NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

1 hour ago, Kav said:

My SR button on the JoyCon has stopped working... no idea why as I don’t remove them from the Switch and it’s not been banged or anything.

I must say, with this and the drift I’ve got to say it’s the worst built Nintendo system I’ve ever owned.

Yep, this happened to my JoyCon as well. Thing is unusable.

Thankfully, I've got a Pro Controller, so it's not too bad, but games like Super Mario Party might as well not exist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kav said:

My SR button on the JoyCon has stopped working... no idea why as I don’t remove them from the Switch and it’s not been banged or anything.

I must say, with this and the drift I’ve got to say it’s the worst built Nintendo system I’ve ever owned.

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, this happened to my JoyCon as well. Thing is unusable.

Thankfully, I've got a Pro Controller, so it's not too bad, but games like Super Mario Party might as well not exist.

Same here, on my Right Joy-Con. The SR & SL buttons, plus the SYNC button and the LED lights are all dead on it. I opened it up once and discovered that the ribbon cable responsible for all of those things was insanely creased! :o Moving it around slightly I was able to get everything working again, but just couldn't get it to stay functional when closing up the Joy-Con, and in the end gave up trying to fix it.

I never use the Joy-Cons as separate controllers anyway so it's no big deal for me, but along with the drifting issue it's yet another blemish on Nintendo's otherwise fantastic history of robust hardware design. They really messed up with the Switch Joy-Cons. :nono:

• Like 1

I dunno about the buttons, I haven't used them since SnipperClips, but I get the feeling the bluetooth connection is getting worse and worse. Joy-cons feel unresponsive even though I'm right in front of my Switch. Plus the paint on the sides (where they attach to the switch) is wearing off.

• Like 1

Same here, on my Right Joy-Con. The SR & SL buttons, plus the SYNC button and the LED lights are all dead on it. I opened it up once and discovered that the ribbon cable responsible for all of those things was insanely creased! Moving it around slightly I was able to get everything working again, but just couldn't get it to stay functional when closing up the Joy-Con, and in the end gave up trying to fix it.
I never use the Joy-Cons as separate controllers anyway so it's no big deal for me, but along with the drifting issue it's yet another blemish on Nintendo's otherwise fantastic history of robust hardware design. They really messed up with the Switch Joy-Cons. :nono:
I have the same problem. The good thing is that it's easy and cheap to fix. I fixed the analog sticks on my joycon and procontroller already, so it is not a huge problem.

For the problem was that ti get the aprts my sister, who is in London, had to order it and then send it to me (I am still waiting for it to arrivel).

But I do agree about the quality of it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kav said:

Had exactly the same thing happen to both of the Neon Yellow JoyCon I poicked up, but both SL and SR buttons, and the LED lights, don't work at all.

• Like 1

Oh wow, so the broken Joy-Con rail buttons thing is also a common issue then? :hmm: 

If there are several of us here at N-E affected by it, then it’s likely to be a pretty widespread problem in general.
I guess you just don’t hear about it as much as Joy-Con drift due to it being a less noticeable defect. ::shrug:
Well, it’s obviously going to be very noticeable if you want to use the Joy-Con as individual controllers :heh: but I assume there are many people that never do that, whereas everyone and their dog will notice Joy-Con drift should that problem occur.

• Like 2

I’m really disappointed in the Switch as a console.

I’ve enjoyed very few games on it, it’s shoddily built and it’s online service/features is garbage.

Still, I’ll play the hell out of BotW2 when it releases!

To add to the joy-con hate train, I haven't had an issue with drift since the amazing fix @Londragon showed me (I also repaired two of my friends joycons from work!) but i'm starting to get bluetooth issues too, mainly when playing online. Playing Taiko No Tatsujin for example, I'll be in an online battle drumming away with my joycons when suddenly the left will vibrate, stop picking up my movements for about 5-10 seconds making me lose my combo, the lights on it will flash and it will reconnect. Very annoying but also not totally sure if it's a software issue as that and Animal Crossing are the only games I have noticed it happen on. 

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah, I’ve had the SR/SL buttons go on a couple of my Joycons as well.

Almost all of them now drift too.

And ALL of them have wireless cutout issues too (some worse than others).

I love the design of the Joycons on paper, but they are the most shoddily made controllers that Nintendo have ever produced.  It’s a real shame, because they SHOULD be fantastic controllers, but unfortunately they just suffer from a myriad of design flaws that make actually using them IRL an exercise in pure frustration.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Oh yeah, I’ve had the SR/SL buttons go on a couple of my Joycons as well.

Almost all of them now drift too.

And ALL of them have wireless cutout issues too (some worse than others).

I love the design of the Joycons on paper, but they are the most shoddily made controllers that Nintendo have ever produced.  It’s a real shame, because they SHOULD be fantastic controllers, but unfortunately they just suffer from a myriad of design flaws that make actually using them IRL an exercise in pure frustration.

