NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They've only managed to make TWO entierly original games in the past three years! (Ring Fit Adventure and Animal Crossing New Horizons) That's horrendous!

Of their 6 studios

EPD 3 are working on BOTW 2
EPD 4 released Ring Fit Adventure less than a year ago
EPD 5 just released Animal Crossing
EPD 8 are presumably working on Odyssey 2
EPD 9 made ARMS, then onto Mario Kart Live?
EPD 10 released Mario Maker 2 a year ago

31 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

That's horrendous!

Indeed. I've used my Switch loads because of the thriving indie scene and because I've caught up on several old first party releases but after thinking about my time with the console...there's been nothing new to play for a long, long time now from Nintendo. It's sad, really...the Switch is a nice system and it sells like hot cakes, but it's been lacking significant first party support for quite a while now. Ports are nice and all, but come on...give us something new.

I really hope they launch a new Switch version next year with it a nice line up of new games (that are compatible with the current Switch model).

Edited by drahkon

49 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Of their 6 studios

EPD 3 are working on BOTW 2
EPD 4 released Ring Fit Adventure less than a year ago
EPD 5 just released Animal Crossing
EPD 8 are presumably working on Odyssey 2
EPD 9 made ARMS, then onto Mario Kart Live?
EPD 10 released Mario Maker 2 a year ago

They have been working on Bowser's Fury instead.

Mario Kart Live is also being developed by Velan Studios.

As for the rest? They're all asset reuse sequels (except Animal Crossing) that should not take up much time and manpower.  Hell, even Origami King was an asset reuse sequel that should rightfully have been finished at least a year ago!

It's all about WHAT they're making.  All of their studios have been leaning heavily on reusing Wii U games & assets (and unreleased Wii/Wii U titles).  There's almost nothing truly original here.

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I really hope they launch a new Switch version next year with it a nice line up of new games (that are compatible with the current Switch model).

That's my hope too. I think there's absolute merit to what @Dcubed has said about Bandai Namco, and that undoubtedly has had an effect, but as usual there is absolutely zero communication to the end user. It's always hush-hush with Nintendo. Usually that'd be fine, but in this situation (with nothing on the horizon), it's starting to wear thin.

This is made worse by the fact that their stock price and sales keep going up despite them doing bugger all. Where's the incentive to change? Maybe I'm in a minority of people, and I know there are millions of happy Switch owners out there who are either first timers or coming back from the Wii, but as I've said before, it's all be done at the expense of the fans who stuck with them during the Wii U. Of course most of the buzz about the Switch is positive, but the lonely 13 or so million of us who have seen all this shit before are drowned out by the hype and positivity and rightly baulk at the thought of giving Nintendo yet more money for old rope. I'm not buying Mario 64 for the fifth time. Even if Sunshine is there to "sweeten the £50 deal". 

If COVID is at all to blame, I still believe Nintendo should take the brunt of the responsibility. Yes, they're secretive. But they're also extremely archaic in how they operate and have proven time and time again that they struggle to keep up with the way technology and the world is changing. Sony and MS are both releasing a new console this year, and while there have undoubtedly been hiccups along the way, they've still delivered a deluge of news and hype (depending on your next-gen leaning) and kept the content flowing for their current systems. 

Looking at this year's release schedule makes me nauseous. Is that really the best they can do at they peak of Switch's lifespan? Are 6 ports in one calendar year really acceptable given the lack of original content? This is when I would've expected the Switch to hit its stride, instead Nintendo have let it chug along with a whimper going for the easy money every step of the way. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and I'm delighted that millions of people will get to play some truly exceptional games from their catalogue, but for me, it's come at a high price without anything really new or exciting to play. 

Who's to say if Nintendo's next big move is a Wii U type one (these things often come in cycles) that the ones who stuck with them from 2012-17 will still be there to do it all over again? 

• Thanks 6

23 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

This is made worse by the fact that their stock price and sales keep going up despite them doing bugger all. Where's the incentive to change?

That's the biggest issue in my opinion. No matter how much Nintendo fucks up, it doesn't matter...people happily spend the cash (and occasionally I'm part of them, see: me buying the anniversary collection).
So why should Nintendo change? But for a company that paved the way for many innovations...do they really wanna stay where they are? Stuck with an archaic online offering, stuck with the same IPs over and over and over again, stuck with porting their oldest games to every generation?
I hope not...

