in a very official capacity and is very real, it clearly wasn't intended to get out there just yet (even if we will find out relatively soon). Jumped the gun a bit as I thought it was an official announcement due to where it was coming from, but it's not, so yeah, didn't want to inadvertently spoil it for people looking to avoid that stuff. My bad. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Bad Nintendo.

E3 Spoils (Reveal hidden contents)

They've done goofed ahead of Ubisoft's conference later today and put up the page on their official site for Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, releasing 2022. Will never be able to unsee a Star with a Rabbit's face. 

hero?v=2021061209

Seriously that Rabbid-faced Star is hurting my eyes!

Took the topic down as while it's out there in a very official capacity and is very real, it clearly wasn't intended to get out there just yet (even if we will find out relatively soon). Jumped the gun a bit as I thought it was an official announcement due to where it was coming from, but it's not, so yeah, didn't want to inadvertently spoil it for people looking to avoid that stuff. My bad. 

Spoiler

Lovely stuff, even though it was pretty much expected at this point.

The first game was fantastic and I’ve no doubt in my mind that this will be a high quality sequel. It’s just a shame that it’s not releasing this year. :( 

• Like 1

Fantastic! Really looking forward to that. I wonder when it'll be properly revealed? 

Spoiler

Looking forward to it but I'm hoping there's going to be more than just 9 characters as that's how many the original had. Not looking for a load more but some new ones would be nice.

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:
  Silly Nintendo (Hide contents)

Looking forward to it but I'm hoping there's going to be more than just 9 characters as that's how many the original had. Not looking for a load more but some new ones would be nice.

Spoiler

Well, as it says so on the official site, I wouldn't expect more. I just hope Mario doesn't need to be in the team this time. Allows for much more interesting teams.

Spoiler

I hope there's a few unlockable that they wouldn't necessarily put on the site.

I can but hope.

Guess Nintendo decided to leak it themselves before the Ubisoft Toilet overflowed by itself :laughing:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Whelp! I think it’s safe to say that Nintendo won this year’s E3!

I think Sony is the real winner by distancing themselves from this years show. :p 

I do hope Nintendo bring the goods on Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure what people were expecting from this E3 given the 18 months we've just had. Xbox have a ton of games coming out (unlike Sony frankly, probably why they skipped E3) in the next twelve months.

I've been making a list of new game reveals from the various shows and it's already at over a dozen I'll definitely be picking up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Not sure what people were expecting from this E3 given the 18 months we've just had. Xbox have a ton of games coming out (unlike Sony frankly, probably why they skipped E3) in the next twelve months.

I've been making a list of new game reveals from the various shows and it's already at over a dozen I'll definitely be picking up.

Like you I have games I'm excited for from this E3 (mostly indies, actually), and while I get where you're coming from and do think expectations perhaps should have been lowered given the events of the last 12+ months, the fact that we didn't have an E3 last year meant that going into these past few days just wasn't going to be possible. I feel like there was a real hunger for a week of focused news and people genuinely excited to see good games. 

I think the wider issue is that while I get wanting to return to normalcy, all of these companies announced their own E3 events of their own accord: they didn't need to be here, and everyone could've pulled an EA and scheduled something for later in the summer (which is looking like a wise move now in hindsight) if they didn't want that pressure. Because, like it or not, having a show at E3 comes with the baggage of what we've seen at past E3's, some stronger than others sure, but it means you have something worthy of sharing in my eyes, and if you don't, either don't attend, or manage expectations ahead of time. We know not to expect a potential new Switch model on Tuesday during the Direct purely because Nintendo managed expectations, and to be fair I think they're really good at communicating with their audience (the Metroid Prime 4 delay video from Takahashi comes to mind). It takes balls to do that and not hide behind false pretences, it's one of the things I respect most about Nintendo. 

