NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

9 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Can I get some impressions from you guys? Any of you have played it? Is it cross save, so I can play on my PC and continue on my Switch or phone? 

And is it free to play too?

Played it on PS4 (the Switch version still doesn't have a release date, as far as I know).

Biggest issue for me: The controls suck ass. Seriously...seems designed by someone who's never played a console game. This is actually why I stopped playing after 3 hours.

In my limited time, however, I did get some positive impressions:

• it's a beautiful game
  • soundtrack is amazing
  • lots to do and see
  • exploration is fun
  • combat is awesome

The game is an action JRPG at its core, though, so if that's something you don't enjoy you should stay away from Genshin Impact.

And yes, it's free to play. New characters can be acquired by loot boxes (gacha mechanics).
Can't say anything about whether you can play the game nicely without paying a dime, though.

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

2 out of 10, in case you're wondering. But it's pretty bad that FIFA keeps doing this and ripping off unsuspecting Switch players.

Well done IGN, great tweet

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Played it on PS4 (the Switch version still doesn't have a release date, as far as I know).

Biggest issue for me: The controls suck ass. Seriously...seems designed by someone who's never played a console game. This is actually why I stopped playing after 3 hours.

In my limited time, however, I did get some positive impressions:

• it's a beautiful game
  • soundtrack is amazing
  • lots to do and see
  • exploration is fun
  • combat is awesome

The game is an action JRPG at its core, though, so if that's something you don't enjoy you should stay away from Genshin Impact.

And yes, it's free to play. New characters can be acquired by loot boxes (gacha mechanics).
Can't say anything about whether you can play the game nicely without paying a dime, though.

Thanks for the info Drahkon. I really enjoy action JRPG's, so that's why it appealed to me in the first place. I'm just wary when it comes to games that get's advertised too much, like those annoying mobile games. Good to hear that it's a decent game from your short playtime. I'll see if it's any good on PC. I guess I'll be able to customize my controls (unless the developers are total potatoes), so I'll try it there. Too bad about the gacha mechanics though, not a fan of those. But if you can get a decent experiece from the core game without paying more then I'll stick to it.

11 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Too bad about the gacha mechanics though, not a fan of those. But if you can get a decent experiece from the core game without paying more then I'll stick to it.

Did some reading around various forums and it seems that everything that's in the game right now can easily played without paying a cent. Grinding isn't really necessary, either. :)

If you want certain characters then you'd be better off just paying for a chance to "roll" them. But you get a few characters for free as part of the story progression, so there's that.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Couldn't find a topic for this game - but the Switch logo is nowhere to be seen in the newest trailer for XIII: 

Delayed or cancelled?

So...uhh...I apologise in advance but I tried searching(its been out on like...everything, even mobile) and didn't find any mention of it anywhere on here - but I've just a few days ago rediscovered some old freemium crack by the name of Gems of War is apparently on Switch?

For any Puzzle Quest/Match 3 lovers it's gonna suck you right up. Being freemium there is ofc much in game purchaseable stuff but I can't say I've felt tempted at any point - has anyone else played it? Multiplat as mentioned but just finding it on switch(damn you eShop advertising!) has kinda made my week/destroyed my life :p

EDIT: destroyed my life?? Yep! Latest from Rumdum Rages(to their credit one of few server/network issues I've had - also language spoiler for anyone who doesnt read titles or know me :p

Pachter seems to suggest that Nintendo should scrap the idea of a hybrid console and focus on the handheld part of it:

"I don’t really understand the whole hybrid concept... I don’t think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only. So I honestly don’t understand the whole point of the hybrid. Who cares? Play it as a handheld."

"And Nintendo isn’t that smart," he continues, "so you never know what they will do next, but I think the smart thing would be to get rid of the Switch console and only have the Switch Lite, get rid of the docking station, get rid of playing on the TV; maybe offer a Fire Stick style dongle for those who do want to play it on the TV."

Source: https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-should-get-rid-of-the-switch-console-and-only-have-the-switch-lite-michael-pachter

19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Pachter seems to suggest that Nintendo should scrap the idea of a hybrid console and focus on the handheld part of it:

Source: https://gamingbolt.com/nintendo-should-get-rid-of-the-switch-console-and-only-have-the-switch-lite-michael-pachter

This is one of the most stupid things I've ever read about the Switch to be honest. Options are always a good thing in my opinion, unless one is actively making another option worse. 

I don’t think most people play it in both modes, I would say that maybe 20% of Switch owners play both modes; and I think most Switch owners play it handheld only.

Even if it is the case that only 20% play it in both handheld and docked (I play almost exclusively docked at this point) and more people play it handheld only, that doesn't mean they don't want the option to play both ways. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's the other way around and more people mostly/exclusively play it docked, which is having the option is so important.

I hate it when analysts come at things like this with such binary thinking, thinking there's a wrong and a right. It might be mostly right in Japan, for instance, because of the historically good performances of handhelds over there, but that still doesn't mean that every Japanese owner of a Switch would be just as hope with only a Lite. 

I'll probably look it up later because I imagine it's in the most recent quarterly report, but I have to imagine that the Switch is outpacing the Switch Lite, and all of those broken records we've seen since launch aren't for nothing.

That was a frustrating read. 