38 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They have been working on Bowser's Fury instead.

For three years?

Mario Kart Live is also being developed by Velan Studios.

True, it's likely a joint effort, but EPD 9 also worked on Mario Kart Tour + are probably working on the next console Kart too.

There's almost nothing truly original here.

That's an industry wide problem. Ports and remakes everywhere you look. Every big budget Playstation exclusive being a third person action game and/or a sequel. Halo, more Forza, more Gears on Xbox. It's happening everywhere, Nintendo are far from the worst culprits in that regard.

When you have two GOTY contenders on BOTW and Odyssey, doing more of the same for both is expected and frankly, what most gamers seem to want. Then throw in things like ARMS, Ring Fit Adventure, LABO, MK Live for originality. Sure their output this year hasn't been great, but last year was exceptional and Covid has obviously delayed their plans a fair bit.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

give us something new.

You mean like Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 51 Worldwide Classics? All in the last 15 months. 

• Haha 1

Honestly, take the fourth year of any console of the past 6 generations (bar Sega’s last two efforts) and it really highlights what a shocking year it’s been for Nintendo. 

I’m almost certain a new Switch is coming next year because there is no way they planned for this embarrassment out of anything other than necessity. Covid isn’t an excuse.  

Add to this they aren't even really putting any effort into graphically updating Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. You have to wonder what they have been doing.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheikah said:
1 hour ago, Nicktendo said:
Honestly, take the fourth year of any console of the past 6 generations (bar Sega’s last two efforts) and it really highlights what a shocking year it’s been for Nintendo. 
I’m almost certain a new Switch is coming next year because there is no way they planned for this embarrassment out of anything other than necessity. Covid isn’t an excuse.  

Add to this they aren't even really putting any effort into graphically updating Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. You have to wonder what they have been doing.

EPD 8 have presumably been making Odyssey 2, and Bowser's Fury? That's probably what they've been doing.

EPD 8 have presumably been making Odyssey 2, and Bowser's Fury? That's probably what they've been doing.

Why not get a different company to handle the re-releases? Like with Wind Waker HD they outsourced the updated textures to a third party.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Money Fight.gif GIF by Streamlabs | Gfycat

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Actually curious for someone other than me to analyse the number of games (1st, 2nd and 3rd party) per console each year over the last few years just to see how it varies. 

Without doing that it seems like Nintendo has an earlier spike and drops off quickly and others ramp up more slowly and end more slowly when it comes to first party at least, but that's pure speculation. 

I cba to do the research Ashley lol but from memory it does seem like Nintendo are always top heavy, GameCube, Wii and WiiU felt like they had a pretty similar path with a lot of first party releases their first 2 years, a major slow down in year 3 and then basically nothing but Zelda in year 4 with Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and BOTW. 

Also I'm out of the loop with this Namco stuff, what exactly happened in 2017??

Let's be thankful the Switch is the switch, just imagine Nintendo supporting a console and handheld right now. Pokémon Sword and Shield was arguably the big Christmas title last year which would have been for the handheld as well as the likes of 51 Worldwide Games and maybe Animal Crossing (that ones hard to judge). Their output really is unbelievably low, the failure of WiiU is almost a blessing because at least to the layman things look fine with the likes of 3D World, Pikmin and Xenoblade despite us all knowing it's a console version of Weekend at Bernies.  

Interesting... This was just uncovered from the Super Mario 35th Anniversary website...

FLCgkPe.jpg

Look at the Event Date...

Looks like the Mario 35th anniversary Direct was actually originally supposed to air 5 months ago... So that means that Nintendo's plans as a whole have been pushed back by at least 5 months.

Makes sense.  I don't think Nintendo originally planned on having a cheap ROM dump being their big headlining game for the year.  SM3DWDX was supposed to launch this year.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah thats been the general consensus, Covid has affected their plans big time. Think I read it was actually supposed to be a live stage show rather than a Direct and include stuff about their theme parks opening + the Mario film being made etc

Edited by Ronnie

Considering that Nintendo's internal development was already struggling well before COVID, I can't imagine that they must've been producing much of anything over these last 5 months or so (Jump Rope Challenge is about all they have been able to muster).  It's like all of their development was completely halted; even their capacity to put out a Direct has been stunted completely.

Doesn't surprise me too much that a company as beholden to Kyoto tradition as Nintendo would struggle to adapt I suppose...

