Labo
Sushi Striker
NSMBUDX
Super Mario Maker 2
Ring Fit Adventure
Brain Age Switch
Animal Crossing New Horizons

January 2018 - March 2020.

Yeah, definitely healthy.... @Dcubed was right the first time. For a company of Nintendo's standards, I think that is pathetic, especially for the second and third year of a major console release. Three ports, two casual games and two sequels.

The games they got out in the first nine months were superb. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year with the Switch. I've loved the last two years too, and it has quickly become my favourite console of all time, but something is seriously wrong if they went from (sometimes single-handedly) supporting a handheld and home console system simultaneously over the past 25-30 years to THAT. Content wise, I expected them to maintain the level of the first nine months over the course of the next three to four years.

Honestly, at this point, I actually welcome them farming stuff out more often to second party. I think letting other devs tackle their franchises and Nintendo sort of taking on the Daddy role of watching over them will likely lead to more variation and maybe even stuff that people actually want, given their apparent reluctance to do it themselves. If that's what they're doing, great. But when many people (including myself) have a vested interest in the vastly talented FIRST PARTY (read: internal R&D) developers at Nintendo and primarily bought the console for their games and their innovation, the info above simply doesn't make pleasant reading. Something is changing at Nintendo and I'm fairly sceptical it'll work out well in the long run. That's my opinion though. I could very easily be wrong. If you like Sushi Striker and Brain Age, I'm happy for you. That's not what I'm after for my Switch, and I hope they have good stuff cooking behind the scenes. Second party development, it seems to me, is a bigger risk, regardless of how close the collaboration is. I've already seen people hoping the potential Super Metroid remake isn't going to Mercury Steam. I also definitely wouldn't want to see them making any ports in-house.

Saying "what are you talking about?", criticising other people's choice of words to form their own opinion and replying with one word answers to those opinions is not the way to win people over to your way of thinking. 

I can play that game if that's what you want though. 
lo9qze309uz11.png

You'll be needing this when you join the Nintendo Defence Force. You have my axe, as well, brave warrior. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I don't have a patronising image for the entitled, never-happy internet gamer. I wholeheartedly apologise to him for writing "What are you talking about?", not long after he accused me of being "detached from reality" when I said I expected PS5 to retail for about £300-400. I'm just surprised that after an insanely good 2019 people still manage to complain about the Switch's software output.

I've already laid out what the internal EPD studios are working on at the moment.

EPD 3: BOTW Sequel
EPD 4: Brain Age
EPD 5: Animal Crossing New Horizons
EPD 8: ?? (3D Mario team)
EPD 9: Mario Kart Tour support (at least) 
EPD 10: ?? (2D Mario team)

We've no idea how much of the 9 team is on MK Tour and how much of it is working on an announced game. Regardless, I don't see much to complain about in the above. We've also got a big January Direct coming up shortly when they tend to do their big reveals (more so than at E3 lately)

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry I don't have a patronising image for the entitled, never-happy internet gamer.

You are just too much :laughing::laughing::laughing:

he accused me of being "detached from reality" when I said I expected PS5 to retail for about £300-400. 

He's right.

EPD 3: BOTW Sequel
EPD 4: Brain Age
EPD 5: Animal Crossing New Horizons
EPD 8: ?? (3D Mario team)
EPD 9: Mario Kart Tour support (at least) 
EPD 10: ?? (2D Mario team)

Mario and Zelda. Quelle surprise.

We've no idea how much of the 9 team is on MK Tour and how much of it is working on an announced game. Regardless, I don't see much to complain about in the above. We've also got a big January Direct coming up shortly when they tend to do their big reveals (more so than at E3 lately)

3hukzw.jpg 

A lot of your posts seem to contain that. My opinion is just as valid as yours, and in my opinion, you love talking out of your arse and thinking you are right about everything.

I'll go back to being a, what was it, "entitled, never-happy internet gamer."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't hope they spent long on Brain Age. ...

It does indeed seem like they have not been able to keep up the pace from previous years but it could be that they are spending more time supporting the second party developers who are working on their franchises. 

Edited by MindFreak

3 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

you love talking out of your arse

Says the man who needed educating that MonolithSoft is a first party studio, and calls Nintendo's software over the Switch's 2 years and 9 months "pathetic". 

This debate was started because it was "clear as day where Nintendo's priorities lie: in the mobile market" allegedly. In a year where they've done nothing but shove top quality Switch games down our throat, just because a grand total of one internal EPD development team is currently helping develop Mario Kart Tour, and another developed Super Mario Run three years ago. Yep, clear as day Nintendo only care about mobile gaming now. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 1

Come on lads, let's bring the temperature down a bit shall we?

