NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I think they could map the directional swings to one of the sticks without having to redesign things too much. Say maybe putting it on the right stick and having you hold the right trigger then move the stick.

Nope.  People have already tried that in Dolphin.  Doesn’t work.

Analog sticks are limited to two axis; Wiimote Plus uses 3.

Well hopefully they'll do something smarter than we can come up with then. They already ruined the game by giving it shitty motion controls, it's about time they fixed that error.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

They already ruined the game by giving it shitty motion controls, it's about time they fixed that error.

Nah, mate. Not ignoring that one. Skyward Sword has my favourite combat in all of Zelda history. It rewards calm, measured swings and flailing randomly will just get you battered. No other Zelda swordplay comes close to the depth Skyward Sword has.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Nah, mate. Not ignoring that one. Skyward Sword has my favourite combat in all of Zelda history. It rewards calm, measured swings and flailing randomly will just get you battered. No other Zelda swordplay comes close to the depth Skyward Sword has.

It was mostly a joke. Yes I do think they are shitty motion controls but that's because I think all motion controls are shitty outside of VR. I get that others like them and that's fine.

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see BOTW2 next year, or at least I think that's the plan.

And given Paper Mario had a two month reveal > release, who knows what's on the way...

What franchises do we have left for them to do something with (that they reasonably would, so no F-Zero)? Granted we might get sequels like BOTW but I can't think of a typical lifecycle franchise we've either not seen or know is coming already. Which means either something completely new (possible), ports/remakes (guaranteed) or sequels to franchises we've already seen on the switch. 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Oh look, another port.

In the past 14 months: Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Daemon X Machina, Ring Fit Adventure, Pokemon Sword/Shield, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 51 Worldwide Classics.

Yes ports are on the way this year too, it's ok.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

What franchises do we have left for them to do something with (that they reasonably would, so no F-Zero)? Granted we might get sequels like BOTW but I can't think of a typical lifecycle franchise we've either not seen or know is coming already. Which means either something completely new (possible), ports/remakes (guaranteed) or sequels to franchises we've already seen on the switch. 

Mario Tennis
Wario
Star Fox
Donkey Kong
Pikmin
2D Mario

?

Sequels to BOTW, Odyssey, maybe ARMS, a Splatoon spin-off, something new, who knows.

Edited by Ronnie

My question was genuine as I was sure there were things I was forgetting (such as Donkey Kong) but we've already had Mario Tennis, we're getting Pikmin (albeit a portmake), which leaves 2D Mario, DK and the unlikely Wario (although a WarioWare would work well). 

The rest are sequels which I said we will probably get, just feels like Nintendo has burnt through their usual hitters and combined with Covid slowing things down its starting to feel like we're reaching the Switch's sunset. But that's usually when the best games of a console are launched I guess!

9 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

@Ashley a new warioware game would be good, did you maybe here anything about one?

Nah just thinking about franchises we've not seen yet on Switch.

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, @Ashley, did you? LEAK SOMETHING!

My incontinence is under control but thank you for asking

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Ashley said:

we've already had Mario Tennis

Sorry I meant Mario Golf.

Between that, 2D Mario, an original Pikmin game, Donkey Kong, WarioWare, there's a few franchises still to go. Without even counting things like Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Punch-out, Pilotwings or F-Zero.

Even Mario Kart could get an original game on Switch at some point. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry I meant Mario Golf.

Between that, 2D Mario, an original Pikmin game, Donkey Kong, WarioWare, there's a few franchises still to go. Without even counting things like Star Fox, Pilotwings or F-Zero.

Even Mario Kart could get an original game on Switch at some point. 

Pikmin 4 is Nintendo's Half Life 3. It'll be out in a few decades 😉

I don't see Pilotwings and F-Zero making a comeback, much as I may want. The fact Miyamoto constantly uses the latter as an example of a franchise that won't come back until they think of a way of using the controls (or however he phrases it) doesn't give me much hope. I'd also love to see a Wave Race revival but not expecting it.

Just remembered we're getting Pokémon Snap 2. That's a relief. 