EDIT:

"And Nintendo isn’t that smart," he continues, "so you never know what they will do next..."

Ah yes, another analyst thinking he's smarter than Nintendo. 

"but I think the smart thing would be to get rid of the Switch console and only have the Switch Lite, get rid of the docking station, get rid of playing on the TV; maybe offer a Fire Stick style dongle for those who do want to play it on the TV."

So which one is it? Get rid of playing on the TV entirely, or just replace the dock with a dongle which we know Nintendo would struggle to make work. 

Oh, and here, take a look at the search results for "Pachter consoles" on Google. Guy's been predicting that consoles would die out for the last decade, and here we are with the PS4 having flown by 100 million units sold quite a while back. I'm sorry, but Pachter's an idiot. 

How the heck is he still finding work covering the games industry? 

Edited by Julius

Nooooo. I play docked 80% of the time, but handheld is essential if I go on a plane journey. Keep it the way it is.

It would completely ruin local multiplayer which thrives on Switch, if it were to be handheld only. So that alone would rule it out.

I play about 90 % handheld because I can't (get myself to) access the TV in the evening since my wife and I share the TV. But I really like to dock it and play on the TV when my wife is out of the house. I would really miss that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Pachter is notorious for being wrong more often than he is right. Whenever he claims something that must be done, it's a surefire way of knowing that the opposite must be done. The guy doesn't know jack about what makes consoles sell.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pachter is notorious for being wrong more often than he is right. Whenever he claims something that must be done, it's a surefire way of knowing that the opposite must be done. The guy doesn't know jack about what makes consoles sell.

Agreed, he's quite the joker. Making fun of him and his 'predictions' is is just gold.

It's impressive that he is actually still in business. But his comments are good for stirring a discussion, maybe that's why the media keep on talking to him? 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 2

Wow. This guy hasn't been relevant for over a decade. Why is his opinion still being published by anyone? 

Michael Pachter is the chocolate fireguard of the business analysis world. 

• Haha 2

Well, I'm sure this is going to go down well... :p

Edited by Julius

On 23/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, MindFreak said:

Ah, Pachter... Hadn't heard that name in a long while. With all the crazy ways the world has evolved in the past 10 years, it's somewhat comforting to see that broken clock is still broken.

Kudos to @Julius, who wasn't around back when Pachter's dumb takes were a common headline around here. Nevertheless, he looked up his reputation and deciphered him in no time flat. As a bonus, here's an old comic made in... I think, 2009:

93c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I remember him mentioning about how the PlayStation Move was gonna totally stop dead all momentum of Wii sales.

That was funny.

The true irony, however, as we all can tell now is that his Wii HD advice did end up dooming Nintendo... If they didn't have enough money to weather that storm easily.

The Wii is probably the biggest reason no-one takes him seriously in the gaming industry anymore. Most naysayers who got blindsided by the massive success it got at the start threw up their hands, said "OK, we were wrong" and moved on. But he just kept on hammering that Wii HD saving move in.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 3

Man. I dunno what is UP buy damn I am hooked on what you would poss consider trash of a game. Less than £2 jn tbe current eShop sale - looks asife it is a decievingly addictive game. Following the standard idea of being someone cooking meals together in a kitchen - it is mostly a game about memory sequencing and some fine balances with your back burners too. So far I must admit whilst I would be wont to criticise it it has done a sneaky trick of sticking in an absolute button of variation - but all in good measure/good order. There seems to be many many many missions to be had - of which you can play 'Zen' where there are no hig bonua Rush Hours but also less risk of horrendous failure - but still a challenge in itself that will slowly help acclimatize to the game itself. There's a whole wealth of content(apparently) that one can use to customise one's own restaraunt decor and eventual menu too - but so far I haven't bothered with any of that. It's a particularly peculiar title maybe - one for the folks who like to use button combos to beat the clock - but boy oh boy does this have button combos out the wazoo! From cleaning toilets to killing mice to making the best of all the burgers(or chinese food, or waffles, or ice cream cones, or pizzas, or fries, or rice, or......) - but be warned One step wrong in recipe and your meal is ruined and there is no turning back for that customer - so pay attention to the order; quite literally! Once it's in; you can't take it out. One thing I think say will also be applicable to anyone who picks this up and becomes a fan(srsly, its under two quid! its not exactly fancy but its not a bad punt for something different!)

Noticed that Eighting are helping Nintendo out with the Pikmin 3 port. Not heard of that developer for years, is it too much to hope for a new Kururin game?

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mandalore said:

Noticed that Eighting are helping Nintendo out with the Pikmin 3 port. Not heard of that developer for years, is it too much to hope for a new Kururin game?

Oh? How interesting! They haven’t worked together for a long time!

Would love to see them team up for another Kururin game (or at least a remaster of Kururin Squash!)

• Thanks 1

A new Kururin game would be incredible, even just bringing the JP only ones out on Switch would do me as the original GBA game is one of my favourite games of all time

Has anyone ever experienced their Switch not recognising either split joy cons or the Pro controller? I hadn't used it for 2-3 weeks, and the past couple of days I've been doing my usual pressing the home button on the Pro controller thing to wake it while in the dock. The lights flash for a while on the controller but the Switch doesn't wake up. I separate the joy con and same thing. Going into Controllers it doesn't seem able to find either of them.