NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I should really play Jungle Beat at some point.

Only if you have the Gamecube version.

Otherwise, what's the point?

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Only if you have the Gamecube version.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I do and that’s why I’ve yet to play it. I can never be bothered to faff on with playing the game using the bongos. 

34 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I do and that’s why I’ve yet to play it. I can never be bothered to faff on with playing the game using the bongos. 

I have the game, I bought it on release, played it over a weekend, and have never played it since.

I get it though, if you haven't got a GameCube set up, then there's that, then there's getting the bongo controller out and getting used to the peripheral again...

Once it is all set up though, the game itself is great fun, from what I remember, and you could probably play it in an afternoon.

But when there are loads of other games which you could be playing almost instantly on other consoles, I can see why Donkey Kong Jungle Beat doesn't get played much. :peace:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I have the game, I bought it on release, played it over a weekend, and have never played it since.

I get it though, if you haven't got a GameCube set up, then there's that, then there's getting the bongo controller out and getting used to the peripheral again...

Once it is all set up though, the game itself is great fun, from what I remember, and you could probably play it in an afternoon.

But when there are loads of other games which you could be playing almost instantly on other consoles, I can see why Donkey Kong Jungle Beat doesn't get played much. :peace:

Pretty much spot on. Plus, the GC looks awful on a modern TV. I’ve been meaning to invest in something like the GCHD, which would certainly help me in terms of setting you the old Cube. Meh, one day....maybe. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh man... you have NO idea... DKJB is OUTSTANDING!! One of the best arcade score-attack games you'll ever play! :D 

It's almost like as if Yu Suzuki got high on drugs and made a platform game!  Absolutely bonkers fun!

9 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Pretty much spot on. Plus, the GC looks awful on a modern TV. I’ve been meaning to invest in something like the GCHD, which would certainly help me in terms of setting you the old Cube. Meh, one day....maybe. 

I have a GCN EON HDMI adapter and can vouch for it.  It's every bit as good as the official component cables (which I used to have) and goes a LONG way towards making the GCN look good on a modern display!

Alternatively though, if you have a Wii, you can always use the component cables on that for 480p output if your TV still supports anything other than HDMI (something that is sadly becoming uncommon these days).

Either way though? I would strongly recommend picking up the US NTSC version of most GCN games instead of the PAL version, because most US versions of GCN games support 480p output (something sadly removed from the PAL versions of these games in favour of a 60hz toggle).  You CAN actually get 480p out of a PAL GCN though, so long as it has the Digital Out port (which the EON HD Adapter also uses), if you use a Freeloader/Action Replay to play the US GCN game on it.

480p makes a huge difference on a HDTV over 480i and makes GCN games genuinely look good if your TV does a decent job with scaling 480p content :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I have a GCN EON HDMI adapter and can vouch for it.  It's every bit as good as the official component cables (which I used to have) and goes a LONG way towards making the GCN look good on a modern display!

I’ve hovered over the buy button for both that and the Kaico adapter numerous times now but I can never bring myself to pull the trigger. The same goes for the mClassic.

I think i've started to get the dreaded JoyCon drift!

• Sad 3

On 13. 05. 2021. at 11:40 AM, bob said:

I think i've started to get the dreaded JoyCon drift!

At least it is easy and cheap to fix.

On another note, yesterday I've bought Yoshi's Crafted World and Luigi's Mansion 3. 

• Like 1

@bob I think most joycon drift can be fixed by just giving the joycon a rub of a cloth with a cleaner. Your suppose to clean them sometimes.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 7:59 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

I should really play Jungle Beat at some point.

I have DK Barrel Blast for Wii. It's good... fine... decent enough? Well, the controls with the Wiimote and nunchuck get the job done, anyway. Never played Jungle Beat on GC or Wii as far as I remember. Not sure how rhythmic it is but it's meant to be a good, fun score-attack sort of game if memory serves.

I'm sure they'll get around to bringing games like these forward to Switch, eventually. :indeed: 

49 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I have DK Barrel Blast for Wii. It's good... fine... decent enough? Well, the controls with the Wiimote and nunchuck get the job done, anyway. Never played Jungle Beat on GC or Wii as far as I remember. Not sure how rhythmic it is but it's meant to be a good, fun score-attack sort of game if memory serves.

