NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

Wow, they actually got around to adding stuff to it nearly two and a half years after release

Looks like it's just an update to the game's online functions. No new content...

• Like 1

Cracking update to the game and one that was much needed. Being able to play the meat of the game online is a big win. However, the game was a slideshow when playing online with 4 players and if they haven't done anything to address this then this will all be for nothing. :( 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

However, the game was a slideshow when playing online with 4 players and if they haven't done anything to address this then this will all be for nothing. :( 

But apparently you can invite your friends now. In a Nintendo game.

This timeline is truly something special.

• Haha 1

I'd be more enthusiastic if it wasn't for the fact that the Joy-Con's awful control sticks has made this game effectively unplayable.

Edited by Glen-i

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Looks like it's just an update to the game's online functions. No new content...

Bah, looks like you're right, I got ahead of myself. The wording of the translation I was reading made it seem like it was adding a lot. My interest has tempered, but looks like it's being received positively at least! 

Still, cool that it got an update now, and so far out from release too. Gives me hope that Nintendo do the obvious thing (which probably means they won't) and get some new content to other games of theirs with large install bases, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe; nearly 35 million copies out in the wild, sell a nice package of stuff for £15 a pop, even if they hit only a fraction of the player base with it they'd be absolutely raking it in. Especially depending on how badly some games have been hit by COVID, it's an easier way to keep your fans happy. 

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

But apparently you can invite your friends now. In a Nintendo game.

This timeline is truly something special.

tenor.gif

• Haha 3

I don't believe they only added online play now, it is the sort of game that would need online play to sell, these days.😩

5 hours ago, euroninfan said:

I don't believe they only added online play now, it is the sort of game that would need online play to sell, these days.😩

Well, that's not really true. Super Mario Party sold plenty of copies without online play.

45 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, that's not really true. Super Mario Party sold plenty of copies without online play.

@Glen-i well I was sending some friend requests and I noticed how some many people had just bought the game, i saw this in there played list of games. I will be adding it to mine soon, aswell. Look forward to it really.

Nice to see this now has an online mode.

It's not enough to save the game for me personally, I sold my copy of it recently, but this is a decent (if unexpected) update to the game either way. :smile:

Edited by S.C.G

11 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Nice to see this now has an online mode.

It's not enough to save the game for me personally, I sold my copy of it recently, but this is a decent (if unexpected) update to the game either way. :smile:

I sold it recently for the sole purpose of not being able to play locally because of lockdown. I was half considering getting it again when lockdown is over and this is tempting me even more. It's just a shame there is a lack of boards, people complain about them but I think the actual boards, while smaller than usual, are fine. It's purely the fact that there are so few to choose from.

Still, I just think it's crazy that a game that hasn't had an update before gets a full online update out of the blue years after release. You really can never predict Nintendo. That's also the reason why I think we won't get a Nintendo Switch Online Nintendo 64, it's too logical :laughing:

I just thought that the game was lacking in so many ways, plus I tend not to play games which force the use of joy-cons.

If I was in a situation where a local-multiplayer game was going to be played, and that game had to be a Mario Party title, I'd probably just play Mario Party 1, 2 or 3. :smile:

Nintendo could re-release those on a cart as a compilation, or make N64 games available as part of Nintendo Switch Online, and they'd probably do pretty well, though N64 games as part of the NSO service, would probably be a bit on the generous side for Nintendo, when they know that they can make more by re-releasing compilations.

Heck, why not a Super Mario 3D All-Stars style compilation, with the best Mario Party game from the N64, GC and Wii era? That'd be Mario Party 2, 4 and 9... right? ;)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Heck, why not a Super Mario 3D All-Stars style compilation, with the best Mario Party game from the N64, GC and Wii era? That'd be Mario Party 2, 4 and 9... right? ;)

Nope, that's 3, 6 and 9.

Best Mario Parties are always the ones that are multiples of 3, @Dcubed will back me up on that.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

According to Nikkei, Nintendo are set to increase their production of Switch units to 30 million for this fiscal year (ending March 2022, not to be confused with the fiscal year that finished just over a month ago at the end of March). 

TOKYO -- Nintendo will ramp up output of the Switch to about 30 million units this fiscal year, Nikkei has learned, marking an all-time high for the flagship gaming device in a bid to capitalize on continuing stay-at-home demand.

The Kyoto-based company approached multiple parts suppliers about accelerating production. People with direct knowledge of the matter verified plans to expand output.

Nintendo is taking an unusual step for a device that is already in its fifth year of existence. The strategy will have to contend with a number of new rival offerings that have appeared in the last year.

In addition, Nintendo will release a follow-up Switch model capable of better graphics. This will be the first such offering since the 2019 release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.

In the previous fiscal year through March 31, stay-at-home demand brought about by the pandemic fueled blockbuster sales of the social game "Animal Crossing: New Horizons" and the new "Monster Hunter" title.

Nintendo appears to have broken a new consolidated profit record in fiscal 2020. Such an earnings report would echo the results from fiscal 2007, when the company released its two hit devices the Wii and the DS.

• Thanks 1

I wish they would just announce the Pro model. At this point it’s one of the worst kept secrets in the industry.

In terms of sales, it’s crazy they’ve achieved the level they have without a price cut. Thursday’s numbers are going to insane, aren’t they? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I can see the record held by the PS2 finally being toppled.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wish they would just announce the Pro model. At this point it’s one of the worst kept secrets in the industry.

In terms of sales, it’s crazy they’ve achieved the level they have without a price cut. Thursday’s numbers are going to insane, aren’t they? I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I can see the record held by the PS2 finally being toppled.

Yeah, I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing those numbers on Thursday!

