NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

13 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Röki's out on July 23rd. New trailer:

Only on PC for that date though.

Gutted about the lack of date for the Switch version as it looks great. Hopefully it won't be too long in coming after the PC version.

Sadly there was no news on Disco Elysium. They simply announced a release on the Epic Game Store with nothing on the console ports which I'm disappointed with. Trying to decide whether to take the plunge with the PC version or not at this point.

Scourgebringer was announced as coming to the Switch during the show though. It's got a lot of good press and the reviews on Steam for it are good.

• Like 1

Oh, that's a shame. Didn't see that from the trailer so thanks for that. 

Nintendo Switch was once again the best-selling hardware platform of May in both unit and dollar sales. Nintendo Switch unit sales were the highest for an individual platform in a May month since the Nintendo DS in May 2009.

Year-to-date dollar sales of Nintendo Switch remain the highest of any hardware platform in US history. The previous high was set by the Nintendo Wii in the year-to-date period ending May 2008.

Genuinely insane stats, especially with hardware shortages the last couple of months

• Like 1

Genuinely insane stats, especially with hardware shortages the last couple of months

Would we use the word 'insane'?
  • Like 1

Don't think the link's working properly @bob

The image linked is a supposed screenshot of a PlayAsia pre-order page for SM64 coming to Switch on 11th August:

Eac27pcUMAAtzo9?format=jpg&name=large

I've just had a quick nose around on the site and can't see it anywhere, so could just be a photoshopped effort unless it's been taken down? Also the cover seems a bit weirdly thrown together: the Mario image is just from the end of the first Odyssey trailer when Cappy's eyes pop out I'm pretty sure, the star and logo look pretty lazily tacked on, but there's an actual hint of some effort there. Which is weird compared with their other pre-order pages, such as Metroid Prime 4's just being the logo on a blank Switch game case background. Also, apparently the  screenshots are from a wide-screen emulator hack. 

I'm calling a fake on this one even being a legitimate screenshot of the PlayAsia site, but I'm still optimistic that we'll see 64 come to Switch this year. Fingers crossed! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's obviously fake.

Nintendo wouldn't just release an up-scaled version of a Nintendo 64 game for 35 bucks.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Julius said:

Don't think the link's working properly @bob

The image linked is a supposed screenshot of a PlayAsia pre-order page for SM64 coming to Switch on 11th August:

Eac27pcUMAAtzo9?format=jpg&name=large

I've just had a quick nose around on the site and can't see it anywhere, so could just be a photoshopped effort unless it's been taken down? Also the cover seems a bit weirdly thrown together: the Mario image is just from the end of the first Odyssey trailer when Cappy's eyes pop out I'm pretty sure, the star and logo look pretty lazily tacked on, but there's an actual hint of some effort there. Which is weird compared with their other pre-order pages, such as Metroid Prime 4's just being the logo on a blank Switch game case background. Also, apparently the  screenshots are from a wide-screen emulator hack. 

I'm calling a fake on this one even being a legitimate screenshot of the PlayAsia site, but I'm still optimistic that we'll see 64 come to Switch this year. Fingers crossed! 

I think the date might be right (hope so, nice birthday present!) but maybe someone was bored and they made a quick photoshop job on the actual listing. Also there's no way they won't charge full price for this. Unless it's literally just a straight port with no work done to the game.

Does anyone think there will be an improved Switch or new system announcement soon? With the discontinuation of the 3DS this is one of the only times in recent memory that Nintendo have had all their eggs in one basket. Though I guess their mobile games could perhaps be classed as a second pillar these days akin to the GameBoy line of yesteryear 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Does anyone think there will be an improved Switch or new system announcement soon? With the discontinuation of the 3DS this is one of the only times in recent memory that Nintendo have had all their eggs in one basket. Though I guess their mobile games could perhaps be classed as a second pillar these days akin to the GameBoy line of yesteryear 

I was thinking about this only yesterday, I think there is a market for a Switch with more power, a focus on docked play and just general hardware improvements made.

I'm not really sure if it will be announced soon and whatever it is, it can't segment the market, it will still play Switch games.

