NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

39 minutes ago, Julius said:

Total software units sales from the past fiscal year are 230.9 million, just under 40% of the console's lifetime software sales of 587.12 million.

Geez! That's crazy!

58 minutes ago, Julius said:

- 4.73 million units sold this quarter between the Switch and Switch Lite, with a total of 28.83 million units sold throughout the fiscal year, bringing the overall tally up to 84.59 million units sold to date for the Switch.

- Total software units sales from the past fiscal year are 230.9 million, just under 40% of the console's lifetime software sales of 587.12 million. 

- Nintendo has had broken their own record (set in FY2009 off the back of the Wii and the DS, when they recorded an operating profit of ¥555.26 billion) for highest operating profit in a fiscal year by a console manufacturer, with an operating profit in FY2021 of ¥640.63 billion. 

- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury sold 5.59 million units in its first six weeks since launch. 

- In just over a year since it launched, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has managed a figure of 32.63 million units sold. Good lord. 

- Ringfit Adventure has passed the 10 million units shipped mark, with 10.11 million units out in the wild, after shipping 1.43 million units in this last quarter, just missing out on a place in the top 10 list of best selling Switch titles.

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M

7. Super Mario Party - 14.79M

10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 10.44M

• Haha 1

Also found some graphs to look at:

2021-05-06-9-40-25.jpg

Ouch at that Wii drop-off.

I don't think we'll see anything like that with the Switch, considering there is no direct console hybrid competition like there was for the Wii and the Kinect/PlayStation Move, and back then their handhelds were clearly under threat from mobile gaming. 

But I think the Switch's performance in the next FY is kind of out of Nintendo's hands, so it would take a lot of optimism for me to say it hasn't peaked in fiscal year sales yet. Even if they manage to ship the Breath of the Wild sequel, the Pokémon Diamond & Pearl remakes, and Pokémon Legends Arceus by March 31st 2022, I think it's more a question of maintaining stock than anything else, because everyone's being hit by the chip shortage.

Then again, even with knowledge of the ongoing shortage, they're forecasting 25.5 million hardware units sold for the next year to their investors, and they've likely left space for that forecast to be bumped up every quarter (as we saw at this point last year - they were only forecasting 19 million hardware units sold for FY2021!), so they seem very confident that they won't be impacted, because we would have seen that factored into their projections otherwise. 

I think the takeaway here is obviously that the Nintendo ninjas caused the chip shortage :p

2021-05-06-9-39-23.jpg

Pretty crazy that it's still tracking just below the DS on there. I really have no idea where the Switch ends up when all is said and done a few years from now, 

2021-05-06-9-39-45.jpg

Their weakest quarter for hardware sales for this past fiscal year (this past quarter) was just below the hardware sales of their second best quarter of the previous year. Their next weakest quarter, thanks in large part to Animal Crossing: New Horizons, sold nearly triple the hardware units that they would normally sell at that time of year.

That's pretty insane! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mymy, insane numbers. :peace: 

Are the sales Switch and Switch Lite numbers combined?

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Are the sales Switch and Switch Lite numbers combined?

Yep, combined.

A breakdown of the 84.59 million sold is 69.89 million of those are Switch consoles, and the remaining 14.7 million are Switch Lites :smile:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. 

For me, a Switch Lite (Pro?) might become interesting again in two or three years. I'm already looking forward to sales numbers for the inevitable Switch revision :D 

The weird thing is the Wii was such a huge cultural thing and the Switch feels like it had less of a cultural impact but is obviously still doing as well. Plus the fact the Wii was about 1/3rd of the price of the Switch. 

Something else worth noting about today's report is that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold 10.6 million copies over the course of FY2021. 

For comparison, we learned Ghost of Tsushima had sold 6.5 million copies back in March, just under 9 months after release. By all accounts, the Mario Kart figure also seems to be higher than the sales of many other AAA titles released last year, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake. We haven't had an update on The Last of Us Part II for a good while now, so we can't compare there, but the fact that it's still going toe-to-toe with some of the biggest new exclusive releases just speaks to Nintendo's success in pumping out evergreen titles. It's pretty crazy! 

In terms of other titles still going strong released before last year, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million copies over the course of the last fiscal year, Breath of the Wild sold 4.86 million copies, Super Mario Party sold 4.69 million, Pokémon Sword & Shield sold 3.73 million, and Super Mario Odyssey sold 3.42 million. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

These sales are just monstrous!!

I think the biggest shocker for me though is 51 Worldwide Classics.  3.41 million for that game is just bonkers! It actually managed to outsell the DS original! (Which did 2.62 million I believe).  Absolutely nuts!