For example, we saw Starfield today for the first time in an official capacity in 3 years (!), and we saw startlingly little that would inform us about the game that we couldn't already try to guess at from the initial CG announcement in 2018. I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that their workflow, like everyone else's, has been impacted these last 12+ months, but even then, that's 2 years of potential development time since then, so it's tough to believe that's all they've got. Especially considering they went ahead and have a specific release date for late next year, I think it's difficult to appreciate the game being delayed but then giving it a hard date so far out when there is a huge potential for more delays in the next 18 months or so. This game didn't need to be here at all in my eyes and could easily have been saved for next year's E3, but Xbox clearly pushed for this in order to strengthen their show (I think it managed the opposite). 

I really don't know what to expect going into Tuesday, but Nintendo have more pressure on them than anyone else in my eyes, and they will know this. They do weird as hell things, but it's exactly that difficulty to predict what they'll do next that makes them so alluring as a developer, publisher, and platform holder. My fingers are crossed for a good show from them, as they have been for most of the other shows these last few days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

For example, we saw Starfield today for the first time in an official capacity in 3 years (!), and we saw startlingly little that would inform us about the game that we couldn't already try to guess at from the initial CG announcement in 2018. I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that their workflow, like everyone else's, has been impacted these last 12+ months, but even then, that's 2 years of potential development time since then, so it's tough to believe that's all they've got.

I dunno, the game is still a year and a half away, given that fact it's probably a good thing to hold back on gameplay until we get closer to release. We've heard from plenty of sources that creating an E3 demo takes a lot of time and effort, that could be better spent elsewhere. Plus publishers have seen all too often how gameplay footage is scrutinised and when something doesn't end up in the final game gamers cry foul and demand why not, or whine about downgraded puddles or steam etc. I'm not into CG trailers more often than not but I quite enjoyed them setting the tone in the Starfield trailer anyway.

I also don't think that publishers care if internet gamers feel it was a "good E3" or a bad one, they want to market their games and get people talking about them. Unless there's a major disaster like Halo Infinite last year, it's job done for the majority of cases. It's like the Switch January presentation, everyone was talking about how much of a disaster it was... and then the Switch became the fastest selling console ever.

I guess I went into this E3 with decent but lowered expectations, and it's pretty much met them. It's all too easy to get caught in the hype cycle with gaming, especially reading message boards, rumours from "insiders" etc.

As for Nintendo, again lowering expectations would be a good idea. They're focusing on games out in the next 6 months, there won't be many megatons. BOTW2 trailer (but quite easily not gameplay) + a new first party reveal for Q4 and that'd be a good foundation.

Edited by Ronnie

47 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I dunno, the game is still a year and a half away, given that fact it's probably a good thing to hold back on gameplay until we get closer to release. We've heard from plenty of sources that creating an E3 demo takes a lot of time and effort, that could be better spent elsewhere. Plus publishers have seen all too often how gameplay footage is scrutinised and when something doesn't end up in the final game gamers cry foul and demand why not, or whine about downgraded puddles or steam etc. I'm not into CG trailers more often than not but I quite enjoyed them setting the tone in the Starfield trailer anyway.

I've watched it back a couple of times since and while I do appreciate it setting the tone, I still think it sends out a confusing message about where the game is at in its production. According to Schreier it's currently pre-alpha, and it likely got hit by COVID like everything else did, yet we still have a firm release date for it nearly a year and a half away. That's either confidence to the point of hubris or sheer stupidity in that they're going to aim to launch then no matter the cost, such is silly because it puts completely unnecessary pressure on the developers. There's a massive potential for further delays due to COVID and working from home, and while I wish that team the best and hope they hit that date, they just have easily could've said Holiday 2022 and keep it vague. 

I guess it's because of how they did 11/11/11 for Skyrim and want to follow suit, but again, feel like that probably could've waited. 

I also don't think that publishers care if internet gamers feel it was a "good E3" or a bad one, they want to market their games and get people talking about them. Unless there's a major disaster like Halo Infinite last year, it's job done for the majority of cases.

I can only come at this from the perspective of a consumer, but I go into E3 wanting to come away with excitement for these publishers' games and a desire to play them. 

