NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Nice.

Have played it a bit at my sister's and it's a blast. Will definitely get it eventually. Great to see it's getting a PS5 version :peace:

Awesome!! Was getting worried that it’s never happen after Vicarious Visions got dissolved into Blizzard.

First proper portable THPS game since Sk8land on DS? Think so!

Perfect portable game! :D 

• Like 1

Sick!

With my newly acquired Gamecube collection of Tony Hawk games, this will plug up the gap at the beginning beautifully!

• Like 2

I've had nothing to play on my Switch since I finished BOTW. Someone recommend something for me to play.

39 minutes ago, bob said:

I've had nothing to play on my Switch since I finished BOTW. Someone recommend something for me to play.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 is all the talk at the moment

• Haha 1

I've had nothing to play on my Switch since I finished BOTW. Someone recommend something for me to play that has actually been released.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bob said:

I've had nothing to play on my Switch since I finished BOTW. Someone recommend something for me to play that has actually been released.

Hades is pretty good, not sure if you have it yet. Other than that try Binding of Isaac.

• Like 2

Confirmation of and release date for Star Wars: Republic Commando:

Edit: Oops, didn't see the thread for it. Nevermind, you win again @Julius.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Yours might be. Mine is younger than that.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

The Nintendo Switch is 4 years old today

Damn, time flies, I remember all of the excitement around here at launch! I also remember having to cancel my pre-order a month or so out to be sensible, because it definitely would have been a distraction from my studies :laughing:

In terms of actually Switching *clicking sounds*, as a result of lockdowns, over the last year I don't think I've undocked it for more than 5 minutes at a time, so I'm definitely not hearing the Switch *click* in my head as often these days. Has that been the case for you guys, or are you still getting a good mix of both types of play?

It's a tough platform for me to gauge for me personally. Seeing as I don't have the most storied history with Nintendo and their home consoles, I think I've probably put just as much times into ports as I have new titles, which is great for me, though I do understand why some might have expected a greater output from them with the Switch, and aren't chomping at the bit to return to titles they've already played through. 

The next 12 months is looking a bit stronger for me personally (because of Pokémon, and Sinnoh specifically) but I do have concerns over a large number of the titles I'm looking forward to (though admittedly personal). How much of my time will New Pokémon Snap actually take up? Will Skyward Sword end up being a second tier experience with the Switch's motion controls and button layout when compared with the Wii version? Are the Pokémon Diamond & Pearl remakes going to be near enough 1:1 that aside from some QoL features and playing it on a TV, it won't really be worth picking up? Will Legends: Arceus have a passable frame rate or some half decent textures by the time it releases? And will BOTW2 address some of the weaker points I thought it's predecessor had, such as with the main storyline? 

It's tough, but hey, I'm still excited. The news of Legends: Arceus and how they're phrasing things around BOTW2 has me near convinced that we're seeing a Switch Pro at the end of this year or at the start of the next, which would be exciting too. But, hardware aside, I do wish they'd give us some more customisation options too: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE THEMES?! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Damn, time flies, I remember all of the excitement around here at launch! I also remember having to cancel my pre-order a month or so out to be sensible, because it definitely would have been a distraction from my studies :laughing:

In terms of actually Switching *clicking sounds*, as a result of lockdowns, over the last year I don't think I've undocked it for more than 5 minutes at a time, so I'm definitely not hearing the Switch *click* in my head as often these days. Has that been the case for you guys, or are you still getting a good mix of both types of play?

It's a tough platform for me to gauge for me personally. Seeing as I don't have the most storied history with Nintendo and their home consoles, I think I've probably put just as much times into ports as I have new titles, which is great for me, though I do understand why some might have expected a greater output from them with the Switch, and aren't chomping at the bit to return to titles they've already played through. 

The next 12 months is looking a bit stronger for me personally (because of Pokémon, and Sinnoh specifically) but I do have concerns over a large number of the titles I'm looking forward to (though admittedly personal). How much of my time will New Pokémon Snap actually take up? Will Skyward Sword end up being a second tier experience with the Switch's motion controls and button layout when compared with the Wii version? Are the Pokémon Diamond & Pearl remakes going to be near enough 1:1 that aside from some QoL features and playing it on a TV, it won't really be worth picking up? Will Legends: Arceus have a passable frame rate or some half decent textures by the time it releases? And will BOTW2 address some of the weaker points I thought it's predecessor had, such as with the main storyline? 

It's tough, but hey, I'm still excited. The news of Legends: Arceus and how they're phrasing things around BOTW2 has me near convinced that we're seeing a Switch Pro at the end of this year or at the start of the next, which would be exciting too. But, hardware aside, I do wish they'd give us some more customisation options too: WHERE THE HECK ARE THE THEMES?! 

I've been hot and cold on the Switch since launch. The first 18 months were mesmerising, Nintendo at their very best IMO. The last couple of years I've complained a lot, but I've been forcing myself to play a lot of the backlog games recently I have and slowly picked up some of the big Nintendo published games I'd ignored at launch in the past few months. 

