NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 hours ago, Sckewi said:

Can't miss out on the latest Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Smash

They won't make any of these exclusive to a Switch Pro. Enhanced, maybe, but not exclusive.

4 hours ago, MindFreak said:

They won't make any of these exclusive to a Switch Pro. Enhanced, maybe, but not exclusive.

I imagine this will be the case for 1st party titles until around 2023 or so, at which point the new system will become the baseline model going forward.

From what we know, this is a huge increase in power, essentially going from a console much weaker than the XBO / PS4 to a system much more capable than both. In fact, it's probably going to be closer to the One X / PS4 Pro.

Fully expecting plenty of 3rd party titles to come to it that won't run on the OG. Would love to see Red Dead 2 and Resident Evil 8.

17 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

From what we know, this is a huge increase in power, essentially going from a console much weaker than the XBO / PS4 to a system much more capable than both. In fact, it's probably going to be closer to the One X / PS4 Pro.

Really? I've not read anything about a huge increase in power.

I can't see how you can fit a One X in the Switch's form factor. I'm expecting marginally better than a PS4, if that.

23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really? I've not read anything about a huge increase in power.

I can't see how you can fit a One X in the Switch's form factor. I'm expecting marginally better than a PS4, if that.

From the Bloomberg reports and other reports around what chipset they'll be using (which come from reliable insiders such as NateDrake over at Era), then we know it's a big increase.

The performance of any console is ultimately dependent on three things: CPU (framerates, AI), RAM (textures, loading, although the latter is more complicated) and GPU (graphical effects, resolution). Last gen home consoles had very weak CPU's because of the technology available at the time. The available chipsets available for the Switch 2 / Pro should easily outperform Xbox One X / PS4 Pro CPU's and by some margin. The raw GPU power will be closer to XBO / PS4 but DLSS means is a gamechanger and should allow for 4K resolution pretty easily. The huge CPU and DLSS GPU buffs should mean that ports of games from last gen consoles should run at least as well as they did on Xbox One X, if not better :)

It's best not to think of this as a 'Pro' but instead an iterative upgrade. A game like Zelda might run at 30 FPS / 720p-900 docked on the OG Switch, but 60 FPS x 4K should be possible thanks to DLSS technology (which is exclusive to Nvidia btw).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough. I guess I'm just keeping expectations in check. Nintendo haven't chased graphics power for ages, and they've sold 90 million units in 4 years without it. DLSS is exciting for sure but I'm not expecting One X performance just like that. Unless Nintendo are shifting strategy. 

DLSS is very big advantage in Nintendo’s favour here; and it’s very possible for Nintendo to release a hybrid console/handheld version of Switch this year that can outperform PS4 Pro & XboneX...

... but of course, Nintendo have to want that... which is ultimately the biggest factor in play here.  The tech is there, but Nintendo need to want it and be willing to pay for it.  And that’s definitely not something I’d be so gung-ho about betting money on...

Edited by Dcubed

I'm sure Nintendo is quite keen on the technology. 

For their console releasing in 2031. 

🥁

• Haha 4

Looks like Nintendo are getting back to their 2019 cadence of a big exclusive every month:

February: Bravely Default II, SM3DW + Bowser's Fury
March: Monster Hunter Rise
April: New Pokemon Snap
May: Famicom Detective Club
June: Mario Golf Super Rush
July: Skyward Sword HD
August: No More Heroes 3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Looks like Nintendo are getting back to their 2019 cadence of a big exclusive every month:

I generally agree with you, but Famicom Detective Club is defo not what I'd say is a big exclusive.

I mean, it's neat it's finally getting an English translation, but I don't expect it to light the Switch on fire, saleswise.

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I generally agree with you, but Famicom Detective Club is defo not what I'd say is a big exclusive.

I mean, it's neat it's finally getting an English translation, but I don't expect it to light the Switch on fire, saleswise.

Yeah fair enough, I was reaching with that one !

On 29/03/2021 at 11:52 AM, Ronnie said:

@Ronniethat is some really good news, any mention of the new metroid game ?:grin:

Edited by euroninfan

18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah fair enough, I was reaching with that one !

