NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

4 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

My Switch dock has stopped working. 

It has been intermittent for a number of weeks now. I insert the Switch, the TV knows the HDMI port is now in use and a prompt comes onto the TV to advise I can switch to that port. 

But when I do there is no sattelite signal. If I take the Switch out and put it back in again, it used to just come on but would then cut out during gaming sessions for no rhyme or reason. 

We've now reached the stage where it just doesn't work. 

I've tried different HDMI ports (3 different ones), 3 different HDMI leads, two different TV's - no joy. 

Absolute junk. The Switch is just over a year old. What is the process? Do I inform Nintendo or would I then have to send the whole lot for repair console included? 

If your Switch is still in Warranty, then sending it in might be the best option.

• Like 1

You'll only need to send the dock. You'll have to pay since it's over a year old unless you bought it from the Nintendo store which they give 2 years warranty (unless they stopped doing that), so might just be worth either buying a new one or checking eBay as people selling their docks if they plan on using it as a handheld.

If you go the repair route or want to see what they say, phoning them is quicker then emailing them.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

You'll only need to send the dock. You'll have to pay since it's over a year old unless you bought it from the Nintendo store which they give 2 years warranty (unless they stopped doing that), so might just be worth either buying a new one or checking eBay as people selling their docks if they plan on using it as a handheld.

If you go the repair route or want to see what they say, phoning them is quicker then emailing them.

Thanks both. 

Absolute joke. I wouldn't mind if I'd used it loads, but I bought the LIte when it came out and have been using nothing but that really. The minute I start playing on my main Switch for Pokemon and it stops working. 

I've had trouble with the original dock, I have two though so that when it happens I swap them out, it then works fine and I only swap back when I need to.

I don't think the dock is necessarilly broken but what you've described @Aneres11 is exactly what happened to me but if you just have the one dock then it's tricky to diagnose.

It's only because I like having the dock set up and keep another one for the times when I want to play Switch multiplayer or just in another room as it's easier.

I'm actually about to play some Switch multiplayer now locally which means I'll be using my original dock which last messed up a few months back during Mario Kart night.

I'll let you know how it goes but it's usually just annoyingly intermittent, as it will work perfectly for months and then it just stops working properly for seemingly no reason. ::shrug:

If it's your only dock then, I know you've probably tried this already and it's a hassle but, just unplug everything, turn the TV off then start reconnecting everything to do with the Switch.

Sometimes that works, I'm not sure if it's worth sending the dock in for repair, especially if it's going to cost you, if it isn't though then you don't have anything to lose. :peace:

Definitely don't send your Switch console in though, it's more likely to just be the dock.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

My Switch dock has stopped working. 

It has been intermittent for a number of weeks now. I insert the Switch, the TV knows the HDMI port is now in use and a prompt comes onto the TV to advise I can switch to that port. 

But when I do there is no sattelite signal. If I take the Switch out and put it back in again, it used to just come on but would then cut out during gaming sessions for no rhyme or reason. 

We've now reached the stage where it just doesn't work. 

I've tried different HDMI ports (3 different ones), 3 different HDMI leads, two different TV's - no joy. 

Absolute junk. The Switch is just over a year old. What is the process? Do I inform Nintendo or would I then have to send the whole lot for repair console included? 

When you plug the Switch dock in, are you plugging the power supply in before plugging in the HDMI? If you don’t plug the cables in in that order, the dock doesn’t work. It’s a weird quirk of the dock, but that’s how it is designed (and it’s a quirk that has caught me ouT many times).  

Likewise, the dock ONLY works with the official Switch power supply; any other USB-c cable/power adapter will not work properly (as the Switch draws more power when docked than what most USB chargers can provide).

If you’re doing the above and it’s still not working? Then it sounds like something is faulty... I’d suggest trying the Switch with another dock if you can (to figure out which part is at fault) and then contacting the Nintendo repair centre (the repair centre service website is currently down for maintainence; but you can book a repair over the phone by calling Nintendo customer services).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Dcubed

Weirdly it is working today. I just powered on the Switch whilst it was docked with my Pro Controller and it came on. Been working fine all day. 

