NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Throw in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and Mario Kart Live into the mix of new experiences in the past year and a half.

You wanted quirky innovation from EPD @Dcubed, the latter should be right up your street :grin:

The latter isn't being made by EPD (and neither is the former).

4 hours ago, Julius said:

It's been mentioned a bit in the other threads, but as has been discussed before, one of the only ways Nintendo might be able to keep themselves noticeable and competitive this Christmas is to announce a price cut to the Switch. We're 3.5 years in and still haven't seen a permanent price cut!

Yes, there's the Lite, but with the Series S confirmed to be selling for £249.99 when it launches in November, do Nintendo need a price cut? And, more importantly...how low do you they should go if they do? 

I think Nintendo need to do a price cut soon; but not quite yet.  If they do an Animal Crossing NH bundle, they'll still clean up this Xmas season; despite the next-gen competition.  ACNH really is that strong.

The price cut will most likely come in March 2021; which might also be when they announce Switch 2/Pro.

Edited by Dcubed

If there's any new hardware it'll be a Pro, not a Switch 2, why do that when the current Switch is flying off shelves.

24 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The latter isn't being made by EPD (and neither is the former).

I know the former isn't. I'm going to assume the latter is a joint effort between the Mario Kart team and Velan Studios. Regardless of who is developing the software, it's Nintendo who are pushing this.

Edited by Ronnie

4 hours ago, Julius said:

It's been mentioned a bit in the other threads, but as has been discussed before, one of the only ways Nintendo might be able to keep themselves noticeable and competitive this Christmas is to announce a price cut to the Switch. We're 3.5 years in and still haven't seen a permanent price cut!

Yes, there's the Lite, but with the Series S confirmed to be selling for £249.99 when it launches in November, do Nintendo need a price cut? And, more importantly...how low do you they should go if they do? 

I don't think Nintendo need to do anything with the Switch price. The Switch is quite a good secondary console - it's not like where if you have a PlayStation you're less likely to have an Xbox and vice versa, due to the overlap between them and the cost of annual subscriptions.

It also continues to sell well and will have some Mario titles released this year. Add to this, although the Series S is coming in cheap it's not as though there'll be a lot of (or any) exclusive killer software to play on it.

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I should go ahead and answer my own questions as well...

1. Streets of Rage 4 because it's my favourite game of 2020, and it just got a significant patch.
2. Not including Super Mario 3D All-Stars, I'm looking forward to picking up Hot Shots Racing as it looks like a very smooth arcade style racer.
3. Getting it day one, especially as it's out so soon.
4. I'm mostly interested in playing Super Mario Galaxy with a Pro Controller, but I'll load up Super Mario 64 first, then Super Mario Sunshine (why no GC pad?) , then SMG.

Yesssss boy! I can't wait for Hot Shots Racing, hope it plays as well as it looks!! And I'm secretly hoping for some mega cheesy Daytona-style music too. 

As for me, I only just recently finished Mario64 again so probably won't bother with that for a while but it would be lovely to play through Sunshine again. I'm not getting 3D All-Stars day one but I will pick it up at some point, saying that I'm not desperate for it or willing to jump through Nintendo hoops either so I'll just get it if I can but I'm not gonna chase stock store to store or haggle with scalpers. 

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 1

1) What games are people playing on their Switch at the moment? 

Paper Mario: The Origami King (early days so far, but liking the adventure part, not so much the battling)

2) What's the next game release you're looking forward to? 

Hotshot Racing, and it's out tomorrow, may put down that preorder price today.

3) How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? 

Not at all, if I can manage it.  My son may have other ideas, I'll keep quiet and hope it passes by.

4) Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

If I did, I'd look forward to Sunshine the most, but I'd probably play them sequentially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Astral Chain, Paper Mario: The Origami King and Yoshi Crafted World. I also still play Animal Crossing and Tetris 99 every day

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I can never decide which is my favourite 3D Mario game; it changes from one of the two Galaxy games to this. So the idea they its getting released again with extra content is fantastic news for me, I just wish it was out this side of Christmas. I can't think of anything else for the Switch I want outside of that.

