NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

Yeah all digital storefronts suffer from convertibility discoverability problems and no platform holder has really managed to crack it. It's why some games go for ridiculously cheap; because it gets noticed more.

It's been a while since I browsed through the eShop but can you do cross searches? So could I go into the offers section and then filter/search by genre, rating, name etc?

Users reviews would be good and a very Nintendo thing would be to push the ones from your friends. 

Also you can't gift games can you?

Nah, you can't gift games. Shame as I loved that feature back during the Wii days. Baffling why they removed it going forward. :( 

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. If you aren't watching the Indie Directs then I imagine a lot of titles are going to pass you by, unless you are willing to dig through the eShop. I do agree user reviews/ratings could help but then you also get idiots review bombing decent games, as seen in other places like Amazon and Meta Critic. Didn't the Switch at one point have a user reviews section for a very short period before Nintendo pulled it? 

User bombing wouldn't be that much of a problem if you could only review games that you have on the Switch and only with the user who owns the game. 

Yes, it was there for a few days. Wonder why it hasn't returned... 

You guys talk about the eShop while I'm sitting here wondering why there are no folders, yet. :p I think the UI could use a little update.

This mockup is my favourite (needs a dark theme, though).

That's like 10% UI redesign and 90% new features that will probably never happen 

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That's like 10% UI redesign and 90% new features that will probably never happen 

A man can dream.

The whole point of the Switch OS is that it's lightning fast and free of bloat and slow down that plagues the PS4 and especially XBO. But sure, a stats feature is definitely needed and wouldn't bog the system down. I used to be constantly wanting PS4 to introduce folders and when they finally did I never really used them :blank: 

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah, you can't gift games. Shame as I loved that feature back during the Wii days. Baffling why they removed it going forward. :( 

Ironically, Nintendo had the very first digital platform that allowed for this feature... and then after Steam ripped it off, Nintendo never brought it back!

But you know... Nintendo are just baffling when it comes to anything online related, so it's par for the course really :p 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 3

So when will the new switch be for sale and what will be different about it to the first one , how much will it be, will it be a lot dearer than the first one

11 hours ago, drahkon said:

You guys talk about the eShop while I'm sitting here wondering why there are no folders, yet. :p I think the UI could use a little update.

This mockup is my favourite (needs a dark theme, though).

That looks pretty sweet.

Crazy to think we are pretty much 3 years in and we've not really seen the UI updated or such features seen in your link added to the system. It's hilarious that they tease more themes by giving us Dark and Light but have never added to it. :laughing: It's a weird one because the device is portable and you would have thought that they would allow for customisation to show off to others, much like the 3DS. Some of the themes on that are great and it's gotta be easy money. I think the most baffling thing is the lack of options when it comes to profile pictures and how slow they are to add new ones. I think it was either RedShell or Glen-i (Happy Birthday) who mentioned a while back that they should allow players to use the Spirit pictures they've obtained from Smash Bros. 

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Ironically, Nintendo had the very first digital platform that allowed for this feature... and then after Steam ripped it off, Nintendo never brought it back!

It's such a shame. I remember me and darksnowman used to send each other Virtual Console games as birthday presents. I'm pretty sure we had a secret santa on here for a couple of years in a row using the system. Good times.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

The whole point of the Switch OS is that it's lightning fast and free of bloat and slow down that plagues the PS4 and especially XBO. But sure, a stats feature is definitely needed and wouldn't bog the system down. I used to be constantly wanting PS4 to introduce folders and when they finally did I never really used them :blank: 

If we're going to be accurate you called them a basic feature; including saying Sony should learn from Nintendo and they should have been there from day one. You again described organisation on the home screen and folders as a basic feature and how the lack of folders was causing clutter. 

So all that and you didn't use them? Seems like you were really keen for them at some point so maybe you can see why people want them on the Switch. Perhaps they too will not end up using them, but they should be there right? It's a "basic feature" after all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

If we're going to be accurate you called them a basic feature; including saying Sony should learn from Nintendo and they should have been there from day one. You again described organisation on the home screen and folders as a basic feature and how the lack of folders was causing clutter. 

So all that and you didn't use them? Seems like you were really keen for them at some point so maybe you can see why people want them on the Switch. Perhaps they too will not end up using them, but they should be there right? It's a "basic feature" after all. 

