NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

On 03/06/2021 at 9:52 PM, Julius said:

One of the supposed leakers that broke the news of a Pro announcement being pre-E3 now has reason to be unsure about that actually being the case: 

It's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out in the end. If it is coming and aiming for the end of this year, you'd imagine production would be starting soon, so the later a reveal is pushed back the higher the risk will be of details leaking. And you'd imagine third parties might want to share details of any games they have in store for it sooner rather than later. 

But it's Nintendo. No idea what they have up their sleeves :p

Craig David should do us a song about Julius, 7 days, check it out...

Posted some rumours on Monday,
Got them predicting stuff on Tuesday,
We were salivating on Wednesday
And on Thursday I was open and honest and transparent and quashed it. 

Well, it was just four days in the end. :peace: 

• Haha 2

On the trophy topic I really hope Nintendo will add them at some point. They’re one of my favourite things on the other consoles and I love collecting them. I don’t really play a ton of stuff on those consoles though so my collections are small and unimpressive. If Nintendo had them then I could show of my geek credentials with full sets for tons of games that I’ve spent hours working on. For me it’s one of the key things that Nintendo is missing.

• Like 3

On 05/06/2021 at 9:17 AM, Will said:

On the trophy topic I really hope Nintendo will add them at some point. They’re one of my favourite things on the other consoles and I love collecting them. I don’t really play a ton of stuff on those consoles though so my collections are small and unimpressive. If Nintendo had them then I could show of my geek credentials with full sets for tons of games that I’ve spent hours working on. For me it’s one of the key things that Nintendo is missing.

They can add so much playability to games too with specific or hard tasks tied to trophies! I have wanted this for a long time but I don't see it happening any time soon, I'm sure Nintendo has some explanation as to why they don't believe trophies belong in games. 

I was thinking that I need a thread to dump thoughts on random games. But i'll post here for now.

I just finished reviewing DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power and I want to say that it's actually a decent game for the target audience. It got a lot of hate when it was announced in the last Direct but having played a good portion of it, I can say that I actually had a decent time with it. The story is trash (Lex Luthor wants to rebuild the slum areas of Metropolis and wants teenagers to design the new area - wtf? The game is two-parted: civilian and superhero. You cannot change between those at will, which is a shame. As civilian, you run around, taking photos and helping people. The tasks are quite varied, though eventually become a bit repetitive. The superhero stuff is about smashing robots with a simple combo system. Y for attack, A for dodge (why not B??), and X, R, ZR for special attacks. Dodge perfectly and get the chance to do a counter attack. The fights are ranked based on how you do within certain criteria. They too become a bit stale but they aren't bad. The fights would have been perfect for co-op though, such a shame that it's single player only.

Overall, the game suits its audience quite well and is not a bad game for the audience. I did enjoy playing the game to some extend but I wish I could just be more superhero throughout the game.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I was thinking that I need a thread to dump thoughts on random games. But i'll post here for now.

Yeah, I guess if there aren't any bustling threads and you don't think the games warrant it, this will have to do.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was just looking at this DC Super Hero Girls game yesterday wondering if there could be anything to it but I guess not. :laughing: 

36 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was just looking at this DC Super Hero Girls game yesterday wondering if there could be anything to it but I guess not. :laughing: 

Well, I have been mildly entertained by it generally, even as a male adult who has never seen the show. I wish I could have played as the hero version of the girls more as I didn't enjoy all that extra about shopping and social media, but the sub-missions are actually not bad and there is a ranking system on the fights, where it is actually quite hard to get 3+ stars on the first try (but you can return to them with upgraded characters, making it easier). 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Still no word on the Switch Pro then?

No.

I'm not even convinced it'll show up at Ninty's E3 presentation next week.

With how many times it's been hinted at by outside "sources". I'm just assuming it's not happening. If it does, great! If not, well, it's par for the course at this point.

19 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Hard to keep up to date with that particular rumour mill but I think the latest conspiracy has it that the recent Switch update (botched then unbotched) comes with some kind of deeply embedded coding that will speed up the planned obsolescence of current Switch models, ensuring a swift uptake of the "Pro" when it hits retail. :eek::o 

:indeed: 

35 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Just like the Switch Lite, the 2DS, the 3DS XL and the New 3DS it'll be revealed just after E3. Insiders seemingly got it wrong.

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just like the Switch Lite, the 2DS, the 3DS XL and the New 3DS it'll be revealed just after E3. Insiders seemingly got it wrong.

And Nintendo wouldn't be one for bucking trends would they. :woops:

• Haha 1

There will be no news for a few months, then someone will buy a Switch from Tesco and post a picture online asking why theirs looks different to their friends' Switch, because they had bought the new revision.  

50 minutes ago, Cube said:

There will be no news for a few months, then someone will buy a Switch from Tesco and post a picture online asking why theirs looks different to their friends' Switch, because they had bought the new revision.  

Worked well for Sega

You would think they would want to show the best possible footage though. Then again it's Nintendo. ::shrug:

There's no chance of them revealing it during the digital event, is there? Knowing Nintendo they'll put out a short reveal video tomorrow afternoon. 

I think if we don't see it on Thursday or Friday we won't hear about it at all during E3.

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

You would think they would want to show the best possible footage though. Then again it's Nintendo. ::shrug:

And alienate a 90 million install-base, by showing graphics running on a different device? That's why I still don't think they'll push the "look how powerful this device is" angle. It'll be all about the bigger screen, better battery life, and 4K, a couple of weeks/months after E3. They'll want to leave as short a reveal > release time frame as possible.

Edited by Ronnie

Just now, killthenet said:

There's no chance of them revealing it during the digital event, is there? Knowing Nintendo they'll put out a short reveal video tomorrow afternoon. 

I think if we don't see it on Thursday or Friday we won't hear about it at all during E3.

I mean, there's always a chance. But there's no hard evidence that it will. Just a bunch of people shouting that this time, it'll definitely happen.

But Nintendo have already advertised the E3 event as focusing on games coming up in 2021. So I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't show up.

They said the Direct will be 40 minutes "exclusively" on software. No wiggle room there.

Plus why reveal hardware and compete for attention when you can have another big press blowout at a later date.

They can show it in the Treehouse livestream, "Oh, by the way, this is the New Nintendo Switch Pro".

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

And alienate a 90 million install-base, by showing graphics running on a different device? That's why I still don't think they'll push the "look how powerful this device is" angle. It'll be all about the bigger screen, better battery life, and 4K, a couple of weeks/months after E3. They'll want to leave as short a reveal > release time frame as possible.

You do have a valid point, but the games will still run on the old model so they're not exactly alienated. I don't get what difference showing it at E3 or weeks/after would be, if they are alienating, it's still going to happen.

• Like 1

Most streams are 1080p. Combined with YouTube compression, you probably won't be able to see the likely minor differences in graphics between the two models anyway. I can't see much more than "upscaled 4k, frame rate improvements" happening.

Psst, rumours swirling round the toilet bowl suggest that we’re getting

Spoiler

Mario & Rabbids 2

announced this E3...

You didn’t hear it from me ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Also my Uncle at Nintendo reliably informed me that some (potentially plural) revivals of classic Nintendo IP that aren’t the usual big sellers are getting announced this E3... (before you ask, I don’t know which one/s exactly...

Spoiler

...but going by previous public comments made; I think it’s very possible that @nekunando might be pleased

That one you definitely didn’t hear from me!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

A game that pleases @nekunando? Is it one where the quicker you trade it in the better your score?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6