I genuinely think Miyamoto could well have been talking about Hey Pikmin! which came out on 3DS, when he was talking about Pikmin 4 coming soon or whatever. It was the fourth Pikmin game to be released, and surely we would have seen Pikmin 4 by now if it were a real thing.

Edited by Tim B

I can see Rhythm Heaven, Art Academy, Nintendogs, Style Savvy, Wii Sports, WarioWare, Mario Golf, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong getting a(nother) game on Switch.

I’d prefer the usual suspects (Excite, Wave Race, F-Zero, Strikers, 1080, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Advance/Battalion Wars) but I don’t think any of those will happen.

a totally new Pikmin or Star Fox, or a successor to Ice Climber, Doshin, Wrecking Crew or Eternal Darkness would be more than welcome too but I don’t see that happening either.

Edited by markderoos

We could see another Splatoon game on Switch. If not Splatoon 3 then some kind of spin off.

@markderoosdo you mean a new eternal darknes game ( a totalally differenet one from the first one )  or a remaster ?

Edited by euroninfan

A new mainline Pokémon game will almost certainly be coming in November 2021 as well, don't forget. 

2 hours ago, Julius said:

NOW IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE GO AND POKE THE BEAR THAT IS SQUARE ENIX AND TELL THEM TO GIVE US A FINAL FANTASY I - VI COLLECTION, OR JUST STRAIGHT (not mobile, don't you dare) PORTS OF GOOD VERSIONS OF THOSE GAMES, that'd be really appreciated. 

Well since we are simply seeing all these other ports on Switch this would be pretty cool!  Suddenly you’d have virtually the full Final Fantasy mainstream games on a Nintendo console!

Then we could get Square to add local multiplayer to Crystal Chronicles too! 😃🤞

56 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

@Ashley why do you have your wii console number, can i still use my wii online?

Because I never bother updating my profile. The service shut down years ago. 

49 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Well since we are simply seeing all these other ports on Switch this would be pretty cool!  Suddenly you’d have virtually the full Final Fantasy mainstream games on a Nintendo console!

Then we could get Square to add local multiplayer to Crystal Chronicles too! 😃🤞

Yeah, precisely! I don't think it's totally unreasonable now that they've finished porting over games which they had already ported to other consoles, I feel like now is just as good a time as any to start cashing in on the history of Final Fantasy on current gen consoles. 

Look, I love having the NES and SNES Classics to play some of those titles, but if I want to play good versions of those games - you know, THE series which popularised JRPG's in the West? - buying them on outdated consoles with a few cases where there are poor loading times (PS3, Vita), or much worse those horrific smartphone ports, shouldn't be the only alternative to hacking them onto things like the NES and SNES Classic. I mean, a collection like this I would be willing to throw money at for days:

wrl09ayfgmc21.png

Not to forget the other mountains of cash they're sitting on for potential ports, like Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger ports. And then there's stuff which never got released worldwide, or are that rate they might as well not have been (Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross, etc.). 

I never have a problem with the idea that third parties aren't necessarily bringing the biggest and newest games to Switch, because they really don't have to. But look, if we got Collection of Mana, we can and should absolutely get a Final Fantasy I - VI collection in my mind, so when it comes to third parties, my issue is more with companies like Square Enix holding so tightly onto so many of their IP's for no apparent reason. Since when do Square Enix not want my money?! 

1 hour ago, euroninfan said:

@markderoosdo you mean a new eternal darknes game ( a totalally differenet one from the first one )  or a remaster ?

A sequel 

Out of curiosity, do any of you think the Switch will get a first party title from Nintendo before the end of the year that isn't a port of some kind? Generally by this time of year in the past, we would have a good idea of what will be out before Christmas. Things are obviously different now with the effects of Covid slowing down development of everything, but with with Nintendo doing things such as announcing Paper Mario just two months before release back in May, I wonder if something like that will happen again before the year is out. I won't be buying Pikimin 3 or Super Mario 3D world (if that gets announced). I am unsure about Skyward Sword also as my Wii U is still set up and I can play my Wii copy on that. I'd like to think we have something else to look forward to before next year outside of Pokemon Snap (which I am looking forward to).