NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Apparently a lot of GTA V sales are people rebuying the game because you can get better deals on the game and shark card bundles than just shark cards themselves.

15 minutes ago, bob said:

I reckon anyone who buys a console these days might pick it up because you can get it for cheap, and it's fun to mess about in. Plus, it's multi-multi-platform, so the console base for it is absolutely massive.

Yeah, that sounds about right. It's still nuts to me though, they've already sold something like 130 million units and it still makes the top 10 every month. It's insane. 

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Apparently a lot of GTA V sales are people rebuying the game because you can get better deals on the game and shark card bundles than just shark cards themselves.

Imagine that could contribute to the overall figures, but I think these charts are physical retail copies only? I think most if not all of the bundles are on the virtual storefronts, but I could be wrong about that. 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. It's still nuts to me though, they've already sold something like 130 million units and it still makes the top 10 every month. It's insane. 

Imagine that could contribute to the overall figures, but I think these charts are physical retail copies only? I think most if not all of the bundles are on the virtual storefronts, but I could be wrong about that. 

Yes the majority of the sales I was talking about are digital but there are physical bundles available as well.

• Like 1

I though that sales charts include both physical and digital, just that Nintendo doesn’t communicate their digital sales. That’s sometimes a reason why some of their games end up lower than they should.

• Like 1

I get the feeling that to chart physically you really don't have to sell many copies at all. It probably only really means anything if multiple games come out in the same week. Even then, there are some games that make more sense to get digitally (e.g. online-focused games) so the comparison isn't always neat.

43 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I get the feeling that to chart physically you really don't have to sell many copies at all. It probably only really means anything if multiple games come out in the same week. Even then, there are some games that make more sense to get digitally (e.g. online-focused games) so the comparison isn't always neat.

This is an interesting point. I wonder just how much sales figures can be relied upon if it doesn't include the digital version.

Because I sure as hell buy digital more often when a console is portable. Whereas on the WiiU, most of my retail purchases were physical.

Even bigger numbers from Nintendo games then if it's the same with NPD and sales figures for everyone else is physical and digital.

Even bigger numbers from Nintendo games then if it's the same with NPD and sales figures for everyone else is physical and digital.
I'm sure there's a meaning here but I couldn't parse what you're trying to say.

18 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
43 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm sure there's a meaning here but I couldn't parse what you're trying to say.

With the NPDs both physical and digital sales are taken into consideration. However, Nintendo don't release their digital sales figures so for Nintendo games the only figures available are physical sales.

Essentially this means that Nintendo games are underrepresented as not all sales are including to create the rankings, unlike games from all the other publishers.

I believe the only time Nintendo release official figures that include digital sales is during their quarterly (not sure if they're that frequent) reports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markderoos said:

I though that sales charts include both physical and digital, just that Nintendo doesn’t communicate their digital sales. That’s sometimes a reason why some of their games end up lower than they should.

Yeah I think that's the case for NPD's and other major charts, but the UK chart, or at least the one referred to in the article, is all physical. 

In total there are six Switch-only games in the UK physical retail Top Ten. The others being Mario Kart 8: Deluxe at No.3, Minecraft on Switch at No.5, Paper Mario: The Origami King at No.7, Ring Fit Adventure at No.9 and 51 Worldwide Games at No.10.

They do go onto mention in the article as well how some games currently on sale are potentially being hampered by distribution and stock issues as a result of COVID, which isn't too surprising. And definitely don't want to take anything away from Nintendo, their figures are nuts. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is guaranteed to be a place or two higher than they always say, it's crazy!

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Something I think Nintendo does better than just about every other major publisher is be transparent about how many units they've sold, I feel like it really helps to inform what we should perceive as success as video game fans. Yes I know it's only quarterly and for games that they've published, but I think it's a much more informative statistic to know how many units have been sold vs. $/£ sales; with the box office for example, while ticket prices do go down as the weeks go on for blockbusters which are normally frontloaded with a premium for actually supporting the film and seeing it on its release day/weekend, there isn't much potential for variation in ticket prices for a blockbuster film after a certain point. Compare that to video games and while, yes, Grand Theft Auto V has absolutely killed it when it comes to sales, that game is nowhere near its original RRP even without sales! Compare that to Nintendo who are stubborn *almost to a fault) about keeping their RRP's fixed, it speaks a lot to the brand and their confidence in their products. but it also means it would be nearly impossible to compare $/£ sales with that of other major publishing arms, just with how quickly their RRP generally falls off when compared with Nintendo.