Come on now, a visual novel that barely anyone in the West is aware of named after a console that's not been sold for 25 years, and when it was went by a different name, is going to do amazing numbers 😉

• Haha 6

Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse 

content-2-36475-stubbsthezombiesidebox.jpg

N-Europe Review  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How is Metroid Fusion the most recent game? Three Prime games and Other M have released since then...

Just now, Eddage said:

How is Metroid Fusion the most recent game? Three Prime games and Other M have released since then...

In the story is what they mean. The Primes and Other M take place before the events in Fusion.

But it's definitely a misleading way of putting it. The last fully original Metroid title was Other M, and we got one remake and one spin-off since then. If we're highlighting how inactive the series is, we really should go by release, not lore.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

In the story is what they mean. The Primes and Other M take place before the events in Fusion.

But it's definitely a misleading way of putting it. The last fully original Metroid title was Other M, and we got one remake and one spin-off since then. If we're highlighting how inactive the series is, we really should go by release, not lore.

I did think they might have meant timeline, but as you said that is an extremely misleading way to make the situation look way worse than it really is. 

It's like saying before The Force Awakens came out it was 11,680 days since the most recent film in the Star Wars story, which is ridiculous (even as much as people might like to pretend the prequels don't exist).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

is anyone playing Aeolis tournament online, i tried to get a online game going for 2 hours but no one showed up. i do not understand why theses games have online play but there is never anyone playing them ?

• Sad 1

Metroid fans are such massive whiners. Oh, boo hoo, you didn't like Other M or Federation Force? So what? At least you're still getting releases. They have some serious entitlement issues and a delusion that Metroid is as big as the likes of Mario and Zelda. (Spoiler alert: it isn't)

Come back when your series is as dead as F-Zero or Golden Sun, then you might get some sympathy.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Come back when your series is as dead as F-Zero or Golden Sun, then you might get some sympathy.

Thanks for that, my day started so well...
and now it's ruined. RUINED. :(

• Thanks 1

Started playing Good Job! for another co-op game and it's great fun. Reminds me quite a bit of Moving Out.

Definitely seems like an overlooked release, saw it in a lost of recommended coop games and thought I'd give it a try.

Platinum's April Fools joke from last year is no longer a joke!

Awesome! I bet they'd make a great shmup! :D 

Sounds like they'll be making more retro arcade style games going forward too! Double Awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22. 03. 2021. at 12:35 AM, Kounan said:

I have the same problem. The good thing is that it's easy and cheap to fix. I fixed the analog sticks on my joycon and procontroller already, so it is not a huge problem.

For the problem was that ti get the aprts my sister, who is in London, had to order it and then send it to me (I am still waiting for it to arrivel).

But I do agree about the quality of it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Something that just happened to me. I have finally got the replacement flex cable for the side buttons and wanted to replace it. But ehen I started unscrewing the screw, one was so damaged that it just can't go out. I was about to break the thing, but then I decided to look at the flex cable inside. As it did not look damaged, I just flexed it on a different place so it can fit in and suddenly all the buttons worked. So I have just put the screws back and for now it works. Maybe it will help someone. This is literally 5min work.

Edited by Kounan
  • Like 2

On 01/04/2021 at 2:02 AM, euroninfan said:

is anyone playing Aeolis tournament online, i tried to get a online game going for 2 hours but no one showed up. i do not understand why theses games have online play but there is never anyone playing them ?

Have you had any joy with matchmaking since posting? This is the first time I've heard of Aeolis Tournament but I see there is a demo so I think I'll put it on the list of things to try.

I was bored and considered actually getting a switch. looked at the games list. Looked at the games I have for my Wii U. Decided against it!

On the pro front...

Original switch was home console+handheld in one.

Switch Lite = handheld only

Could the switch pro be a home console only? effectively working like a gameboy upgrade (the newer console accepts old carts, but the new carts only fit in the new console?)

Then when tech is cheaper /able to be made more portable, release a hybrid

Then when its cheaper still, release the handheld lite version again?

I understand the arguments against it, but it would allow Nintendo to put something out there closer to the competition while tech becomes cheap and effective enough to create the more portable form factor.

Anyway, think I'll be looking a bit more at the switch successor, hope it comes out soon!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1