NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

I am now a Switch owner :D 

I've known about the device before; held it many times. I'm still surprised how "toy-ish" the Joy-Cons feel. Especially considering that the screen/device itself feels much better.
And that dock...don't get me started. Will see for a while whether I'll put it to use or if that horrible piece of plastic is just there to be sold :p 

Anyway. Don't want to buy any games, yet, as I won't have much time to play for a couple of days, anyway. Might give some demos a try. Cadence of Hyrule springs to mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Man, there sure is a lot of garbage in the eShop, isn't there? :o 
And the current sale is full of it. I guess this is what you get with the Switch? Horrible sales for digital games? :p 

Anyway, lovely device as a whole. I'm very careful right now, because I don't have a screen protector, yet. I hope it'll be here on Monday :D 

Man, there sure is a lot of garbage in the eShop, isn't there?  
And the current sale is full of it. I guess this is what you get with the Switch? Horrible sales for digital games? :p 
Anyway, lovely device as a whole. I'm very careful right now, because I don't have a screen protector, yet. I hope it'll be here on Monday  

The e-shop is a mess. And all the good sales finished a few days ago, there’s nothing decent on sale at the moment unfortunately.

Welcome to the club.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Man, there sure is a lot of garbage in the eShop, isn't there? :o 
And the current sale is full of it. 

Yup. We went from having a launch period of carefully curated (for the most part) indie games to now where any old tripe ends up on the shop. Sadly, the place is flooded with it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

And all the good sales finished a few days ago, there’s nothing decent on sale at the moment unfortunately.

giphy.gif

I'm just hoping for a Slay the Spire Christmas deal :D 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sadly, the place is flooded with it. 

Yeah, noticed it while browsing the shop. Most of it looks like the shit you see on the Google PlayStore :nono:

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

I am now a Switch owner :D
And that dock...don't get me started. Will see for a while whether I'll put it to use or if that horrible piece of plastic is just there to be sold :p

Welcome to the club. :D

Also, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the dock, definitely get that screen protector asap, I've had one on my Switch since launch and it's probably what saved the machine from scratches from the dock, once you've got that protector on though, you really don't need to worry so much, also sometimes the dock won't behave like it should and you need to wiggle a few cables to get it working again but once it's all set up properly is will tend to work reliably for a long time.

Yeah, OK... maybe you are right to dismiss the dock :p especially as you'll be playing in portable mode by your own admission, however... there is one area where I've found the dock to be a must and that is when playing games such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online, also to do that if you want to take advantage of a wired connection you need to buy an official Nintendo Switch Ethernet dongle, and I'd also advise on getting a mini USB hub if you want extra connections but I say this from experience that once you're playing Smash online, on the big screen with your controller of choice (another adapter is required if you want to use a GC controller of course) ;) then there really isn't anything much better than that...

...except for Slay the Spire* of course. :grin:

*totally unfounded claim, I haven't played the game myself but you keep telling me it's good (I'll get it at some point) and we know this is what you'll mostly be playing on the Switch anyway.

Whatever you end up playing though and regardless of how you choose to play, enjoy! :peace:

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

there is one area where I've found the dock to be a must and that is when playing games such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate online

Not going to buy it, so yeah :p 
My online gaming needs are met by the PS4, anyways.

9 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

...except for Slay the Spire* of course. :grin:

Nothing is better than Slay the Spire. If there is a game I'd want to play on my deathbed it'll be this.

9 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

*totally unfounded claim, I haven't played the game myself but you keep telling me it's good (I'll get it at some point) and we know this is what you'll mostly be playing on the Switch anyway.

First of all, I keep telling EVERYONE that it's good. :p 
And yes, from now on I'll probably refer to my Switch as "Slay the Spire machine", even though I don't own the game, yet.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Not going to buy it, so yeah :p 
My online gaming needs are met by the PS4, anyways.

Nothing is better than Slay the Spire. If there is a game I'd want to play on my deathbed it'll be this.

First of all, I keep telling EVERYONE that it's good. :p 
And yes, from now on I'll probably refer to my Switch as "Slay the Spire machine", even though I don't own the game, yet.

I get why you're not buying Smash but I also don't get why you're not buying it, but I respect your decision all the same...

...you monster! :p

I'm guessing that because you've played it locally at a friends house a lot and prefer to play it locally maybe... which I can totally understand but even so, it's nice to have the option to play online because it offers a completely different experience, but I digress.

Anyway, never mind all that because I just found this...