Look, there both reason to be concerned, and evidence that everything is tickety boo. On the positive side the Switch is a marvellous console, and it's not crazy to imagine that Nintendo would want to measure the strength of year 1 before committing hard to further development, which in reality would only begin to show itself next year.

On the other hand this wouldn't be the first time Ninty has pulled a fast one on its loyal fans. They were very quick to forget us when the whole 'blue ocean' strategy was still hot in the Wii's golden age.

So let's give it a year, let's see what 2020 has to offer. 

My bet is that they'll give us 2 top class games next year, whilst plunging a bit deeper into the mobile market for a couple years, until they realise that's a market in which they will not garner any brand loyalty, before moving onto the next thing.

Good news though lads. Indies are where it's at. Go buy Banner Saga.

Edited by LazyBoy

Just now, Ronnie said:

Says the man 

Please don't assume my gender, bigot. Am I doing gaming forums right? 

Switch's 2 years and 9 months "pathetic"

Wrong, the last two years. Since Jan 2018. Please read my posts with greater care. 

Ronnie, I wrote what I though above. It's all very clearly laid out. Made concessions, accepted I could be wrong about things. I've said my piece. You chose to make personal attacks instead of discussing what I'd said specifically regarding Nintendo's first party output. We can go round in circles with you trying to one up me, or we can accept the point that Nintendo's FIRST PARTY output over the past couple of years has been weak compared to the past.

This debate was started because it was "clear as day where Nintendo's priorities lie: in the mobile market" allegedly

Wrong or right: They are dedicating more time now to mobile development than they did three years ago to the detriment of their switch output? I'd argue, yes. 

In a year where they've done nothing but shove top quality Switch games down our throat

Yes, the second party studios have done a great job, something I did actually mention in my previous post. See: The Switch is my favourite console of all time.

just because a grand total of one internal EPD development team is currently helping develop Mario Kart Tour, and another developed Super Mario Run three years ago. Yep, clear as day Nintendo only care about mobile gaming now. 

One out of seven studios is still just under 15% of their internal output. Quite a chunk. Mario Kart 9 would be nice. Or some more DLC for 8. Switch output of internal studios is at 85% of what the Wii U was = at the detriment. But nope, we get the absolutely scummy trashfest that is Mario Kart Tour. Care to disagree?

Nothing you say will convince me otherwise regarding their poor output, especially when it's written in black and white in both D-Cubed's post and yours. You seem to care a lot more about words people use than the actual content of what they're saying. Re-read my previous post regarding first / second party output and let me know what you think about it because your petty insults are tiresome. Also, feel free to educate me some more. You could probably sit down and masturbate a bit afterwards so you REALLY start to feel good about yourself. Monolith is owned by Nintendo, they worked on Zelda BOTW. Are they their own company or an "external R&D" part of Nintendo? If they're fully integrated into Nintendo, why do they still have the Monolith Soft monkier and have four studios? My knowledge of Japanese is non-existent, but at a guess (we know you love to do that), I'd say they still have a certain degree of independence. Surely they should be sat next to Iwata's desk in Kyoto if they are first party? Can you tell us how much Nintendo paid them for their contribution to BOTW? How much input did Nintendo have in Xenoblade 2, because I'm going through it now and it seems to me there is a distinct lack of Nintendo's hand in that game. For the better. TELL ME RONNIE, I NEED TO KNOW. HOW FIRST PARTY ARE THEY?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Yes, the second party studios have done a great job

You act as if Nintendo had no input. Do you think that Next Level Games woke up one morning and said "Today we're going to make a new Luigi's Mansion game" or Good Feel do the same with Yoshi? No, Nintendo go to them and commission them to make a new game for their console. What does it matter if it's an EPD team or not? Regardless of you dismissing the critically-acclaimed Mario and Zelda series, there are 6 internal development teams, a 2D Mario one, a 3D Mario one, a Zelda one, a Mario Kart/ARMS one, typically an Animal Crossing one, and a sixth one that does quirkier titles. All of them are working on games, two of them just put out Game of the Year contenders. One is currently supporting a mobile game.

12 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Mario Kart 9 would be nice. Or some more DLC for 8. But nope, we get the absolutely scummy trashfest that is Mario Kart Tour.

Crazy concept I know but maybe, just maybe, they're working on Mario Kart 9 or 8 DLC concurrently with Tour. A mobile game which, maybe you don't know, is also being co-developed by Bandai Namco and DeNA. You can throw up a patronising "speculation" gif all you want, funnily enough, that's what message boards are for. Oh comedy gold like the below...

16 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

You could probably sit down and masturbate a bit afterwards so you REALLY start to feel good about yourself.

