NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Just now, Ronnie said:

It seems strange that they can make a cheap as chips party game like Mario Party and it'll sell 9 million, but Fire Emblem with its 100+ hour fully voice acted campaigns can sell "only" a quarter of that.

Different audiences. Games like Super Mario Party have a very wide appeal whereas Fire Emblem, for as big as it has gotten in recent years, is still a niche genre. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It seems strange that they can make a cheap as chips party game like Mario Party and it'll sell 9 million, but Fire Emblem with its 100+ hour fully voice acted campaigns can sell "only" a quarter of that.

Mario Party is NOT cheap to make.  Even since the original N64 games, it has had one of the largest development teams behind any single first party published Nintendo title (IIRC, Mario Party 1 was the first ever 1st party game to have over 100 people developing it).

Minigame collections like Mario Party are always percieved as "cheap", but the reality is that they're actually VERY expensive to make.  They have so many bespoke assets and often many different gameplay engines that have to be developed for each minigame; that they're actually very expensive to make!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I told you all that Luigi's Mansion 3 would overtake Dark Moon by the end of the fiscal year, it isn't far off now!

Absolutely insane numbers all round, I can't believe how well Super Mario Party has sold. According the figures posted on resetera Mario Kart 8 DX has sold 6.27m copies since April 2019 and BOTW is outpacing Mario Odyssey again, selling 3.2m to Odyssey's 2.15m. Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Party will probably be over 10m by the end of the fiscal year which would make it 8 titles reaching that milestone, 5 of them selling over 16 million units each. 

@Ronnie it would be interesting to know what their profit margins are on the 'cheap as chips games' 1-2 Switch has now sold over 3 million copies, you've got to think that is basically 99% profit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

@Ronnie it would be interesting to know what their profit margins are on the 'cheap as chips games' 1-2 Switch has now sold over 3 million copies, you've got to think that is basically 99% profit.

The game didn't stick with me obviously but I thought the visual presentation of it was fantastic. Sure it was ultra cheesy but I thought the style was really polished :)

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

It looks like there's no upgraded version of the Switch on the cards for this year. :( 

Regarding Nintendo Switch, we believe that it is important to continue to communicate the appeal of both Nintendo Switch systems and expand the installed base. Please note that we have no plans to launch a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020

There are other interesting bits and pieces from the investor briefing that can be found HERE

• Thanks 1

Don't expect support from EA anytime soon. From the latest EA investor call.

“We’re always looking and discussing with Nintendo about what else we can put on the platform, and you can imagine that as the platform grows, our interest in adding content for that platform grows.

But we’re also conscious that the top selling titles by a long shot are all Nintendo software, which is fabulous software but it does us balance the reality of how big our market could be there.

But trust that we’re looking at that and you’ll hear some new things on the future that we’re putting on the platform, and we’re very pleased of how it has grown alongside the growth of both Sony and Microsoft’s platforms.”

I said a while back now that the Switch would be like the Wii in terms of 3rd parties. The console sells very well but continues to get shunned by a lot of publishers, just like the Wii did. I still find Capcom to be the worst out of them all. We've come to expect this from Western publishers but I would have thought the Japanese side of things would be all over the Switch.

EA could make money on the Switch very, very easily. 

The problem is they couldn’t make enough money for the guys at the top. 

Why make $2 million when you could make $20m?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

EA could make money on the Switch very, very easily. 

The problem is they couldn’t make enough money for the guys at the top. 

Why make $2 million when you could make $20m?

EA uses the FrostEngine for a lot of their games and i'm not sure how well that scales. Hell, EA itself have issues with that engine for their own games. I imagine something like Battlefield/Battlefront/Titanfall would require a lot of work to get running on Switch. Even FIFA needed a special engine running it and they probably only done that due to it being part of the contract for the license. It simply may not be worth the time and effort given the returns they would see.

I do wonder just how well Ubisoft's ports are selling on the Switch? Stuff like the AC games would have required work to get running well and I do wonder whether it is worth it for them.

I've always been curious as to what kind of support Nintendo would get if their consoles were the same power as the other two console makers. They would be no excuse for engines not running well or scaling costs. It would be interesting to see if certain publishers still would want nothing to do with them. Sadly, we will never see that scenario.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It looks like there's no upgraded version of the Switch on the cards for this year. :( 

I think it'd be a mistake to release an incremental upgrade the same year as next gen anyway. Next year though, four years after release, absolutely.

