NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Urgh, I only wanted to share a revamped UI with more features :hmm: Next time I'll keep it to myself.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It only lists your 10 or so most recently played games. If you want to see everything it’s a easily done.

Well that's fair enough, but I can't help but think you're exaggerating the situation about the PS4 UI being slow.

On PS4 if I'm in a game and I press the PS button to open the main menu it loads up near instantly. If I hold the PS button to bring up the mini menu, again, it loads up near instantly. I would be interested in you sharing a video of you doing these actions on your system because it almost sounds like there is something up with your PS4/HDD.

I think you also need to consider with the Switch, it's doing almost nothing. You can't message friends, set up party chat, view trophies, or do many things people have come to expect from a modern game console OS. As such, I have no reason to open up the Switch menu while in game - meaning the Switch could have the slowest OS and it wouldn't matter, so it's almost an empty boast by saying the Switch UI is fast. If the Switch OS is marginally faster (which even I'm not sure about), I wouldn't say it's anywhere near worth the tradeoff of not having basic features.

Edited by Sheikah

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I already said on this thread that I was constantly after the PS4 to introduce folders, so thanks for proving that for me I guess? I applaud your very extensive research... :blank:

I had one for all the PS+ games I downloaded that collected dust and I never actually fired up. That was the extent of using them for me.

You know you can search by word/member in a topic right?  It took less than 5 minutes (and most of that was copy and pasting URLs on my phone) so it wasn't very extensive research.

You said you were "constantly wanting" folders on the PS4 which to me felt like a misrepresentation of the fact each time an OS update was released you jumped straight in to say "still no folders huh? Could learn from Nintendo". It's fine not wanting them (I also don't use them), but considering you were so insistent that Sony is behind and its a "basic feature" it just felt like you were underselling your persistent criticism, the same criticism others are giving Nintendo at the moment. I think it's fair to say folders are expected at this point, not just because its a "basic feature", but because their previous consoles have had them. Maybe not at launch, fine, but several years in I think it's fair to say 'where'd that feature go?'.

In fact you saying stuff like this...

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

You often play more than 12 games at the same time do you?

is a repeat of what went on in the PS4 discussion at the time. It was pointed out that on the PS4 your most recent played games are at the front and you still said it should have folders because its a "basic feature". You went on and on about this at any given opportunity and some not-so-given ones too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

is a repeat of what went on in the PS4 discussion at the time. It was pointed out that on the PS4 your most recent played games are at the front and you still said it should have folders because its a "basic feature". You went on and on about this at any given opportunity and some not-so-given ones too.

I forgot about that, but yeah you are dead right. I remember Ronnie arguing that folders were needed, then people saying they weren't necessary because it shows the most recent played titles which is enough for the vast majority of people. Now Ronnie you are arguing the exact same defence, curiously when Nintendo are doing it.

Games on switch , you will wana have a good look at them before you buy them, otherwise you will get a big disapointment and will stop buying  games at all. I bought bit trip saga , it cost €20, costing €20, I tought it should be very good . I never saw a bigger load of rubbish, this has happened alot. You really need to buy an unofficial mag like nintendo force of pure nintendo ( there good value ) so you don't make any mistakes

I challenge anyone who doesn't want folders to find a specific game on @Dcubed's Switch.

Because that'll change your mind.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Metro Redux announced as coming to the Switch Feb. 28th.

All DLC included and there's no extra download; both games are on the cart for this one.

Awesome news for those who haven't played. Obviously Exodus would be a bit of a push but isn't completely out of the question post The Witcher 3 so we'll see if it comes eventually. Still a great get for Switch owners. Gives a bit more credence to the leaks for Bioshock coming soon too as these have both been rumoured for a while.

Edit: Both games are available to pre-order separately on the eShop now for £22.49 each. Didn't see a bundle option when looking. The physical edition is up for pre-order on Amazon for £44.99. Had hoped they'd do the physical bundle for £39.99 but guess not.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Genshin Impact coming to Switch.

Time to smash your Switch! :laughing: 

Can't wait to see more.

• Haha 2

Some NPD news for December and 2019, as usual digital Switch sales aren't included in these...

Dollar sales of tracked video game software declined 13% in December compared to a year ago, to $1.1 billion, while annual sales dropped 9 percent to $6.6 billions
Declines were experienced across all platforms in December, while Switch was the only platform with gains for the year

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was the best-selling game in the U.S. for the third consecutive month since its October launch. It finishes 2019 as the best-selling game of the year. This is the 11th consecutive year that Call of Duty has been the best-selling franchise. Call of Duty franchise releases account for 10 of the top 15 best-selling games of the decade.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order repeats as the second best-selling game of the month. It finishes 2019 as the year’s sixth best-selling title. With only two months in market, Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order becomes Respawn Entertainment’s best-selling game of all-time in terms of dollar sales.

Half of December’s top 20 best-selling games were published by Nintendo. Luigi’s Mansion 3 finished as December’s fifth best-selling title overall, while ending 2019 as the fourth best-selling title of the year on Nintendo Switch.”