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You act as if Nintendo had no input. Do you think that Next Level Games woke up one morning and said "Today we're going to make a new Luigi's Mansion game" or Good Feel do the same with Yoshi? No, Nintendo go to them and commission them to make a new game for their console. What does it matter if it's an EPD team or not? Regardless of you dismissing the critically-acclaimed Mario and Zelda series, there are 6 internal development teams, a 2D Mario one, a 3D Mario one, a Zelda one, a Mario Kart/ARMS one, typically an Animal Crossing one, and a sixth one that does quirkier titles. All of them are working on games, two of them just put out Game of the Year contenders. One is currently supporting a mobile game.

1) Mercury Steam. The backlash is real for Super Metroid.
2) Luigi's Mansion was EAD / Miyamoto. Passing the buck. Just like they did with the original F-Zero, Pilotwings, 1080, WaveRace and the others that have disappered / been handed down to other studios and subsequently been on indefinite hiatus. Though I haven't played LM3, by all accounts it's an amazing game. Kudos to Next Level. However...
3) Yoshi's Crafted World and Link's Awakening had horrible framerate issues. This wouldn't have happened in-house. Seal of quality? Nah. 

Quoting myself because you obviously missed it: Second Party is a risk

Crazy concept I know but maybe, just maybe, they're working on Mario Kart 9 or 8 DLC concurrently with Tour. A mobile game which, maybe you don't know, is also being co-developed by Bandai Namco and DeNA. You can throw up a patronising "speculation" gif all you want, funnily enough, that's what message boards are for. 

3hukzw.jpg

My speculation is that this EAD studio are stuck on mobile games until the end of time. 85% output. It's the future, baby. 

• Like 1

The point isn’t that Nintendo have stopped making quality games, or that their output as a publisher isn’t great.  The point is that the output from their internal studios has plummeted ever since they merged EAD and SPD in 2016.  And that Intelligent Systems seem to have all but given up on making titles for traditional gaming devices; having released literally nothing for Switch for three years (though it’s worth noting that they released Shadows of Valentia in 2017 and also co-developed Wario Ware Gold for the 3DS alongside EPD).

It’s concerning that their output has dropped so dramatically; and that they have relied so heavily on leaning on their existing Wii U games & assets (whether you count direct Wii U ports, or sequels that are clearly built on top of existing Wii U games - of which BOTW 2 will be yet another).

Meanwhile, they’ve been very productive on mobile...

There is reason to be concerned; as things aren’t going smoothly internally at Nintendo at all.  Sure, Monolith Soft are doing great, as are Nintendo’s affiliated 2nd parties, but EPD and Intelligent Systems? We already know that Metroid Prime 4 crashed and burned, and there’s reason to suspect that Namco and Nintendo had a falling out behind the scenes (evidenced by what Namco did with Dark Souls Remastered, their refusal to support the platform with proper day-and-date releases and the fact that Ring Fit Adventure is the first EAD/EPD production since 2014 to have no involvement from Namco or Monolith Soft as co-developer); which is a big problem because EPD/EAD have leaned heavily on Namco as a support developer ever since 2014.  It’s clear that something isn’t right with EPD right now...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

So, I've decided to get Mario Party for my daughter via the US eshop as that's the best deal for now. What I would like to now is if I need the online subscription for the full game? I think that it was mentioned that to unlock all minigames, you need to play online, buz maybe I am wrong. Thx.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kounan said:

So, I've decided to get Mario Party for my daughter via the US eshop as that's the best deal for now. What I would like to now is if I need the online subscription for the full game? I think that it was mentioned that to unlock all minigames, you need to play online, buz maybe I am wrong. Thx.

No, you don't need an online subscription to unlock everything.

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

No, you don't need an online subscription to unlock everything.

Thx :).

Absolutely loving Mario Odyssey so far. Exploring and finding hidden moons while on the way to the main one feels immensely rewarding. 

I'm so glad it went with the Banjo style, I never liked being kicked out of a level when collection a Star.

Controlling all the different creatures is great fun, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cube said:

Absolutely loving Mario Odyssey so far. Exploring and finding hidden moons while on the way to the main one feels immensely rewarding. 

I'm so glad it went with the Banjo style, I never liked being kicked out of a level when collection a Star.

Controlling all the different creatures is great fun, too.

Can someone move this post to the general retro discussion thread. :p

• Haha 1

Alright, I'm thinking about getting a Switch for Christmas. I don't have anything useful to buy/save for and will most likely get some money for Christmas so have disposable funds :D 

Still contemplating whether it'll be worth it.
I know that I'd definitely be interested in Slay the Spire. Having this on the go would be amazing. Other than that, what is there? E.g., I've played Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey and didn't enjoy them. What about other offerings from either Nintendo as a first party studio or second party studios (to add, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are a given; these are games that I would eventually buy)? Would there be games that I enjoy? What about exclusive indies? Or indies that came to the Switch via the Microsoft deal or whatever the fuck that was?

