NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

6 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

I agree.  Although with their record profits last year (albeit for one game) I can’t see that happening anytime soon 🙁.

The more mobile titles they release that fail to even get close to the lightning-in-a-bottle situation that GO is, the less appealing chasing it will become. Remember how they chased the gacha market with Pokémon Masters? Thankfully, that was an utter dud.

PMD: Rescue Team DX performing really well is an encouraging sign and with New Pokémon Snap being announced and Detective Pikachu on the horizon, I'm a bit more hopeful than I was a year ago.

Well, unless a future mobile title does well, then we'll probably be right back to square one again.

• Like 1

I remember FE Heroes being quite profitable a couple of years back. Any numbers for that one title?

The prediction for Gacha games is that they have roughly a 3-year lifespan, and judging from how the service is doing, I think FEH is past its peak, but it would be nice to know raw numbers.

Hmm hopefully this means they will update the Switch version of Pokemon Home to have all of the features of the mobile version. Kinda annoying switching between devices. xD

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Anybody here who's going to give Ninjala a go in two days?

I probably will.

Had a very quick go on the last beta test but it wasn’t enough to really get to grips with it. It seemed pretty good though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, drahkon said:

Anybody here who's going to give Ninjala a go in two days?

I was super interested in it... until it got turned from full priced retail into F2P.  I will never play a F2P game; even if it's great, just out of sheer principle.

... then I found out that the original single player component is actually being sold as a flat fee again.  Then I became interested again :) 

30 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I was super interested in it... until it got turned from full priced retail into F2P.  I will never play a F2P game; even if it's great, just out of sheer principle.

... then I found out that the original single player component is actually being sold as a flat fee again.  Then I became interested again :) 

I take that as a...yes? :p 

For you:

Anyways...we, over here in central Europe, will be able to play the game tonight at 4 am...Yeah...no.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

Thought my Switch was toast earlier on! :eek: 

Had been playing Animal Crossing (it was in sleep mode inside the dock) went to resume the game and... nothing. Black screen of doom. Took the Switch out of the dock and noticed that it was insanely hot, turns out the vents at the back were quite dusty too. :woops:

So yeah, gave it and the dock a good clean, let it cool down and then restarted it. It seems to be ok, although I lost a little bit of my “progress” in Animal Crossing. :heh: 

Switch + hot weather + obscured vents = not good. :hehe: This also might have been responsible for the slow motion final smash malarkey last night. ::shrug:

Anyway, have setup a little usb powered fan to help stop my Switch from melting now. Would suggest people check their systems out for dust/overheating!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RedShell said:

Thought my Switch was toast earlier on! :eek:

Tell me about it. So many breakfasts where I accidentally bite the wrong thin-

9 hours ago, RedShell said:

it was insanely hot, turns out the vents at the back were quite dusty too. :woops:

Oh, nevermind, then.

• Haha 5

Movie streaming is finally coming to Switch

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weird 1

What? Why can't I find any other source of that? 

So this means that in the future, you can only buy your Nintendo games digitally from Switch eShop? 

Or does this only concern ShopTo? 

Edited by MindFreak

19 hours ago, MindFreak said:

What? Why can't I find any other source of that? 

So this means that in the future, you can only buy your Nintendo games digitally from Switch eShop? 

Or does this only concern ShopTo? 

That's exactly what it means...

It's bollocks.  I've saved tons of money buying digital games from retailers like Shopto and all!

The ride was fun while it lasted :( 

So this applies to all retailers. NintendoLife got a statement:

After careful examination of the evolving European marketplace in recent years, Nintendo has decided to end the availability of download codes for its own-published software via retailers, effective 1st July 2020.

Customers will still be able to purchase Nintendo eShop funds, Nintendo Switch Online memberships, and add-on content such as the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Expansion Pass, at retailers across Europe. Download codes for Nintendo Switch software from other publishers will also still be available.

We’re always investigating new avenues, and will continue to work on new methods to bring Nintendo eShop content to as many players as possible.

As I understand it, you can still buy a physical box with a download code in it. 