Slay The Spire for Nintendo Switch only £27.96 on eBay with code "PARTYTIME" (20% off, expires tonight, selected sellers only)

And yes, I bought a copy because on the Switch it seems like the physical version of Slay The Spire is an odd one which isn't stocked everywhere and I know that me purchasing it at some point was going to be inevitable because... reasons! Also, oddly it's not available on The Game Collection but the seller on eBay is The Game Collection Outlet... so they had copies of it at some point I presume but just not on their main site, which... actually works out better as the game is now cheaper by getting it from them but via eBay. ::shrug:

I can't say when I'm going to play Slay the Spire mind... but I bought it now at least and if you want to get a cheap physical copy of it @drahkon then you can, there's still a few left. :peace:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm guessing that because you've played it locally at a friends house a lot and prefer to play it locally maybe... which I can totally understand but even so, it's nice to have the option to play online because it offers a completely different experience, but I digress.

Yeah, local is the way to go for my Nintendo multuplayer needs. I prefer to trash-talk in person during my typical ownage in Smash Bros and Mario Kart :D 

8 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I can't say when I'm going to play Slay the Spire mind...

How about as soon as it arrives? :p 

I'm going for a digital version, since this is pretty much my go-to game right now and I'd hate to switch cartridges in the future :D 

In other news, since I don't own any games, yet, I decided to give Tetris 99 a go and while I suck at Tetris it's still weirdly fun. Getting my ass kicked but that's to be expected when you're this bad :laughing: 

Pretty cool that my sister added me to the family subscription so now I get acces to the NES and SNES library, too. :peace: 

• Thanks 1

I have an issue with my Pro Controller where it's not exactly disconnecting completely, but while I'm playing it keeps entering a state randomly where I have to press any button, then it very quickly vibrates and starts working again. I don't think it's completely disconnecting as that takes a few seconds to reconnect I think, and it's starting working immediately after a button press. Just wonder if anyone's experienced anything similar?

Other info:

- This has been happening for about a week
- I have the controller connected via USB at all times
- I've tried completely powering off the console and turning it back on again
- I have the latest Switch system update
- The controller is not low on battery
- I've only experienced this with Pokemon Sword so far haven't tested this on any other games yet, which I'll be doing later but wanted to see if anyone else has this problem too
- The controller has never been dropped or damaged in any way, same for the console

At the price I paid, I'll be quite dissapointed if the controller's actually faulty in some way... :(

Anyway, any help/advice much appreciated. :)

Edited by Sckewi

@Sckewi do you keep your controller connected via USB for the same reason that I do because you don't like using a wireless connection?

If so, then I'm assuming in the options you'll have the option turned on in the menu to make the controller only connect to the console when the USB cable is inserted instead of charging.

If you don't have that option enabled, then each time you've had the controller connected via USB, it has still been wirelessly connected but only charging.

Updating the firmware as Dennis has said though is also worth doing, in fact, you either need to updated the console firmware and/or the controller firmware to get the above option.

Interestingly, I had noticed that my Pron Controller did something similar the other night but I just put that down to me using a USB extender, usually reconnecting that works.

It didn't last time though, so I just used my GC controller to play Mario Kart 8 DX on Thursday, chances are the next time I use the Switch it will be fine, if not I'll let you know.

I hope this helps anyway.

• Thanks 1

Another thought, have you got another cable to try it with? If you are using the controller in wired mode and there is a bad connection with the cable then maybe that's causing the disconnect and pushing the button is causing it to reconnect again wirelessly?

• Thanks 2

Ah, woops, sorry I think it was my fault...

I just turned the Pro Controller itself off and on using the circle button next to where the USB goes. Then I roamed the Wild Area for a bit and did some Max Raids, enough time that usually it would have happened about 5 times by then. And the problem seems to have gone away.

I think I actually now vaugely recall my Switch telling me I should turn off and on my Pro Controller after an update some time ago and I just sort of forgot. xD

Anyway, seems to be working now. :)

Edited by Sckewi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

content-4-36077-indieworld10122019banner.jpg

And it's now up on the front page. :D

Thanks to @Helmsly for sharing the information on this with us so quickly, I credited you in the article. :smile:

We'll be sure to report on it right after the presentation airs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soooo, how does the SNES online multiplayer thingy work? Is it friends only, or can you also play with randoms? 

25 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Soooo, how does the SNES online multiplayer thingy work? Is it friends only, or can you also play with randoms? 

Pretty sure it's friends only (but I haven't touched (S)NES multiplayer in a while. If I remember correctly it specifically shows friends that are currently playing and have online enabled.

Edit: Now you have a Switch Slay the Spire machine™, let me point you to the friend codes thread (also check the Google doc posted in the OP):

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, drahkon said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5071dad30b1f46adf2

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5071dad30b1f46adf2

In hindsight, that was definitely a stupid question :D 

• Haha 2

This is Nintendo. There's a possibility that you could only play with randoms and not friends.

• Haha 2