NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Pikmin 3 DX is due for June... assuming that plans haven't changed from when I last heard about them... which was a fair while ago now, well before the coronavirus shenanegans...

Still, I suspect that if any games are going to arrive on schedule, it'll be the Wii U ports.  Nintendo have probably already finished them and are now just waiting for the right time to release them.

I would assume that everything else will see heavy delays now.  I wouldn't be confident in any non-port game that hasn't already been announced getting released until next year now (except for Paper Mario Switch; which will probably now be pushed back until November this year - was originally slated for July/August from what I've been hearing).  Very possible that this year will see literally nothing but ports and only Animal Crossing New Horizons, Clubhouse Games 2 & Paper Mario Switch as the only original Switch titles now.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Remakes don't really scream "big game" to me. We shall see though. 

Those two remakes would be good for the summer. I can't see Pikmin 3 Deluxe being particularly big, but it's good enough to deserve a Switch release.

Oh yeah I'm not saying don't release them or they're not good games, but compared to the previous years where they've all been originals (granted two are sequels) they don't quite hold the same weight. 

Tennis Aces, Maker 2 and ARMS had all been announced by this time in their respective years, which makes me think a port for June seems quite possible. If I remember correctly, Mario U Deluxe was announced without a lot of fanfare, only a couple of months ahead of the release.

This rumour has just popped up.

Multiple sources have told VGC that the platform holder is planning to hold an event to coincide with this year’s anniversary, which marks 35 years since the start of the mainline Super Mario series in 1985.

As part of its anniversary celebrations, Nintendo will reveal plans to re-release most of Super Mario’s 35-year back catalogue this year, remastered for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo will also release several other Mario titles in 2020, including a new instalment in the Paper Mario series. Most of Mario’s back catalogue will be remastered for Switch, VGC was told.

The plans are set to be revealed alongside new details of Nintendo’s partnership with Universal, and the pair’s Super Nintendo World theme park attractions and animated Super Mario movie.

Nintendo has already unveiled one flagship licensing deal planned to commemorate the anniversary: a special interactive Lego Mario set which sees players collecting coins and defeating enemies in real-life ‘levels’.

The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. E3 2020 has been cancelled due to the virus outbreak and Nintendo could instead opt for a digital showcase.

• Thanks 2

Looks like Eurogamer are backing up this rumour.

Eurogamer sources have indicated that Mario Galaxy is indeed one of the games being readied for a remaster, alongside a couple of other 3D Mario favourites.

Eurogamer sources have confirmed a new Paper Mario is in the works, along with a Deluxe version of Super Mario 3D World, which will include an array of new levels. This long-rumoured Wii U port is one of a couple of first-party games from Nintendo's previous console currently due for a new lease of life in 2020.

I'll be VERY disappointed if Sunshine isn't one of these ports/remasters. Out of all of the 3D Mario games, that is the one that needs to be polished up and released again.

• Thanks 1

I did hear about a celebration coming for the 35th anniversary of Mario...

... but nothing about the idea of all of Mario’s back catalogue getting remastered.  That sounds like fanboy drivel to me... and completely unfeasible for a commercial project (we’re talking 50+ games here!!)

The SM3DW DX info matches up with what I heard though.  Apparently it contains almost an entire new game’s worth of content! WAAAAYYY more than what you would expect from a remaster :o 

Edited by Dcubed

Will they all be released separately? It would cost a bomb to buy them all together and would be a pretty sizeable install too. The earlier games could easily be released as one package (all games up to Mario 64 really) but I can't see them bundling Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2, NSMB & 3D World together. 

Great news though, have been meaning to play through Galaxy & 3D World again so will be nice and convenient to be able to do so on Switch

@Dcubed I'm assuming they just mean the mainline games so it won't be an absurd number like 50 but it would still be 15+ games. Almost half a dozen more if it includes the RPG's too. 

I wonder if handheld entries would be included? Seems like too much work to get 3D Land working on a single screen but the DS NSMB games could be ported fairly simply

Edited by killthenet

@killthenet that's the way I see it. Just the mainline games, most of which will just be ports. They could release Super Mario All-Stars (this is one of the data mined games yet to appear) on the SNES online service and that alone gets a few games out the way. Mario 64? Maybe the N64 library is finally getting added to the Switch. Galaxy and 3D World look to be dead certs at this point. We just need Mario Sunshine...

• Like 1

Gematsu are now jumping on the bandwagon and have said that as well as Galaxy and 3D World coming to Switch they've also heard that Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine will be getting remastered. 

Its hilarious that all of these outlets have clearly been sitting on this stuff but have waited until someone else pulled the trigger before confirming what they heard. Eurogamer pull this crack all the time and others are now starting to do it. :laughing:

It'd be nice to get a Mario 64 remaster which includes all the DS content, apart from the janky controls. 

And an updated Mario Bros. with 4 player online included with the Nintendo Online subscription please! 

7 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

It'd be nice to get a Mario 64 remaster which includes all the DS content, apart from the janky controls. 

And an updated Mario Bros. with 4 player online included with the Nintendo Online subscription please! 

