NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I had exactly the same thing recently after a period of not using it. Think in the end I had to re-sync the controllers as if they were new and it has worked since then.

• Thanks 1

Anyone here played My Time at Portia on Switch? On any other platforms too? Seen it's in the sale and I'm a bit tempted - however reviews seem to suggest Switch loading times let it down(and considering I'm playing Ni No Kuni which is running very nicely atm this may well irk me) - I understand they patched it since launch but even then it seems some feedback suggests a long niitial load and then some occasional ones throughout the game too - any experiences with it Switch wise from folks here?

Nintendo's FY3/Q2 2021 report is out, covering the period of 1st July 2020 - 30th September 2020. 

The big takeaways

- 6.85 million units sold this quarter between the Switch and Switch Lite. Lifetime sales for the console now stand at 68.5 million units sold. This means sales for the Switch halfway through the Financial Year stand at 12.53 million units sold - with the busiest quarter still to come! Year-to-date sales stand at 15.82 million units sold (3.29 million units were sold in Q4 2020). 

- On the back of this, hardware forecast sales for the year have been increased to 24 million units sold. This is in line with previous reports from the time of their last financials, which outlines Nintendo would be increasing production to 25 million units for the Financial Year. 

- In terms of new games this quarter, Paper Mario: The Origami King has sold 2.82 million units since launch, and Super Mario 3D All-Stars has sold 5.21 million units since launch (yeah, for the latter it's worth noting that's only in the space of two weeks). 

- Other games of note: Ring Fit Adventure at 5.84 million units sold, Xenoblade Chronicles now at 1.40 million units sold, and Clubhouse Games is at 1.81 million units sold. 

- Pokémon Sword & Shield have passed 19 million units sold, making them the first games in the series to do so since Gold & Silver. 

- Mario Kart 8 (including both sales of Deluxe and the original Wii U version of the game) is now the best-selling game in the series, with lifetime sales of 37.44 million units sold compared with Mario Kart Wii's 37.38 million units sold. It's possible that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe could surpass this mark individually down the road. 

Top 10 best-selling Switch games as of 30th September 2020

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 28.99M

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 26.04M

3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 21.10M

4. Breath of the Wild - 19.74M

5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - 19.02M

6. Super Mario Odyssey - 18.99M

7. Pokemon Let’s GO - 12.49M

8. Super Mario Party - 12.10M

9. Splatoon 2 - 11.27M

10. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe - 8.32M

Personal Note: Animal Crossing: New Horizons could potentially surpass Mario Kart 8 Deluxe over the next quarter and become the Switch's best-selling game. Based on it's current pacing, New Horizons should surpass the 30 million mark in 2020 sales alone.

Based on their current growth rates, New Horizons would be projected to come in next time around at just passing that 30 million mark, whilst Mario Kart would be in the 31 - 32 million mark, though this is only based on quarter-to-quarter growth comparisons, and it would be expected for both games to perform even stronger next time around due to it being the busiest quarter of the year.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Disappointed Animal Crossing couldn't quite pip MK8 this quarter but it does seem inevitable that it'll surpass it eventually - which is absolutely crazy. There aren't very many games that can shift 30 million copies in a single year but at this point it would be a big surprise if it doesn't.

Based on their projections, the Switch will have topped 80m units by the end of the FY so 100m by the end of FY 2022 isn't an outlandish expectation. 

Main takeaways for me are in the software though, BOTW is soon going to surpass 20m for the Switch version alone and Ring Fit Adventure is an absolute beast - if Nintendo can keep stock coming for that it might end up being one of the best sellers this Xmas. 

• Like 1

To be fair though, Pokemon SS should be compared to Pokemon GS AND C; since the expansion pass takes the place of the usual 3rd version here.  In that case, it’s not so rosy a picture...

Good for 51 Worldwide Classics though! Good shit :D 

19 hours ago, Dcubed said:

To be fair though, Pokemon SS should be compared to Pokemon GS AND C; since the expansion pass takes the place of the usual 3rd version here.  In that case, it’s not so rosy a picture...