I already said on this thread that I was constantly after the PS4 to introduce folders, so thanks for proving that for me I guess? I applaud your very extensive research... :blank:

I had one for all the PS+ games I downloaded that collected dust and I never actually fired up. That was the extent of using them for me.

Ah, good old holding people to account.

10 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Ah, good old holding people to account. emoji14.png

Dear oh dear. I literally admitted to hounding PS4 for folders further up this page.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Crazy to think we are pretty much 3 years in and we've not really seen the UI updated or such features seen in your link added to the system

I've only had the device for 2 months now, but that's what struck me first. It's been on the market for so long now and the UI and features are still so hilariously barebones...

The most baffling thing to me is:

jpg

Why don't we have the option to make this our home screen? It'd be perfect mainly because, you know, the Switch has a touchscreen and with a layout like that every game is readily available. But noooooo, this screen has to be on the far right end of the main screen...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Dear oh dear. I literally admitted to hounding PS4 for folders further up this page.

Surely if folders are such a basic, day 1 feature that reduce clutter, your words, then Switch is a flawed OS for not having them and therefore prone to bloat? It's also interesting because I remember how you would constantly go in topics to complain about the PS4 not having them, despite you seemingly not really caring about them once they came. I also remember people telling you that folders really aren't that big a deal when you were complaining about them too.

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I've only had the device for 2 months now, but that's what struck me first. It's been on the market for so long now and the UI and features are still so hilariously barebones...

The most baffling thing to me is:

jpg

Why don't we have the option to make this our home screen? It'd be perfect mainly because, you know, the Switch has a touchscreen and with a layout like that every game is readily available. But noooooo, this screen has to be on the far right end of the main screen...

Well, they added the ability to press left to go the the far right a couple of patches ago... :p 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Well, they added the ability to press left to go the the far right a couple of patches ago... :p 

I take it all back. Nintendo is on top of their game. :D 

• Haha 1

The reason why the Switch's OS is so barebones is not because of performance concerns; it's because Nintendo don't care to upgrade it.

They've given up on trying to add features and their OS & network services division are fully focused on mobile right now (and probably preparatory work for the Switch's successor).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Not the whole Nintendo are "fully focused on mobile right now" thing again.

If it's a choice between the laggy, bloated, confusing mess that is the PS4 OS or the Switch's clean, lightning fast one missing a handful of features, I'll take the latter. I try and spend as little time in the PS4 OS as possible.

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

You often play more than 12 games at the same time do you?

Edited by Ronnie

43 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Surely if folders are such a basic, day 1 feature that reduce clutter, your words, then Switch is a flawed OS for not having them and therefore prone to bloat? It's also interesting because I remember how you would constantly go in topics to complain about the PS4 not having them, despite you seemingly not really caring about them once they came. I also remember people telling you that folders really aren't that big a deal when you were complaining about them too.

I thought I would want folders, but then I hardly touched my PS4 not long after and when I did, I ended up not using them like I thought I would. I admitted as much. Why are we still at this useless discussion?

And having lots of games clearly laid out in a line isn't "bloat", all the useless little bells and whistles, apps, layers, submenus of the PS4 is. To me.

Edited by Ronnie

45 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You often play more than 12 games at the same time do you?

I think you meant to tag @drahkon. :)

But to answer, it's just a matter of you opening the game up for it to appear in the 10 or 12 most recent games. Sometimes you just want to see what you've got.

Edited by MindFreak

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

And having lots of games clearly laid out in a line isn't "bloat", all the useless little bells and whistles, apps, layers, submenus of the PS4 is. To me.

Well, many would argue it is. If you have hundreds of games on Switch, that's a lot to cycle through in a straight line to find the one you want. I personally have no care for folders but you must be able to see why having the option for them is better than no option at all. Being able to reduce the amount of game icons on screen would surely speed up the UI even more, if that's what you're worried about.

15 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I think you meant to tag @drahkon. :)

But to answer, it's just a matter of you opening the game up for it to appear in the 10 or 12 most recent games. Sometimes you just want to see what you've got.

Oops sorry. And yeah sometimes you do want to see what you’ve got. Left on the d-pad and A takes you there in half a second. Much faster than the other two consoles I believe. 

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Well, many would argue it is. If you have hundreds of games on Switch, that's a lot to cycle through in a straight line to find the one you want.

It only lists your 10 or so most recently played games. If you want to see everything it’s a easily done.