I think it's only a matter of time before Mario 64 gets the remaster it deserves. As one of the most important and influential 3D games in history it ought to get the full treatment at some point.

17 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

And the mini games.

Sounds like they'll end up with Mario oversaturation is release too as many games as the rumours suggest in 6 months.

Also it's 1st April on Wednesday, just saying...

43 minutes ago, killthenet said:

@Dcubed I'm assuming they just mean the mainline games so it won't be an absurd number like 50 but it would still be 15+ games. Almost half a dozen more if it includes the RPG's too. 

I wonder if handheld entries would be included? Seems like too much work to get 3D Land working on a single screen but the DS NSMB games could be ported fairly simply

15+ games is still an utterly absurd amount.  That is not feasible for a remaster project at all.

I'm calling bull on this.  The SM3DW remaster, Pikmin 3 DX and Paper Mario Switch is real; but the rest is bunk.

Which 'main' Mario games aren't currently unavailable on Switch (I'd consider remakes/deluxe games and the Nintendo online games as available, even if not to everyone). They could release all the ones not available so that they could say "you can play all Mario games on the Switch!"

In terms of console Mario platformers there's just Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1+2, 3D World and the Wii NSMB game that aren't on Switch. Still seems like a lot to release in one go.

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Which 'main' Mario games aren't currently unavailable on Switch (I'd consider remakes/deluxe games and the Nintendo online games as available, even if not to everyone). They could release all the ones not available so that they could say "you can play all Mario games on the Switch!"

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros 

Super Mario Galaxy

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Super Mario Galaxy 2

New Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario 3D World

11 games is a bit much to ask for I reckon!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

New Super Mario Bros 

New Super Mario Bros Wii

New Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario 3D World

These are all essentially the same game so they could just release the rumoured 3D World Deluxe.

*leaves thread and never returns out of fear of pitchforks :p *

• Haha 1

Emily Rogers, one of the few (only?) insiders worth listening to, has been suggesting that 2020 "will be a good year to a plumber" for months now.

I assumed that meant Odyssey 2 as their big end of year game, but maybe it means the above (too?)

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

The SM3DW DX info matches up with what I heard though.  Apparently it contains almost an entire new game’s worth of content! WAAAAYYY more than what you would expect from a remaster :o 

That would be amazing. I adore that game.

But yeah, some of the rest sounds a bit hard to believe.

Edited by Ronnie

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Super Mario Land

Super Mario Land 2

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

New Super Mario Bros 

Super Mario Galaxy

New Super Mario Bros Wii

Super Mario Galaxy 2

New Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario 3D Land

Super Mario 3D World

11 games is a bit much to ask for I reckon!

• You just know they don't count Super Mario Land 1&2 as mainline Mario games (unfortunately), and even if they did, it makes no sense to "remaster" a Game Boy game. I imagine they'd release those as part of a compilation, or as part of a future Game Boy Online service (like the ones we already have for NES and SNES). Either way, I wouldn't count those as titles to remaster.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, if remastered, would likely share the effort. Any difficulty they solve for one, it's solved for the other one. They count as 1.5 games at the most.
  • 3D World is Wii U, so it's practically Switch already. I'll be surprised if that one isn't finished by now.
  • 3D Land depends on 3DS 3D. It's not happening on the 3D-less Switch.

So that leaves us with 6.5 games to remaster (1 Gamecube game, 2.5 Wii games, 1 DS game, 1 3DS game, and 1 N64 (or DS) game). The GC/Wii games should be straightforward jobs (unless they want to fully remake them), while upscaling the two (maybe three) handheld games would be the most demanding, but feasible to complete within the year.

Super Mario 64 is the truly tricky variable in the equation, here. I can't see them doing a straight port (unless we see N64 Online, which I personally find unlikely), a remaster just won't do for a N64 game, so that leaves us with... a remake. A hefty task to be sure, but guaranteed to steal the show at E3, if that's what they were going for.

It might sound unlikely at first, but if we consider they may have been working on such a project since that Odyssey DLC, I think there was enough time to get it done in time for 2020, the 35th Anniversary of Mario, also the year he was supposed to be an official Olympic mascot. I think the rumour has legs.

• Like 1

It's a real shame this news has leaked, it would have been such a brilliant surprise. But as usual, leakers gotta have their 5 minutes of fame.

HD remasters of 64, Sunshine, G1+2 on one disk would be quite something, but in reality I imagine that they'd rather keep the Galaxy games together and package 64 and Sunshine together. That said, as good as the movement mechanics in Sunshine are, some of the mission design is so damn bad. The game was clearly unfinished and a part of me hopes that game gets a full on remake more than anything.

I kind of assumed Odyssey 2 was happening but if these remakes/remasters are happening, then I wonder if the Mario team might be working on something else. A proper 3D Donkey Kong game? 

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

It's a real shame this news has leaked, it would have been such a brilliant surprise. But as usual, leakers gotta have their 5 minutes of fame.

This has clearly come from Nintendo imo. The high level sources pretty and the confidence pretty much suggest it. It makes me wonder how much their plans have been effected by the Covid19 situ.