I can't make up my mind on it. I think more should have been done with these titles other then upping the resolution and and improving the odd texture (which they kind of had to do anyway). I played Mario 64 so many times when it came out because of how much I enjoyed it, but the last few times I went back I seemed to get bored. I strongly dislike Mario Sunshine and the only way I'd play it again if it was completely remade, which it isn't. So the only game in the collection that I truly want is Mario Galaxy. Funny enough, had this just been Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 instead, I'd be getting this day one.

If I bought it, Super Mario Galaxy.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, S.C.G said:

1) Switching back to the thread topic, what games are people playing on their Switch at the moment?
2) What's the next game release you're looking forward to?
3) How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one?
4) Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

1) AllStars. Finished 1 and 2, halfway through Lost Levels, which has actually been much easier than expected. Did the 128 lives trick on 1-1 so not using rewinds, but I've only lost about 10 lives so far as of stage 5-1. The game is great to be honest, much better than I remember. It's no harder than Smeagol's Mario Maker levels :D Murder By Numbers is still getting rotation, the difficulty has massively spiked now, I'm close to the start of the final chapter. 

2) Hyrule Warriors 2. 100+ hours in the Wii U and 3DS games. The BOTW backstory makes this even more interesting. Such a shrewd move on Nintendo's part in making BOTW into a trilogy. While I'm annoyed, to some extent, that this is an asset flip and a sequel to a game that no one really asked for, I'm super excited to play it and learn about what happened 100 years ago... Day one. 

3) -1

4) I'm really keen to play both Galaxy games again, and I'd like to go back to Sunshine. I hope these games get a separate release and that they eventually port over Galaxy 2, but I'm not interested in this package as I've made clear countless times already :heh:

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Switching back to the thread topic...

1) what games are people playing on their Switch at the moment?

2) What's the next game release you're looking forward to?

3) How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one?

4) Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

1) My Switch is collecting a little bit of dust at the moment, but hey, at least what I'm playing on my PS4 is also available on the Switch! Really enjoying Final Fantasy IX right now :D

2) On the Switch, that'd be 3D All-Stars. Haven't played any of those games before, so looking forward to it! But as the next questions are also about that collection, beyond that I have some interest in Pikmin 3 Deluxe (whether or not I pick it up largely depends on if I'm in the mood for it when the end of October rolls around), and like most others here, for me Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity will absolutely be day 1! Just crossing my fingers that the PS5 doesn't drop on that same day, or I don't know what I'll do :laughing:

3) Guilty as charged :p

4) I mean, having never played any of them, I feel like it has to be 64 first! I'm looking forward to seeing the evolution of the games, so plan on going through them in order of release. Sunshine could be a blast of nostalgia, and I would like to line it up in time for me to play Galaxy in December. Seems like such a cosy game, so should be a great time around Christmas (I hope)! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t touched my switch in quite a while, I’m not even sure where it is to be honest.

Super Mario 3D All Stars!

Yep, already have my order in.

I think I’ll play through them in order, but I’m most looking forward to Sunshine at the moment. Not really sure why as it’s my least favourite of the three, I just really want to play it for some reason.

• Thanks 1

1. What games are people playing on their Switch at the moment

I haven’t played any since I stopped playing Animal Crossing. It’s no longer attached to my tv.

2. What’s the next game release you’re looking forward to?

I had a quick look on some upcoming lists but couldn’t really see anything.

3. How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? 

Nope

4. Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

Still not getting it

• Thanks 1

1) I'm playing Metro 2033 now after abandoning Hellblade a couple of weeks ago. Also managed to play A Short Hike a couple of days last week,

2) BotW 2, I guess, or Hollow Knight: Silksong. Nothing much coming out aside from indies. Will pick up some games from my wishlist in the meantime.

3) Nope. I have or have played the games.

4) If I were to get it, I would probably play SM64 because it's been a while.

• Thanks 1

1. What games are people playing on their Switch at the moment

Currently playing Bomb Chicken, Horizon Chase Turbo and I recently finished Super Castlevania IV in the Castlevania Collection.

2. What’s the next game release you’re looking forward to?

3D All Stars will be fun to play in between. I've still got The Wonderful 101 and Final Fantasy X and X-II remaster unplayed and I want to start these as well. But the one I'm looking forward to the most is Hyrule Warriors!

3. How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? 

How many people? Probably a couple of million if those pre-order stats from Amazon are anything to go by. :p I'm one of them.

4. Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

I'm looking forward to playing both Sunshine and Galaxy again, but I'll just start with 64.

• Thanks 1

1) Not been playing anything since I stopped checking in to Animal Crossing regularly. Been meaning to pick BOTW back up, but haven't had the motivation or the time recently.

2) Honestly not sure. I haven't been keeping up that much, so i'm not sure if there is anything that i'd consider a must buy. It depends on whether I end up completing some of the games on my backlog and see something that looks interesting.

3) Nah. I've played all three previously, and don't have a burning desire to play any of them again. Plus, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole FOMO time-limited aspect of them.

4) If i did somehow end up with a copy - Sunshine is probably the one I have fondest memories of, so i'd probably start that up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What games are people playing on their Switch at the moment?

None, outside of the occasional bit of Mario Maker 2 and 52 All Time Classics.  I’m on a retro gaming binge at the moment and have been since around April/May (outside of Paper Mario: The Origami King and Shantae & The Seven Sirens).

Speaking of which, I just got myself a copy of Soul Blazer and started playing it for the first time.  It’s great! Loving it so far! :D

What's the next game release you're looking forward to?

Pikmin 3 Deluxe (for the new content)

How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one?

Guilty.  Won’t be playing it for some time though most likely.  Unless the urge to play Sunshine takes me (played through SM64 and SMG again not that long ago; but it has been a while since I last played SMS)

Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

Super Mario Sunshine.  Really keen to see if they’ve addressed any of its many flaws!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

On 8-9-2020 at 3:50 PM, S.C.G said:

- - - -

Switching back to the thread topic, what games are people playing on their Switch at the moment? What's the next game release you're looking forward to? How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

Mostly just Animal Crossing, but also dipped my toe into Astral Chain, Bioshock collection, Overwatch and Spellbreak.

I’ve pre ordered All-Stars, Pikmin 3 and 3D World and will get Hyrule Warriors 2 and while I’m sure I’ll enjoy them all I’m not extremely hyped. I would be hyped by Prime 4 or BotW 2 but they seem far off. Will also be looking forward to Pokemon DLC, New Pokemon Snap, No More Heroes 3 and Bayonetta 3. Give me a new Starfox, F-Zero, Wave Race, Punch-Out!!, Excite Truck/bike, 1080, Eternal Darkness or Kid Icarus and I’ll never moan about Nintendo again for the next ten years or so.

Me and a lot of other people.

I guess I’ll play them in order, so 64 first.

• Thanks 1

1) Right now, I'm playing Octopath Traveler. Apart from daily Animal Crossing stuff, of course. Getting towards the end of that. Some of the bosses on that are just brilliant. Especially the Chapter 4 ones.

2) The one I'm most looking forward to is Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. More for the Hyrule Warriors aspect than the BotW focus.

3) Yep, getting a digital one.

4) Mario Sunshine, more from necessity for the N-E review.

The bundle we've all been waiting for, I mean who needs a Super Mario 35 Switch when you can have this?

BATTLE ANYTIME, ANYWHERE WITH THE NINTENDO SWITCH FORTNITE SPECIAL EDITION CONSOLE BUNDLE, HITTING EUROPE ON 30TH OCTOBER

Limited bundle includes exclusive blue and yellow Joy-Con controllers, special console and Nintendo Switch dock designs, and more

10th September, 2020 – It’s time to board the Battle Bus and dive into a 100-player Battle Royale anytime, anywhere, with the Nintendo Switch Fortnite Special Edition bundle, launching in Europe on 30th October.

This special bundle includes:

• Nintendo Switch console with a unique Fortnite design on the back
  • Exclusive yellow Joy-Con (L) and blue Joy-Con (R)
  • Nintendo Switch dock with a unique Fortnite design
  • Fortnite pre-installed
  • Wildcat Bundle download code, giving access to the Wildcat Outfit and two additional styles, a Sleek Strike Back Bling and two additional styles, and 2000 V-Bucks

Rm9ydG5pdGUuanBn

Since its launch on Nintendo Switch in June 2018, Fortnite has become the most downloaded game* ever launched on Nintendo hardware in Europe, with millions of players battling it out on the TV or in handheld mode every week.

