NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

5 hours ago, Sckewi said:

Random Switch-related thought, but I wish they'd put the original RBY and Stadium on Switch as some kind of single purchase/collection and with working Dodrio mode.

Same for GSC and Stadium 2 for that matter.

I was thinking something very similar yesterday afternoon while watching a Gold & Silver retrospective. This year would be the perfect opportunity to do something like this, what with it being the 25th anniversary of the franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was thinking something very similar yesterday afternoon while watching a Gold & Silver retrospective. This year would be the perfect opportunity to do something like this, what with it being the 25th anniversary of the franchise.

I'm really, really curious to see how they go about it this year with Pokémon.

For the 20th anniversary in 2016, it was an absolute blowout from what I can remember: Pokémon Sun and Moon announced and released; Pokémon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow 3DS VC releases on the anniversary itself (and I'm fairly certain they went trigger happy with this on Wii U VC too? Is this the year that got the Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games too?); Pokkén Tournament release; Detective Pikachu announced; and probably loads of other VC and mobile releases I'm missing too. 

In terms of the core series, I think Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes are a given...right? Well, I certainly hope so, for Game Freak's sake, because it's also those games' 15th anniversary this year, which is the longest we've been waiting for a pair of remakes by nearly three years already. Normally we don't get remake news until May, but it being an anniversary year, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a Pokémon Direct next month like they did in 2016. COVID is definitely the unknown factor in all of this, because we've seen how closely Nintendo have been keeping their cards to their chests since how they revealed Paper Mario last year. I've spoken before about how I have little faith they'll do the original games justice in a remake if it is basically just a Sword and Shield version of those games, yet I will absolutely be there on Day 1, based purely on nostalgia and my love of that soundtrack alone. It's a weakness.

The only bit about this which makes me a little nervous is the success of the Let's Go games, but I don't see Game Freak passing up the opportunity to celebrate two anniversaries at once.

In terms of re-releases and ports, I hope they do the smart thing here and skip over the Game Boy games and go to the Game Boy Advance games instead. We got RBY on 3DS already (while I know they're not on the Switch, I think there are smarter things they can do with those versions of the game), and because we also got GSC in 2017 on 3DS too, I feel like it's time the GBA titles are released on a modern platform. FireRed and LeafGreen this year (because 25th Anniversary), then Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald next year (because it will be the 20th Anniversary of Ruby and Sapphire). Sell them for £10 - £15 each (and wreak havoc on the economy of the GBA resale market in the process), and I think they've absolutely got a winner. Plus, you already have access to every generation of core series game except the third generation (the GBA games) on 3DS, so if you want to keep it fresh, that's how you do it best I feel. 

In terms of spin-off titles, so far we know that there's a Detective Pikachu sequel and New Pokémon Snap in the works (though not specified for this year, before COVID I have to imagine they were both aiming for a release this year), as well as Pokémon Arena (gross). We could see spin-off collections for their earlier games which I think could go down really well (the Ranger series, as @Sckewi mentioned the Stadium games too). Heck, port over Colosseum! And I would absolutely be all over a remake of Explorers of Sky. 

And I love how this is just talking Pokémon, never mind the countless Nintendo first party franchises which have their anniversaries this year too. You cap all of that off with a couple of Zelda collections (and maybe the Breath of the Wild sequel? At the very least I'll be surprised if we didn't see that game turn up somewhere this year), Prime Trilogy finally coming out on Switch, maybe even a Donkey Kong Country Returns port? I played it on Wii, and playing that game with a Wiimote was definitely not the way to play that game, and while I know it's on 3DS, I want to play it on the big screen :p I think things are stacked for this next financial year if Nintendo play their cards right.

I mean, not that they wouldn't still do great if they didn't :laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Nintendo are buying Next Level Games.

EDIT: In regards to the Pokémon anniversary stuff. Unless it comes with Stadium/Stadium 2 support, I don't want the Game Boy games to be released again so soon after the 3DS. That would just be boring. I'm with @Julius on that. GBA games or don't even bother. Especially FireRed/LeafGreen. Then we can have a good remake of Red/Blue where you're allowed to evolve your damn Golbat!

While I like the idea of Ranger getting a re-release, have you tried drawing quick circles on the Switch's screen? It's not able to do it even remotely accurately. I'm afraid outside of a new release with revamped, Switch friendly mechanics, Ranger ain't leaving the DS.

All in for the EoS remake though. Rescue Team DX did really well, so I can only hope Pokémon Company are smart and commissioned Chun Soft to do that.

Sharpedo_Bluff_face_TDS.png

Give me that in Rescue Team DX's watercolour style and that's my year sorted!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just came to post the same story.

Great news! They’ve been a solid studio for a long time. Luigi’s Mansion 3 was excellent and it will be exciting to see what they can do with closer collaboration. 

YES!!!! FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :bouncy:

About damn time!!! This was LONG overdue!

With Microsoft and Sony now kickstarting the Acquisition Endgame, this needed to happen ASAP, before there was any risk of NLG getting bought out.

Now.  Nintendo.  Stop being stupid and buy out Koei-Tecmo before someone else does and you lose another key co-development partner (You don't want another Namco on your hands now, do you?).