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There are other interesting bits and pieces from the investor briefing that can be found HERE

For what it's worth, they always say this. Infact, they said the same a few months before the Lite came out. Same for the new 3DS.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

For what it's worth, they always say this. Infact, they said the same a few months before the Lite came out. Same for the new 3DS.

Yeah but I don't think those examples were at investor meetings. Addressing shareholders and investors is completely different to debunking rumours on a game website. I'm not saying they aren't pulling our legs again but that i'm more inclined to believe them on this one.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah but I don't think those examples were at investor meetings. Addressing shareholders and investors is completely different to debunking rumours on a game website. I'm not saying they aren't pulling our legs again but that i'm more inclined to believe them on this one.

Ah good point, I had missed that.

I guess the question from their PoV is:

-Is there an overlap between early adoptors of Switch (and Switch Pro) and early adopters of a future Sony and Microsft consoles? If so, it may diminish the business case of releasing a 'Pro' this year.

-Is there the right Tegra chip available to allow them to release a Pro. How much power do they need, and can they achieve that without draining the battery? 

There are some proper tech nerds on Resetera who are up to the date with the Tegra pipeline and they seem to be under the impression that if Nintendo wait another 12 months, they'll have the option of releasing a Switch Pro on a Tegra chip that will get the console close to the original XBO in power, albeit with a much more modern architecture, without having any negative impact on battery life. Essentially you'd get games like SMO and BOTW easily hitting 1080p (and possibly beyond, i.e. 1440p) and their target framerate, with games like The WItcher able to run closer to XBO performance. 

I'd 100% be down for that. The first game I'd replay would be Xenoblade 2 - I'd love a bit more power behind that game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be the first game I would try on a Pro. If they can make that game look good then we have a winner. :D 

A Switch Pro, aye?

Interesting. There sure is one game I'd like to play on a more powerful Switch. Take a guess, ya'll :p 

33 minutes ago, drahkon said:

A Switch Pro, aye?

Interesting. There sure is one game I'd like to play on a more powerful Switch. Take a guess, ya'll :p 

Slay the Spire? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Goron_3 said:

There are some proper tech nerds on Resetera who are up to the date with the Tegra pipeline and they seem to be under the impression that if Nintendo wait another 12 months, they'll have the option of releasing a Switch Pro on a Tegra chip that will get the console close to the original XBO in power, albeit with a much more modern architecture, without having any negative impact on battery life. Essentially you'd get games like SMO and BOTW easily hitting 1080p (and possibly beyond, i.e. 1440p) and their target framerate, with games like The WItcher able to run closer to XBO performance. 

If that’s the case then it definitely makes sense to wait. It’ll smooth over the next gen transition for them a tad. 

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

A Switch Pro, aye?

Interesting. There sure is one game I'd like to play on a more powerful Switch. Take a guess, ya'll :p @drahkon was a switch pro announced

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

How do I reply to someone on here 

Edited by euroninfan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, euroninfan said:

How do I reply to someone on here

When you click on "Quote", a box with what the person you're quoting will appear.

Write your reply underneath that box, not in it, like I'm doing here.

Nintendo Labo Console Toy-Con

Nintendo's Selling Empty Boxes Of The Animal Crossing Edition Switch

If you've been anywhere near the internet over the past few hours, we imagine you've already seen the recently-announced Animal Crossing-themed Switch console. Isn't it just the loveliest thing you've ever seen?

Anyway, if you can't quite afford this latest model, or if you want to pretend you have one without having to pay for it, Nintendo seemingly has you covered. On its official Japanese site, Nintendo is offering a replica box without anything inside for 550 yen (approx. £4 / $5). As if we've suddenly been placed inside a weird, alternate, Ikea-based universe, you even have to assemble the thing yourself when it arrives; thankfully Nintendo provides instructions:

screenshot-2020-01-31-at-14-25-50.origin

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/random_nintendos_selling_empty_boxes_of_the_animal_crossing_edition_switch

:blank:

• Haha 3

The Michael Pachter quote from 2012 seems relevant here.

I don’t think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard.

A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you’re really little you like the box better than the gift? That’s how I think of Nintendo fanboys.

:D 

• Haha 5

Two months after my Switch purchase. Am I happy with it?

Yes!

There are some things I don't like about it. Joy-cons feel like cheap toys, the UI is...to put it nicely...lackluster, Nintendo's games are ridiculously expensive even in sales...

Still, it's a lovely device. And it's great to have my three favourite games of all time (Super Mario WorldThe Binding of Isaac and Slay the Spire) on one device. 

It's a shame that most exclusives I've played were mediocre. But it can only get better :p 

• Like 1