NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

I kind of assumed Odyssey 2 was happening but if these remakes/remasters are happening, then I wonder if the Mario team might be working on something else. A proper 3D Donkey Kong game?

I feel like the lack of paid DLC for Odyssey means it has to be a sequel. The game was received so well and they probably have a ton more ideas for the capture mechanic. 

But yeah, these remasters throw a spanner in that. Unless whatever new game they're working on is a 2021 thing, with BOTW 2 maybe.

I'd like to believe they'd release double packs, but this is Nintendo, they know they can just sell every game separately for £50 and they'll sell 5+ million of each. Unless they've not done too much work to them I'd expect standalone releases, one every month or two maybe.

4 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

This has clearly come from Nintendo imo. The high level sources pretty and the confidence pretty much suggest it.

They're all about secrecy and revealing big things like this on their own terms though?

Edited by Ronnie

9 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

HD remasters of 64, Sunshine, G1+2 on one disk would be quite something

Particularly as the Switch doesn't use disks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I feel like the lack of paid DLC for Odyssey means it has to be a sequel. The game was received so well and they probably have a ton more ideas for the capture mechanic. 

But yeah, these remasters throw a spanner in that. Unless whatever new game they're working on is a 2021 thing, with BOTW 2 maybe.

I'd like to believe they'd release double packs, but this is Nintendo, they know they can just sell every game separately for £50 and they'll sell 5+ million of each. Unless they've not done too much work to them I'd expect standalone releases, one every month or two maybe.

They're all about secrecy and revealing big things like this on their own terms though?

They are known to do this though. Remember when they basically released the Switch's technical specs via Eurogamer months before they even revealed it?

Every high level journalist and publication revealing this information at the exact same time without any prior leak on Reddit or some random YouTuber pretty much suggests that Nintendo gave them the info but didn't want them to release it until they had approval. It's better to do this than risk of leak on online like their previous Directs have.

This also gaurentees an even bigger audience on Nintendo's next Direct or similar style event. 

Yeah plus we do have [period of time until it's officially released] to then speculate, offer up ideas, discuss which Mario games are the best etc. It prolonges the dialogue. 

It's the same reason Google leak their phone details slowly over months before the official reveal. It creates attention. 

8 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Every high level journalist and publication revealing this information at the exact same time without any prior leak on Reddit or some random YouTuber pretty much suggests that Nintendo gave them the info but didn't want them to release it until they had approval.

Fair enough I've not looked into it enough. I figured it was one source and all the others reported on it. It would be a good way of responding to people's concerns they don't have much this year without actually announcing anything, yet.

Never realised it was commonly known that Nintendo leaked the specs to Eurogamer, I figured they just had someone on the inside who got them the info.

46 minutes ago, Jonnas said:
  • You just know they don't count Super Mario Land 1&2 as mainline Mario games (unfortunately), and even if they did, it makes no sense to "remaster" a Game Boy game. I imagine they'd release those as part of a compilation, or as part of a future Game Boy Online service (like the ones we already have for NES and SNES). Either way, I wouldn't count those as titles to remaster.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, if remastered, would likely share the effort. Any difficulty they solve for one, it's solved for the other one. They count as 1.5 games at the most.
  • 3D World is Wii U, so it's practically Switch already. I'll be surprised if that one isn't finished by now.
  • 3D Land depends on 3DS 3D. It's not happening on the 3D-less Switch.

So that leaves us with 6.5 games to remaster (1 Gamecube game, 2.5 Wii games, 1 DS game, 1 3DS game, and 1 N64 (or DS) game). The GC/Wii games should be straightforward jobs (unless they want to fully remake them), while upscaling the two (maybe three) handheld games would be the most demanding, but feasible to complete within the year.

Super Mario 64 is the truly tricky variable in the equation, here. I can't see them doing a straight port (unless we see N64 Online, which I personally find unlikely), a remaster just won't do for a N64 game, so that leaves us with... a remake. A hefty task to be sure, but guaranteed to steal the show at E3, if that's what they were going for.

It might sound unlikely at first, but if we consider they may have been working on such a project since that Odyssey DLC, I think there was enough time to get it done in time for 2020, the 35th Anniversary of Mario, also the year he was supposed to be an official Olympic mascot. I think the rumour has legs.

I think you're right. If there is any truth to this story then I think its likely to be what you said.

Nintendo already have released a HD version of Mario Galaxy 1 on the Nvidia Shield in China, so they can simply port that version to the Switch and like you said, they would likely share the effort as far as development goes, so I have to assume a HD version Galaxy 2 done too.

Mario 3D World would just be an Wii U port with a couple of extras thrown in much like Tropical Freeze an the other Wii U games on switch.

I could see Sunshine possibly being a full remake like Wind Waker HD.