The Nintendo Switch Fortnite Special Edition bundle, with a unique Fortnite design and exclusive yellow and blue Joy-Con, hits Europe on 30th October.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Does it come along with a free lawsuit as well?

I guess if you rob a store at gun point for it probably?

Not really focused on anything specific on Switch at the moment, just checking in on my AC island, some Mario Maker and the odd multiplayer game now and then.

BotW 2. I suppose the new Hyrule Warriors as well, but its release date clashes with other games I’m interested in, so it will have to wait.

No intention of getting it. I own all of those games already and if I wanted to replay them would do so on the original systems. Had Nintendo actually remastered the games I may have been tempted, but as it stands, nope.

It probably would’ve been Mario 64.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

1) Right now, I'm playing Octopath Traveler.

Is that actually any good/worth playing? There seemed to be a log of negative impressions on here.

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

Is that actually any good/worth playing? There seemed to be a log of negative impressions on here.

I put 30 or so hours into it before putting it down and getting lost when I came back to it.

It's a solid RPG, with great mechanics, amazing graphics and a superb soundtrack.

The issue for me was the story and the pacing. I don't like how it's broken up into 8 sub-stories. I found myself enjoying some quite a bit and being bored by others. It makes it worse if you cannot invest a lot of time in it over a short period. 

However, it's a lovely tribute to 16-bit RPGs and definitely worth playing if you have the time to put into it. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I put 30 or so hours into it before putting it down and getting lost when I came back to it.

It's a solid RPG, with great mechanics, amazing graphics and a superb soundtrack.

The issue for me was the story and the pacing. I don't like how it's broken up into 8 sub-stories. I found myself enjoying some quite a bit and being bored by others. It makes it worse if you cannot invest a lot of time in it over a short period. 

However, it's a lovely tribute to 16-bit RPGs and definitely worth playing if you have the time to put into it. 

Same with me. Got bored after 30 hours as all chapter 2, 3, and 4s were almost identical in the execution. And I couldn't be arsed to complete it for more than a couple of characters after realizing that.

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

BotW 2. I suppose the new Hyrule Warriors as well, but its release date clashes with other games I’m interested in, so it will have to wait.

No intention of getting it. I own all of those games already and if I wanted to replay them would do so on the original systems. Had Nintendo actually remastered the games I may have been tempted, but as it stands, nope.

It probably would’ve been Mario 64.

Copycat. You stole my answers!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Yeah, it's a pretty divisive game. The stories are a lot more grounded than your typical JRPG. But I kinda found it refreshing in that regard. Chances are that you fight some other person at the end of each chapter.

It does have it's noticeable shortcomings. The main ones for most people being that characters have almost no input on stories if it's not their own. I hate the term "immersion breaking" when it comes to games, but even I had to question that when one character got stabbed and left for dead during their plot and none of the 3 party members with them thought "Hey, maybe we should help?"

The dungeons are also pretty basic, and each chapter is structured in very similar ways. Get to town, "Oh no, something has gone wrong!", go through dungeon, fight boss, move on to next town"

For me, these negatives are massively outweighed by the positives! The visuals are gorgeous and the soundtrack is nothing short of a masterpiece.

But the battle mechanics are what carry the game for me. Shouldn't be surprising given that some of the Bravely Default Devs worked on this, but the Break and Boost system really add strategy to fights, even the random encounters.

I'm going through Chapter 4 at the moment. The bosses here are great. They all have their own little twist that force you to adapt or face a painful and quick death. (For example, there's one that prevents magic until their shield points are broken, and one where they have to be hit 30 times to be broken, but they're weak to almost every weapon, meaning it's a desperate race to use multi-hit moves before you get clobbered)

The Job system is a lot of fun. Not quite as flexible as Bravely Default. Each character has a predetermined job they can't change, but in Chapter 2, you unlock the ability to equip secondary jobs, allowing you to mix and match jobs for all sorts of strategies. And there's some really fun combinations that feel just a little broken if you figure it out. But in a good way.

So yeah, it's a solid RPG if you focus on the actual battling aspect. If you want a sweeping epic plot though, maybe look elsewhere.

(The optional boss you can fight after clearing all eight stories is crazy difficult though, grinding to level 99 ain't saving you there. Super satisfying when I beat it on my first playthrough)

• Thanks 1