NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Yeah, the reports simply said it won't be a prominent fixtures in Nintendo's future plans. Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp are still decent earners for them so there is no way they are going to cut off support for those games immediately, it just means that in future Nintendo won't be releasing games that are based around gacha mechanics and microtransactions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably due to the heavy amount of leaks from the past releases, Nintendo has decided to not hand out pre-release review codes to smaller vendors, even though their track record is great. That means that in the future, we won't see reviews from many sources before the game is out. 

This really sucks and it kind of kills smaller websites and communities a bit, while also limiting the consumers to get a broad idea of how good a game is before its release. I hope Nintendo turns around on this decision.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 1

It's a shame, but Nintendo is going to continue to be Nintendo... we can't blame them for wanting to protect their IP's but, at the same time, they won't get as prompt coverage as they would have gotten if they had been a bit more trusting with a few more sites.

N-Europe will still cover Nintendo's games of course, in the case of a lot of games, many of us will still be buying the major releases and of course, we will endeavour to get written reviews up on site as close to just past the release date as possible. (bar a few notable exceptions, such as Animal Crossing which we are still planning on covering, just after a bit of time has passed)

We've been an independent Nintendo site for a long time now, for the majority of the site's Twenty-Two year history, so I can't say that this is going to impact on us that much, but I do recognise that this is a significant change in policy for Nintendo, one which we're not that pleased about, but we recognise and respect it for what it is; a policy change.

At least we all know where we stand, N-Europe will continue to provide Nintendo-based news, reviews and features when we can, we have been getting some codes from indie publishers, from which some fantastic reviews have been produced, we have some more in the works and I'm very grateful for the reviews of titles which some of our reviewers have written from games which they purchased themselves; such as the recent Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition review written by @Glen-i which I've just noticed, has received a really nice comment from someone only a day ago, which is really excellent to see. :smile:

There is mention of Metacritic in the comment, this is something which we are actively looking into and while we make no promises, there is a possibility of N-Europe reviews returning to being ranked on Metacritic, which would be useful for the site, if it happens but it is by no means the be and end all.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to N-Europe in any form. That includes staff members, forum members, anyone who passively reads, comments or just posts the odd update here and there, or news tips... anything and everything really, you're all part of a community which I'm grateful for and proud to be a part of, so let's do our best to stick together, look out for each other and enjoy playing games and sharing thoughts about them whenever we get a chance to. :peace:

[/AnotherOneOfThosePostsWhichAlwaysTurnsOutToBeLongerThanItProbablyNeedsToBe] :p

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I have never been called "Mr. O'Brien" online once in my life. That person is proper polite!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I have never been called "Mr. O'Brien" online once in my life. That person is proper polite!

Will do so too from now on.

Limited Run Games had a stream recently where they showed off their planned releases...

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling
Carrion
Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Demon Turf
Grandia HD Collection
GRIS
Katana ZERO
Megadimension Neptunia VII
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Observer
PixelJunk Eden 2
Return of the Obra Dinn
Samurai Jack: Battle Through Time
Shantae (GBC)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge (DSiWare)
Super Meat Boy Forever
The friends of Ringo Ishikawa
The Mummy Demastered
To The Moon
TowerFall
Trover Saves The Universe
Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
Xtreme Sports (GBC)

I'm glad to see that Bug Fables is getting a physical release... right after I now own it digitally, oh well, that was always going to happen. :p

Castlevania Anniversary Collection, I knew that was coming (probably) so I'm glad I waited on that.

The original Shantae for GBC is getting a physical re-release on the GBC and on the Switch, plus the DSiWare title, Shantae: Risky's Revenge. :D

Aside from that? I might pick up Grandia HD Collection and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Limited Run Games had a stream recently where they showed off their planned releases...

I'm glad to see that Bug Fables is getting a physical release... right after I now own it digitally, oh well, that was always going to happen. :p

Castlevania Anniversary Collection, I knew that was coming (probably) so I'm glad I waited on that.

The original Shantae for GBC is getting a physical re-release on the GBC and on the Switch, plus the DSiWare title, Shantae: Risky's Revenge. :D

Aside from that? I might pick up Grandia HD Collection and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2.

They are also doing a physical release of Ys Origin which I didn't even though was coming to the system. There's a lot in that list that I'm interested in, but due to what was discussed in the Streets of Rage 4 thread, I'm not sure I want to support them. But they are making very hard to not to.