I've never taken advantage of it myself because I prefer to buy physical copies but it's still disappointing news. Apparently Sony have been doing it for a while so there is precedent for it, doesn't make it any less shitty though

There is some online whispering about a potential Nintendo game announcement this week. After Paper Mario: The Origami King on 17th July the release schedule is completely empty. Something has got to be announced soon either way.

I could see a Twitter announcement video for a game to come out in either September or August.

Your guess is as good as mine...2D Metroid? Something Starfox-related? Other than a cameo in the floptastic Starlink: Battle For Atlas, it feels like that’s a franchise which needs to make its mark on Switch. Pikmin 3 Deluxe? The Mario remasters and/or Super Mario 3D World?

It’s probably none of the above. In fact, I hope it’s something that takes us completely by surprise.

Well, their E3 slate of games was supposed to have already have been announced by now; so they could announce literally anything from that fold.

Rightfully, the next game they announce should be Pikmin 3 DX, but it could also be SM3DW DX (or whatever this Mario Collection thing is supposed to be). 

Really curious to see the rumoured Mario collection, iconic games being remastered? Yes please.

It's a shame they didn't get to do a Mario anniversary live event like they were supposedly planning, sounds like that would have been a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Yeah I really hope the Mario remasters turns out to be true. I’d gladly pay full price for every title in the main Mario line if they were done properly.

• Like 2

No game announcement this week, it seems. However, next week currently looks totally free for that, right? No big game launches, DLC, updates or anything like that.

I'd be amazed if Nintendo launched Paper Mario without letting us know what's coming next, even with the Switch is selling as well as it possibly can at the moment.

Edited by Tim B

4 minutes ago, Tim B said:

No game announcement this week, it seems. However, next week currently looks totally free for that, right? No big game launches, DLC, updates or anything like that.

I'd be amazed if Nintendo launched Paper Mario without letting us know what's coming next, even with the Switch is selling as well as it possibly can at the moment.

It's best to never assume anything with Nintendo, nor to listen to rumours of announcements inbound. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Sad 1

@Glen-i Great news:

In addition to generating revenue and profit, our basic strategy with the mobile business is to expand the number of people who have access to Nintendo IP. For example, we have broadened the fan base for Nintendo IP like Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Mario Kart, and in doing so increased our points of contact with consumers. The mobile business is also strategically important for the expansion of Nintendo Accounts, which support our relationships with consumers. Sales from the mobile business do not account for a very large percentage of Nintendo's overall business, but the mobile business itself is significant in that it provides a wide range of consumers a way other than Nintendo Switch to continue to enjoy playing games using Nintendo IP over a long period. When global distribution of the Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp app began in the fall of 2017, for example, it introduced many female consumers and US consumers to the Animal Crossing series, and those same consumers later went on to purchase Animal Crossing: New Horizons and a Nintendo Switch console. And starting with Mario Kart Tour, mobile applications have proven to be a great opportunity for people to create Nintendo Accounts. In ways like these, the mobile business with its multiple objectives is contributing to the sustainable growth of the overall Nintendo business.Nintendo and DeNA agreed to a business and capital alliance in March of 2015, thinking we could combine our strengths to create business opportunities targeting global markets. Our collaboration has two purposes. One is to develop and operate the kind of core system necessary to provide original Nintendo games for smart devices and Nintendo Switch, including a system for Nintendo Accounts. The other is to develop mobile apps that make use of Nintendo IP and operate those services. The trust between companies and between individuals has deepened and we have built good relationships in the more than five years since we started these efforts. As I mentioned earlier, one of the goals of the mobile business is to create long-lasting ties with customers via Nintendo Accounts. We are establishing that through our collaboration with DeNA and will continue with those efforts.

Mobile is here to stay.

It's a shame that Nintendo will continue to go this route...make apps with predatory mechanics to make money and get people hooked. I thought this was beneath them.

• Sad 2

Not sure what you expect Furukawa to say to investors and shareholders, mobile gaming is the holy grail for them. All they're talking about here is how it drives people to the core of their business. No way would they publicly just announce they're stopping development.

Insider reports have talked about the company moving away from it and releasing fewer games from now on.