NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

A Switch firmware update is now available. Nintendo is now distributing version 10.0.0, which includes some major features.

Among the new functionality includes bookmarks for news items, the ability to transfer software data between the internal memory and SD card, an option to remap the controller buttons and a new section in User Settings for Play Activity Settings. Animal Crossing: New Horizons has also received some new icons. And there’s some stability improvements as well.

• Like 4

Full patch notes

• Added a bookmark feature to News.
  • This feature allows you to bookmark your favourite news items.
  • A maximum of 300 news items can be bookmarked.
  • An internet connection is required to view bookmarked News items.
  • News items that are no longer available cannot be viewed, even if they were bookmarked.
  • Added an option to transfer software data between the system memory and an SD card.
  • Users can now transfer downloadable software, update data, and DLC from the system memory to an SD card (and vice versa).
  • Note that save data and some update data cannot be transferred to an SD card.
  • Added an option to remap the controller buttons.
  • Analog stick and button configurations can now be changed for each paired controller.
  • Custom configurations can be saved as favourites in System Settings > Controllers and Sensors.
  • Custom configurations are stored on the Nintendo Switch system.
  • Configurations can be customized for the following controllers: Joy-Con (L), Joy-Con (R), Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Button configurations can also be customized on the Nintendo Switch Lite system.
  • This feature is not available for other controllers.
  • On each system, up to five favourite custom configurations can be saved for Joy-Con (L), five for Joy-Con (R), five for Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Five configurations can also be saved as favourites for Nintendo Switch Lite.
  • Added a new section in User Settings for Play Activity Settings.
  • The options for "Display play activity to:" and "Delete Play Activity" have been moved from Friends Settings to the new Play Activity Settings.
  • Added new selections to the lineup of user profile icons.
  • Select from 6 new icons from the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game for your user.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22525/~/nintendo-switch-system-updates-and-change-history#v1000

Edit - Joycons also have a firmware update,but you have to download it manually from the system menu.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 2

Wow! Button mapping is huge!

Edit:

Fucking finally! I can finally swap my sticks for FPS games, and aim with the left stick like God intended! WHOO.

There's now also an separate page for online multiplayer game invitations, hope to see that getting used.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 2

remapping controllers and being able to transfer data from the systems memory to SD (and vice versa) is pretty great.

• Like 1

Damn, some pretty cool updates in there. Button remapping is massive, as is transferring software data between the console and SD card. 

Definitely many QoL things I'm sure many of us still want to see come to the Switch (more themes/options for customisation, 3DS/Wii U-level of logging console activity, etc.), but this is - I think - the biggest step we've seen Nintendo take with one of these updates so far, and if so, that's pretty awesome. 

• Like 3

Also, just playing my daily dose of Tetris 99, and a prompt appeared in the top left of the screen, just like it does telling you who’s online, and it was for an information announcement that Switch maintenance is happening at 9am (my time). Cool.

• Like 2

Button re-mapping is pretty big tbf, I'm surprised they included it. Was still hoping for an activity log, maybe next time.

And "Stability improvements"? The Switch OS is the snappiest, cleanest, most easy to use modern OS I've used, don't think it's crashed or lagged once on me in 3 years. But sure, add more stability I guess.

Edited by Ronnie

Nice to see some controller features being added. Shame it’s not a way to manually adjust the control stick deadzones though, as surely that could alleviate some of the Joy-Con drifting issues. Hell I’d be fine with setting up my left control stick as a glorified D-Pad if it meant the thing was at least useable again! :hehe: 

Also, that was so not cool how they took the piss in the news article for this update:

”if you catch my drift!”

:indeed:

• Haha 2
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, RedShell said:

”if you catch my drift!”

:indeed:

I was almost going to screenshot that.

So one guy in a discord server I’m in got his Nintendo account hacked and had £100 spent on Fortnite v-bucks. Checking Twitter seems to suggest this is widespread at the moment. Make sure your accounts are locked down with two-factor authentication and that you remove any payment methods you don’t really need from your Switch. PayPal seems to have been used in most cases.

Also, a WiiU revival may be on the cards *prays in Fils-Amieish*

• Like 2

The resetera thread about the above seems to be pointing towards the possibility of a 'Pro' model (docked only), which would make 100% sense imo.

The new Mariko chip that's in the latest Switch model is capable of much more power (not quote XBO but enough for games like Mario and Zelda to easily hit 1080p, unlike 900p which they currently do). The only reason the Switch doesn't hit those levels of power is because of cooling and battery concerns...A docked only variant would make a lot of sense as they wouldn't need to worry about battery performance. 

We could essentially end up with the following:

Switch (£280)

Switch Lite (£199)

Switch (docked only) (£199, or even less as they'd save money not having to worry about a cooling solution, internal battery and Joycons).

Just speculation of course, but the last time a software update revealed something (Mariko), we did get an updated Switch.

If a docked-only model existed I can't see them calling it "pro" because while the internal specs may be better on the surface you're saying 'it can do less (i.e. not handheld)'. I'd imagine it would be called something like Switch Home.

12 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Switch (docked only) (£199, or even less as they'd save money not having to worry about a cooling solution, internal battery and Joycons).