Probably should buy out Game Freak and Good Feel as well.  HAL and IS are probably safe though.

Edited by Dcubed

So that's the future of the Metroid series secured, then. :indeed: 

In all seriousness, it's a good buy to be sure. Especially if there was a risk of losing Next Level Games to a competitor. Now partner them up with Camelot for a Mario Strikers RPG!

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Stop being stupid and buy out Koei-Tecmo 

Is this the only way to get Opoona and Operation: Winback into the latest Smash Bros.?!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm afraid outside of a new release with revamped, Switch friendly mechanics, Ranger ain't leaving the DS.

What about the Wii U versions? :p 

11 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Probably should buy out Game Freak and Good Feel as well. 

Not too fussed about Game Freak but I'd certainly welcome Good Feel being added to the Nintendo family. I'd also add Grezzo to the list, which I don't think would be too much of a stretch.

Acquisitions that I would love but would never happen are Wayforward and Inti Creates.

• Like 1

What other games have "have next level games" made. I have the luigis mansion 3 the multiplayer is brilliant.

54 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Not too fussed about Game Freak but I'd certainly welcome Good Feel being added to the Nintendo family. I'd also add Grezzo to the list, which I don't think would be too much of a stretch.

Acquisitions that I would love but would never happen are Wayforward and Inti Creates.

Grezzo and Camelot seem like the most likely ones to me.

I don’t think Nintendo will be buying any of their smaller Japanese partners.  The only reason why they would buy is if Sony were threatening to steal them away from Nintendo; and I really doubt that Sony would attempt to buy the likes of Greezo (who own no IP and whose staff would up and leave immediately if Sony attempted a hostile takeover).

Koei-Tecmo are at risk though.  I could see Sony going for them... (I don’t think that Sony could afford any other major Japanese publisher).  And they also have valuable IP to go along with them. Losing them would be a big blow to Nintendo EPD’s production capacity...

Level 5 are also a potential acquisition target from Sony, but I doubt that Nintendo would buy them.  If they wanted their artists and programmers, they could just headhunt the talent directly and not saddle themselves with huge amounts of debt.

Make no mistake.  Nintendo bought NLG as a defensive measure.  They know that the acquisition endgame has begun in the west.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, euroninfan said:

What other games have "have next level games" made. I have the luigis mansion 3 the multiplayer is brilliant.

For the Switch, just Luigi's Mansion 3.

In their portfolio they also have Luigi's Mansion 2, the Mario Strikers/Football series, Punch-Out Wii, and Metroid Federation Force.

Seems solid, yes

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

OK, smart arse. And Super Mario World is a Switch game.

I actually kinda like it...

And what other colour would you suggest a Mario style to have?

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I actually kinda like it...

And what other colour would you suggest a Mario style to have?

Oh no, the colours absolutely fit Mario. But that doesn't mean I still find it awful. Maybe if the Joy-Con buttons would be yellow or blue it would be better. 

I think what's not helping is the background of those photos, particularly the bottom two, just making it all too much and too garish.

And this coming from someone that owns multiple orange jumpers.

• Haha 1

I'd swap the red and the blue (a.k.a. blue joycons with red grip). That way, it would actually look like Mario's shirt enveloped by blue suspenders.

I really like the Mario themed Switch. If I didn't already own a Switch and was buying one now, I'd get that one. :D

56 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

I really like the Mario themed Switch. If I didn't already own a Switch and was buying one now, I'd get that one. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing what other themes they announce this year with all the upcoming anniversaries!

• Like 1

There have been plenty of rumours about a more powerful Switch coming later this year. Today, a very reliable Apple leaker (who has connections at Foxconn, the Chinese production company) has tweeted about it, suggesting that it's now entered production: 

I'm really excited about this, because a recent Nvidia hiring post confirmed they were looking at someone with DLSS experience. For those unaware, DLSS can allow a console to output a 4K image without all the required GPU power. In fact, I've seen footage of Death Stranding run at very low resolutions (360p) and look near identical to a 1080p PS4 image. This could be a real game changer for Nintendo, as Sony and Microsoft can't use DLSS as it's not something AMD offer. A new Switch can offer a decent CPU boost, DLSS and perhaps have more memory without 'replacing' the current Switch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of docks I would like one that isn't a piece of flimsy plastic that feels like it's going to scratch the screen.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

There have been plenty of rumours about a more powerful Switch coming later this year. Today, a very reliable Apple leaker (who has connections at Foxconn, the Chinese production company) has tweeted about it, suggesting that it's now entered production: 

I'm really excited about this, because a recent Nvidia hiring post confirmed they were looking at someone with DLSS experience. For those unaware, DLSS can allow a console to output a 4K image without all the required GPU power. In fact, I've seen footage of Death Stranding run at very low resolutions (360p) and look near identical to a 1080p PS4 image. This could be a real game changer for Nintendo, as Sony and Microsoft can't use DLSS as it's not something AMD offer. A new Switch can offer a decent CPU boost, DLSS and perhaps have more memory without 'replacing' the current Switch. 

Well, that's another 70 million sales...

Edited by Ronnie