As for Mario 64, I personally would love a remake of it but I think there is a chance it's just a port of the N64 game that ushers in N64 games on Switch.

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks like Eurogamer are backing up this rumour.

I'll be VERY disappointed if Sunshine isn't one of these ports/remasters. Out of all of the 3D Mario games, that is the one that needs to be polished up and released again.

Well, colour me interested. 

I haven't played Super Mario 64. Or Galaxy. Nor Galaxy 2. Just wrong place and wrong time for all of them: I either wasn't not born (and then not all that aware growing up), or just not interested in the series at that particular time in my life. 

But I do have vague memories of Sunshine; it's the first Mario game that I ever remember playing. One of my earliest memories is with an older cousin in Nottingham was spending a weekend playing Sunshine on his GameCube (the first time I ever saw that console). I'll be honest, I have no idea how far I got, but I remember being frightened by Piranha Plants time and time again as I hosed down Delfino Plaza, I remember climbing up chain link fencing, and I remember smiling while I jumped around.

I can recall that warm, fuzzy feeling of childlike joy just thinking about it. 

I've been putting off getting much further into Odyssey because I just don't have the familiarity with the past 3D Mario games that I'd prefer to have in order to feel like I can enjoy that game to its fullest, and have that reference point of the previous games 3D Mario games. 

I think I'd love Super Mario 64, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2, and I would love the opportunity to experience the feeling of being returned to simpler times on Isle Delfino once again in Sunshine. 

I hope this is true. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Julius said:

Well, colour me interested. 

I haven't played Super Mario 64. Or Galaxy. Nor Galaxy 2. Just wrong place and wrong time for all of them: I either wasn't not born (and then not all that aware growing up), or just not interested in the series at that particular time in my life. 

But I do have vague memories of Sunshine; it's the first Mario game that I ever remember playing. One of my earliest memories is with an older cousin in Nottingham was spending a weekend playing Sunshine on his GameCube (the first time I ever saw that console). I'll be honest, I have no idea how far I got, but I remember being frightened by Piranha Plants time and time again as I hosed down Delfino Plaza, I remember climbing up chain link fencing, and I remember smiling while I jumped around.

I can recall that warm, fuzzy feeling of childlike joy just thinking about it. 

I've been putting off getting much further into Odyssey because I just don't have the familiarity with the past 3D Mario games that I'd prefer to have in order to feel like I can enjoy that game to its fullest, and have that reference point of the previous games 3D Mario games. 

I think I'd love Super Mario 64, Galaxy, and Galaxy 2, and I would love the opportunity to experience the feeling of being returned to simpler times on Isle Delfino once again in Sunshine. 

I hope this is true. 

God you're in for a treat 

• Like 3

I have such weird memories of when Sunshine came out. I was 21, living in my basement flat and my neighbor that lived in the flat above had recently decided to move out without paying his rent to his landlord and had also decided to turn on all the taps in his kitchen and bathroom before he left, as some sort of "revenge". Not sure for what exactly.

So midway through playing Mario Sunshine, a game that has you spraying water around everywhere, I had water pouring through the ceiling.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sunshine was a really brilliant game. But nintendo didn't release many gamecube games in the first year of gamecube so some games got over used and repepative

I remember really loving Sunshine at the time, not played it since though. My two overriding memories... spoilers for @Julius lol... were the level with that big mirrors (how good did those look!) and the manta ray hotel attack. But I agree it's definitely the game that could do with the most modernising.

Edited by Ronnie

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Introducing the Super Mario Pass, 15€ a month to play all* Mario games on Switch!

*Well, most. Some of them. Just the main games basically. Still only 15€ a month!

• Like 2

I agree with @Helmsly that 64 might be the pathway into N64 games being introduced into Switch, would love to see a proper remake though! 

Still got my Shigeru Miyamoto signed copy of Sunshine on the mantle piece, pride and place! In many ways I regret it being Sunshine (64 is my number 1 game of all time, only had the silver players choice version and no one wants that signed...) But not only did I get to meet the man, I accidentally got my face on this website before I'd even properly used the place, and I saw N64 Magazines Jes Bickham too 😎

• Like 4

This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to watch the MatthewMatosis long form critique of the 3D games. He points out that, in many ways, Sunshine is the most polished, unfinished game Nintendo have ever made. The movement mechanics, even at the 30 FPS, are just incredible and even more fun to play with that SMO, but the game is clearly unfinished. Every level has at least 2-3 dreadful missions and then then game is padded out by blue coins. SM64 had 15 zones, Sunshine had six (I think?).

Delfino Plaza is an incredible hub world and you can really tell that was the level of polish they wanted for the rest of the game, but unfortunately the GameCube's poor sales meant that SMS was rushed out the door, just like Wind Waker.

