NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

No way, they got Evan Smith in this?!?!

I hope you can unlock different costumes in it though. I would defo want to play as Evan wearing the black hoodie rather than the very very dark brown t-shirt.

• Like 1

I played it at the start of the year, it is a lot of fun but it wasn't quite my thing - it never quite clicked with me how to figure out the solutions, I ended up looking up quite a few of them to solve the levels. From what I know of your preferences @drahkon I think you would get a lot out of it though, you really liked The Witness didn't you? You'll probably love Baba if you loved that

• Thanks 1

It was good, but you really had to focus on it.

I thought it would be a good puzzle game to play a few levels while watching TV, but the difficulty ramps up really quickly, and you properly have to focus on each level to get the solution.

I think i only did about 50 levels out of 600.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Anyone here played Baba Is You?

Is it a good puzzle game?

It's the best puzzle game I have ever played. But it's really, really hard and some levels have only one solution. It's a lot like programming so keep that in mind, if that's not your thing this won't click. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Anyone here played Baba Is You?

Is it a good puzzle game?

It's awesome, but fucking hard!  haha. I believe patches made some puzzles easier, but I haven't look at it since. mechanics are genius though.

50 minutes ago, killthenet said:

From what I know of your preferences @drahkon I think you would get a lot out of it though, you really liked The Witness didn't you? You'll probably love Baba if you loved that

Yeah, I loved The Witness. :) Thanks for the impressions.

11 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

It's the best puzzle game I have ever played. But it's really, really hard and some levels have only one solution. It's a lot like programming so keep that in mind, if that's not your thing this won't click. 

Never learned anything about programming so I have no idea what to make of that statement :D

I've been looking for a hard puzzle game. Been digging Picross S but it's a little samey (which is not really a criticism given that it's a Picross game :laughing:) and the difficulty is all over the place. Some puzzles are easy and I solved them in 2 minutes, some of them took me 10 minutes to solve.

Looks like Baba Is You might be worth the 8€.

I never completed Baba is You, which is very natural for the type of the game, I think. Put about 10 hours into it and then put it down and didn't pick it up again. But this reminded me of it and I need a break from Witcher 3, so I fired it up again and yeah, still great. The solutions to some of the puzzles are just so satisfyingly clever and creative. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

The solutions to some of the puzzles are just so satisfyingly cover and creative. 

Wanted to go to sleep 45 minutes ago but I bought and started it...

My thought process: "Hm...seems easy enough...but...wait...win...wall...is? YES! I'M A FUCKING GENIUS!"
Granted, it was the very first level. :D Now I'm stuck in The Lake - level 4 :laughing:

Love it. This is right up my alley. :peace:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may be of interest to you, [mention=229]bob[/mention].

Aww yiss.

Gunna use this to my advantage in the turnip markets!

Yeah, Baba is You is absolute genius.  A must play for anyone who even remotely likes puzzle games! Legit mind blowing stuff! :D 

Just now, MindFreak said:

Oh, drat, @drahkon - Baba is You has just now received a 25 % discount!

It was reduced by 25% in Germany (and in the Norwegian eShop, which I usually use since it's a bit cheaper :p) yesterday :)

14 minutes ago, drahkon said:

It was reduced by 25% in Germany (and in the Norwegian eShop, which I usually use since it's a bit cheaper :p) yesterday :)

Nice! It was just announced in the weekly downloads today. 

But then a heads up to everyone else that the game has a discounted price. 

No Direct planned for June? 

Shame, because Nintendo has been really consistent in my opinion with their E3 Directs and presence since the Switch launch, but I totally get it. I don't see them just uploading a bunch of trailers to their YouTube channel either, so I wonder when we'll next see one? 

*cough* July 1st *cough* :p

Edited by Julius

Separate from Covid, a couple of (actual) insiders like Imraan (Game Informer/Kinda Funny) are saying Nintendo are moving away from general Directs anyway and won't be doing them as frequently. We'll see I guess.

Tbf the whole community culture around them has gotten pretty toxic in the last couple of years. Any tweet they do is met with hundreds of "WHERE'S THE DIRECT?!!?!" type replies, people counting down announcements on Era, etc... 

I'd be concerned there's bigger problems if they can't even pull together a presentation.

Is it either gonna happen later or they are just gonna drop info on Twitter? We hardly know what games are coming for the second half of the year, BoTW2 and Metroid Prime 4 are still ways off probably, the only thing rumoured for now are the Mario remasters, which to be honest I don't want only those to be what's released for the rest of the year.

34 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Tbf the whole community culture around them has gotten pretty toxic in the last couple of years. Any tweet they do is met with hundreds of "WHERE'S THE DIRECT?!!?!" type replies, people counting down announcements on Era, etc... 

Sadly that's the case for anything, Analogue are constantly hounded for Pocket news. It must suck being the social media team.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Separate from Covid, a couple of (actual) insiders like Imraan (Game Informer/Kinda Funny) are saying Nintendo are moving away from general Directs anyway and won't be doing them as frequently. We'll see I guess.