And no screen! Could be quite the saving indeed...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

If a docked-only model existed I can't see them calling it "pro" because while the internal specs may be better on the surface you're saying 'it can do less (i.e. not handheld)'. I'd imagine it would be called something like Switch Home.

Yeah, a Switch Home or equivalent would be a better name. Essentially it would be similar to the PS TV Sony launched a few years back, but with some upclocking on the GPU and CPU.

Ultimately, more form factors makes sense. I imagine that there's a large segment of Switch owners who are willing to buy new hardware every couple of years. 

20 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Yeah, a Switch Home or equivalent would be a better name. Essentially it would be similar to the PS TV Sony launched a few years back, but with some upclocking on the GPU and CPU.

Ultimately, more form factors makes sense. I imagine that there's a large segment of Switch owners who are willing to buy new hardware every couple of years. 

Once again proving how the PS Vita walked so the Switch could run :p 

• Like 1

The trouble is Nintendo need to sort their shit out in terms of cloud saves for ALL their games and have a way to easily switch between using the ‘Home (pro)’ version and the handheld. 

Now I know this is exactly what the original is, but if it was seamless between the two then I would seriously consider selling my original and then picking up both a Lite and a home (Or using the original exclusively as a handheld). 

Animal Crossing is a great example where I’m regularly playing in both docked and handheld modes, so whilst I would jump at the chance to get a more powerful switch if it was TV play only then I would give it a miss. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Eddage said:

so whilst I would jump at the chance to get a more powerful switch if it was TV play only then I would give it a miss. 

Same for me, I use my Switch as a handheld about 70 % of the time and would very much miss that. And since I wouldn't be able to notice any difference between 900p and 1080p, it wouldn't be enough of a boost for me to buy it, even if it were to be undocked as well. 

14 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Same for me, I use my Switch as a handheld about 70 % of the time and would very much miss that. And since I wouldn't be able to notice any difference between 900p and 1080p, it wouldn't be enough of a boost for me to buy it, even if it were to be undocked as well. 

I think for me the main benefit would be for games like Xenoblade or Zelda, especially the former which definitely struggled in many areas. I don't exactly have a huge TV but I definitely think there's a market for it (especially in the U.S where virtually everyone has a huge TV) but utlimately price is a big factor.

As @Eddage points out, cloud saves is also a factor. 

I honestly don't want a docked-only pro. I'd still get it but..

While I rarely play handheld, I still like the option of using it. I play 99% docked probably, though I recently bought some turnips in bed while I wasn't awake yet. :indeed:

At launch I didn't care about handheld at all, as I wanted a new console, but obviously I've come around to that, and I like having the option of taking it with me. A docked-only Switch sounds as stupid to me as a handheld-only Switch (oh wait..). Especially when that happens, I can see some devs cutting corners even more, and don't even consider handheld mode. You'll get even more not optimized games.

So yeah, I want a pro, but not a docked-only one.

The portability of the Switch is a massive selling point for me. Before the lockdown, I'd use the Switch in handheld probably 90% of the time. 

Like Edd said, if the online/cloud infrastructure was there then I could get on board with the idea of a home only Switch which was capable of higher resolutions and whatnot, as long as I could easily pick up and continue playing the same saves on a portable Switch.

A home only Switch could also lead to a slippery slope of games that only work on the home only version, effectively creating 2 platforms, which is completely counter to the strategy Nintendo was going for to begin with. And for me personally, the Switch will then just become an inferior version of the other consoles, rather than something that actually does something different.

4 minutes ago, Zell said:

A home only Switch could also lead to a slippery slope of games that only work on the home only version, effectively creating 2 platforms, which is completely counter to the strategy Nintendo was going for to begin with. And for me personally, the Switch will then just become an inferior version of the other consoles, rather than something that actually does something different.

Hopefully it would be more like what PS4 Pro is to PS4, and X1X is to X1. All systems run all games, just the beefier models run at higher framerates/resolutions.

Although to be honest, it makes sense for it to be just another PlayStation TV. A cheap, no frills, home console version that is no more powerful than the handheld version. It would be nice if it was a more powerful console though, because even though handheld mode is nice there's no doubt I spend more than 95% of the time playing it in my house. And if I'm in my house, I'll be damned if I play it on that small screen.

It's been talked about on here before about how Nintendo doesn't rely on crunch culture but here's a recent quote from an anonymous programmer:

Nintendo developers are allowed as much time as they need to be satisfied with the quality of the game before its release, according to a company programmer, who asked not to be identified because he’s not authorized to comment publicly. The additional time given to improve New Horizons accidentally landed it right in the middle of widespread lockdowns and shelter-at-home orders as the world grappled to rein in the spread of the novel coronavirus. For many, the experience of the pandemic and the escapism the game has provided will be indelibly linked.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-14/nintendo-s-animal-crossing-is-the-biggest-hit-of-the-lockdown

• Like 1

A leak from the Crysis website has revealed a Crysis Remastered is coming - and it's coming to Switch. The leak is just a poster that's referenced in the cookies.

Furthermore, Weekly Jump in Japan has revealed the existence of Jump Force Deluxe Editon, which includes the main game and the first season pass content, and it's coming to Switch later in 2020.