The design of them becoming separate controllers for multiplayer is nifty (as is their replaceability) but unfortunately they are just not sufficient or comfortable for serious long term play. They're the kind of thing that are perfect for quickly playing with some friends in a pub or something, but not great for actual gamers to play on for long periods of time (which is why many invest in the Pro controller). Which is a bit of a shame.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

What do people make of the latest “Switch Pro” rumours, after the first batch of rumours the other week?

• Like 1

Sounds about right. Nintendo are expecting their best financial year ever, so a Switch Pro + big games to go with it seems likely.

"A lot of games" is a given. It would share the Switch's preexisting library.

If they mean new games, then I highly doubt it, Nintendo's not the type to maximize the number of launch games (they usually aim for a couple of good heavy-hitters).

16 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

"A lot of games" is a given. It would share the Switch's preexisting library.

If they mean new games, then I highly doubt it, Nintendo's not the type to maximize the number of launch games (they usually aim for a couple of good heavy-hitters).

Maybe not launch titles but I could see them releasing a few big hitters within the first 6 months of release. The OG Switch probably had the best launch year of any console in terms of games. Zelda + Mario + Splatoon again?

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

I’m half-gutted I bought the PowerA controller I did the other week, this will be the best Switch controller you can get...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why only two face buttons, though? Seems like a NES-style controller with a control stick.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Why only two face buttons, though? Seems like a NES-style controller with a control stick.

That’s the Left Joycon only.  Looks like you’d use it alongside the existing Right Joycon...

So it seems that Nintendo’s solution to the broken/too small/too tightly packed analog stick problem might be to go back to the 3DS style Circle Pad (I’d imagine that the solution to the clickable stick feature will be something very similar to the iPhone 8’s “home button” placed underneath or on top of the Circle Pad - which should work just fine I reckon)... I’d be very ok with this!

Let’s hope they fix the wonky wireless connectivity with the next Switch model while they’re at it!

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Maybe not launch titles but I could see them releasing a few big hitters within the first 6 months of release. The OG Switch probably had the best launch year of any console in terms of games. Zelda + Mario + Splatoon again?

Yeah, a few big hitters, like I said. Though I imagine, if there's a new Mario coming soon-ish (at least within the New Switch's launch), it's likely to be Mario Kart 9

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Oh?

https://uspto.report/patent/grant/D912,153

USD0912153-20210302-D00000.png

Is this the new Joycon for the Switch 2/Pro? Circle Pads & D-pads making a comeback!?

Is this the end of Joycon Drift at long last!?!?

The website says it was filed on May 1st 2018, so it's been pending for a while already.

5 hours ago, Kav said:

What do people make of the latest “Switch Pro” rumours, after the first batch of rumours the other week?

Very happy to hear the rumours were true. So we get a big Direct in June-September, announcement, here's BotW2 and MP4, I'll let you finish.

I hope they upgrade the storage to something faster too, we aren't going to get anything like the PS5 or Series X speeds but there is a lot of room for improvement over the eMMC in the Switch and the lite.

I'm still skeptical that we'll get it this year though, there have been so many rumours flying around that I won't believe it until I see more concrete proof. If it does come out this year though I will definitely be upgrading as soon as possible, especially if BOTW 2 is launching alongside it.

41 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I hope they upgrade the storage to something faster too, we aren't going to get anything like the PS5 or Series X speeds but there is a lot of room for improvement over the eMMC in the Switch and the lite.

I think that, more importantly than faster internal flash memory, the next Switch needs SDUC & SDXC UHS3 support.  The current Switch can’t take full advantage of the read speeds that SD Cards are really capable of because it is limited to UHS1.

SDUC probably won’t happen until 2023 (when I would expect a true Switch successor), since SDUC cards aren’t even commercially available yet.  But if they are indeed planning on a Switch Pro this year? SDXC UHS3 support really is an absolute must.  That alone would speed up read speeds by x4 over the current Switch model!

As for SDUC? That would literally put it on par with Xbox Series X; so that’s really something I wouldn’t expect until the next generation.

Edited by Dcubed

Oh, of course - there is no point in upgrading the internal storage if they don't also allow for faster SD card formats (as it it's highly likely that even if Nintendo were to upgrade the storage they would still be stingy with the amount, external expansion is always going to be necessary)

I wonder if the Switch Pro will be powerful enough for FF7R? The timed PS exclusivity ends in 16 days... My guess is that even the Switch Pro won't be able to handle Intergrade, but maybe normal FF7R?

I was slightly considering buying a PS5 soonish. But now the Switch Pro rumours are getting "stronger" I might actually wait a fair bit longer and see what happens with the Switch Pro. Can't miss out on the latest Pokemon/Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Smash. xD