In that case it hasn’t outsold (U)S/(U)M either, as that sold over 25 mio+ combined...

On 07/11/2020 at 7:40 AM, Dcubed said:

I'm not sure I would agree with that, that doesn't seem like a fair comparison at all.

This doesn't include figures for Expansion Pass sales and is strictly for the main game, and the SKU for the Expansion Pass bundled with the main game (the only way I guess you could, at a stretch, try to compare "enhanced versions" - but even then, the main game itself hasn't been enhanced?) has only been made available since the cutoff date for these figures. 

Further yet, DLC is an entirely different beast to a third version, in my opinion. Lower price, sure, but limited to the player base who have already purchased the game meaning that the price of admission is higher per game, and at the end of a day is a relatively smaller offering which only looks to extend rather than replace Sword and Shield - which is important, because while we're getting a separate SKU bundled with the Expansion Pass, are any of us here going to be picking it up if we already have the main game like we would a third version? I really doubt it. This isn't going to be like Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon cannabilising the sales of Sun and Moon. 

There are then plenty of other factors like the reduced development costs of DLC vs a traditional third version, the shorter development cycle, the lack of anticipation compared to a new pair of games being released, the marketing campaign for the DLC being dwarfed by that of the main games, etc. 

It's Pokémon, so there really isn't a great analogy I can make to other games in this instance, because they milk the games for all they're worth, perhaps more so than any other franchise out there right now. But comparing Sword and Shield sales to that of main games + third versions in a way which doesn't even include the DLC sales (and again, I don't even think that's a fair comparison either) just doesn't give a fair picture of how well these games have performed. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's an interesting case. Because for all intents and purposes, the Pokémon DLC is the replacement for the usual third version, but I agree with @Julius in that it's not a fair comparison. Not even a bit.

Anyway, @Dcubed, shame on you! Insinuating that it'll be a good idea to go back to third versions. Don't encourage Pokémon Company to take a step back with this. Every moment of genuine progress with this franchise should be treasured! Otherwise, it'll get put in the "Why'd they get rid of this?" pile along with Rotation Battles and Mega Evolution. Is that what you want?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m glad to hear about Pikmin 3 in Japan. While I don’t want Nintendo to just continue with ports and not new games, I would like to see them continue with the Pikmin franchise.

I was a little worried with news on the low initial UK sales figures (although that was only of physical copies).

• Like 1

I'm not generally a fan of celebrity ads, but the Brie Larson ones put up today are a rare exception. The Animal Crossing one is especially wholesome!

So...Samus when? :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Capcom was recently hit by a ransomware attack and while it may be a bit unethical to use the information coming out of it, we now know of quite a few games coming from Capcom. 

Spoiler

It seems that The Great Ace Attorney 1+2 is gettting a collection and will be released in the West for the first time ever, along with a new Ace Attorney-game.

A new game that will be released first on Switch is called GUILLOTINE at the moment and should release in February on Switch - May on other consoles.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 will come out in June and there will be DLC for it along with PvP and co-op. Both it and Monster Hunter Rise will come out on PC later in 2021.

Also, not so relevant for Switch, but the following games will come from Capcom over the next 2-4 years:

Resident Evil Outrage – Q4 2021
Dragon’s Dogma 2 – Q2 2022
Street Fighter 6 – Q3 2022
Rockman (Mega Man in English) Match – Q3 2022
Resident Evil 4 Remake – Q4 2022
Onimusha New Work – Q4 2022
Monster Hunter 6 – Q2 2023
Biohazard Apocalypse – Q3 2023
Super Street Fighter 6 – Q4 2023
Final Fight Remake – Q2 2024
Power Stone Remake – Q3 2024
Ultra Street Fighter 6 – Q4 2024
Resident Evil Hank – Q4 2024

Source: https://www.resetera.com/threads/capcom-ransomware-leaks-thread-check-op-for-latest-contents.327053/

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36382-neotheworldendswithyoubanner.jpg

NEO: The World Ends With You announced for the Nintendo Switch

Up on the main page. :D

Full press release and trailer.