I'm sure they'll get around to bringing games like these forward to Switch, eventually. :indeed: 

DKJB isn't really a rhythm game, or particularily rhythmic per-say.  It's sort of like what would happen if Donkey Kong Country and Tony Hawks Pro Skater had a baby (Please don't picture that in your head).  It's entierly about busting tricks and chaining massive combos to earn sick scores across whiteknuckle 2D sidescrolling platforming levels.  And the sheer amount of milage & creativity they get out of what is essentially just three buttons (not even a d-pad!) is just incredible; it was absolutely, completely built around the DK Bongos, in the same way that Wii Sports was built around the Wii Remote .

The Wii version is basically an entierly different game, which was completely re-designed from scratch (different level design, completely different gameplay focus) and isn't even remotely the same experience as the sublime GCN original.  It's more of a standard 2D platformer on Wii, instead of the insane DKC & THPS hybrid that the GCN original was.

Edited by Dcubed

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

I have DK Barrel Blast for Wii. It's good... fine... decent enough? Well, the controls with the Wiimote and nunchuck get the job done, anyway. 

I’ve also played that. It was decent but not anything special.

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

DKJB isn't really a rhythm game, or particularily rhythmic per-say.  It's sort of like what would happen if Donkey Kong Country and Tony Hawks Pro Skater had a baby (Please don't picture that in your head).  It's entierly about busting tricks and chaining massive combos to earn sick scores across whiteknuckle 2D sidescrolling platforming levels.  And the sheer amount of milage & creativity they get out of what is essentially just three buttons (not even a d-pad!) is just incredible; it was absolutely, completely built around the DK Bongos, in the same way that Wii Sports was built around the Wii Remote .

The Wii version is basically an entierly different game, which was completely re-designed from scratch (different level design, completely different gameplay focus) and isn't even remotely the same experience as the sublime GCN original.  It's more of a standard 2D platformer on Wii, instead of the insane DKC & THPS hybrid that the GCN original was.

Sounds like I would probably prefer the Wii version of the game.

• Haha 2

On 13/05/2021 at 8:14 AM, Dcubed said:

Or that new Monsters game they haven’t shown since it was announced.

The livestream is 4:30 am so I won’t be watching it live.

Jeff Grubb said some stuff about Nintendo at E3. I'll stick it in a spoiler tag for those trying to avoid it, but it's not exactly unexpected. Also, let me know if no-one minds this stuff being out in the open and I'll stop doing this, but until then...it stays :p 

Spoiler

- pretty much 50/50 on the BotW sequel turning up, but leans towards it being there. If it isn't, he expects something in the weeks following E3. 

- should hear about their E3 plans this week, should be after Microsoft (who apparently have plans for the 13th) and Ubisoft (on the 12tg). No surprise there as Nintendo is the dessert of E3. 

- expects a lot of Zelda, and maybe even some Metroid. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Eh, as long as liberal usage of spoiler tags is taken up, I'm sure people don't mind.

• Like 1

Is it me or is the official Pokemon social media posting a lot of X/Y/Kalos related stuff lately? Incoming Switch port?

Edited by Sckewi

12 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

Is it me or is the official Pokemon social media posting a lot of X/Y/Kalos related stuff lately? Incoming Switch port?

I know about as much as you do, but I am very confident in what I'm about to say.

No.

The Pokémon Twitter account posts all sorts of stuff related to loads of different generations. It means nothing.

Need a Unova remake before Kalos. Or maybe they shouldn’t touch it and jump to Kalos, it’s perfect as it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Need a Unova remake before Kalos. Or maybe they shouldn’t touch it and jump to Kalos, it’s perfect as it is.

Honestly, if they just ported Black/White and Black2/White2 because they'd rather not risk messing them up, I wouldn't be upset.

Nintendo Co. plans to begin assembly of its new Switch as soon as July and release the upgraded replacement for its four-year-old game console in September or October, people familiar with the matter said.

The new console, likely to be priced higher than the $299 original, may be announced ahead of the E3 conference starting June 12 to allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are not yet public. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, with the standard Switch phased out over time.

Assemblers will start shipping the new model -- whose commercial name is known only to a handful of people within the Kyoto-based company -- as early as July and production is planned to ramp up to a peak in the October-December quarter. This is despite widespread semiconductor shortages that have affected the supply of everything from automobiles to TVs, headphones and games consoles, including the Switch itself.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Just announce the thing already.

One day I hope the press catch a spokesperson on their last day and they've just had enough. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

"Deferred announcement of joysticks can eventually be good, hastily announced joysticks are bad forever."

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They might of heard you.