With the Switch Lite, I just see that as another option, you're still playing the same games, but you no longer have the ability to play on the big screen.

As for another console entirely, separate to the Switch, I can't see that happening and I'd mostly class the mobile games as a profitable experiment for the developers/shareholders.

Whatever is next for Nintendo, I would say that it has to play Switch games, as the console is just too successful for this to not happen.

I do look at the Switch though, I notice how warm it can get while playing more demanding games and even with proper ventilation, I often question the life of the console.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josh64 said:

Originally I was on Team Switch Pro; figured for certain that it would happen.

But now I feel that we’re too far into the Switch’s lifecycle to get a Switch Pro.  If it was going to happen, it would’ve happened last year I reckon.

The Switch’s successor is probably going to come out in 2023; that’s really not far away now, especially if it ends up being another March release.  At this point? I think Nintendo are just going to ride it out.  Besides, most games coming out between 2021-2022 will probably be cross-gen titles anyway, so the Switch’s 3rd party support should still be decent until the successor comes out in 2023; so there isn’t a huge incentive to put out a stop-gap upgrade now (especially with COVID ruining everything right now too).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Would we use the word 'insane'?
I mean they're pretty good, but let's not be silly now, I wouldn't say they're insane.

Kingdom hearts melody of memory for Switch (and PS4 and Xbox One)

Edited by Helmsly

On 11/05/2020 at 11:28 PM, Ashley said:

Meso disappointed but meso understand

June 23rd, 2020... £14.99 :D

• Like 2

Might be a question with an easy answer, but: Is there an option to pause downloads? All I can find is "cancel download" and I'd rather not...

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Might be a question with an easy answer, but: Is there an option to pause downloads? All I can find is "cancel download" and I'd rather not...

All I know is that if you use online features in any way, it'll automatically pause any downloads you have going.

Why do you want to pause it?

Just now, Glen-i said:

All I know is that if you use online features in any way, it'll automatically pause any downloads you have going.

Why do you want to pause it?

I want to play CoD but with a game downloading in the background it's going to lag like crazy thanks to my wonderful internet connection. Guess I'll just turn off the Switch if there's no way to pause the download...thanks, Nintendo, for implementing a useful feature.

Just now, drahkon said:

I want to play CoD but with a game downloading in the background it's going to lag like crazy thanks to my wonderful internet connection. Guess I'll just turn off the Switch if there's no way to pause the download...thanks, Nintendo, for implementing a useful feature.

Ah yeah, seperate console? Fair enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Jeez just commit to something drahkon. 😋

That's not how I live my life...

In reply to "Nintendo are fully focused on mobile right now" comments on here earlier in the year...

“In a sense, Nintendo’s enormous success on console reduced the need and the pressure to put resources into mobile.”

Nintendo has tested various revenue models for its smartphone games, including one-time purchases for Super Mario Run and subscriptions for Mario Kart Tour. Both apps have fallen short of market expectations in terms of revenue, according to Kazunori Ito of Morningstar Research.

Nintendo’s dimmed enthusiasm for smartphone games is driven not only by disappointing revenues and unsatisfying monetization options but also by the limitations of the platform. The company believes its franchises shine brightest when coupled with designed-by-Nintendo controllers and it’s never been fully comfortable with the touchscreen-only interface of a phone.

“New smartphone games will come, but it’s very likely these will be just alibi releases to appease shareholders,” said Toto.

Nintendo unlikely to further pursue major mobile efforts

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

In reply to "Nintendo are fully focused on mobile right now" comments on here earlier in the year...

Nintendo unlikely to further pursue major mobile efforts

And nothing of value was lost.

In all seriousness though, the less big franchises exploiting the free to play market, the better.

Now if only Pokémon Company would follow suit...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

And nothing of value was lost.

In all seriousness though, the less big franchises exploiting the free to play market, the better.

Now if only Pokémon Company would follow suit...

I agree.  Although with their record profits last year (albeit for one game) I can’t see that happening anytime soon 🙁.

I don’t believe Nintendo will be releasing a Switch Pro either anymore.  Not with both Microsoft & Sony releasing their latest powerhouses shortly.  They could get away with previous handheld revisions due to the lack of competition.