I have to agree with you that it's got to be in with a shot of reaching the heights of the DS and PS2 at this point, and I think that's why the timing of the Pro model could be so important to them. If they were to release a Pro model with the Breath of the Wild sequel (which would make the most sense), but if you were to combine that with a potential price cut of the original and Lite models, which like you mentioned somehow they've gone without up to this point, then I think it'd just get even crazier. Not that they need to, and I could see them sticking to their guns a while longer, but the original Switch model I think seems just beyond what I would consider pricing for an impulse buy, so the fact that there's clearly still potential to do even better is almost impossible to believe. 

I'm seriously considering buying a Pro model just for the Breath of the Wild sequel to make sure I get the best experience with it, and this is as someone who admittedly doesn't play their Switch nearly enough. It makes me curious about if it would see better sales numbers than we saw with the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm seriously considering buying a Pro model just for the Breath of the Wild sequel to make sure I get the best experience with it, and this is as someone who admittedly doesn't play their Switch nearly enough. It makes me curious about if it would see better sales numbers than we saw with the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X? 

I’d pick one up just so Xenoblade 2 doesn’t look like garbage anymore. :D Hopefully it will give a boost to older games.

I wonder if they will announce it at E3? I’m quite looking forward to their showing this year. Last year was a quiet one for them and so I’m hoping they have something substantial to show this year. A Pro model, as well as the rumoured new entries in DK and Metroid series, would certainly make for a decent showing.

• Like 1

I just want a Joycon THAT FUCKING WORKS!!!!!!

That and I want my proper DS stylus and Wii Remote IR pointer back!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I’d pick one up just so Xenoblade 2 doesn’t look like garbage anymore. :D Hopefully it will give a boost to older games.

I wonder if they will announce it at E3? I’m quite looking forward to their showing this year. Last year was a quiet one for them and so I’m hoping they have something substantial to show this year. A Pro model, as well as the rumoured new entries in DK and Metroid series, would certainly make for a decent showing.

Based on the footage we saw of Legends Arceus, I think we're hoping this is a miracle machine :laughing: and for sure, a certain forested area in Breath of the Wild would benefit immensely from a performance boost! But yeah, I'd hope Xenoblade Chronicles 2 performs better, selfishly as I still have to play that game! Bit of a bummer grabbing a physical version of Torna looks to have become a bit of a nightmare in recent months with its resale price only going up now it seemingly isn't being printed anymore, guess I should've jumped on it earlier. 

I'm curious to see where they announce the Pro too, E3 feels like the logical place but it's Nintendo, which means it could also easily be announced pretty out of the blue a month or two later like the Lite was. Then again, that wasn't providing what we all assume to be a pretty noticeable boost this time around with the Pro, and if we're going to be seeing more of the Breath of the Wild sequel, why wouldn't you show gameplay off for the first time on your most powerful version of the console? 

Right..? :blank:

• Thanks 1

Nintendo's FY3/Q4 2021 earnings report is out, covering the period of 1st January 2021 - 31st March 2021. It's an extra special one as it's their End of Year earnings release!

The Big Takeaways

- 4.73 million units sold this quarter between the Switch and Switch Lite, with a total of 28.83 million units sold throughout the fiscal year, bringing the overall tally up to 84.59 million units sold to date for the Switch.

- Total software units sales from the past fiscal year are 230.9 million, just under 40% of the console's lifetime software sales of 587.12 million. 

- Off the back of this, Nintendo is forecasting sales of 25.5 million Switch consoles for the next fiscal year, FY2022, ending 31st March 2022. They are also forecasting a decline in both revenue and profit over the course of the next year when compared to the last year, likely due to the positive impact of the COVID-19 stay at home period on sales, and not expecting an Animal Crossing: New Horizons-sized hit. 

- These sales have has seen it sail by the official sales figures of the Game Boy Advance family (81.51 million units sold) and the estimated sales figures of the PSP (80 - 82 million units sold). The Xbox 360's sales are a bit tougher to nail down, as some cite it as being a pretty nebulous 84+ million, whereas Statista cites it as being 85.8 million. Going with the latter figure, the Switch has entered the list of top 10 best-selling consoles of all time for the first time, sitting tight at number 9. Next on its hit list would be the Xbox 360 and then the PS3 (reported as being more than 87.4 million units sold) - which it will likely surpass by the end of this quarter - and after that is Nintendo's own best-selling dedicated home console, the Wii (101.63 million units sold). 

- Nintendo has had broken their own record (set in FY2009 off the back of the Wii and the DS, when they recorded an operating profit of ¥555.26 billion) for highest operating profit in a fiscal year by a console manufacturer, with an operating profit in FY2021 of ¥640.63 billion. 

- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury sold 5.59 million units in its first six weeks since launch. This means that it nearly outsold the Wii U release of the game (5.89 million units sold) in that timeframe, and has more than likely surpassed it in the month or so since March 31st. 

- In just over a year since it launched, Animal Crossing: New Horizons has managed a figure of 32.63 million units sold. Good lord. 

- Ringfit Adventure has passed the 10 million units shipped mark, with 10.11 million units out in the wild, after shipping 1.43 million units in this last quarter, just missing out on a place in the top 10 list of best selling Switch titles.

- Super Mario 3D All-Stars has sold 9.01 million units since its release in September, up less than 1 million units over the course of this quarter.

Top 10 Best-selling Switch Games as of 31st March 2021

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 32.63M

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 23.84M

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 22.28M

5. Pokémon Sword/Pokémon Shield - 21.10M

6. Super Mario Odyssey - 20.83M

7. Super Mario Party - 14.79M

8. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!/Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! - 13.28M

9. Splatoon 2 - 12.21M

10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 10.44M

Edited by Julius