@Hero-of-Time probably knows the most about my gaming taste, so gimme a run down :p 
And to the pitiful rest: Feel free to chime in :D Except @Glen-i because I don't like his frog-Pokémon avatar (YES, I CALLED IT FROG AGAIN).

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I know that I'd definitely be interested in Slay the Spire. Having this on the go would be amazing. Other than that, what is there? E.g., I've played Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey and didn't enjoy them. What about other offerings from either Nintendo as a first party studio or second party studios (to add, Mario Kart and Smash Bros are a given; these are games that I would eventually buy)? Would there be games that I enjoy? What about exclusive indies? Or indies that came to the Switch via the Microsoft deal or whatever the fuck that was?

I can't speak for your gaming taste but we've had Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest from Microsoft (And Minecraft...). Both solid additions to the Switch Library and great for handheld gaming. If you haven't played Hollow Knight yet, what are you doing? :laughing: If you have, also nice to have on the go. I put way more time into Stardew Valley on Switch over Steam because handheld. I'd generally say avoid multi-plat indies that are 3D and graphics heavy (like Rocket League, for example) because they generally look awful on the Switch. I'm personally wanting all the PS1 Final Fantasy games because again, handheld as an option is mega for longer games.

There are barely any exclusive indies but Golf Story was a lot of fun and Tetris 99 is worth it for the online sub alone. 

I have a few indie games on both Switch and Steam and the Switch always wins out because it's just way more convenient. Be prepared to pay for that convenience though.

As for non-indie exclusives, there are plenty. Mario and Rabbids was surprisingly fun. Xenoblade 2 is amazing. Octopath Traveller is a nice throwback to 16-bit RPGs. Splatoon 2 is still going strong and now is not a bad time to jump in. ARMS was cool but the online is probably dead now. Have a look at a list of exclusives and see what grabs your fancy. There's plenty of stuff similar to MK and Smash from Nintendo and second parties. 

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Hero-of-Time probably knows the most about my gaming taste, so gimme a run down :p 

Off the top of my head, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveller and Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle are games that you would probably enjoy. The Microsoft games are Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead. Honestly, I wouldn't bother picking one up as I think most of your gaming needs are being met elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

If you haven't played Hollow Knight yet, what are you doing? :laughing:

I have :p 

10 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

I put way more time into Stardew Valley on Switch over Steam because handheld.

This is a game I have on my Vita, so several indies I've already covered on the best handheld ever created :p 

11 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

There are barely any exclusive indies but Golf Story was a lot of fun and Tetris 99 is worth it for the online sub alone. 

I've always been interested in Golf Story so that's one in the "pro coloumn". Tetris 99 is not on my list because I am way too good at Tetris. I'd ruin the entire community's experience. Nah, I don't like Tetris, tbh.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Off the top of my head, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Octopath Traveller and Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle are games that you would probably enjoy. The Microsoft games are Ori and the Blind Forest and Cuphead.

Yeah, those are pretty much the games that I'm interested in without looking up anything. 

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, I wouldn't bother picking one up as I think most of your gaming needs are being met elsewhere.

Hmm, that's true, but I still wonder whether the Switch could be a nice complementary device to my PS4. Which is why I'm asking :D 

8 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Hmm, that's true, but I still wonder whether the Switch could be a nice complementary device to my PS4. Which is why I'm asking :D 

You are just wanting us to justify you splashing £200 on a Slay the Spire machine, aren't you? :p 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weird 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You are just wanting us to justify you splashing £200 on a Slay the Spire machine, aren't you? :p 

you-got-me-gif-6.gif

• Haha 1

It's basically the Vita, but better, and with first party support. What's not to like.

5 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Have a look at a list of exclusives and see what grabs your fancy.

Did it now.

Retail

• Astral Chain
  • Xenoblades Chronicles 2
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Digital

• Golf Story
  • Cuphead
  • Ori and the Blind Forest

Then there's the prospect of double dipping (Slay the SpireDead Cells, and others).

Consindering the (supposed) quality of these games I'd say a Switch would be worth it now. However, I'm also thinking about the Switch's future and it doesn't particularly fill me with hope that I'll get enough out of the console in the long run. And there's also the fact that a Switch plus one retail game would cost me 350€ (and maybe half of it would come from Christmas gifts). Would probably sell the dock, though, so maybe minus 40-50€.

Not an easy decision. Since I have a certain amount of disposable income this year I'm 60-70% in favour of buying a Switch :D 

Tune in next time to another episode of "Will drahkon buy a Switch to only play Slay the Spire?". It's a nailbiter, I can tell you. Because I'm writing the show and I'm an amazing writer. Seriously. 

• Like 1

I was actually considering creating a thread for Slay the spire. Maybe I will later.