Two great, albeit flawed, games. Sunshine deserves more of a remake than a remaster imo...too much unfulfilled potential. Compare that to Galaxy, 64 or 3DW, which were all clearly released when ready to great acclaim.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone to watch the
. He points out that, in many ways, Sunshine is the most polished, unfinished game Nintendo have ever made. The movement mechanics, even at the 30 FPS, are just incredible and even more fun to play with that SMO, but the game is clearly unfinished. Every level has at least 2-3 dreadful missions and then then game is padded out by blue coins. SM64 had 15 zones, Sunshine had six (I think?).
Delfino Plaza is an incredible hub world and you can really tell that was the level of polish they wanted for the rest of the game, but unfortunately the GameCube's poor sales meant that SMS was rushed out the door, just like Wind Waker.
Two great, albeit flawed, games. Sunshine deserves more of a remake than a remaster imo...too much unfulfilled potential. Compare that to Galaxy, 64 or 3DW, which were all clearly released when ready to great acclaim.
I literally can't remember any level other than Delfino Plaza and maybe the cage level with all the squid?

It's weird, because i would say i enjoyed and had a good time with the game, but it wasn't that memorable at all.

I really enjoyed Sunshine (and the music!) but my main takeaway will always be how they made Bowser sleeping with Peach canon. 

• Like 1

I remember the levels or mini-games without FLUDD. I loved those. I also never finished the game as I only needed some blue coin missions and those were terrible.

• Like 1

@Helmsly, fair point about Sunshine likely being remade. Totally forgot about the analogue shoulder buttons, that would definitely require a remake. But since Galaxy's already HD (didn't know about that, thank you), that's less work on the table.

9 hours ago, Ashley said:

I really enjoyed Sunshine (and the music!) but my main takeaway will always be how they made Bowser sleeping with Peach canon. 

Maybe Peach simply doesn't know where babies come from.

• Like 1

Anyone who’s seen Galaxy I and II running at 1080p/60 on Dolphin will know that those games needs leaving well and truly alone bar maybe a little light texture improvement. It already looks amazing in full HD, so I hope they put the bulk of  the work into 64 and Sunshine, should the rumour be true. The pointer stuff shouldn’t be too hard to work into the joycons.

I usually hate rumours, but this one has me so excited. The original All-stars was absolutely amazing and the prospect of having four 3D Mario games on one cart again is filling me with childlike joy. I’d happily play through all four of them to completion and start all over again without even thinking, it’s been years since I touched any of them. 

Edited by Nicktendo

It's looking more and more likely that the Flipnote Studio leak is real. More shots have started to surface and one has the date of June (no doubt E3 related) on it while another shows this...

8b8mdUE.jpg

1. Something Mario related?
  2. Metroid 
  3. Pikmin
  4. Paper Mario
  5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
  6. Giftpia

I wonder if these are all E3 related announcements? The Mario celebration, Metroid finally being shown, Pikmin 3 DX and the new Paper Mario all line up with recent rumours. Mystery Dungeon may have DLC on the cards. The biggest surprise here would be Giftpia making it to the West. It's a game i've been wanting to play for YEARS. For those who don't know, it was a quirky looking Gamecube game that never made it out of Japan.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Ashley said:

Particularly as the Switch doesn't use disks. 

64DDD (Disk Drive Dock) for Switch confirmed.

I'm really excited for the Flipnote update, but I'd need to finally get a stylus.

Less excited about Mario remasters, I may buy 1 or 2, but meh.

That would be incredible but it seems very unlike Nintendo. I played Sunshine very recently so would probably skip that but I'm absolutely due a replay of the other two. 

So it appears the Flipnote leak was an elaborate April Fools joke.

I'm not sure if this started when the first image was leaked on Sunday or whether they are referring to the newer stuff that showed up last night. If it did start with the Sunday leak then that's one hell of a set up. :laughing:  Looking at the art work in that tweet, it does seem to be the case that Sunday was when this started and they were playing the long game. Yay that announcements haven't been leaked but booooo that i'll never get a Western release of Giftpia. :( 

• Like 1

It seems that the fourth game in the Platinum 4-line is an April's Fool as well. :o Kamiyo explains:

“This year, as usual, we, PlatinumGames, tried our best to make an April Fools’ joke. We’re living through tough times now, so as an entertainer, I wanted to cheer you all up. My thanks to Hamster Corp who cooperated with us for this joke. I have two rules when making an April Fools’ joke. First, it needs to be obvious that it’s a joke. Second, it needs to be something that won’t make you disappointed when you realize it’s not real. Following these two rules, this is the joke we made and we (I?) found it pretty exciting. I’ll be happy if it made you realize once again that when PlatinumGames fools around, we do it at full power.”

And a trailer for the .. project?

https://www.dualshockers.com/hideki-kamiya-platinumgames-april-fools-2020/