While publishers might get away with just turning up and phoning it in, a great presentation is just as powerful as a bad one. It's glorified marketing, and the whole point of turning up at E3 these days is to sell us on games directly, so I think any publishers phoning it in are missing out on potential sales if they have a poor showing. 

I think back to the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo at E3 2019, or Nintendo focusing almost entirely on Breath of the Wild at E3 2016: both were cases where the games were clearly presented, their mechanics shown off, and many came away with a reason to be confident about those games and a stronger desire to buy them. 

It's like the Switch January presentation, everyone was talking about how much of a disaster it was... and then the Switch became the fastest selling console ever.

Maybe I'm the only one then, but I genuinely loved that January Switch presentation. Opening up with how much it was going to cost around the world, telling us subscription-based online wasn't ready but a service was on its way, walking us through things like battery life, the Joy-Con, etc. It had a strong selection of games turn up, I think the weak link was probably third party ("Dragon Quest XI is still coming to Japan" felt pretty tone deaf when we were still waiting to hear about a western release), and that Breath of the Wild trailer that closed it is one of my favourite game trailers. 

I guess I went into this E3 with decent but lowered expectations, and it's pretty much met them. It's all too easy to get caught in the hype cycle with gaming, especially reading message boards, rumours from "insiders" etc.

As for Nintendo, again lowering expectations would be a good idea. They're focusing on games out in the next 6 months, there won't be many megatons. BOTW2 trailer (but quite easily not gameplay) + a new first party reveal for Q4 and that'd be a good foundation.

Oh yeah, it's definitely fair to go in with lowered expectations, but after a year off, I can't fault anyone for being excited going into this year's E3 and being disappointed by how it eventually panned out (at least so far). Again, the publishers knew expectations would be heightened, yet knowing this no-one tried to temper expectations except Nintendo, and that was purely because of rumours that could potentially impact their stock prices in a drastic way. 

I'm not expecting the world from Nintendo going into Tuesday, but their show was the one I was most excited for anyways. I'll gladly take a Breath of the Wild sequel trailer and title, but if it ends up aiming to be out by the end of this financial year, I wouldn't be shocked if it showed up for a short while at Treehouse. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've watched it back a couple of times since and while I do appreciate it setting the tone, I still think it sends out a confusing message about where the game is at in its production. According to Schreier it's currently pre-alpha, and it likely got hit by COVID like everything else did, yet we still have a firm release date for it nearly a year and a half away. That's either confidence to the point of hubris or sheer stupidity in that they're going to aim to launch then no matter the cost, such is silly because it puts completely unnecessary pressure on the developers. There's a massive potential for further delays due to COVID and working from home, and while I wish that team the best and hope they hit that date, they just have easily could've said Holiday 2022 and keep it vague. 

I guess I can't get too worked up over a Holiday 2022, or an exact date. I always thought people liked firm release dates to be announced. I'm sure they're confident enough, and if it gets delayed, add it to the pile with pretty much every other AAA game.

I also don't think that "insiders" claiming false information and actual leaks have done much for this E3's perception. Be it Mario + Rabbids, Horizon 4 and whatever else (I don't pay attention to them to know)

9 minutes ago, Julius said:

Maybe I'm the only one then, but I genuinely loved that January Switch presentation. Opening up with how much it was going to cost around the world, telling us subscription-based online wasn't ready but a service was on its way, walking us through things like battery life, the Joy-Con, etc. It had a strong selection of games turn up, I think the weak link was probably third party ("Dragon Quest XI is still coming to Japan" felt pretty tone deaf when we were still waiting to hear about a western release), and that Breath of the Wild trailer that closed it is one of my favourite game trailers. 

I was fine with it but the general sentiment online was definitely mostly disappointment due to lack of games. Which in hindsight is weird given what they showed. 