Just goes to show that not everything has to be a AAA HD mega budget game to succeed on Switch.  There is absolutely room for smaller scale titles and they can succeed in huge numbers :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

As expected, insane numbers. At this point I shouldn't be surprised but the software numbers still somehow manage to blow my mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

The weird thing is the Wii was such a huge cultural thing and the Switch feels like it had less of a cultural impact but is obviously still doing as well. Plus the fact the Wii was about 1/3rd of the price of the Switch. 

It felt like everyone and their grandmas had a Wi.

1 minute ago, Cube said:

It felt like everyone and their grandmas had a Wi.

tumblr_m61m9c4NGo1r8tm83o1_500.gifv

Who'd have thought Zelda would have such insanely long legs - almost 5 million copies sold in FY 2020! 

Seems like MK8 is going to be outpacing AC from here on in, it came so close to dethroning it but there's no stopping the juggernaut that is Mario Kart. 

Resetera spotted that these trademarks have been renewed in Europe.

Nl059h9.png

Very weird seeing as the second game never arrived over here. It would be amazing if Switch ports of both games were on the cards. No pun intended. It’s probably just a standard renewal though. :( 

*Presses play and lives in hope*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first Baten Kaitos is sooooo good. Way ahead of its time.

Hope for all those who have a Switch and have never played it that it'll get a port :peace:

If it does get re-released in some way, @Dcubed can't moan at me for putting off the Gamecube versions!

I want it to happen just so I can rub my accidental rightness in his face.

Man, they'd need to speed up the gameplay though. It is glacial in it's pace!

Edited by Glen-i

26 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

If it does get re-released in some way, @Dcubed can't moan at me for putting off the Gamecube versions!

I want it to happen just so I can run my accidental rightness in his face.

You may get your chance. Dude on Era who has been hinting at various Switch announcements has teased that there is something to this renewal. Gonna be interesting to see if this is the real deal.

Normally, I wouldn't advocate redoing a game's audio (whether it be to change soundtrack, sound effects, or voice acting)... But if they do rerelease Baten Kaitos, I hope to God they redo the voice work. It's not just the weird muffled quality, the direction itself is strange, with a weirdly slow cadence (as if they were trying to match lip-flaps that obviously don't exist), or stressing the wrong part of the sentence.

Leave the soundtrack alone though, it's easily among the best on the Gamecube.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

It's not slow at all, and you'll learn that if you ever play it. The animations look lengthy when you watch it from afar, but since you're still making decisions as they play out, you may even find yourself wishing they were longer.

In fact, there's a character whose animations are super quick. I'll be very surprised if you enjoy using her.

1 minute ago, Jonnas said:

Normally, I wouldn't advocate redoing a game's audio (whether it be to change soundtrack, sound effects, or voice acting)... But if they do rerelease Baten Kaitos, I hope to God they redo the voice work. It's not just the weird muffled quality, the direction itself is strange, with a weirdly slow cadence (as if they were trying to match lip-flaps that obviously don't exist), or stressing the wrong part of the sentence.

Leave the soundtrack alone though, it's easily among the best on the Gamecube.

It's not slow at all, and you'll learn that if you ever play it. The animations look lengthy when you watch it from afar, but since you're still making decisions as they play out, you may even find yourself wishing they were longer.

In fact, there's a character whose animations are super quick. I'll be very surprised if you enjoy using her.

I have played a bit of it, got to the fourth character. ("This is for you!") and kinda got distracted by other stuff.

I thought it was really slow.

Just now, Glen-i said:

I have played a bit of it, got to the fourth character. ("This is for you!") and kinda got distracted by other stuff.

I thought it was really slow.

Well, what a twist of fate. Fair enough if so... but you didn't reach the character I was talking about yet, and now I'm curious if she would've fit your pace.

I had to mute Baiten Kaitos cause of the voice acting. Annoying as shit. Once in a while my wife will still randomly shout ‘FIIIIIRE BUUURST’. 

Otherwise a great game though. Was the prequel as good.?

Edited by LazyBoy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

I hate to mute Baiten Kaitos cause of the voice acting. Annoying as shit. Once in a while my wife will still randomly shout ‘FIIIIIRE BUUURST’. 

It’s supposed to better than the original. I’ve had it sat on my shelf for 14 years but never got around to playing it. :blush:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

I hate to mute Baiten Kaitos cause of the voice acting. Annoying as shit. Once in a while my wife will still randomly shout ‘FIIIIIRE BUUURST’. 

See, I think it's so bad that it wraps around to being funny!

LIIIIGHT FLAAARE!

• Haha 1