Still doesn’t explain the random cutting outs I’ve experienced, but that could have maybe been the HDMI even though I’m pretty sure I’ve experienced it on two separate cables. 

• Thanks 1

My Switch is really not ok at the moment. 

4fvDnuS.jpg

I just turned it on and not working on TV again. Hasn’t been touched since powering off via pro controller last night when it was working fine. 

Gave up to play handheld. Loaded Pokemon and it all froze kicked me out. Tried to load again and it just hun for ten to twenty seconds before asking me to choose the user. Chose me, another 20 seconds. Made the noise like it was loaded then just a black screen and now the above error. 

It’s a downloaded game not a cartridge? What gives here?

It did happen to me with some donwloaded games, but it startet working after few tries (switching the Switch of, properly). But one game continued to make trouble in a way that it would just stop and I would have to go to the maine manu (switch menu, and it was a cheap third party game).

• Like 1

A friend lent me a few games:

• Mario + Rabbids
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Xenoblades Chronicles 2

I've played Mario + Rabbids for a while and I simply can't deal with the Rabbids. They are just not funny to me. I've been getting into comedy and educated myself on what makes certain types of comedy funny so I can appreciate the way humour is created (no words, just exaggeration in this case). But man...Rabbids are not for me. To the point where I can't play this any further.
No big deal, though, because the gameplay didn't grab me anyway. ::shrug: 

Gonna give Super Mario Odyssey its second chance now. I've played this for a bit at my mate's last year and didn't really enjoy it that much. This time, however, I can start from the beginning. Maybe it'll grow on me :peace: 

Xenoblades Chronicles 2...my sister's boyfriend told me that it's one of the finest RPGs he's played and that I will definitely like it. I'm scared to start, though, because if I do like it I'll spent a lot of time with it :D 

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

My Switch is really not ok at the moment. 

4fvDnuS.jpg

I just turned it on and not working on TV again. Hasn’t been touched since powering off via pro controller last night when it was working fine. 

Gave up to play handheld. Loaded Pokemon and it all froze kicked me out. Tried to load again and it just hun for ten to twenty seconds before asking me to choose the user. Chose me, another 20 seconds. Made the noise like it was loaded then just a black screen and now the above error. 

It’s a downloaded game not a cartridge? What gives here?

Have you tried powering it completely off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds?

36 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Have you tried powering it completely off by holding down the power button for 5 seconds?

Yeah I powered off and left it a bit. Went back on and it’s ok. 
Just having lots of random goings on with the Switch currently! 

I've been getting into comedy and educated myself on what makes certain types of comedy funny so I can appreciate the way humour is created (no words, just exaggeration in this case).

This is the Germanest thing you've ever posted on here.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Another day, another problem.

Today's Switch issue is games will not load. These are downloaded games by the way. 

Tried Mario Tennis and Pokemon Sword. Both give me an error message that says 'Could not start the software. Please try again from the HOME menu'. 

I have never had any problems with my Switch, or Switch Lite, until this last week where everything that could possibly stop working, is no longer working. 

Anyone seen this one and got any ideas? Google seems to think you need to just try it again until it works, but having none of it. 

EDIT

After restarting it now seems to think the SD card has been removed. 

Which is absolutely has not.

mOyxg3r.jpg

Time for a call to Nintendo. 

Edited by Aneres11

Yeah, try removing the SD card. Or start a game from the internal memory rather than the SD card to see if that works. 

@drahkon, @nekunando I finally got round to trying out the 8bit-do USB wireless adapter...

spec.png

... and I'm pleased to say that it works exactly as advertised! It's great! :D 

The pairing process is quick and painless; just plug it in, press the pair button, activate pairing on your controller of choice and it works with no fuss.  I tried it out with a Dualshock 4 and it works flawlessly; even the motion controls work perfectly!