Overall, I think I've been too hard on them at times. Everything I've played has been a joy. Yes, we have a lot of ports, but even replaying some of them has been a lot of fun. I definitely love the Switch more than the Wii. As it is right now, it's one hell of a proposition with a truly outstanding library of first party, indie and retro games. I do not miss the additional stuff that came with the 3DS and Wii and definitely prefer the simplicity, speed and execution of the very basic menu system. It's a great machine for playing TV and handheld games and it just works. 

The joy-cons are by far the biggest disappointment, but I think this machine and these four years as a whole have been an amazing turnaround for the company, and I hope late '21 / early '22 they give us another period like 2017. A new, more powerful system would be nice, but I'm perfectly happy with my Switch and, at times, I haven't had as much fun with a Nintendo system as I've had since the late 90s and early 2000s.

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What’s the significance of the upgraded screen? Is it just better or is there more to it?

Makes sense, keep the unit the same size but get rid of the bezels. Still 720p though at a larger size so it might be brighter but will appear less sharp.

7 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

What’s the significance of the upgraded screen? Is it just better or is there more to it?

“The OLED panel will consume less battery, offer higher contrast and possibly faster response time when compared to the Switch’s current liquid-crystal display,” said Yoshio Tamura, co-founder of display consultancy DSCC."

• Like 1

Sounds like it's probably a better handheld screen and a new chip in the dock to upscale to HD, but not much difference elsewhere.

I actually think it's going to be a fairly good upgrade, a bit like going from the N64 to a Dreamcast (as opposed to N64 -> GC). The original Switch will continue to get support for the next 3-4 years but then the new model will become the 'base' model for software going forward.

4K (via DLSS) and a CPU that easily outperforms what the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X can do is fairly likely. The Switch came out in 2017 with a high end 2015 Tegra chip, so a two year old chip now plus DLSS is going to be great. 

• Like 4

On 24/02/2021 at 2:21 PM, bob said:

Xenoblade Chronicles DE and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (plus the Torna DLC).

Edited by Kav
  • Like 2

On 04/03/2021 at 8:29 AM, Ronnie said:

Makes sense, keep the unit the same size but get rid of the bezels. Still 720p though at a larger size so it might be brighter but will appear less sharp.

On the face of it the heavily rumoured Switch Pro sounds pretty much like what we saw with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (4K graphics but not replacing the base unit).

I remember a few years back you were very vocal about a mid-gen refresh console, thinking it was a kick in the teeth to existing owners. Would it be fair to say your view on them has changed over the years?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

On the face of it the heavily rumoured Switch Pro sounds pretty much like what we saw with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (4K graphics but not replacing the base unit).

I remember a few years back you were very vocal about a mid-gen refresh console, thinking it was a kick in the teeth to existing owners. Would it be fair to say your view on them has changed over the years?

The Switch Pro sounds nothing like the Pro or Xbox One X, but it's hard to judge until we know facts. An iterative handheld update, nearly five years after the original is a little different to the Pro coming out 3 years in. Good attempt at stirring though.

37 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The Switch Pro sounds nothing like the Pro or Xbox One X, but it's hard to judge until we know facts. An iterative handheld update, nearly five years after the original is a little different to the Pro coming out 3 years in. Good attempt at stirring though.

Doesn't read like he's stirring to me, he's just asked whether you've changed your opinion, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You stated in the quoted thread that you expected consoles to last for 5+ years, and the switch and not yet hit 4. The general business strategy seems similar - offer a premium iteration of an existing SKU for the more hardcore gamer by boosting performance. So what's the difference.

To be completely open I was always slightly resentful at the short turn around between PS4 and Pro way back when, and now find myself looking forward to the Switch. I can't say for sure where that dissonance comes from, but the 2 things I would point to are:

1. Where as Sony and Microsoft are trying to stay at the peak of console graphics and performance (and thus the jump to a Pro or series X seemed excessive), Ninty are no so far behind that the gap between what you can play on the Switch and the best consoles can give is getting hard to ignore. I was willing to accept BotW 4 years ago, but if BotW2 doesn't look like its progressed I'd be a little disapointed.

2. I just with to play BotW2 in 4k. Quite frankly just the idea of it gives me tingles. 

edit: and Prime 4. Oh god Prime 4 in 4k. Just call it Prime 4k

Edited by LazyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Can you explain based on what is rumoured so far how it seems nothing like the PS4Pro or X1X? Understandably these are rumours so far, but I'm interested to know how you would fall if indeed it provides 4K output, similar to how the other mid-gen refreshes did.

The timing is also very similar - Switch is bang on 4 years old right now (with the Pro rumoured this year). The Xbox One X released 4 years after the base console, while the PS4 Pro came 3 years after the base console. Doesn't seem a huge difference to be honest - roughly the halfway point of the console's life.

Obviously there's much to be confirmed, but if a Switch Pro gets released this year (as rumoured), would you see this is a bit of a kick in the teeth? Personally I think more choice is great, and have never seen mid-gen refreshes as a bad thing (rather they extend the generation). But I was honestly interested in your opinion as I remember how outspoken you were first time round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1