Software Charts - December 2019

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  3. Madden NFL 20
  4. NBA 2K20
  5. Luigi’s Mansion 3*
  6. Pokemon Sword*
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  9. Pokemon Shield*
  10. Minecraft
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Red Dead Redemption II
  13. FIFA 20
  14. Just Dance 2020
  15. Need for Speed: Heat
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening*
  18. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*
  19. Super Mario Party*
  20. Ring Fit Adventure

2019 YTD

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
  2. NBA 2K20
  3. Madden NFL 20
  4. Borderlands 3
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
  7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  8. Kingdom Hearts III
  9. Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
  10. Mario Kart 8
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Red Dead Redemption II
  13. Minecraft
  14. FIFA 20
  15. Anthem
  16. Pokemon Sword
  17. Resident Evil 2 2019
  18. Luigi’s Mansion 3
  19. Days Gone
  20. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

Nintendo Switch 2019 YTD

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  2. Mario Kart 8
  3. Pokemon Sword
  4. Luigi’s Mansion 3
  5. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  7. Pokemon Shield
  8. Super Mario Maker 2
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
  10. Super Mario Party

Great to see Luigi's Mansion 3 do so well. The original sold 3.3million, 3DS sequel sold 6.16 and 3 is guaranteed to sell at least 10 million.

Also wild to see Ring Fit Adventure in the Top 20 for December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed about Luigi's Mansion. The game, as well as Next Level Games, deserve that level of success.

I wonder if there is any region where Pokemon Shield actually outsold Pokemon Sword? 

Ring Fit Adventure probably could have done much better if the stock situation was the same as over here. You've not been able to get ahold of it all of this month and only now stock is starting to trickle through.

The Switch has also been dominating sales in Japan but that is to be expected. The dedicated home console market over there is pretty much dead and unless you have a handheld component to your device then it's not going to make a dent. I think Nintendo's grip on that market will even continue when the new consoles arrive.

content-4-36113-nintendologo.jpg

Nintendo shares a Switch games in 2020 infographic

Nintendo2020SwitchInfographicBanner.jpg

Not a bad line-up to start 2020 with, especially knowing that there will be more announcements throughout the year. :)

Check out the main article to view the graphic in greater detail.

Out of all of those games though... all I need right now is that Panzer Dragoon remake. :grin:

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

Of those games, The Outer Worlds, Pokémon Expansion Pass, and Silksong are the most interesting to me.

Just Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles and Bravely Default II for me. Things like Darksiders, Doom and Final Fantasy i'll be picking up on another console. I've still got The Outer Worlds sat here ready to play.

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Why isn't Animal Crossing featured? That seems like a major omission to me.

Hmm? But it's right there in the graphic. :confused:

Oh alright then... :p

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I've fixed it now though, Trials of Mana and Animal Crossing are now in the infographic. :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

Hmm? But it's right there in the graphic. :confused:

Oh alright then... :p

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I've fixed it now though, Trials of Mana and Animal Crossing are now in the infographic. :D

41749077.jpg

• Haha 1

Had no idea where to put this, so...

Rune Factory 4 Special is coming to Switch on 25th February in North America, and 28th February in Europe and Australia.

Personally not my type of game, but it was cool seeing fans of the franchise excited about this and 5. Also, really digging the music in the trailer, and it does a great job of setting a tone and general vibe for the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On Episode 12 of the N-E Café, the next Topic of the Week will be dedicated to Switch UI revamps. A long overdue revision would be welcome, but what do you want included? And are you satisfied with what’s on free a5 present, or is it getting a little long in the tooth?

• Like 1

Thought this was interesting

Reggie Encouraged Nintendo To Embrace "What The Brand Stood For" By Sticking With Its Iconic Logo

nintendo-logo.original.jpg

From a branding standpoint, we had to be clear in what Nintendo as a brand stood for, as well as what the individual franchises stood for. I’ll give you an example. When I joined Nintendo, there was a sense of almost shame that Nintendo appealed to young consumers, and the marketing team at Nintendo of America started doing things with the logo – that classic Nintendo logo in an oval – they would put it into graffiti style, or they’d do different things to try and age up the logo, and I put a stop to that because that is not our brand. And what we needed to do was yes, appeal to a broad swatch of consumers, but we needed to do it based on what the brand stood for, and not doing it in some false way. Systemically, we went through and cleaned up the presentation of the brand, but we also created messaging coupled with content that really broadened the reach, broadened the appeal, and set the stage for all of the great products we would launch like Wii, like Wii Fit, and eventually the Nintendo Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/01/reggie_encouraged_nintendo_to_embrace_what_the_brand_stood_for_by_sticking_with_its_iconic_logo

• Thanks 2

The Nintendo logo always looks like it's made up of different fonts to me. The t and the d look like they're different heights, the top curve of the e/o doesn't match the top curve of the n/d in terms of where the thin part lies and the "tail" on the d is shorter than the bit that sticks up on the n.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1