Bare in mind that any controller you connect with this thing will act as a wired Switch Pro Controller only.  That means that it will not be recognised as a Joy-con; meaning that Joy-con only games will not work with this thing.  As far as the Switch is concerned, whatever controller you connect will behave as a wired Switch Pro Controller.

Also, the only controller that you connect to this thing that can make use of motion controls is the Dualshock 4, nothing else will work.  Rumble works as you would expect as well.

Only one device will connect to this thing at a time, so if you want to use two DS4s on a Switch? You need two adapters.

So... yeah! If you want to use a DS4 on this thing, or a Wii U Pro Controller, or a Wii Remote? This thing will do the job very nicely! :D 

• Like 2

I feel like I should know this already but can you still connect to your 'home' eShop while in a different country?

Going travelling and may buy stuff while doing and in the back of my mind there's something about not being able to play games brought across different regions of the eShop...? But I could be confused (and I've not done any legwork myself).

30 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I feel like I should know this already but can you still connect to your 'home' eShop while in a different country?

Going travelling and may buy stuff while doing and in the back of my mind there's something about not being able to play games brought across different regions of the eShop...? But I could be confused (and I've not done any legwork myself).

I'm not completely certain on this but I think I've heard of people getting a Japanese account (seperate to their main account) to get the Japanese NES and SNES apps plus some region exclusive games and then switching back to their main accounts to play them, the only thing is though you need different currencies on different eShops so that's why you'd probably need the other account.

However, if you have no digital currency in your wallet on the eShop before travelling, you should be able to just change the region to wherever you are, so long as you realise that if you change region and you have money from a different currency in your account and then try to buy currency in the new region eShop, I think you'll lose what any unspent currency, but if you're just buying the required amount needed to purchase whichever game you want to buy then this shouldn't be a problem. :)

That's as much as I understand about the whole eShop accounts and region restriction stuff anyway but I reckon @Dcubed would be able to provide a more concise answer. :peace:

I've just re-read the question though... yes I believe you can still connect to your home eShop while in another country, it depends on which region you choose on your Switch.

Edited by S.C.G

46 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

yes I believe you can still connect to your home eShop while in another country, it depends on which region you choose on your Switch.

Hm, when I changed my region on the Switch to US I still only got access to the German eShop. I had to create a US account to access the US eShop. 

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hm, when I changed my region on the Switch to US I still only got access to the German eShop. I had to create a US account to access the US eShop. 

Ah OK, then in that case it seems that you do need an account per region, I wasn't sure as I haven't tried to buy anything from any of the other eShops.

As someone who’s moved around a bit, the process is pretty painless and easy to do. You basically have two choices:

1) Make a separate account for each region. You can have up to 8 on one Switch, I think (You’ll need a separate JP NSO sub to download the NES / SNES apps this way, if that’s what you want to do AFAIK). 

2) Change your region on the My Nintendo website. Next time you log into the shop, you’ll be logged into that region’s shop. I’ve done this loads over the past three years, switching between the U.K., Russia and Latvia. Gold coins are tied to your region but don’t disappear. So if you have, say 600 gold coins in the U.K., you can’t spend them in another store, but you also don’t lose them, so they’ll be there when you switch back. 

Option two is better in my opinion as you’ll still only have your main account on the Switch and everything will be tied to only one Switch / My Nintendo account.  

Edit: The e-shop is completely determined by your region settings, not your physical location. Card payments must be made in the local currency, but PayPal is also supported if you don’t mind losing 2-4% on a pounds > local currency conversion. 

Super edit: NSO sub transfers between regions, so you might actually be able to download the NES / SNES app with method 2. I’ve never tried it. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I should be fine to just carry on buying things as long as I don't change region? I'm not looking to buy region exclusive stuff or anything (at least not yet), was just checking there wouldn't be a problem with buying from the UK (Europe I guess technically) eShop from elsewhere.