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh yeah, it's definitely fair to go in with lowered expectations, but after a year off, I can't fault anyone for being excited going into this year's E3 and being disappointed by how it eventually panned out (at least so far). Again, the publishers knew expectations would be heightened, yet knowing this no-one tried to temper expectations except Nintendo, and that was purely because of rumours that could potentially impact their stock prices in a drastic way. 

I'm not expecting the world from Nintendo going into Tuesday, but their show was the one I was most excited for anyways. I'll gladly take a Breath of the Wild sequel trailer and title, but if it ends up aiming to be out by the end of this financial year, I wouldn't be shocked if it showed up for a short while at Treehouse. 

Fingers crossed!

Most E3's recently, I basically mostly care about the Nintendo and Devolver conference. If something else happens to surprise me in a good way, great!

But even so, when @Dcubed sent me a WhatsApp message saying "Final Fantasy 1-6" I got super hyped, only for that feeling to be immediately dashed by him having to send me a message shortly after saying "Steam/Mobile only"

It's so incredibly tone deaf! And as more details about that came to light, it got worse. (Individual purchases, graphics look like FFIV throughout, which implies that FFVI will still look worse then the SNES original!)

And then you end on a tonal dissonant Final Fantasy spin off so incredibly edgy that it makes Shadow the Hedgehog look poignant? All while FF XVI, Square's biggest upcoming title, gets relegated to a 3 second clip in a montage? Might as well not have bothered.

Edited by Glen-i

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Might as well not have bothered.

I think this should have been the generally message for most publishers this year. :D 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Most E3's recently, I basically mostly care about the Nintendo and Devolver conference. If something else happens to surprise me in a good way, great!

This is pretty much how I feel about recent E3's as well. And with Devolver, it's not really about the games anymore, just seeing what crazy trip they're on this year.

Nintendo is the only presentation with fresh and interesting games (for the most part), and they usually deliver trailers in a masterful way. Remember the Zelda BotW trailer from 2017? One of the best trailers I've seen. So I still have high hopes for this years direct, even though the current situation will most likely affect it quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Nintendo is the only presentation with fresh and interesting games (for the most part), and they usually deliver trailers in a masterful way

This probably belongs in the E3 memories thread but Nintendo's collaboration with Robot Chicken in 2014 was amazing. That was my favourite "conference" ever, so fun and creative. It was the year we were first shown amiibo, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Breath of the Wild (the animated background behind Aonuma turning into a teaser trailer) and Yoshi's Woolly World.

nintendo_preview_e3_2017_01.gif

tumblr_n6zlc3piPz1qfwheqo4_250.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julius said:

I think back to the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo at E3 2019, or Nintendo focusing almost entirely on Breath of the Wild at E3 2016: both were cases where the games were clearly presented, their mechanics shown off, and many came away with a reason to be confident about those games and a stronger desire to buy them. 

I agree completely! While it may take a while to put together an E3 demo, these games were fantastic examples of how to get positive promotion for your games, from both the media & public.

Both games had a lot of expectations riding on them, BotW especially with it’s emphasis on updating the Zelda gameplay, and it worked to win people over & get a hugely positive buzz around it.

• Like 1

Nintendo's 2021:

January: *umm*
February: Bravely Default II, Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
March: Monster Hunter Rise
April: New Pokemon Snap
May: *cough*
June: Game Builder Garage, Mario Golf Super Rush
July: Skyward Sword HD, Monster Hunter Stories 2
August: No More Heroes 3
September: WarioWare: Get It Together!
October: Metroid Dread, Mario Party Superstars
November: Pokemon BD/SP, Shin Megami Tensei V, Age of Calamity Expansion
December: Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp

2022:
Breath of the Wild sequel
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Splatoon 3
Pokemon Legends Arceus

Who the fuck knows:
Metroid Prime 4
Bayonetta 3

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 4

For 2021, Metroid Dread and Advance Wars are for sure. The rest - well, I hope there are great indies coming.

2022, not Splatoon 3 but Mario + Rabbids and BotW2 are going to be awesome.