It's been mentioned a bit in the other threads, but as has been discussed before, one of the only ways Nintendo might be able to keep themselves noticeable and competitive this Christmas is to announce a price cut to the Switch. We're 3.5 years in and still haven't seen a permanent price cut!

Yes, there's the Lite, but with the Series S confirmed to be selling for £249.99 when it launches in November, do Nintendo need a price cut? And, more importantly...how low do you they should go if they do? 

Don't think they need to do anything, really.

The Switch is the console you own additionally to either a Microsoft or Sony device.

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's been mentioned a bit in the other threads, but as has been discussed before, one of the only ways Nintendo might be able to keep themselves noticeable and competitive this Christmas is to announce a price cut to the Switch. We're 3.5 years in and still haven't seen a permanent price cut!

Yes, there's the Lite, but with the Series S confirmed to be selling for £249.99 when it launches in November, do Nintendo need a price cut? And, more importantly...how low do you they should go if they do? 

I think they may go for it. Remember, the Switch is the same price in the US. They will undoubtedly bundle in a game for Xmas or they will reduce the price by $50 or so. Same in the EU.

Regarding the U.K., I'd expect the same and a price cut of £50 to make it £229. 

Honestly though, I don't think they really need to do this. They don't have any (announced) big hitters coming up for Xmas outside the ports, but I think they're not after the same market. Yes, some parents will opt for the Series S, but I still think the Switch will sell like hotcakes regardless of the price.

My prediction is that the price doesn't move but we see a digital game or two bundled in.

Edited by Nicktendo

It seems like it'd be the smart move to offer a price cut this Christmas though, maybe lower the standard Switch to £250 and bundle in a game, especially if the rumours about a new model coming in 2021 are true. When did Nintendo's other consoles get price cuts? The only one I can remember really was the 3DS but that was really early and a necessity for making it a success.

While Nintendo don't need to sell the Switch at a cheaper price while it's still selling out everywhere, it might be a good move to cut the price slightly before the end of this year.

Either that or bundle in an extra game, or even an extra set of joy-cons, as I don't think those controllers have much perceived value any more, especially as it looks like in a lot of cases, you might even need an extra pair at some point down the line.

I haven't had any problems with either of my two sets of joy-con controllers, but I don't use them a great amount.

Certainly the Switch is a great console, which offers excellent value for what it is, but for anyone directly comparing it to the next gen consoles, it will never "win" that way.

I don't think it needs to now, it's not really about 'winning' anymore (even if it is) :p there's enough space for all of these consoles on the market, just about.

The number of people who end up owning all three machines will likely go down though, I think what you'll have is people either own a Switch and another platform from either Sony or Microsoft and a PC if their setup requires it, also depending on funds of course.

Personally, I'm grateful to own a Switch, a PS4 and an Xbox One, I hope to make them last as long as possible, along with my aging Windows 7 PC. :)

- - - -

Switching back to the thread topic, what games are people playing on their Switch at the moment? What's the next game release you're looking forward to? How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

As exciting as next-gen gaming can be, what's happening right now is just as important, if not moreso; It's nice to hear about people playing and enjoying games in the moment. :peace:

6 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

1) Switching back to the thread topic, what games are people playing on their Switch at the moment? 2) What's the next game release you're looking forward to? 3) How many people are actually picking up Super Mario 3D All-Stars on day one? 4) Which game are you looking forward to playing first?

1. Nothing, but I did finish the best Zelda game since The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, i.e. Cadence of Hyrule, recently
  2. Since there's nothing else to look forward to for the Switch, it's Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  3. Not sure how many people will do that, but I will :p
  4. Super Mario 64
  • Thanks 1

I should go ahead and answer my own questions as well...

1. Streets of Rage 4 because it's my favourite game of 2020, and it just got a significant patch.
2. Not including Super Mario 3D All-Stars, I'm looking forward to picking up Hot Shots Racing as it looks like a very smooth arcade style racer.
3. Getting it day one, especially as it's out so soon.
4. I'm mostly interested in playing Super Mario Galaxy with a Pro Controller, but I'll load up Super Mario 64 first, then Super Mario Sunshine (why no GC pad?) , then SMG.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 4:29 PM, Ronnie said:

You mean like Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 51 Worldwide Classics? All in the last 15 months. 

Throw in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and Mario Kart Live into the mix of new experiences in the past year and a half.

You wanted quirky innovation from EPD @Dcubed, the latter should be right up your street :grin:

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1