Yay, Ys Origin is getting a release through European distributor so I don't have to go through Limited Run Games.

• Thanks 1

There seems to be a new firmware update. It’s small so I’m assuming it’s the typical stability update they roll out every little while. 

Rumours are flying about a Direct on Monday, July 20th. However, I'm sceptical - has there ever been a DIrect on a Monday?

I don't think so no. But next week would be the right time for a Direct or at least a trailer drop of something. Paper Mario is out now and for the rest the release calendar is rather empty.

I agree. Paper Mario was announced on May 14th - just a few days before the release of Xenoblade. It would make sense for them to announce something very soon because we know just about nothing about upcoming games now.

Bit dubious as it's not been announced today. Could just be dropped on YouTube with no warning though I guess

Only 5 Nintendo titles that we know are coming and none of those with a release date.

Bayonetta 3

Metroid Prime 4

Breath of the Wild 2

Detective Pikachu (sequel or remake)

New Pokemon Snap

We’ll probably get a Direct in the next few weeks.

Now isn’t the greatest time to announce games... not right before the big Series X event and the PS5 Price Announcement.

I'm betting BotW2 will come next year for Zelda's 35th anniversary.

ResetEra will have a meltdown if there isn't a Direct in two days, let alone "probably in the next few weeks" lol. All insiders seem to be claiming "soon".

Are people expecting a PS5 price announcement soon? I assume that was still a couple of months away. I don't think Nintendo cares what the others are up to anyway.

Edited by Ronnie

I think most people are expecting the prices for next gen consoles to be announced by the middle of August at the latest. It's just a waiting game between to see who blinks first between Sony and Microsoft - they both know that consumers will immediately balk at the high prices so they don't want to be the one to go first and take the brunt of the vitriol. I doubt MS will announce any pricing in their showcase unless they are deliberately taking a big loss on the Series X just to undercut Sony.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nintendo's recent approach to reveals, it's pretty cool that Paper Mario went from announcement to release in just a couple of months but I like having a bunch of announcements in one go, it makes the release schedule seem more exciting - right now it's hard to find anything tangible to be hyped on. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markderoos said:

Only 5 Nintendo titles that we know are coming and none of those with a release date.

Bayonetta 3

Metroid Prime 4

Breath of the Wild 2

New Pokemon Snap

@markderooswhat have you heard about Metroid prime 4?

11 hours ago, markderoos said:

Bayonetta 3

Metroid Prime 4

Breath of the Wild 2

New Pokemon Snap

I can see Bayonetta and Pikachu dropping with little notice but Snap feels like March, BotW late next year and Metroid 2022. I could see it being the Switch's swansong.

Or it could release in November 🤷

15 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

@markderooswhat have you heard about Metroid prime 4?

Nothing more than we have known for a while: it almost surely won’t release this year, maybe next.

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I can see Bayonetta and Pikachu dropping with little notice but Snap feels like March, BotW late next year and Metroid 2022. I could see it being the Switch's swansong.

Or it could release in November 🤷

It’s hard to predict, but I hope they postpone it as long as necessary for it to be as good as Prime 1 was.

BotW 2 next year sounds about right, just like march for New Snap. Pikachu I can see releasing somewhere around october this year. Bayo I think 2021.

Then there the rumoured games like Pikmin 3 port, Mario 3D collection (or remakes) and that Star Fox Grand Prix game.

There’s a lot of franchises that would make sense that haven’t had an entry on Switch yet, like Rhythm Heaven, WarioWare, Mario Golf and Wii Sports and there’s more than enough potential in franchises that have skipped one or more generations of consoles by now, like Excite Truck/Bike/Bots, Strikers, Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars, F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080 amd Endless Ocean, amongst others.

I can’t imagine their studios aren’t working on some of those titles already.

Edited by markderoos

2 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:
  Potential direct spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

h8RL3q2.png

That list seems almost too real for it not to be true.

Some cool things in there, which would be some nice surprises if they are true, so I'll say no more but I couldn't not look at that list. :D

15 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

@Nicktendo Where did you find all these's games release's?

A really cool place where people are always friendly, welcoming and polite. A place where no one ever tells a lie. 
4chan.org. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Weird 1