It's funny how things change. I remember people not being happy that Nintendo were going towards Directs over live presentations at E3 over 5 years ago. Now they're something everyone looks forward too throughout the year

I'll be disappointed if that rumor of them moving away from Directs turns out to be true, in fact I can't understand that decision at all. There isn't really a better way of putting that information out. It did seem odd to me that they didn't have a Direct in so long though, before the coronavirus pandemic there was a huge gap between the last major direct and March seemed odd.

It's a difficult one. They could do something, even if it's mostly footage based and some at-home presenter (or hell, they could just take a camera operator and presenter into the office and keep distance) but I could see them being worried about the quality/appearance of it. Or maybe the current situation has just affected their plans so much they're reticent to announce anything.

But yeah, I can't see what else they're going to do other than just release a press release via email.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

It's funny how things change. I remember people not being happy that Nintendo were going towards Directs over live presentations at E3 over 5 years ago. Now they're something everyone looks forward too throughout the year

I'll be disappointed if that rumor of them moving away from Directs turns out to be true, in fact I can't understand that decision at all. There isn't really a better way of putting that information out. It did seem odd to me that they didn't have a Direct in so long though, before the coronavirus pandemic there was a huge gap between the last major direct and March seemed odd.

I'd still take a live presser over a Direct. 

I'd say it's not so much to do with getting the information out there and more the fact that game release plans have been completely thrown out the window. It's hard to have a Direct if you're not sure when a game will be finished or getting launched. 

• Like 1

Reports suggesting that Japanese companies struggling with the whole 'work from home' thing, much more so than Western devs.

41 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I'm happy with either approach but I think a decent chunk of people would still prefer they do a live presentation at E3. As for Directs in general though, they've obviouslly been a huge success, to the point where everyone is doing them now, in a shamelessly similar style too in some cases. I watched Google attempt it after their "It's time for another Stadia Connect!" tweet (:blank:) and it was painful.

Be interesting what they do next but I can see them testing one-off announcements by Twitter while the world is in lockdown and see how that goes. Maybe the occasional mini Direct for third party or indie stuff.

Edited by Ronnie

https://venturebeat.com/2020/04/30/no-nintendo-direct-planned-for-june-due-to-work-from-home-hurdles/

No Nintendo Direct planned for June due to work-from-home hurdles

Nintendo is telling partner developers it’s not going to hold one of its Nintendo Direct video events in June. The publisher has had a June Direct to correspond with E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) every year since 2013. And before that, it held annual stage presentations. But complications brought about from Japan’s work-from-home order as part of its attempts to mitigate COVID-19 are forcing Nintendo to push back its schedule.

Nintendo was putting together a June event. The company was lining up partners and was planning to unveil its first-party schedule for the rest of 2020. That included highlighting the Mario franchise’s 35th anniversary, which it’s going to celebrate with the release of some classic 3D Mario games on Switch, according to various reports.

But now, the company is far less certain. If it holds another Direct, it may not come until the very end of summer.

Nintendo is not unique in its struggles to adapt to a work-from-home model. That’s especially true in Japan, where a number of companies were not prepared for this kind of shift. And even weeks after Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe enacted a state-of-emergency, corporations in the country are still trying to catch up. It turns out that you can’t remold Japanese business culture in a handful of weeks.

The issue is that while many people outside of Japan view the country as on the cutting edge of technology, this isn’t the case will all aspects of its business culture. In a story in The Washington Post, reporter Simon Denyer explains that many IT departments and corporate strategies haven’t changed in Japan since the 1990s. Companies still regularly use fax to send documents, and they have “little awareness of cloud computing or video conferencing tools.”

But that tech aversion extends beyond the workplace and into people’s homes. As Yuri Kageyama writes for the AP, “many Japanese lack the basic tools needed to work from home.” This includes personal computers, but often people don’t even have Wi-Fi.

The slow embrace of the cloud and other tools, however, is likely less about a fear of technology. Japan places supreme importance on conducting business with face-to-face meetings. Decision-makers throughout the Japanese economy believe that they cannot show proper respect without appearing in-person.

Nintendo is working through how to maintain its culture while also keeping its workers safe. But that’s going to take time. The publisher is also just not sure how to produce a high-quality Direct outside of a studio. That’s something it may figure out, but again, it’s not going to rush through that to meet a June timeframe for an E3 that doesn’t exist.

From Eurogamer:

Nintendo is yet to nail down a new date for its rescheduled E3 announcements, but publishers have been told not to wait if they wish to make their own reveals individually.

The expectation is that Nintendo's reveals will now come late in the summer - much closer to that big September anniversary.

17 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Reports suggesting that Japanese companies struggling with the whole 'work from home' thing, much more so than Western devs.

Get America to do it then...