- - - - -

Thanks to @Helmsly for the heads-up, I've credited you in the article. :)

A sequel to the DS original then, this is great news for fans of the series, I know the Switch HD rerelease of the original had some criticism, but it's an option to catch up.

With this being a title built from the ground-up for current gen/lastgen hardware, it has potential.

I reckon @nekunando might be interested in this title. :peace:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

giphy.gif

As a fan of the original: HELL YES!!! Just hook this straight to my veins. And if the soundtrack is as killer this time round as in the original, then it'll just be great.

Gameplay looked a bit rough round the edges, definitely looks to be the Switch version with that frame rate. Still plenty of time to polish but definitely interested to see how the PS4 version runs as I'll probably play it through BC on my PS5.

But as I said, hell yeah!!! Can't wait.

• Like 3

Great news! I wasn’t sure what the reaction was going to be on the forum, but so glad to see others excited by this too!  While I play the Switch version, I enjoyed the DS game and so pleased to hear about this.

• Thanks 1

There’s a new System update for the Switch (ver 11.0.0).

Ver. 11.0.0 (Released November 30, 2020)

Nintendo Switch Online was added to the HOME Menu.

A new feature that automatically downloads backed up save data was added to the Save Data Cloud.

• When using software with the same Nintendo Account linked to multiple systems, save data backed up from one console will automatically be downloaded to your other system(s).
    *To use this feature, it must be enabled under System Settings > Data Management > Save Data Cloud.
    *Save data will not be downloaded automatically unless save data for that software exists on the console. The first time only, users must download the save data manually.
    *A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the Save Data Cloud service.

A new Trending feature was added to the User Page.

• Users can check what software their friends are playing or have started playing recently.
    Information will not be displayed for friends who have their online status set to display to no one.

Users can now transfer screenshots and videos from Album to their smart devices.

• Users can wirelessly connect their smart devices to Nintendo Switch to transfer the screenshots and videos saved within their Album.
  • For screenshots, users can transfer a maximum of 10 screenshots and 1 video capture at once.
    *To connect, users must use their smart device to scan the QR Code displayed on the Nintendo Switch screen.
    For more information, please refer to the Nintendo Support website.
    *“QR Code” is a registered trademark of DENSO WAVE INCORPORATED.

A new Copy to a Computer via USB Connection feature was added under System Settings > Data Management > Manage Screenshots and Videos.

• Users can use a USB cable to connect Nintendo Switch to their computers to copy the screenshots and videos saved under Album.
    * A USB charging cable [model HAC-010] or a USB-IF certified USB cable that supports data transfer is required to connect to a computer.
    For more information, please refer to the Nintendo Support website.
    * Connection via the Nintendo Switch dock is not supported. Please connect the Nintendo Switch system directly to the computer.

Users can now select what download to prioritize when there are multiple downloads in progress.

• When there are multiple software, update data, or downloadable content downloads in progress, users can now select which they want to download first.
  • You can set this under Download Options by selecting the icon for the software you want to download first on the HOME Menu.

User icons were added.

• 12 user icons that commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series were added.

Users can now name preset button mappings with the Change Button Mapping feature.

Brazilian Portuguese was added as a supported language.

• When users set their region to the Americas and their language to Português, the language used on the HOME Menu and in certain software will be displayed in Brazilian Portuguese.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Oh snap, I don't have to awkwardly take out the SD Card whenever I have to get some pics for a review? Worth it for that alone!

• Like 1

Yeah, that is a really welcome addition. Now I may actually use my own screenshots for reviews!

4 hours ago, Helmsly said:

There’s a new System update for the Switch (ver 11.0.0).

Ctrl+F "Folders"

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Good update overall! Trending with friends and the NSO home screen button are certainly more than we've had before!

I can maybe see this as them laying the groundwork for a few social features that may be improved upon in the coming weeks, years, decades.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Oh snap, I don't have to awkwardly take out the SD Card whenever I have to get some pics for a review? Worth it for that alone!

I have Facebook set up with privacy set to "Only Me" for the Switch screenshots. I'm curious how the phone scanning will work.