I would LOVE to know how many copies of some of the other biggest games of the year, like The Last of Us Part II or Final Fantasy VII Remake, have sold so far, instead of getting an update a weekend after launch, and then at the end of its first quarter, and even then it can sometimes be the nebulous "we have sold in or shipped X million units". That's great, but all it really tells us is that your marketing team killed it in convincing retailers to buy a lot of copies of your game which might not end up being sold to consumers anyway. I was listening to an old podcast the other day just to have some background noise, and they were talking about how Mafia III shipped 4.5 million units in its first week. That's insane! But mainly because I guarantee half of those copies were not sold to consumers in that first week.

And even when we do get these sales figures early on, beyond that? Almost always complete radio silence. 

By the way, same goes for their historical consoles figures being honestly and openly shared with us too. PlayStation have done this too with their consoles, and I think it's great. I know Xbox "lost" the generation, but shying away from sharing these figures just makes it so much more difficult to dig into how the Xbox has really done. The Switch might have only just passed it in sales, and we would have no idea! It's awesome that we have these figures as reference points, and before anyone mentions that Nintendo has shareholders to answer to, so do a lot of these other major publishers. I think it's something worth highlighting anyways, nothing better to me than being able to go "wow, Xenoblade deservedly sold really well! And isn't it kind of nuts that Animal Crossing has passed the GameCube?!"

Why can't Sony tell me that The Last of Us has outsold the Vita? 

P.S. I own a Vita, so before anyone turns up trying to torch me, know I'm just teasing :p

• Like 2

Well, this seems promising. Zelda trademark registered last month seems to potentially be pointing towards an onslaught of Zelda goodness next year for the 35th Anniversary, assuming that this year's Mario Anniversary games still come to fruition. 

I would really like to play Wind Waker for the first time, so I'm going to be selfishly optimistic here :p

Edited by Julius

It's funny to use Mario as an example here. Look at all the Mario goodness we've got so far... 

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's funny to use Mario as an example here. Look at all the Mario goodness we've got so far... 

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.

This is basing a rumour off of another rumour. Which is just asking for disappointment.

• Haha 1

Phil Spencer while guest-starring on Gary Whitta's Twitch show had some nice words about Nintendo...

"...the pure thing about what Nintendo does, is they think about games, and they think about their hardware and their platform all as one thing, and build those experiences – and I know the teams there pretty well – and I think it's magical the way they're able to create a complete Nintendo experience on their devices, and this experience I'm looking at right here, in my hands, on my Switch, is Animal Crossing. From the Switch running it to the game itself to the way you go to other peoples islands..."

"In entertainment business, you know, most things don't turn out to be huge successes so there always has to be some amount of surprise, but Nintendo is just masterful at what they do, and I've said it before, I think they have the strongest first party pedigree out there and strength, and they're a jewel for us in the games industry and something we should protect."

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/nintendo_is_a_jewel_in_the_industry_and_has_the_best_first-party_pedigree_says_xbox_boss

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 3

Clearly not satisfied with only having Banjo in Smash, he's going for a second character!
The shrewd goit!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Confirmed for Holiday 2024

:weep:

They'll be advertising for a new logo designer next..

37 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

@nekunandometroid prime 4, out in 2024 are you serious?

Nah, he's joking about that. But don't expect it any time soon.

5 hours ago, nekunando said:

It was Nicktendo who said 2024, euroninfan and Glen-i :heh:

I wouldn't have been so generous :blank:

Metroid Prime 4, vapour-ware until 2030 release date on the Nintendo Switch Pro confirmed. :D

Metroid Dread will launch alongside it as an apology for the long development cycle of the game, it will have link-up features (via save file) similar to Prime/Fusion.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD will launch in 2024 at the end of the current Switch console's life-cycle.

But this year is the 35th anniversary of the Metroid series, surely we'll get something which will coincide with that?

Of course, we'll get the Switch port of the Metroid game on the 3DS which everyone has been clamouring for... Metroid Prime: Federation Force! ;)

(All joking aside, I would actually play that, chuck in Metroid Prime Hunters (somehow) and Metroid Prime Pinball, call it the Metroid Prime: Stopgap Collection)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Confirmed for Holiday 2024

:weep:

Honestly...I think they should push it to Holiday 2024 at this point. Get their Prime Trilogy work completely polished and out in the next year and a half, and then get this to either bookend the life of the Switch, or launch with the Super Switch/Switch 2/Switch On-Switch Off.

How they've managed to bottle the production of a sequel to one of their most critically acclaimed series like this is completely beyond me, though. How can you still be looking for a lead producer over a year and a half after the last update we got stated the old work had been effectively canned? 

I know that Metroid hasn't sold the best in the past, but we all know full well that a Prime Trilogy on Switch would crush the past sales of the games, so why that's seemingly being delayed too while this mess is going on in the background with 4, I can't say. They need to start bringing the series back into focus before 4 even becomes part of the conversation again, we have access to a couple of the older games on the NES and SNES Online apps, but I don't think that's nearly enough. 

The wait continues I guess ::shrug:

• Thanks 1